PDA

View Full Version : WTH , there is a skeleton in my backpack

CyberThread
2013-05-15, 06:51 PM
Question can you animate a skelton, pull all its limbs off, and then put it in your back pack, and then throw it out later like a pokemon and have it reassemble itself for combat?

A_S
2013-05-15, 07:05 PM
Definitely "ask your DM" territory, but I'd rule that removing bits of a skeleton is the same thing as doing damage to it, and by the time you've removed all four of its limbs, you've basically destroyed it.

Jack_Simth
2013-05-15, 07:08 PM
Question can you animate a skelton, pull all its limbs off, and then put it in your back pack, and then throw it out later like a pokemon and have it reassemble itself for combat?
However, if you do want to do the pokemon thing, there's a spell called Smokey Confinement in Spell Compendium that may interest you.

KillianHawkeye
2013-05-15, 07:23 PM
Skeletons don't normally possess the ability to reassemble themselves after being dismembered.

nedz
2013-05-15, 07:51 PM
Why not just have it walk behind you carrying your backpack ?

Or, if that would attract unwanted attention, fold it's limbs up before putting it in your bag ?

Steward
2013-05-15, 08:17 PM
The spell "Haunt Shift" from Libris Mortis converts a corporeal undead into an incorporeal spirit that possesses a small object or a location (you would choose an object, like your backpack or "Pokeball"). The spell allows the undead to return to corporeal form periodically too if I remember correctly.

And there's always simply instructing the undead to enter an extradimensional space like a portable hole and ordering it out when needed.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-05-15, 08:24 PM
Definitely "ask your DM" territory, but I'd rule that removing bits of a skeleton is the same thing as doing damage to it, and by the time you've removed all four of its limbs, you've basically destroyed it.It's that or an example of the slashing damage it has a resistance to.

"You didn't hurt me, you just cut off all my limbs."

Togath
2013-05-16, 01:31 AM
Summon Undead from the spell compendium might work as well for the sudden skeleton effect.

shadow_archmagi
2013-05-16, 01:34 AM
Wait, why are you pulling its limbs off? How does that reduce the total space used? It's already not confined by having ligaments, so it should fold up pretty well anyway. Just have it tuck its knees into its ribcage.

CyberThread
2013-05-16, 01:44 AM
Wait, why are you pulling its limbs off? How does that reduce the total space used?

My backpack has pockets , and side zippers

SciChronic
2013-05-16, 02:55 AM
why not just use a bag of holding and put 10 skeletons in there? they don't need to breath, so the 10min. air limit is irrelevant.

Vizzerdrix
2013-05-16, 03:58 AM
However, if you do want to do the pokemon thing, there's a spell called Smokey Confinement in Spell Compendium that may interest you.

I'm looking for it, but not seeing it. Page number?

(Slow Burn, Smell of Fear, Snake's Swiftness is what I see)

Eldaran
2013-05-16, 05:17 AM
It's from Complete Mage, which is not in SpC as it came out after.

Killer Angel
2013-05-16, 05:45 AM

No, but you can keep it intact, and put it in a handy haversack.

KillianHawkeye
2013-05-16, 06:37 AM
I think taking skeletons in your backpack is preferable to leaving them in your closet. :smallwink::smallamused:

Jack_Simth
2013-05-16, 07:28 AM
It's from Complete Mage, which is not in SpC as it came out after.
I'm always annoyed with myself when I misremember something. Ah well.

shadow_archmagi
2013-05-16, 10:41 AM
My backpack has pockets , and side zippers

Couldn't you just buy a larger backpack?

Debihuman
2013-05-16, 11:34 AM
Easy answer: No.
Better easy answer: if you rip the limbs of your skeleton, you'll likely destroy it in the process. If you throw something 50 feet and it falls, it takes falling damage. Again, you're likely to destroy your skeleton. Reanimating the skeleton afterwards simply requires you to cast animate dead on your pile of bones.

Alternatively, you could have a dog skeleton hidden in your backpack that you could let loose before combat starts. You then don't have to worry about taking it apart or throwing it. If you awaken it with the awaken undead spell from Libris Mortis, it would be even better!

Debby

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-16, 12:17 PM
Reminds me of my Warforged Wizard who carried an effigy giant constrictor in a bag of holding completed to his groin.

He would let his robot trouser snake out if you attempted to grapple him.

Yes, I just said that.

CyberThread
2013-05-16, 12:24 PM
Couldn't you just buy a larger backpack?

Not wide enough to hold my laptop most the time

Gerrtt
2013-05-16, 01:29 PM
Then you need a smaller laptop.

CyberThread
2013-05-16, 01:47 PM
Sir that was not even funny, a laptop is more important then a skeleton.

Maybe I should use a halfling.

Gerrtt
2013-05-16, 01:51 PM
I would argue that without a skeleton I woudn't be able to use my laptop.:smallbiggrin:

Besides, anything bigger than a 15 inch screen is just wasted space, and most backpacks I've seen can hold those. But I digress.

Stea1k
2013-05-16, 05:52 PM
I agree with SciChronic, why not just get a bag of holding? I had a necromancer who spawned bunches of skeletons and just stored them inside 3 or 4 bags. In addition, since skeletons have no organs you can put your backpacks inside of their chest cavities. Easy and convenient.

Urpriest
2013-05-16, 06:08 PM
I agree with SciChronic, why not just get a bag of holding? I had a necromancer who spawned bunches of skeletons and just stored them inside 3 or 4 bags. In addition, since skeletons have no organs you can put your backpacks inside of their chest cavities. Easy and convenient.

Given the Laptop, I'm guessing this is a D&D-in-the-modern-world scenario. Bags of holding may be nontrivial to acquire.

Devronq
2013-05-17, 01:48 AM
From the monster manual "Skeletons are the animated bones of the dead, mindless automatons that obey the orders of their evil masters."

Well if you were to take just the bones as it says just the bones then there isn't anything already present that would hold them together. A skeleton you'd see at a doctors office or class room is held together with screws not merely the bones touching. Maybe the magic that made the skeleton rise makes his bones stay together? Also maybe damaging the skeleton only means breaking the bones not simply moving them apart. I think ether argument is totally valid because not enough information is given.

Also hey urpriest you slightly changed your display pic :P

GilesTheCleric
2013-05-17, 05:32 AM
Summon Monster/Undead takes a full round to cast. Just re-fluff to say that's the time it takes for it to materialize from a ball (since in the anime it always takes a while for it to from from the energy, which in D&D would be magic energy). Perfect fit.

nedz
2013-05-17, 06:33 AM
This has given me an idea for an amusing Jack in the Box encounter.

Also: Nice avatar Ur-Priest.

CyberThread
2013-05-17, 03:04 PM
In monster manual 5, we have crawling skeleton hands