PDA

View Full Version : Half Orc Twin Dagger fighter

CommanderCronos
2013-05-15, 05:53 AM
Hey all,

ok so I had an idea for a cool character. It would be a big tough and strong half-orc who uses daggers with terrifying ferocity!! haha.

Im really just wondering how you guys would go about this. Ive got a few ideas but i was looking for some input. I can't decided if he should be a fighter or ranger or barbarian. I think the idea of him wearing furs would be cool. so a ranger or barb might be cool. Of course the extra feats of a fighter would be useful since i want to focus primarily on his dagger fighting and not much else.

I have access to most core books as well as complete warrior, complete scoundrel, complete adventurer, complete arcane, complete mage, underdark guide, races of faerun, book of vile darkness, PH2, champions of ruin and a few other random ones.

Any sugestions would be appreciated on a good build for this guy. As i say i want him to be a high str,con,dex combat focused char.

Thanks

Yuukale
2013-05-15, 10:16 AM
if you want to be a two-weapon user, you should check this: Two Weapon Fighting off-Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279079)

You should get extra damage, so the best instance would be a Lion Totem Barbarian (the complete champion one, not the unearthed arcana one) 1/ Scout 3/ Ranger 4.

Lots of skirmish damage and you may pounce (due to barbarian variant), thus moving and full-attacking.

Others may suggest other routes, but I believe this is the easiest.

Ps: I'm AFB so I might have gotten something wrong.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-05-15, 10:26 AM
If by any chance you have access to Tome of Battle a Warblade with a two level dip into Bloodclaw master is pretty neat, you get your full strength modifier (which as a half orc should be quite high) to damage with daggers and other weapons.

Also if you have a limited point buy, two levels of ranger help a lot since you can get TWF for free and without the Dex pre-requisites and if you have access to Magic Item Compendium you can get gloves of the balanced hand, which for 8000 gp get you ITWF.

Darrin
2013-05-15, 02:44 PM
if you want to be a two-weapon user, you should check this: Two Weapon Fighting off-Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279079)

Thanks for the plug!

You should get extra damage, so the best instance would be a Lion Totem Barbarian (the complete champion one, not the unearthed arcana one) 1/ Scout 3/ Ranger 4.

This would be my advice, although I would probably add:

Race = Frostblood Half-Orc. Swap your Endurance feat for something more interesting. After that, become a Dragonborn of Bahumat to swap Track for Dragon Tail (RotD). If you have room for it, add Prehensile Tail (Serpent Kingdoms/Savage Species) for a third dagger. This also opens up Multiweapon Fighting/Improved Multiweapon Fighting/Greater Multiweapon Fighting (Savage Species), although how exactly those interact with a ranger's TWF combat style isn't entirely clear.

Not sure how dedicated you are to using daggers, but kukris would be just a bit better with an 18-20 crit range. Have them made them with the Feycraft template (+1500 GP each, DMGII), and you can use your Dex bonus to attack as if you had Weapon Finesse. You can also combine Feycraft with Pitspawned (+1000 GP each, DMGII) for a +2 bonus on confirming crits. Make sure you have two wand chambers (100 GP, Dungeonscape) with a wand of instant of power (750 GP, Forge of War) and a wand of blades of fire (750 GP, Spell Compendium).

Dusk Eclipse
2013-05-15, 03:04 PM
Is instant of power on the ranger spell list?

Darrin
2013-05-15, 03:17 PM
Is instant of power on the ranger spell list?

Yep, but the Druid 1 wand is cheaper.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-05-15, 03:27 PM
I would personally go for scout 4, the bonus feat can be used for Improved skirimish; but the rest of Darrin's and Yuukale is pretty solid.

CommanderCronos
2013-05-16, 02:39 AM
Thanks for all the great responses guys. I will have to look into these options.

I will say however that we tend to gain equipment as we go through games and dno't use alot of the templates for weapons from the books. My DM usually makes some pretty cool stuff up himself.

Also im not sure if he would allow tomb of battle stuff since we don't have that book, but i can check.

All these options seem really cool though and i will have a look into allof them and see if he might be willing to let them in.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-16, 02:52 AM
Also im not sure if he would allow tomb of battle stuff since we don't have that book, but i can check.

For what it's worth, Warblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060802a&page=2) and the maneuvers (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20061225a) are available online.

Arc_knight25
2013-05-16, 10:40 AM
Not sure if this interests you at all. But maybe Daggerspell Shaper.

Need your TWF, WF(dagger), Wildshape ability and 1d6 of SA or Skirmish. As well as 8 ranks in Concentration.

Some cool abilities in there.

Darrin
2013-05-16, 11:18 AM
Not sure if this interests you at all. But maybe Daggerspell Shaper.

Need your TWF, WF(dagger), Wildshape ability and 1d6 of SA or Skirmish. As well as 8 ranks in Concentration.

Doesn't work. Once you enter wildshape, your daggers become claws, and are thus no longer eligible for all those TWF feats you wasted your feat slots on.

Urpriest
2013-05-16, 03:16 PM
Doesn't work. Once you enter wildshape, your daggers become claws, and are thus no longer eligible for all those TWF feats you wasted your feat slots on.

You aren't TWFing with your dagger-claws, you're TWFing with your iteratives. As a melee-focused wildshaper you've likely got Improved Unarmed Strike. Either go unarmed-unarmed TWF if you're playing with a DM who is ok with that, or go unarmed-Mouthpick or unarmed-Armor Spikes (for armor put on after wildshaping).

dascarletm
2013-05-16, 04:59 PM
You aren't TWFing with your dagger-claws, you're TWFing with your iteratives. As a melee-focused wildshaper you've likely got Improved Unarmed Strike. Either go unarmed-unarmed TWF if you're playing with a DM who is ok with that, or go unarmed-Mouthpick or unarmed-Armor Spikes (for armor put on after wildshaping).

Urpriest, your avatar... It is shrinking...:smallconfused:

WhatBigTeeth
2013-05-16, 05:30 PM
Half Orc does well with demoralization effects, which the Avenging Executioner PrC can use to facilitate sneak attack damage, which in turn makes TWF a viable combat mode while ignoring the details of the weapons used.

I'd check out Caelic's Fear Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809), and give a Half Orc Paragon 3/Barbarian 1/Sneak Attack Fighter 1/Avenging Executioner 5/Warblade or Scarlet Corsair 10 some consideration.

Depending on how your group manages experience points and interprets the bloodline rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm), a major bloodline could be worthwhile. If you can use one without being more than a level behind, it would be an easy way to keep AE's save DCs in an appropriate range; otherwise, forget I mentioned it.

Urpriest
2013-05-16, 05:52 PM
Urpriest, your avatar... It is shrinking...:smallconfused:

Been trying to figure out how to get my Exalted Week avatar it to a decent size without blurring. Might have gotten it to work now.

shortround
2013-05-16, 06:15 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10609622&postcount=104) Iron Chef entry that uses demoralization and TWF might be helpful. It uses Human Paragon, but the build shouldn't be too hard to adapt to a Half-orc chassis with things like Meancing Demeanour and Half-orc Paragon that make you really good at being terrifyingly ferocious. The Human Paragon is mostly in there to use maps, anyways.

CommanderCronos
2013-05-17, 04:02 AM
Again guys thanks for all the info and responses.

As far as blood lines go I have looked at them in Unearthed Arcana. However my group have never really used them so im not sure how we would work them. I am the longest standing player in my group and as such me and the dm have came up with most of our house rules together over the the years. I tend to be in charge of people making chars since he is more about making a great and fluid campaign and doesnt focus to much on character building most of the time. He does know his stuff though and will of course always have the last say on a variant or rule change in the group.

These suggestions all seem really cool and when i go to make this char i will look over them all again.

One possibility is a ranger variant my group uses where you give up spellcasting and your animal companion and you get the bonus feats of a fighter instead. That could work for this character since he would get alot of TWF feats as he went alon, plus the feats of a fighter would help him focus on cool abilities like perhaps Snatch Trophy and other cool Scary Half Orc ranger stuff.

If i was to go with this type of build what type of feats would you guys suggest i take to make his dagger fighting both efficient and terrifying? (loving all the stuff you guys have said so far)

Also i have the book at home but i havent really lookd at Half-Orc Paragon, but since some people have suggested it do you think it would be worth looking at for this guy??