PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Tell me all the thief special abilities you have in mind!

CinuzIta
2013-05-15, 05:23 AM
hello everyone!

I'm building a new prc for thieves. The point is that I'm not sure on the way to fill some dead levels.
So it'd be very nice of you guys if you could tell me all the thief special abilities that come in your mind.

They can be of low level or high level alike, but I'd prefer them to be mainly Ex abilities rather than Su..and no magic abilities at all, please:)

Thank you in advance!

ben-zayb
2013-05-15, 05:35 AM
What do you mean by that? Is their a base class called Thief?

If you are looking for an expanded spellthief-like ability, this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129956) has a PrC and some Feats that might interest/inspire you.

Other than that, I've had a concept for a "Thief" class before, but have no time to refine a possible homebrew, not to mention I'm not good on gauging balance.

CinuzIta
2013-05-15, 06:37 AM
what I mean by "thief abilities" is all of those rogue's, and related prcs', special abilities aimed at making the character a better thief: moving without being noticed, having success in theft that was thougt of as impossible and things like that.

let's see if I can explain myself a bit better: the prc I'm creating is called Beggar, and is an adept robber and thief..

an exponent of this class can steal a lady's bracelet while kissing her hand without her even noticing it until she'll think at unwearing her jewelry..

The special abilities I'm looking for are supposed to make a character a better thief in this way..robbering and stealing anything without being noticed at all..you may argue that even a rogue with maxed Sleight of Hand could do the same thing, but these is why I'm looking for new special abilities: to make this prc different from the normal rogue..

This is why I want mainly extraordinary abilities rather than supernatural or spell like abilities [again, as I said I'd like the class to not have spell-like abilities at all]: I'd like this prc to be the classical master thief rather than a supa dupa magic thief..

By this I don't mean the prc should have theft related special abilities only! Also some combat ability would be nice..

Hope I explained myself a bit better:)

ben-zayb
2013-05-15, 06:53 AM
I had this homebrew idea for a stealth character once, and one of his passive greater ability is to selectively increase the spot/listen check DCs to see/hear him (i.e. his allies can hear him shout while his enemies will likely not notice it).

Maybe you can apply that to the spot checks vs sleight of hand checks, and spot checks vs items(or previous item location) that you stole.

CinuzIta
2013-05-15, 07:10 AM
okay, that's interesting, but how did the DC increase? He get a bonus equal to his class level or something?

ben-zayb
2013-05-15, 08:23 AM
okay, that's interesting, but how did the DC increase? He get a bonus equal to his class level or something?

Scales with level. Not sure if that's balanced though... The main reason why I am not homebrewing yet :smalltongue:

CinuzIta
2013-05-15, 08:51 AM
i see :p well thank you for the suggestion and if you [or any other person around here] have more, please share them with me!:)

togapika
2013-05-15, 11:02 AM
Hides so well, he can hide from peoples memory, making it so either they can't remember him at all or it takes a high check of some kind.

CinuzIta
2013-05-15, 11:38 AM
i like this ability and I find it to be quite fitting: usually people do not remember the face of a poor beggar they see on the streets:)

Vadskye
2013-05-15, 12:45 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents

This has a lot of ideas. Not all of them are good or balanced, but they are great fuel for thought.

CinuzIta
2013-05-15, 01:33 PM
thank you, that was useful!

smoke prism
2013-05-15, 02:45 PM
An ability that let's you visualise the quickest and most efficient way to a location of you're chose. The limiter is that you must be familiar with the area (must have, at leased studied a map of the area). This works like the pathfinding ability in video games like singularity (thought it can be re-fluffed so that you just know were you're go)

Hope that this is helpful. I also have a question about how this prc gains it's abilities: is it just given the ability at the appropriate level, or is it given a list of appropriate abilities to pick from ?

CinuzIta
2013-05-15, 05:10 PM
the class gains its abilities with levels, but if I manage to collect a good number of appropriate abilities I may think at letting the character choose its abilities from a list!