PDA

View Full Version : Giant Vermin Question

CaladanMoonblad
2013-05-16, 01:16 PM
So, I'm looking through the Monster Manual I over at the giant sized Vermin, and I must be missing something.

I notice that some Vermin have a full attack (like Giant Mantis) and others do not (like Monstrous Spiders).

When looking under the Vermin template, I see nothing about why there are not multiple attacks with a 3/4 HD BAB (like a cleric) setup.

Can someone direct me to the reasoning, perhaps with an in text citation? What is going on that I am missing?

Urpriest
2013-05-16, 01:25 PM
So, I'm looking through the Monster Manual I over at the giant sized Vermin, and I must be missing something.

I notice that some Vermin have a full attack (like Giant Mantis) and others do not (like Monstrous Spiders).

When looking under the Vermin template, I see nothing about why there are not multiple attacks with a 3/4 HD BAB (like a cleric) setup.

Can someone direct me to the reasoning, perhaps with an in text citation? What is going on that I am missing?

...are any of the vermin wielding manufactured weapons?

Remember, natural weapons (with the exception of unarmed strikes) don't get iterative attacks. This is something you knew from the first time you used a monster with natural weapons, so I'm not sure why you're so confused about it now.

Natural Weapons

Natural weapons are weapons that are physically a part of a creature. A creature making a melee attack with a natural weapon is considered armed and does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Likewise, it threatens any space it can reach. Creatures do not receive additional attacks from a high base attack bonus when using natural weapons. The number of attacks a creature can make with its natural weapons depends on the type of the attack—generally, a creature can make one bite attack, one attack per claw or tentacle, one gore attack, one sting attack, or one slam attack (although Large creatures with arms or arm-like limbs can make a slam attack with each arm). Refer to the individual monster descriptions.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-05-16, 01:40 PM
Thank you Urpriest for answering the question with an in text citation. The answer was at the back of my mind, wriggling around, but a Google search didn't shake it loose, so I posted.

I generally don't use animals or vermin for most of my challenges as a GM. Never ran a zoo scenario, and most animals in my stories act like real animals (ie, easily scared off). I was thinking about using a colossal monstrous spider for a session, and was thinking about the difficulty for my heroes, when I noticed just a single attack... etc. etc.

Urpriest
2013-05-16, 02:17 PM
Yeah, sorry if I came off as snappish. I'm in a bit of a bad mood recently for non-forum reasons.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-05-16, 02:56 PM
Yeah, sorry if I came off as snappish. I'm in a bit of a bad mood recently for non-forum reasons.

Not a problem!

I hope your day gets better. I usually retreat to story crafting when real life gets me down.