PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Soulknife: Worth importing to 3.5?

Phelix-Mu
2013-05-16, 04:47 PM
Not particularly familiar with the PF version, but I've heard it mentioned here and there. Soulknife is one of my favorite psionic classes, and I was wondering if they improved/fixed anything in the PF version. In particular, any testimonials from people that may have played them would be great.

Thanks.

WhatBigTeeth
2013-05-16, 04:57 PM
It has full BA, flexible weapon enhancements, actually unique abilities, options for mini-pounce and manifesting... it's definitely been improved.

I haven't seen one in play, and I'm still not sure I like PF's take as much as the original roguelike power-channeling PrC, but Soulknife's definitely been buffed from 3.5.

Phelix-Mu
2013-05-16, 05:49 PM
It has full BA, flexible weapon enhancements, actually unique abilities, options for mini-pounce and manifesting... it's definitely been improved.

I haven't seen one in play, and I'm still not sure I like PF's take as much as the original roguelike power-channeling PrC, but Soulknife's definitely been buffed from 3.5.

Very nice. I'll have to look into it. Personally, I never found much at fault with the old Soulknife, either, but new coolness is hardly objectionable.

JusticeZero
2013-05-16, 05:55 PM
Just taken as a standard brick, it's OK, maybe a bit yawn. On paper, your powers just replace WBL gear.

On paper.

Here is the thing. The difference between T1 and T2 is the ability to retool as needed.

A fighter and a soulknife are in a campaign fighting demonic skeletons. These are obviously best fought with blunt, lawful weapons, and the fighter is geared to the tee with her Axiomatic Holy heavy mace. The soulknife is keeping up in part because the gold the Fighter spent on her mace, he spent on other items.

Then at the end of the night, the party goes through a gate only to discover that they are now fighting soft, squishy, bludgeon-resistant LN thingies.

The next morning, the soulknife is optimized for the adventure, while the fighter is frantically digging through her bags to see if she forgot to sell some sub-par weapon that isn't so ill-suited to the situation.

Also, the AT options are pretty nice. I was just working on a soulknife for someone. Cutthroat has SA at full BAB, and Armored can be used with it to give a magic chain shirt of armor, but weight zero, cost zero, dex penalty zero and this is actually the biggie at higher level - max dex bonus infinite.

They dont overshadow, but they are very flexible.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-05-16, 10:35 PM
It's not bad, obviously buffed from 3E, not that it's something that's hard to pull off. I prefer my fix (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?312218-Soulknife-s-Mind-Blade-as-Touch-Attack&p=5697365&viewfull=1#post5697365), since unlike the PF version, it actually fixes the whole "you can't full attack throw your blade until super high level" problem.