PDA

View Full Version : Persistent Touch spells

Pandyman
2013-05-15, 06:16 AM
Assuming the application of Reach metamagic or Ocular spell metamagic, what are the best touch spells to persist?

I'm an Eldritch Glaive using Eldritch Disciple, so I won't benefit that much from a persisted haste, since it doesn't affect eldritch glaive. Superior Resistance and Monstrous Regeneration are definitely the two that stick out the most to me, but what are some others?

Jack_Simth
2013-05-15, 07:16 AM
Assuming the application of Reach metamagic or Ocular spell metamagic, what are the best touch spells to persist?

I'm an Eldritch Glaive using Eldritch Disciple, so I won't benefit that much from a persisted haste, since it doesn't affect eldritch glaive. Superior Resistance and Monstrous Regeneration are definitely the two that stick out the most to me, but what are some others?
Superior Resistance doesn't need the metamagic. It's 24 hours by default (at least in Spell Compendium). If you're going Monstrous Regeneration, you may also want Energy Immunity (Fire) and Energy Immunity (Acid) (Again, Spell Compendium, although again, they're both 24 hour durations by default). However: Freedom of Movement and Death Ward stick out.

Techwarrior
2013-05-15, 10:35 AM
won't benefit that much from a persisted haste, since it doesn't affect eldritch glaive.

You should benefit from haste... Eldritch Glaive grants full attacks, which are augmented by haste.

HunterOfJello
2013-05-15, 11:21 AM
What spell levels do you have available?

Cruiser1
2013-05-15, 12:47 PM
See this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15110369&postcount=6) for a list of 284 different spells that are nice to persist when you have Ocular Spell available.

Superior Resistance and Monstrous Regeneration
Note that Monstrous Regeneration was reprinted as Greater Vigor in SC (see SC page 6), so technically Monstrous Regeneration (as a spell that grants true regeneration instead of just fast healing) no longer exists in 3.5.

A_S
2013-05-15, 01:30 PM
You should benefit from haste... Eldritch Glaive grants full attacks, which are augmented by haste.

Incorrect. Eldritch Glaive is not a full attack; it is still a spell-like ability, one with a nonstandard (full round) activation action, which grants touch attacks that deal your EB damage. You get extra touch attacks only based on iterative attacks from BAB, not from any other source of bonus attacks. The wording of the invocation is quite explicit:

If your base attack bonus is +6 or higher, you can (as part of the full round-action) make as many attacks with your eldritch glaive as your base attack bonus allows.

Pandyman
2013-05-15, 08:36 PM
Superior Resistance doesn't need the metamagic. It's 24 hours by default (at least in Spell Compendium). If you're going Monstrous Regeneration, you may also want Energy Immunity (Fire) and Energy Immunity (Acid) (Again, Spell Compendium, although again, they're both 24 hour durations by default). However: Freedom of Movement and Death Ward stick out.

I was looking at the 3.0 version, 24 hours is much better than hour/levels.

What spell levels do you have available?

Right Now I have up to 6th, but I like to be planned ahead for the adventure and it's difficult looking through each book for the touch spells that would help.

Note that Monstrous Regeneration was reprinted as Greater Vigor in SC (see SC page 6), so technically Monstrous Regeneration (as a spell that grants true regeneration instead of just fast healing) no longer exists in 3.5.
I wasn't aware of that, I'll keep that in mind. Also, that list was exactly what I needed. Thanks.

I still wouldn't mind suggestions. I'm sure people have some favorite touch spells.