PDA

View Full Version : Rules for Throwing Creatures

Kalbereth
2006-11-27, 10:33 PM
Now, in most games and movies, you'll run into really big monsters that like to literally hurl characters across the room. Unfortunately, D&D lacks rules for that. Would someone mind checking my ideas here?

First, there's obviously going to need to be a grapple initiated. I figure, you just make a Strength check based on the opponent's weight, with an appropriate size bonus of some sort. I figure, a set check for a given weight, and then every 5 you beat the DC by, you get another 10 feet of distance. I'd say that up to 300 lbs would probably be a DC 15, with another 5 added to the DC per 100 lbs.

So, here's an example. A Huge creature has a Medium one in a grapple, the opponent weighing 350 lbs. Rather than the options in the PHB, he chooses to throw his opponent. He makes a Strength check (DC 20) and gets a 21. The opponent is thrown 10 feet. Had he gotten a 25-30, it would have been 20 feet, and so on.

As far as the bonuses, I figure a +4 for every size category larger than Medium, and a +4 for every size the opponent is smaller than Medium. All of that make sense?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-11-28, 12:21 AM
http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Fling_Enemy,all

Kalbereth
2006-11-28, 08:29 AM
That's all well and good, bu what if you're a forty-foot tall magma elemental and don't truly feel the need for a feat just to fling puny humanoids around?

Cult_of_the_Raven
2006-11-28, 08:55 AM
then just throw them! don't mess with rules that would hamper his ability.

Ping_T._Squirrel
2006-11-28, 09:25 AM
The way I handled it recently in my campaign is that the monster has to be able to do a few things. First, grapple successfully. Second, Have strength suffiecent to lift twice the weight of the PC. Third, treat the pc as a improvised weapon with a range increment of 10 feet. Fourth, deal damage for falling equal to distance thrown both to his/herself and the target. I figgure a max range that is 2x number of size catagories works out nicely. And using those rules, our halfling rouge makes a wonderful weapon against the other PCs

vanyell
2006-11-28, 11:52 AM
fighter-doken?

NullAshton
2006-11-28, 04:04 PM
The way I handled it recently in my campaign is that the monster has to be able to do a few things. First, grapple successfully. Second, Have strength suffiecent to lift twice the weight of the PC. Third, treat the pc as a improvised weapon with a range increment of 10 feet. Fourth, deal damage for falling equal to distance thrown both to his/herself and the target. I figgure a max range that is 2x number of size catagories works out nicely. And using those rules, our halfling rouge makes a wonderful weapon against the other PCs

Not like a ROUGE would be useful for much anything else...

Khantalas
2006-11-28, 04:07 PM
fighter-doken?

I prefer Boat-doken. Or Me-doken.

Inflicts more damage. To the target or the object, that is discussable.

BTW, halflings wear make-up? And a fighter carries some around?

belboz
2006-11-28, 04:16 PM
Fourth, deal damage for falling equal to distance thrown both to his/herself and the target.

OK, I don't want to raise a real-physics objection to something in D&D. But I will note that real physics is, at least, somewhat *compatible* with the (more reasonable from a balance perspective, anyway, IMO) idea of the falling damage being *split* in some way between the thrown character and the target. Running into a standing person of equal weight at 50 miles an hour is not like hitting a brick wall at 50 miles an hour; it's like you each hit a brick wall at 25 miles an hour.

OK, this is just silly, but I can't resist. Each row is a size of creature that takes damage from being thrown at/hit by a thrown creature. Each column is the size of creature they strike/are struck by. The cells are what fraction of falling damage they take.

{table=head]Victim | F | D | T | S | M | L | H | G | C
F | 1/2 | 2/3 | 4/5 | full | full | full | full | full | full
D | 1/3 | 1/2 | 2/3 | 4/5 | full | full | full | full | full
T | 1/5 | 1/3 | 1/2 | 2/3 | 4/5 | full | full | full | full
S | 0 | 1/5 | 1/3 | 1/2 | 2/3 | 4/5 | full | full | full
M | 0 | 0 | 1/5 | 1/3 | 1/2 | 2/3 | 4/5 | full | full
L | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1/5 | 1/3 | 1/2 | 2/3 | 4/5 | full
H | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1/5 | 1/3 | 1/2 | 2/3 | 4/5
G | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1/5 | 1/3 | 1/2 | 2/3
C | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 1/5 | 1/3 | 1/2
[/table]

Kalbereth
2006-11-28, 04:53 PM
Keep in mind that I'm not looking for damage so much as distance. I want to be able to get the opponent to a given location by violent means if necessary. Plus, watching a magma elemental throwing people around is funny.