PDA

View Full Version : Tunneling

EmperorSarda
2013-05-15, 07:10 PM
Where can I find the rules for tunneling? As in, how long it takes miners to get through solid rock with picks?

Also, I was looking through the spells and didn't find many good spells that would help with tunneling.

Some spells, like Local Tremor (Races of the Dragon), can surely help to loosen up soil and rock some, but Move Earth doesn't allow for tunneling. (Which is odd, cause if you have enough loose earth from Transmute Rock to Mud, it should be able to move it out of a tunnel.)

Stone Metamorphosis, Stone Shape, the Transmute Rock to Mud/Sand, Soften Earth and Stone all work to limited extents, but there is nothing permanent like passwall that allows for tunnels to be permanently dug.

Essentially, what I am thinking up is that there is a big bad in mountain dungeon, where the main entrance is in the cliffside. Many parties have gone to try and end the threat, but not have succeeded thus far. As the hideout is in a mountain, I want to get aide from locals to help mine tunnels from several miles out, and dig to under the mountain. This would involve planar ally for earth elemental scouts to use their abilities to pass through the earth and rock and inform the casters of what sort of rock types are up ahead, if they might accidentally stumble into a tunnel into the underdark, or any other surprises. It would involve conjuring fresh air in as well.

But hopefully, if all goes according to plan, the tunnels are created under the mountain, and then a huge cavern under the dungeons is created, with some fortifying structures until it is prepared. And then cast an earthquake or two to cause the whole thing to fall in. Which should be enough to end the threat of the lich for good. Or for a while, depending on where the phylactery is stored.

So are there any suggestions on how to better delve into the earth to start this whole operation. What creatures might be able to help, what items or spells I might be overlooking?

Emperor Tippy
2013-05-15, 07:29 PM
Disintegrate is a great tunneling spell. Especially if you shapechange into a Beholder or do something similar to get a Beholder to help you out because that gives you one Disintegrate per round at no cost in spell slots or the like.

Sphere of Ultimate Destruction is also great for tunneling.

But the real gem is Fabricate. It's level 5 which means an auto reset trap of Mages Lubrication can give you unlimited castings and it allows you to turn 90 cubic feet of earth into a nicely finished tunnel (complete with nice carvings on the wall and everything) per casting at the minimum level. It's slower than Disintegrate but it allows you to make a nice, finished, tunnel complete with supports, art work, etc.

RebelRogue
2013-05-15, 07:31 PM
Mages Lubrication
:smallbiggrin:

Emperor Tippy
2013-05-15, 07:35 PM
:smallbiggrin:

Bah, that spell lubricates the workings of the mages mind.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesLucubration.htm

I like my version better. ;)

EmperorSarda
2013-05-15, 07:39 PM
But the real gem is Fabricate.

Except working with minerals, i.e. rock and earth, limits the spell to 1 cubic foot per level instead of the usual 10 cubic feet per level.

Emperor Tippy
2013-05-15, 07:45 PM
Except working with minerals, i.e. rock and earth, limits the spell to 1 cubic foot per level instead of the usual 10 cubic feet per level.

Yes, it works slower that Disintegrate but it still goes faster than the non magical methods, can be done out of unlimited spell slots, and produces a better tunnel.

Oh yeah, the fastest method is Polymoprh Any Object at 100 cubic feet/ level. First take a form that doesn't breath and then just polymorph the stone into helium. By the time the polymorph wears off it is high up in the atmosphere and dispersed quite widely. The problem is that getting unlimited 8th level spell slots is a ton more difficult and getting PAO as an SU or SLA isn't easily possible.

You can also just PAO the offending earth into a small rock coin. It's permanent and you can just do dump it wherever later.