PDA

View Full Version : Rogue with feats

Ralasha
2013-05-15, 07:09 PM
So, if a fighter getting sneak attack in place of fighter feats is balanced, is a rogue getting fighter feats in place of sneak attack?

AmberVael
2013-05-15, 07:11 PM
*cough cough* (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue)

Feat rogue is okay, yeah. I find I like it more than a normal rogue, but then, I despise sneak attack.

sonofzeal
2013-05-15, 07:11 PM
You tell me (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue). :smallamused:

Ralasha
2013-05-15, 07:12 PM
Are you two following me?

So you can be a fogue! Without levels in fighter! Awesome! Or is it a Roter?

Phelix-Mu
2013-05-15, 07:14 PM
I think both are actual variants. Not an expert on the issue, but it would probably even be not overpowered to let a player choose which of the two (fighter bonus feat or sneak attack dice) at every odd or every even level.

Both rogue and fighter are so many tiers below the really unhinged classes that you can reliably give them a nice power boost and still end up with something not overpowered.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-05-15, 07:15 PM
I love Martial Rogue, I prefer it to normal rogue greatly.

Do note, you gain the feats as a Fighter does. That means you get them at levels 1, 2, 4, 6, etc... Not the levels you'd gain SA (1, 3, 5, etc...). May seem obvious, but I didn't realize that for a while, and a lot of other people seem to make the mistake, too.

Certainly makes level 4 an even better break point to multiclass out from, too.

Ralasha
2013-05-15, 07:16 PM
I usually give rogues feats every 3 levels (1, 4, 7...) and use PF fighters in my 3.5 PnP games. My players seem to appreciate it.

Only thing left is making rogue levels count s fighter. Rogue with complete fighter tree access.... would be nice.

Curmudgeon
2013-05-15, 07:27 PM
So, if a fighter getting sneak attack in place of fighter feats is balanced, is a rogue getting fighter feats in place of sneak attack?
No, actually it's a step down for the martial Rogue, because:

the general quality of Fighter Bonus Feats (FBFs) is poor; and
FBFs with a BAB requirement will be weaker (unavailable until later levels) for martial Rogues than for actual Fighters.

Sylthia
2013-05-15, 07:28 PM

So you can be a fogue! Without levels in fighter! Awesome! Or is it a Roter?

I'd say righter. It could give you a circumstance Bluff bonus for denying theft.

Shopkeeper: Hey, you stole my ten foot pole, Are you some kind of thief?
Roguish Fighter Class: No, my good fellow, I'm an aspiring Righter.

AmberVael
2013-05-15, 07:50 PM

1) I post and browse in this subforum a lot and have done so for a while.
2) You joined that game waaaay after I did.

In short, I'm not following you, you're following me. :smalltongue:

FBFs with a BAB requirement will be weaker (unavailable until later levels) for martial Rogues than for actual Fighters.

While the general quality of Fighter feats are bad, I feel like the feat Rogue has more potential than the basic rogue. Sneak attack is just such a limited and unchanging feature, while even among the fighter feats there are gems to be found.

...if nothing else, you can pick up martial study/stance a few times and then prestige class out.

Gavinfoxx
2013-05-15, 07:52 PM
I like Sneak Attack Thug Fighter better than normal Rogue at doing most of the Rogue stuff.

Sylthia
2013-05-15, 08:11 PM
I like Sneak Attack Thug Fighter better than normal Rogue at doing most of the Rogue stuff.

For combat, pretty much, though they don't have enough skill points to skill monkey.

Gavinfoxx
2013-05-15, 08:14 PM
Yea, hence not all the rogue stuff.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-05-15, 11:22 PM

Feat Rogue is as powerful as your options for sources are wide. If stuck w/ d20srd stuff only? Yeah, fighter feats is sucky.

All of 3E WotC stuff? You can find PLENTY of good fighter feats w/ little or no BAB required.

Then again, if you're limited to d20srd stuff only, SA rogue is going to suck against like 1/3 of the monster manual, too, to be fair.