PDA

View Full Version : 2e AD&D items

CIDE
2013-05-16, 02:32 PM
Alright, I've seen a bit of the magic item crafting and all that jazz but I was wondering if there was any similar psionic ("universal") item crafting in 2e akin to how 3.X had it?

With the way the 2e's DM works is that he has a huge and extensive world with decades worth of growth. Enough that if certain players in certain campaigns don't show up we can jump into another campaign elsewhere that only certain players are involved with. That said in one such campaign I was looking at a psionicist.

Pretty much any 2e book is allowed given this is a custom world and even the Dragon Magazine of that era.

Just felt wrong with a psionicist using magic items found along the way is all.

Lord Torath
2013-05-16, 05:37 PM
If you get the Empower Metapsionic Science at 11th Level, you can start making psionic items. The rules are fairly straightforward (which makes it quite a switch from the Magic Item Creation 'guidelines').

But there's nothing preventing you from using magic items as well. Nor should you be ashamed to do so. All classes use magic items. And in AD&D (1st or 2nd) nearly all of them are "found along the way."

CIDE
2013-05-16, 06:11 PM
Yeah, that is pretty straight forward. Thanks for that. I never caught that before.

Lord Torath
2013-05-17, 07:18 AM
Don't forget to use The Will and the Way and Dragon Kings. They add all sorts of new, useful psychic powers, and The Will and the Way adds new rules for leveling and improving powers and power scores through extended meditation.

CIDE
2013-05-17, 09:44 AM
I've looked at the Will and the Way but never really in depth; just glanced at the kits in there. Which book is Dragon Kings? Campaign setting? I may not have that one.

Lord Torath
2013-05-17, 10:30 AM
Dragon Kings is from Dark Sun, just like The Will and the Way. Most of it will not be applicable, but the Pisonic powers are great, and the sensory effects of spellcasting (lighting, scents and sounds each time you cast a spell) are pretty cool.

The kits in TWatW are okay, but the real value is in the new psychic powers, the advancement templates, and the meditation rules.