PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Improved Familiars

herrhauptmann
2013-05-15, 03:41 AM
The feat improved familiar is listed in a number of books (DMG, PGtF, CWar, CScoun, to name a few), each time it lists a new set of animals that can be used, and the appropriate adjustment to the casters effective level.

That's great if you want to use one of those creatures for your familiar, but what if someone wants something different?
Is there any guideline that lets a player (or the DM) determine how many levels he must have before calling that better familiar?

EX:
camelopardel from Sandstorm, 5HD CR3, Size Large, and magical beast during normal conditions.
I'd think that an adjustment of 8 (HD+CR) would be appropriate. So a 9th level wizard with that thing would get the same benefits of a 1st level wizard with his rat.

If there is a better adjustment, would someone be willing to quote their method or the page number where they found an official method?

ArcturusV
2013-05-15, 03:53 AM
Seems kinda weird. Even the "Improved" lists tend to be small/tiny creatures. So having something Large, or a potential mount as a "Familiar" seems kinda strange to me. It'd be the one guideline I'd really use. Familiar being small animals that help out, rather than large beasts of burden.

Zombie Cat: Seems like a good familiar.
Crab: Good familiar.
Worg: ... leave it for Animal Companions/Mount abilities.

eggynack
2013-05-15, 04:00 AM
If what you want is just a big ol' guy to run around and punch stuff, then maybe the wild cohort feat is a better option than improved familiar. If you really want the magical flavor of it all, then that feat seems like a decent baseline for how powerful your familiar should be at any given level.

herrhauptmann
2013-05-15, 04:00 AM
Seems kinda weird. Even the "Improved" lists tend to be small/tiny creatures. So having something Large, or a potential mount as a "Familiar" seems kinda strange to me. It'd be the one guideline I'd really use. Familiar being small animals that help out, rather than large beasts of burden.

Zombie Cat: Seems like a good familiar.
Crab: Good familiar.
Worg: ... leave it for Animal Companions/Mount abilities.

Winter wolf is large, 6 HD and CR 5.
Hippogriff is large, 3 HD, and CR 2, but it flies (winged template is CR +1 or LA+2, but is probably more powerful than that).
You can get both at level 7.

By that standard, the +8 I used for the camel-thing is too high.

unseenmage
2013-05-15, 06:52 AM
I just researched this a few weeks ago for myself and the best answer I saw (sorry can't seem to find the link now) was CR 1 at 3rd lvl, every 2 lvls +1 CR and that the familiar couldn't be more than one step from it's master on the alignment or type scales.

lv1 - CR 3
lvl3 - CR 4
lvl5 - CR 5
etc.

Big Fau
2013-05-15, 07:08 AM

Duskblades would disagree.

Vizzerdrix
2013-05-15, 11:29 AM
Hmm... I wish Skirids where on an improved familiar list somewhere. So hard talking DMs into allowing it though. :smallsigh:

Zergling
2013-05-18, 10:38 AM
I think a shocker lizard would be good :smallamused:

Flickerdart
2013-05-18, 11:42 AM
I'm not sure where you got the idea that a wizard subtracts the minimum CL from his level to determine the familiar's abilities.

AzureNightshade
2013-05-18, 03:40 PM
I have some questions along these lines, If I as a Duskblade use Chill Touch and Channel it through my sword, would my familiar also gain that number of Chill Touch attacks, as long as what it is Chill Touching is with in 5 Feet of me?
Due to Share Spells.

Same Question for Produce Flame and Flame Blade

Can Duskblade channel spells through the Flame Blade?

Zanfire
2013-05-18, 06:14 PM
Unssenmage has it right I believe. Iirc, in the description it says something along the lines of "or similar cr", so extrapolate from the chart listed iirc its another CR for every level. Was able to pick up a janni off the bat and got an effriti cleared for after a few levels.

Flickerdart
2013-05-18, 06:21 PM
Unssenmage has it right I believe. Iirc, in the description it says something along the lines of "or similar cr", so extrapolate from the chart listed iirc its another CR for every level. Was able to pick up a janni off the bat and got an effriti cleared for after a few levels.
In what way is a Janni or Efreeti similar in power to CR1 and 2 creatures?

Gnome Alone
2013-05-18, 08:04 PM
I think the various rules for it all boil down to "Dude, do you realize how many monsters there are? I dunno... Just ask your DM, ok?"

nedz
2013-05-19, 05:18 AM
Is there anyway to have familiars share SLAs ?
I'm thinking about a Warlock exploit here.