PDA

View Full Version : shockwave frustration..it's over 5000!

dehro
2013-05-16, 03:00 AM
Hi all.. I'm encountering 'puter issues and this place has helped me out in the past when I've had trouble...so, here goes.

the issues are on my secondary computer, a HP netbook that isn't terribly powerful but has always covered my needs (running thunderbird, open office, google chrome and watching movies..all on a Windows 7 starter edition) pretty well.

a couple of days ago however, google chrome has decided it's not going to allow shockwave flash player to run anymore and tells me so on every video-displaying website I try to access.. be it youtube or other streaming channels.

this is especially vexing because I don't have a TV at home and the netbook/youtube/streaming tv-shows is kind of what I do at night before heading to bed.

I've found a number of websites that talk about conflicts between some sort of shockwave driver internal to chrome and the adobe shockwave downloaded software. it carries instructions that broadly apply to the situation and tells me to disable one or the other. (I say broadly because the websites are at best a couple of years old and I presume the wording or naming of the files is not current anymore but it seems to broadly describe the situation as is when you look at chrome:plugins).
neither solution works, in that if I disable one, the "cannot run shockwave" message still appears.. if I disable the other, youtube tells me I should install adobe flash player.

I have also tried to uninstall adobe flash player and reinstall it. to no avail.

the last thing that I can think of is to re-install chrome altogether and keep my fingers crossed that it will solve the issue. this should not pose too much of a problem, on account of chrome being on my main PC as well, meaning it would update itself (favourites and apps or plug-ins) once re-installed and once I logged in with my google account.
But..does it have to come to that? and more importantly, will it solve the problem or am I just risking to extend the problem to my main PC once I update one with the other's settings?

it's frustrating not to know enough..
(seriously, guys.. no GI Joe jokes, please :smalltongue:)

KillianHawkeye
2013-05-16, 06:52 AM
This is totally just a guess, but would rolling back to an older version of FlashPlayer plugin maybe solve this problem?

P.S. Nobody really calls it Shockwave anymore, especially since Adobe bought it a couple of years ago. :smallredface:

dehro
2013-05-16, 08:57 AM
P.S. Nobody really calls it Shockwave anymore, especially since Adobe bought it a couple of years ago. :smallredface:

I know.. I was calling it that because that's how they still called it on those websites I mentioned I found.
anyhoo, yesterday I tried what you suggested...without result... swore a lot and was debating with myself whether to throw the netbook against the wall or through the window in the garden..
then I swore some more and decided to uninstall google chrome instead and re-install it. which seems to have solved the issue... so far.
oddly enough, nothing of the sort seems to have happened to my main computer, despite me trying to mostly keep them in parallel/updated with one another.