PDA

View Full Version : Books and more books

Azif13
2013-05-16, 07:39 AM
Since I discover this forums I learn what is minmaxing and optimizing a character and that there is a lot of options out there. My question is, what are the basic handbooks I have to consult in order to know the main options for a vast number of classes? I just want something to start, no more than 8 or 9 books possibly, so I can be familiarized with the most common PrC, feats and general stuff. Thanks.

Socratov
2013-05-16, 07:55 AM
Well, for DnD books I'd advice PHB (1) + Completes (7, no complete psionic, just forget about that one). that's 8 books, then what's nice woudl be Unearthed Arcana, Magic of Incarnum, PHBII and Tome of Battle. That should give you the most min maxing options for PC's (DMG, DMGII, MM, MMIII, BoeD & BoVD are what follow)

For the rest, googling on handbooks on WotC coards, minmax borads, here shoudl help a lot and making use of the SRD and DnD Tools should give you what you need for the rest.

Hope this helps.

PS: If you really want to see cheese you need Legacy champion. That one should give you what you need.

Matticussama
2013-05-16, 08:13 AM
On top of Socratov's great suggestions, don't forget Magic Item Compendium and Spell Compendium. No matter how well you build your character an optimized non-spellcasting character without good gear is still pretty subpar, and a spellcaster without a wide range of spells isn't as strong as they could be. Plus, scrolls/wands/etc of spells from Spell Compendium can add a lot to any UMD-focused character. So the two compendiums add a lot of versatility to any build.

Azif13
2013-05-16, 08:17 AM
Thanks a lot! I got'em all written down :smallbiggrin:

Vaz
2013-05-16, 08:43 AM
When entering in the IC, 9/10, all of my sources are from the PHB, PHB2, DMG, MM, Completes (I have yet to enter a Psionic Character, so no Complete Psionic, but the Ardent is my favourite base class in the game), Magic Item and Spell Compendium.

On top of that, I find landscape books a good help for new options (not necessarily for sheer power, but for "oh, cool,"); Cityscape, Sandstorm, Dungeonscape, Frostburn and Stormwrack.

In addition, there are the "Races of..." series, but i've got more use as a DM; Races of the Dragon, Stone, Destiny, Wild, etc.

And because Dragons and Demons and Devils are awesome; the various Fiendish Books and Dragons; Dragon Magic, Draconomicon etc.

Tome of Battle and Magic gives some new options. I really want to use something Shadow Magic for a change.

Other books I dip into, but haven't used a lot of is Magic of Incarnum, Expanded Psionics Handbook, Libris Mortis, Lords of Madness, and the Planar books.

Socratov
2013-05-16, 08:50 AM
don't forget, some classes can thrive excessively when using particular books: for example Fiendish Codex II for Warlocks, Eberron Campaign Setting for Bards, etc. However, those references you will see in a handbook for the specific class on the forums...

Azif13
2013-05-16, 09:50 AM
Thank you all!