PDA

View Full Version : Wild Mage optimization concept; The Little Blaster that Could

Aldurin
2013-05-15, 10:06 PM
So when thinking about the Wild Mage class and caster levels I realized that it's possible with a single level of that and a feat to make a evocation-focused caster beast.

Here's an example to show:

A Elf Sorcerer 5/Wild Mage 1, with his feats being Magical Aptitude and Empower spell to qualify for the class, then he takes Practiced Spellcaster. Now Wild mage makes your effective caster level 3 less but adds 1d6 to it, meaning some of the time you gain a slight advantage. Practiced Spellcaster boosts your caster level by four, but can't push it over your Hit Die. This effectively negates the -3 penalty to caster level from entering Wild Mage.

Now most evocation spells benefit greatly from increased caster level as it gives extra damage die or such, and with this example the elf would have a caster level of 6+1d6, making his minimum 7 (which for evocation is always nice) or 12 (which at level six is a little bit nuts).

Now amplify this nightmare by having an Evocation Spellgifted Kobold take the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage, giving him an caster level buff and an ACTUAL caster level on top. The last level of bonus from Practiced Spellcaster takes away the downside of Spellgifted, and now his effective caster level with evocation spells is 8+1d6, which is pretty cray for damage. Take one more level and throw in Wings of Flurry to the spell list, being a dragonblooded gives that spell an extra +1 to caster level, so the damage output of that spell becomes (10+1d6)d6 untyped damage.

In an area.

That discriminates targets.

At level 7.

Is this actually a legit thing you can do or am I missing something that holds this back?

ddude987
2013-05-16, 12:10 AM
The only thing you are missing from what I can see is DM interpretation. I would rule it in your favor. However I have had a DM that ruled that it the feat negated the penalty but stopped applying if your 1d6 roll bumped your caster level to high. He was often known to perceive simple and somewhat interesting or silly things as "so broken" so maybe I'm wrong and there is no RAW dispute here.

Other than that, go for it! Its a concept I've seen before and it can be pretty powerful at low-mid levels.

Vaz
2013-05-16, 12:21 AM
For more Shenaninanangans, be a Dragonwrought White Dragonspawn Kobold Loredrake, especially if you can do LA buy off.

You're around (13+1d6)d6 there. Not only that but you've got Flight, are faster, AND Tougher (+7 NA, +2 Dex, +2 Con) etc.

Der_DWSage
2013-05-16, 12:34 AM
Another wonderful item for any mage is Presto's Hat from the D&D Animated Series. Sadly, I can't seem to find the exact stats on them...but surely someone else on the Playground can pop up with the stats.

I do remember, quite distinctly, that it had a chance of acting as rod of wonder, letting you cast your spell, or working as if it were Empowered, however. Always a fun thing for Wild Mages to synergize with.

TuggyNE
2013-05-16, 12:45 AM
The only thing you are missing from what I can see is DM interpretation. I would rule it in your favor. However I have had a DM that ruled that it the feat negated the penalty but stopped applying if your 1d6 roll bumped your caster level to high. He was often known to perceive simple and somewhat interesting or silly things as "so broken" so maybe I'm wrong and there is no RAW dispute here.

Because bonuses can be applied in the order most favorable*, there's no conflict here.

*I don't recall exactly where that's stated, so if someone could look that up it'd be great.

avr
2013-05-16, 12:46 AM
Another reading of the Wild mage / Practiced Spellcaster interaction is, IIRC, that the 1d6-3 change to caster level is not divisible. If so, practiced spellcaster can raise the caster level change to zero (if you roll a 1 or 2) but does not give a bonus if you roll a 3 or higher, assuming that your caster level is otherwise equal to your HD.

TuggyNE
2013-05-16, 01:21 AM
Another reading of the Wild mage / Practiced Spellcaster interaction is, IIRC, that the 1d6-3 change to caster level is not divisible. If so, practiced spellcaster can raise the caster level change to zero (if you roll a 1 or 2) but does not give a bonus if you roll a 3 or higher, assuming that your caster level is otherwise equal to your HD.

That's probably the most sensible interpretation; it makes the feat valuable, but not such a massive boost.

ahenobarbi
2013-05-16, 11:11 AM
Nice trick.

+1d6 caster levels for 2 feats (well 3 but one is useful) and a class level doesn't seem overpowered.

Bakkan
2013-05-16, 11:51 AM

That seems a less likely interpretation of the text to me. The Wild Magic class feature describes two effects, one decreasing the caster level of all your spells by 3, and one graning you +1d6 caster level everytime you cast a spell. One is a static effect taht is always active and one only applies at the time youcast a spell. For instance, if you're a Sorcerer 6/Wild Mage 1, you don't qualify for the feat Black Lore of Moil, since it requires a caster level of 7 and you only have a caster level of 4 (most of the time).

I think the Practised Spellcaster trick to make a Wild Mage cast at normal caster level +1d6 works per the rules.

thethird
2013-05-16, 11:59 AM
Another wonderful item for any mage is Presto's Hat from the D&D Animated Series. Sadly, I can't seem to find the exact stats on them...but surely someone else on the Playground can pop up with the stats.

I do remember, quite distinctly, that it had a chance of acting as rod of wonder, letting you cast your spell, or working as if it were Empowered, however. Always a fun thing for Wild Mages to synergize with.

The best trick of the hat of many spells (the item in question) is that it has any spell component costing less than 1000 gp, giving you access to almost all optional spell components, that improve your spells nicely. One day I have to write a handbook on them.