PDA

View Full Version : [Template] Lesser Lich

Callos_DeTerran
2006-11-28, 12:51 AM
Sometimes referred to as 'lichlings' these truly sad beings are solely the creation of Vecna's minions. Used as a means to harden their less magically inclined cultists as well as to reward them with immortality for a reward. Unlike their more powerful counterparts many have not heard of the lesser lich, giving them a level of mystery not usually seen by such a deadly undead. Despite the advantages this state obviously holds it also has some terrible drawbacks. Since Vecna's followers keep the knowledge of how to create a lesser lich so well protected it stands to reason that one must either serve with them for a deal of time to gain their 'trust' (or whatever those paranoid freaks call that state of "I don't think you'll betray me immiedetely so I'll give you a job") or pay immense amounts of money to have them perform the dread rites and procedures on you...and end up indentured anyway...

Perhaps because there is less magical energy inside of their forms a lesser lich usually greatly resembles its original, mortal form, and is able to keep its fleshy appearance for a great many years before decay sets in. Only the eldest of these undead have been reduced to the same skeletal state as a full lich. Due to the ability to reform by their phylacteries when destroyed, one can only imagine how hard it would be to stamp out a Vecna cult cell comprimised of lesser liches and liches.

-Excerpt from "Obscure Undead" by Callos DeTerran

Creating a Lesser Lich
"Lesser lich" is an acquired template that can be added to any humaniod creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature), provided it can create the required phylactery (Or have it made for it).

A lesser lich has all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type
The creature’s type changes to undead. Do not recalculate base attack bonus, saves, or skill points. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice
Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d12s.

Armor Class
A lesser lich has a +3 natural armor bonus or the base creature's natural armor bonus, whichever is better.

Special Attacks

Mark of Vecna(Su): Perhaps the only ability that lesser lich's gain that a regular does not, it is also gained only because of the circumstances under which a lesser lich is created. Due to the fact that a lesser lich is bound to the Church of Vecna by unknown bonds, they are granted the ability to mark others as enemies of the faith. Once per day a lesser lich may target a sentient non-Vecna worshipping creature with the Mark forcing them to make a Will save (DC equal to 10+1/2 the base creature's HD+Cha modifier). On a successful save nothing happens. On a failed save the holy symbol of Vecna appears on a visible part of the targets body and is only visible to the target and other Vecnaites. When a Vecna worshipper targets the marked creature with an attack (or single target spell that requires a ranged touch attack) they gain a +2 divine bonus to hit as long as they can see the symbol. Removing the Mark of Vecna is hard, requiring the permenate destruction of the lesser lich then covering the mark in holy water for 24 hours before it disappears.

Lesser liches usually use the mark as an act of spite, to humiliate an opponent and drive them insane with feelings of paranioa(sp) never knowing when a hidden Vecna cultist will make an attack against them.

Special Qualities
A lesser lich retains all the base creature’s special qualities and gains those described below.

Turn Resistance
A lesser lich has +4 turn resistance.

Dark Energy
Unlike a normal lich, a lesser lich's force of personality can make the hardy creature even harder to destroy. A lesser lich may use it's Charisma modifier in place of it's Constitution modifier to determine bonus hit points.

Damage Reduction
A lesser lich’s undead body is tough, giving the creature damage reduction 5/bludgeoning. Its natural weapons are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Immunities
Lesser liches have immunity to cold, electricity, polymorph (though they can use polymorph effects on themselves), and mind-affecting attacks in addition to their undead immunities.

Abilities
The base creature gains the following stat increases. +2 Strength, +4 Dexterity, and +2 to Charisma.
__________________________________________________ ___________

This is my creation and I realize it probably needs some fine tuning. Such as a fair LA and CR increase. Not to mention a good price for the phylactery in gold and EXP costs. All critique and help is welcome. Probably going to redo the flavor at some point though. Not to mention something that defines the Lesser Lich as something besides "Oh its a lich but without paralyzation...and a fear aura...and a stat increase...and negative energy damage with its hand, why is it called a lesser lich again?"

Lord Iames Osari
2006-11-28, 12:58 AM
You refer to "lich" several times in the text instead of "lesser lich".

Callos_DeTerran
2006-11-28, 01:00 AM
Thanks, I think I got them.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-11-28, 01:12 AM
Yeah, I think you did.

One thing I would suggest is maybe giving them some ability adjustments after all. Maybe a +2 to their primary casting stat. That will make it more lich-like, I think.

Callos_DeTerran
2006-11-28, 01:25 AM
Yeah, I think you did.

One thing I would suggest is maybe giving them some ability adjustments after all. Maybe a +2 to their primary casting stat. That will make it more lich-like, I think.

That's just it, the template isn't really meant for spellcasters. Dragon 348 has the information that I based this template around and its usually given to melee combatants, sneaky types, or skrimishers rather then mages and clerics.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-11-28, 01:27 AM
Oh, I see. Maybe just +2 Cha, then. To give them a nicer hp boost. And to counteract any minuses created by the use of Cha as a dump stat.

Fizban
2006-11-28, 02:40 AM
Seems okay, a weak LA+2. All you get is +3 NA, undead-ness, and change your hp stat. I'd toss in some minor Su abilities for flavor and to bring it up a bit. Or that +2 cha Iames suggested.

Callos_DeTerran
2006-11-28, 03:38 AM
I'm thinking that (su) abilities would be good to but what kind? This template isn't meant to overshadow the lich template or to go off in a completely diffrent direction from it. But without copying all of the lich's signature abilities then there isn't much to make new flavor off of besides making a lesser lich even harder to kill.

StickMan
2006-11-28, 07:19 AM
Give it +2 str, +4 dex, +2 cha. Fast healing 1 would not be a bad adition. It does not need to gain any of the classic lich abilities, they don't real fit the idea. If your a warrior type you don't need a hand that deals negitive engergy damage and fear aura would just be too strong for this.

Callos_DeTerran
2006-11-28, 01:55 PM
I put in the stat suggestions of Stickman and they seem to fit pretty well. Also but an experimental ability up there, the Mark of Vecna.

katarl
2006-11-28, 03:04 PM
Lesser liches are great, my dread necromancer will definitely 'reward' a couple of his PC friends, i think.

The mark thing seems better as a spell, rather than a unique ability, kinda something a cleric of vecna would use.

Looks LA +2 ish, maybe 25-40 grand gp, plus 1-2 grand xp cost for the phylactery.