PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Hit Point Stacking

EmperorSarda
2013-05-15, 06:40 PM
What are the conditions for temporary hit points to stack?

For example, if a wizard casts False Life to gain 20 temporary hit points and also Heart of Earth to gain additional hit points, do they stack, for say around 40 extra hp, or for only 20 hp? (Assuming 10th level caster)

Vaz
2013-05-15, 06:44 PM
Unless it states they do, Temporary Hit Points do not stack, IIRC.

KillianHawkeye
2013-05-15, 06:50 PM
I believe in 3.5 that THP will stack as long as they come from different sources.

Curmudgeon
2013-05-15, 07:04 PM
Temporary hit points will stack as long as they come from different sources.
Stacking

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). If the modifiers to a particular roll do not stack, only the best bonus and worst penalty applies. Temporary hit points are not a bonus to a check or roll. As such, the limit for them is not the basic stacking rule (above) but rather the magic effects stacking rules. So multiple boosts from Vampiric Touch will overlap, giving you temp HP = the highest damage you've dealt rather than the total of all damage dealt. But those temporary HP will stack with temporary HP from Aid (a different source) just fine.

The basic stacking rule does cover most modifiers in D&D; this is one of the exceptions. Even a boost to AC comes under the basic stacking limit, because AC is the opposing end of the attack roll in the game's core mechanic (d20 + modifier vs. a target number).

Sylthia
2013-05-15, 07:04 PM
It's a running joke in my campaign that all hit points are temporary.

I believe the rule of thumb for them, like all things, is that they don't stack unless they are listed as different bonus types.

Curmudgeon
2013-05-15, 07:14 PM
I believe the rule of thumb for them, like all things, is that they don't stack unless they are listed as different bonus types.
Obviously you didn't see my post, since our messages arrived at the same time. It's really a "like most things" rule. :smallsmile:

TuggyNE
2013-05-15, 08:54 PM

Besides what Curmudgeon said, THP are never given an explicit type to my knowledge.

EmperorSarda
2013-05-16, 01:44 AM
So since the temporary hp would come from different spells, it stacks? Awesome.