PDA

View Full Version : I need an adult

Azif13
2013-05-16, 07:35 AM
New PF campaign (again) and deciding my character. I've made a Master summoner, but the DM told me to do another 'cause he's not familiarized with the class (he's new to DM'ing and PF). Soooooo I thought about a Bad touch cleric and I have a doubt. My rolls are 16, 16, 12, 12, 11, 8 and I'll go:

Str ?
Dex ?
Con 12
Int 11
Wis 16 (+2 racial, I'm human)
Cha 8

It's a CN Lamashtu cleric with the protean (chaos) and madness domains. I have 2 options:

- 16 Str 12 Dex and get improved unarmed strike, (domain strike)x2 (We start level 3)

- 12 Str 16 Dex with dodge, mobility and spring attack.

I like and don't like both of the options, what do you think?

Arc_knight25
2013-05-16, 07:59 AM
I would say go the Str Route. You have access to heavy armour so may as well use it.

stack
2013-05-16, 08:00 AM
PF cleric only gets medium armor.

I'd still go strength.

Seffbasilisk
2013-05-16, 08:11 AM
The Strength route seems more powerful for delivering the spells, but the springer better tactically, as no one wants to eat a face of full-attack. I guess it depends on which way you'd prefer to play it. More Strength means more carrying capacity, armor, gear, treasure and the like though. It's hard to limit, and at level 3, you're going to be a ways away from commonplace bags of holding and the like.

Azif13
2013-05-16, 08:20 AM
So it seems Str is winning. Thanks for the answers.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-16, 08:26 AM
Mind you, if you just are going for carry capacity, mule back chords are cheap and heavy load belts interact with them to allow very heavy loads.

+8 to strength for carry capacity, then triple the listed amounts.

I have a strength 7 vitalist who runs around in full plate with a tower shield. (I never make attack rolls anyway :smalltongue: )

Azif13
2013-05-16, 08:30 AM
The thing is I'll be doing attack rolls. It's true that they'll be touch attack rolls, but still...

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-16, 08:34 AM
My point was that I lacked proficiency and just ate the armor check penalty to attack rolls.

Getting mule back chords will give you enough carry capacity to haul around everything you need with a strength of 12. Add a heavy load belt to that and you can carry a frankly silly amount of weight. (400lb light load)

If you keep to medium armor and a shield you are prof in, you don't take a penalty to attack rolls.

JusticeZero
2013-05-16, 08:36 AM
Weapon finesse? It's a freaking TOUCH ATTACK. I'm surprised strength is even applicable here. And after awhile they will end up pretty trivial.

Azif13
2013-05-16, 08:48 AM
So you would pick wf and spring attack? I like the idea but I'm alredy feat starved. I'll consider it. Scribe scroll and improved initiative are also feats I'd want to have at lower levels, a high dex also benefits my initiative, which is a point there too.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-16, 08:53 AM
I take a dex focus for the better Init and defense. Then buff your strength later as YOU ARE A CLERIC!

Seriously, no need to pump strength, and dex is very nice.

Azif13
2013-05-16, 08:59 AM
Hum. My real problem here is: if a pick dex then I'll have good defenses and I'll be able to remain in melee, so I won't be using SA, but if I want to hit something then I'll need the strenght (now I can see where WF gets, but a falchion, which is my godess favored weapon, does not benefit from the feat). If I have greater Str I'll be worried about me being hit and I won't have acces to SA, you're right I can boos my Str, but also my Dex. Yes, I'm really indesicive.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-16, 09:14 AM
The thing is, you want dex all the time. It goes into initiative and avoiding attacks. This is important even if you stay back, archery is a thing in PF.

You want strength when you decide to go on the offense. You choose when.

You will get mass bulls strength, and other nice buffs that you want to be throwing out anyway.

Azif13
2013-05-16, 09:25 AM
OK, so what do you think about this?

Str 12
Dex 16

feats: Improved init., scribe scroll, dodge (maybe WF, but I'm not very convinced about it).

EDIT: If we ever get to high levels I can take "Guided hand" and a conductive falchion.

JusticeZero
2013-05-16, 09:29 AM
Plus, if you have psionics in your game, get an Agile weapon and you can use dex for damage. There's nothing forcing you to use a falchion; it's a good weapon, but it's not an *amazing* weapon.
Edit: I looked at the PF Wiki for lamashtu. Favored weapon is "Falchion(kukri)". Kukri is finessable.

Azif13
2013-05-16, 09:33 AM
No psionics in this game, but I like the kukri thing :D
The favored weapon is for flavor and character story.

Darth_Versity
2013-05-16, 10:34 AM
I need an adult

I am an adult
http://nick.mtvnimages.com/nicktoons-assets/video/images/dragon-ball-z-kai/touch-and-go-situation-gohan-protect-four-star-ball-clip-2.jpg?format=jpeg&matteColor=white

Sorry, couldn't resist. I have nothing constructive to add beyond that. :smallbiggrin:

Grollub
2013-05-16, 10:52 AM
New PF campaign (again) and deciding my character. I've made a Master summoner, but the DM told me to do another 'cause he's not familiarized with the class (he's new to DM'ing and PF). Soooooo I thought about a Bad touch cleric and I have a doubt. My rolls are 16, 16, 12, 12, 11, 8 and I'll go:

Str ?
Dex ?
Con 12
Int 11
Wis 16 (+2 racial, I'm human)
Cha 8

It's a CN Lamashtu cleric with the protean (chaos) and madness domains. I have 2 options:

- 16 Str 12 Dex and get improved unarmed strike, (domain strike)x2 (We start level 3)

- 12 Str 16 Dex with dodge, mobility and spring attack.

I like and don't like both of the options, what do you think?

First off... If you are set on a Master Summoner, I would sit down with the GM over an afternoon, and go over the class. It REALLY helps as well if you have down your homework, and have notes for everything you intend to use, including your "common summons" list of monster stats. If he still doesn't get it.. or being stubborn bout it, cleric it is !!

Personally, i think, out of the 2 options you presented, I would go with the dodge line..