PDA

View Full Version : Attacking while tumbling?

Tuki Tuki
2013-05-15, 07:18 AM
Is there anything that lets you attack while tumbling or for that matter roll into enemies? And if nor is there anything that lets you not take damage for tumbling into people, only they do? Think of sonic, thats basically what im trying to do.

replies might take awhile, getting schooled

Gerrtt
2013-05-15, 07:30 AM
When tumbling you move at half speed. If you have the spring attack feat you can move at least 5 feet, attack, and if you have movement leftover you can still move. Nothing in either entry indicates that they can't be used in tandem (IE, tumble in, attack, tumble out) but to do so effectively you'd need a move speed of 30+. Otherwise you're only able to move 2 squares because you move at half speed...and what's the point of that?

Not sure if that's what you're looking for though.

Tuki Tuki
2013-05-15, 07:41 AM
When tumbling you move at half speed. If you have the spring attack feat you can move at least 5 feet, attack, and if you have movement leftover you can still move. Nothing in either entry indicates that they can't be used in tandem (IE, tumble in, attack, tumble out) but to do so effectively you'd need a move speed of 30+. Otherwise you're only able to move 2 squares because you move at half speed...and what's the point of that?

Not sure if that's what you're looking for though.

I have 250 movement and spring attack, thats not the problem. I dont want to tumble in, stop and tumble out, I want to tumble the entire time.

mattie_p
2013-05-15, 07:56 AM
Sounds like you want dungeon crasher fighter (ACF from Dungeonscape, p10). Bull rushes knock your opponents into walls or other solid objects, doing extra damage. Unfortunately your high rate of movement won't add bonus damage by the rules, but ask your DM if it might anyway.
In addition, you gain a special benefit when making a bull rush. If you force an opponent to move into a wall or other solid object, he stops as normal. However, your momentum crushes him against it,

Abaddona
2013-05-15, 08:37 AM
Mhm... you could simply flavor mechanical tumblein->attack->tumbleout as a one sequence (for example you strike you opponent during epic arobatic jump over his head).

supermonkeyjoe
2013-05-15, 09:09 AM
Tumble is pretty much the same as movement so RAW anything that lets you attack while moving would accomplish this, so basically just spring attack off the top of my head.

What do you mean you want to "tumble the whole time?" you can only tumble while moving, and from what I can tell, tumble up to someone, make an unarmed attack against them, then tumble through their space and carry on is what you are after?

Tuki Tuki
2013-05-15, 09:34 AM
Tumble is pretty much the same as movement so RAW anything that lets you attack while moving would accomplish this, so basically just spring attack off the top of my head.

What do you mean you want to "tumble the whole time?" you can only tumble while moving, and from what I can tell, tumble up to someone, make an unarmed attack against them, then tumble through their space and carry on is what you are after?

What I mean by tumbling the whole time is I want to basically roll into people and do damage. I'm pulling a sonic the hedgehog right now cause my movement is so high, and I want to be able to roll into people. The only way I see this happening thought is if I tumble straight into people. I have spring attack.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-15, 10:00 AM
That would ether be an unarmed strike or a slam attack. I would think a homebrew feat with tumble prereqs that grants a slam natural weapon would be not out of sorts.

Or just grab improved unarmed strike or a level of monk. Or a monk's belt...

mattie_p
2013-05-15, 10:02 AM
What I mean by tumbling the whole time is I want to basically roll into people and do damage. I'm pulling a sonic the hedgehog right now cause my movement is so high, and I want to be able to roll into people. The only way I see this happening thought is if I tumble straight into people. I have spring attack.

Yeah, look at post 4, I already addressed at least one way to do this. No homebrew feat required for basic damage, ask your DM if it will do more based on your land speed. Requires Fighter 2 (or 6, for additional damage).

Person_Man
2013-05-15, 10:08 AM
Closest thing I can think of is the Elusive Target feat from Complete Warrior. If you provoke an Attack of Opportunity by moving out of a threatened hex and your opponent misses, you receive an automatic Trip attempt against the foe. (And depending on your DM, you might get a follow up attack if you have the Improved Trip Feat). But that doesn't use Tumble - it uses the Mobility feat.

Pickford
2013-05-15, 10:53 AM
Is there anything that lets you attack while tumbling or for that matter roll into enemies? And if nor is there anything that lets you not take damage for tumbling into people, only they do? Think of sonic, thats basically what im trying to do.

Yes. Corkscrew rush from the Drunken Master PrC in Complete Warrior. It's basically a bull rush where you headbutt the opponent.

edit:
If you want to do this as a spiky warrior consider from PHB: Blood-Spiked Charger.

Crake
2013-05-15, 02:22 PM
Find a way to get trample? That sounds about the closest in dnd terms to rushing through people and damaging them. Overrun + damage, knocking the enemy prone. Bonus points of you can get the damage to be piercing like that of a hedgehog.

Edit: Of course, this provokes attacks of opportunity, so tumbling is somewhat pointless :smalltongue:

Icewraith
2013-05-15, 02:50 PM
Refluff Swooping Dragon Strike to use Tumble instead of Jump?