PDA

View Full Version : Familiars and Item Familiars

Asteron
2013-05-15, 04:02 PM
I'm playing a wizard 5/ Incantatrix 1 about to hit 7th level and have the Item Familiar feat. My question is: am I able to have a familiar and an item familiar at the same time?

Nothing in the wording for the Item Familiar feat says that you can't have a regular familiar, so I would argue that it is possible. Am I missing anything?

Skysaber
2013-05-15, 04:13 PM
Go right ahead. Nothing in the rules against it. Knock yourself out.

Also of interest to note, they have an Extra Familiar feat printed in one of the dragons. So if a feat can grant you an extra familiar, why not a feat grant you an extra (item) familiar?

Renen
2013-05-15, 04:14 PM
Don't have the book, but it likely says something like "replaces your familiar". So if you get a familiar from another source, then you have 2 now.

Asteron
2013-05-15, 04:30 PM
Don't have the book, but it likely says something like "replaces your familiar". So if you get a familiar from another source, then you have 2 now.

It says nothing of the sort, hence the question. It can be found on the SRD, which I can't link to because I am at work and the SRD is blocked.

Eldonauran
2013-05-15, 05:40 PM
You can have an Item Familiar and a Familiar at the same time. If it was called a Bonded Item, rather than Item Familiar, I think there would be less confusion. This feat can be taken by non-spellcasters.

Gildedragon
2013-05-15, 06:09 PM
It should be noted bonded item is PF not 3.5

Eldonauran
2013-05-15, 06:31 PM
It should be noted bonded item is PF not 3.5

Yes, that is true but I didn't mention Pathfinder. I was merely commenting that the two features (one a feat, the other a class ability) shared similarities in name, for 3.5e. I meant no actual allusion towards Pathfinder.