PDA

View Full Version : New God-Game: Reus

Cikomyr
2013-05-16, 04:58 PM
Hi there! In random trawling over the internet, I have discovered a game that recently came out named Reus.

Here is a fun playthrough of the tutorial on IGN (http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/05/13/what-is-reus)

Here is another presentation of the game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giDFdSjvMwo)

It looks pretty interesting, I have to say. I love how this God-game is not entirely based on "build your own civilization and go crush others" or anything of the like. It's about careful growing human civilizations and prevent them from devolving into harmful sins. You have to carefully nurture the best tribes and root out the bad ones.

Basically, it's gardening with human societies. Which is, in my opinion, an interesting new take on the "God Game" approach which was always all about "MOAR POWER". I don't remember god games were you were tasked with wiping out specific societies under your care to help the overall world. It was always about getting more followers, worshippers and powers.

I am considering purchasing the game, and I was wondering if anybody else had put their hands to it yet?

Brother Oni
2013-05-16, 06:53 PM
Definitely thinking about getting it - thanks for bringing it up (and at £6.29 on Steam at the moment, my wallet thanks you as well).

Even if it's bad, the trailer makes the game to look involved and fun enough to keep my children entertained for an afternoon, making the price even more of a bargain.

Grinner
2013-05-16, 07:03 PM
Sounds great. :smallsmile: Definitely want to play it.

Cikomyr
2013-05-17, 07:16 AM
Hi there!

I started playing it so far, and it's cute and fun. Not sure how far the replay value will turn out to be.. But the tutorial kind of hints to a deeper gameplay than what you are initially allowed to play with.

We'll see!! :smallbiggrin:

Grif
2013-05-17, 07:19 AM
Interesting. Might be tempted to try it one of these days.

Cikomyr
2013-05-17, 11:57 AM
I have to say, this game is growing on me. At first, at least, it's all about small 30-minute bites; trying to achieve objectives as you go.

But everytime you achieve objective, you get more abilities for the next game, in order to further boost your objectives. It's pretty neat. It's a sandbox that gives you objective for every game, with no penalty for screwing up except starting the next game. You nurture humans and try to manipulate their fate and development.

Grinner
2013-05-17, 04:08 PM
I have to say, this game is growing on me. At first, at least, it's all about small 30-minute bites; trying to achieve objectives as you go.

But everytime you achieve objective, you get more abilities for the next game, in order to further boost your objectives. It's pretty neat. It's a sandbox that gives you objective for every game, with no penalty for screwing up except starting the next game. You nurture humans and try to manipulate their fate and development.

Will you quit it! I can't afford to buy games right now! :smallfurious:

:smalltongue:

Tvtyrant
2013-05-18, 02:25 AM
I would be tempted to make all of the good societies disappear until everything implodes.

Brother Oni
2013-05-18, 03:47 AM
I'm finding starting from scratch every game to be increasingly irritating as it forces you to aim for only a particular set of objectives every time.

That said, I suppose it's not any different from playing an RTS and starting from the beginning of the tech tree on a new mission.

Being able to scroll through objectives while in game rather than just at the start would also be useful.

I do like the fairly relaxed time limits on trying to achieve projects - it lets you mess about with finding optimal resource placement although I find I'm spending an increasing amount of time thinking 'how the hell do I get that much X?'.
I suspect you probably have to retask the entire village for a particular project every time.

Cikomyr
2013-05-18, 04:07 AM
I'm finding starting from scratch every game to be increasingly irritating as it forces you to aim for only a particular set of objectives every time.

That said, I suppose it's not any different from playing an RTS and starting from the beginning of the tech tree on a new mission.

Being able to scroll through objectives while in game rather than just at the start would also be useful.

I do like the fairly relaxed time limits on trying to achieve projects - it lets you mess about with finding optimal resource placement although I find I'm spending an increasing amount of time thinking 'how the hell do I get that much X?'.
I suspect you probably have to retask the entire village for a particular project every time.

Worse. I had to TERRAFORM a village for a specific project once. They got "Master Geologist", which requires 3x mountain patch in their border..

Note that it was a swamp village, and I didn't wanted to destroy any more of their stuff coming west, so I decided to raise a small temporary moutain in the east..

:facepalm:

Yhea.. my nice lil' swamp village turned desert...

Brother Oni
2013-05-18, 12:14 PM
Worse. I had to TERRAFORM a village for a specific project once. They got "Master Geologist", which requires 3x mountain patch in their border..

I lucked out on that one and a desert village had it.

The ungrateful little bastards then started warring on the next village and attacking my giants.

While destroying a village isn't as cathartic or as fun as it is in Doshin the Giant, mudball, stone punch then drowning the remains is nearly as good.

Cikomyr
2013-05-18, 06:55 PM
It's nothing. I was trying to go for a 600 prosperity world as well as a civ having 3 war tokens + 200 prosperity.

My favored tribe, which I did everything to ramp up greediness, decided to go all-out warfare in the last 5 minutes. Wiped 2 other tribes, reducing the total prosperity to 550 but DO NOT DECLARE A FINAL WAR TO GET THEIR 3RD TOKEN :smallfurious:

Entire game was a waste!!

Brother Oni
2013-05-19, 05:37 AM
It's nothing. I was trying to go for a 600 prosperity world as well as a civ having 3 war tokens + 200 prosperity.

My favored tribe, which I did everything to ramp up greediness, decided to go all-out warfare in the last 5 minutes. Wiped 2 other tribes, reducing the total prosperity to 550 but DO NOT DECLARE A FINAL WAR TO GET THEIR 3RD TOKEN :smallfurious:

Entire game was a waste!!

Yeah, the wasted games are starting to on my nerves as well (hint - when a tribe starts to get aggressive, keep your giants away as the game ends prematurely when a giant dies).

Still trying to work out the point of going up levels though - about the only thing it does is increase the time you can play, which indirectly increases how developed you can make a tribe, but still doesn't give you any unlocks for your giants.

Tebryn
2013-05-19, 01:33 PM
I got it and tried it out. Fun little diversion game while I'm compiling videos or the internet is down. The Objectives are a little annoying at times but other than that, overall really enjoyed my time.