PDA

View Full Version : AoO and zombies

AsheItachi
2013-05-16, 06:46 PM
I could have swore i read somewhere zombies dont get AoO.

Am i wrong , i have looked but found nothing so im under the impression i am i am just trying to be sure.

Eldonauran
2013-05-16, 06:54 PM
I've never seen anything like that.

Setra
2013-05-16, 06:56 PM
Sorry to hijack but a similar question, is there a rule or something that says an undead wouldn't 5ft step?

Once my players got mad at me for making a mummy 5ft step because, since he is undead, he wouldn't have the intelligence to try to avoid attacks of opportunity.

Edit:
On topic, found this:
Single Actions Only (Ex): Zombies have poor reflexes and can perform only a single move action or attack action each round. A zombie can move up to its speed and attack in the same round, but only if it attempts a charge.

I'd personally interpret that to mean they can only AoO if they've done nothing else in the round.

Eldonauran
2013-05-16, 07:03 PM
I'd personally interpret that to mean they can only AoO if they've done nothing else in the round.

AoO's typically don't count as actions. While I agree with you on your interpretation (I would rule this way as a DM), the rules don't back it up.

Keld Denar
2013-05-16, 07:04 PM
AoOs and 5' steps are non-actions. Zombie's natural limitations don't inhibit it from making either.

Setra
2013-05-16, 07:10 PM
AoO's typically don't count as actions. While I agree with you on your interpretation (I would rule this way as a DM), the rules don't back it up.
Oh, hey, I didn't know that.

TuggyNE
2013-05-16, 07:49 PM
Sorry to hijack but a similar question, is there a rule or something that says an undead wouldn't 5ft step?

Once my players got mad at me for making a mummy 5ft step because, since he is undead, he wouldn't have the intelligence to try to avoid attacks of opportunity.

That's stupid. Mummies have Int 6: they're as intelligent as a slightly dumb orc, so it's by no means difficult for them to have some grasp of combat tactics.

A zombie, now, I can see being too clumsy to manage that except by accident. Maybe even a skeleton. But anything that's not mindless and is used to combat should be able to 5'-step.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-05-16, 08:09 PM
That's stupid. Mummies have Int 6: they're as intelligent as a slightly dumb orc, so it's by no means difficult for them to have some grasp of combat tactics.

A zombie, now, I can see being too clumsy to manage that except by accident. Maybe even a skeleton. But anything that's not mindless and is used to combat should be able to 5'-step.

Makes sense to me. Int 6 is also smarter than a Griffon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/griffon.htm) and is equal to a Formian Worker (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/formian.htm#worker).

Mummies are smart enough to lay ambushes and avoid the traps in their own tombs after all...

I've always run zombies with AoO in my game. It represents letting your guard down to make a dash and getting clotheslined, bitten, or otherwise maimed if the zombie somehow rolls high enough to hit an adventurer (who can hit AC 20 fairly early).

KillianHawkeye
2013-05-16, 08:32 PM
There is no reason not to give unintelligent creatures attacks of opportunity or 5-foot steps. These are not actions which require some kind of strategy or advanced planning skills. They are the basic building blocks of combat.

Similarly, the zombie's prohibition against full-round actions in no way impacts his ability to take free actions or non-actions.