PDA

View Full Version : A question about the mirror image spell

Devronq
2013-05-17, 04:15 AM
I just noticed this line in the mirror image spell.
Figments seem to react normally to area spells (such as looking like they’re burned or dead after being hit by a fireball).

So does this mean that area damage spells don't remove your images? I always saw mirror image in dnd as any damage removes an image but is it more like any damage that was targeting that imagine destroys it correct?

In baldurs gate (which is 2nd edition dnd) fireball would do nothing to mirror image but magic missle would remove one image per missile, and any attack that hit would remove a target.

Der_DWSage
2013-05-17, 04:21 AM
Correct. A pure AoE spell like Fireball won't dismiss the extra images created. However, Magic Missile-which targets one opponent per missile, but is not an AoE-will destroy any images struck.

Gwendol
2013-05-17, 04:22 AM
Yes, you need to target the image, not the area the images occupy, to be able to remove them. The image AC is quite low though.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-17, 07:45 AM
This is one of the better uses of quickened magic missile.

Gwendol
2013-05-17, 08:06 AM
Or great cleave :smallbiggrin:

Darrin
2013-05-17, 11:38 AM
If you don't have access to magic missile:

Elemental Dart (Dragonlance Campaign Setting, Sor/Wiz 2). Similar to ice darts, but you can choose the energy type. Ranged touch attack, up to five darts. Conjuration (Creation), so worth considering if you've banned evocation or want to grab it via shadow conjuration.

Ice Darts (Frostburn, Brd/Sor/Wiz 2). Ranged touch attack, up to five darts. Similar to elemental dart, but from a more commonly known sourcebook, and also available to bards.

Kaupaer's Quickblast (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ mb/20050112a) (WotC article, Sor/Wiz 1). Free/swift/immediate action to cast (depending on how you adapt it to 3.5), autohits like magic missile (Ref save for half) with either cold, electricity, or fire damage.

Lahm's Finger Darts (Book of Vile Darkness, Corrupt 2). Shoot up to five of your own fingers, at a cost of 1 Str damage per finger. Autohits, causes 1d4 Dex damage. Healing the Str damage restores the fingers. It's also a transmutation spell, so if you somehow managed to get both evocation and conjuration banned, this might be worth a try (although keep some restorative spells handy).

Lava Missile (Seprent Kingdoms, Clr/Dru 2). Magic missile for healbots and treehuggers. Autohits (Ref save for half), up to five missiles.

Seharvepernfan
2013-05-17, 11:48 AM
Lahm's Finger Darts (Book of Vile Darkness, Corrupt 2). Shoot up to five of your own fingers, at a cost of 1 Str damage per finger. Autohits, causes 1d4 Dex damage. Healing the Str damage restores the fingers. It's also a transmutation spell, so if you somehow managed to get both evocation and conjuration banned, this might be worth a try (although keep some restorative spells handy).

"Hey, I've got a great idea for a spell!"

Lahm never knew why the other mages avoided speaking to him.

Kudaku
2013-05-17, 11:55 AM
I figured I'd mention that Magic Missile or Cleave does not work on Mirror Image in Pathfinder.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-17, 12:09 PM
That finger dart spell seems like it could be a very nice dragonslayer if you had a rod of body restoration floating around.

Xervous
2013-05-17, 03:06 PM
About that spell

Let me give you a hand there

Bind Naberius for extra funsies.

Immabozo
2013-05-17, 05:06 PM
I would think "unerringly strikes your target" means mirror image has no effect on Magic Missile.

Xervous
2013-05-17, 05:08 PM
however you can target the images, the missiles only target based on your knowledge. You can't shoot invisible creatures you aren't aware of for example AFAIK.

Barsoom
2013-05-17, 05:10 PM
I would think "unerringly strikes your target" means mirror image has no effect on Magic Missile.

The mirror image is the target. If you aim it at the image, it'll strike the image.

Also, Cleave, or Great Cleave do not work, at least by RAW, since they rely on:

If you deal a creature enough damage to make it drop (typically by dropping it to below 0 hit points or killing it), A mirror image is not a creature. Nor are you dealing any damage to it.

Immabozo
2013-05-17, 05:25 PM
The mirror image is the target. If you aim it at the image, it'll strike the image.

ah, ok. I guess that makes sense