PDA

View Full Version : The Angry Woodsmen

Ace Nex
2013-05-16, 11:58 PM
I've recently started in a new campaign, as I am one of the original guys and can't re-roll a character. That being said, this is what I got currently

Ranger 2 (Wild Elf)

Str: 18
Dex: 17
Con: 16
Int: 12
Wis: 13
Cha: 9

I have this theory (DM mentioned it, it may or may not be true, but I think it is) about myself being an epic level character at one point, but was mind-wiped and level drained to my now inept state. I am tortured by memories that may or may not be real about my time as a ruler of the northern kingdoms and about epic things I did. This however, also leaves me prone to anger and will at some points become really rather angry. That being said, I don't want leadership and all that stuff, it's not part of my character now (later I may be a warlord and will have to figure out a way around the low Charisma). I'm currently the tracker/scout of the party and am rather pressed for skill points (hence the high Int and low charisma). It's also for character reason, I'm actually rather well read and educated for an angry woodsman, but I'm not good with people (we have a cleric and two sorcerers for that).

Backstory aside, I want to go into barbarian (probably after level 4 when I get 1st level spells, including "Rhino's charge"), and eventually a barbarian prestige class. I have a feat I don't know what to do with which can be put towards one of those. The build I want isn't too feat intensive, as I get Power Attack free from my combat style (2h Ranger) and after that will just want Leap Attack at 6th and Eventually Cleave, Great Cleave, all that stuff.

BOOKS ALLOWED: Everything from Player's handbook is perfectly OK. Outside everything else (completes, serpent Kingdom, book of Vile Darkness, Drow of the Underdark, etc.) is also allowed BUT may be nerfed, as the DM doesn't know all of the extra stuff and if is seems to cheesy good to be true or could not work in real life it's a no. (Our Sorc isn't allowed to use fel-drain magic missiles at level 2, and he put a cap on 10 attacks MAX per round, so no lightning maces perfect TWF 30 attacks in a round).

I was thinking maybe Runescarred berserker, Stalker of Kharash, or something with TOB. I will be a base Ranger, but with barbarian or maybe something else thrown in.

Best quote defining my character, "Rage is my choice, not my sickness."

Averis Vol
2013-05-17, 12:48 AM
Since you're an elf, why not look at the wild runner PrC from Races of the Wild. it gives you a second pseudo rage and a handful of other benifits that may be useful to you.

Sactheminions
2013-05-17, 01:36 AM
Your DM is concerned about TWF but has no problem with Leap Attack? Interesting.

Seriously, though, because the only really good Barb PRC's are kind of one dimensional ( FB, War Hulk ) which you obviously don't want, it probably makes sense to consider just rangerX/Barb4/rangerX. Your damage is going to come from the charging feat tree, not class features. See if you can trade in Favored Enemy as a class feature; if you can con your DM into giving you anything at all for it, this may well be the way to go.

Averis Vol
2013-05-17, 01:53 AM
Your DM is concerned about TWF but has no problem with Leap Attack? Interesting.

Seriously, though, because the only really good Barb PRC's are kind of one dimensional ( FB, War Hulk ) which you obviously don't want, it probably makes sense to consider just rangerX/Barb4/rangerX. Your damage is going to come from the charging feat tree, not class features. See if you can trade in Favored Enemy as a class feature; if you can con your DM into giving you anything at all for it, this may well be the way to go.

Barring being able to trade it in, take favored enemy (Arcanist). This encompases anything that can cast arcane spells or spell like abilities, so it works for a significant amount of creatures and fits with the typical barbarian fear of magic.

ksbsnowowl
2013-05-17, 09:20 AM
Runescarred Berserker is pretty good, though I am biased, as I love Rashemen.

I would have suggested Scout -> Swift Hunter, but that isn't what you are going for, obviously.

With Runescarred Berserker, the best Berserker Lodge feats tend to be Wolf Lodge Berserker, Snow Tiger Berserker (would go together well with swift hunter, just FYI), and Ice Troll Berserker. Each is situational to what you are building your character toward. Ice Troll Berserker is likely the best "general" berserker lodge feat.

Now become a Runescarred Berserker, and enjoy polymorphing and healing yourself.

Since you are going Barbarian, get at least Barb 2, as Uncanny Dodge can be a lifesaver.

With a favored class of Sorcerer, be aware of multiclassing penalties, if your DM uses them.

Ranger 4/Barbarian 3/RSB 10 is a pretty good warrior.

1. Survivor
R2. Power Attack
3. Iron Will
6. Ice Troll Berserker
9. Leap Attack

Juntao112
2013-05-17, 10:57 AM
Trade TWF for Power Attack. Strongarm Ranger ACF.