PDA

View Full Version : A Petrified Wizard

AlanBruce
2013-05-17, 05:48 AM
Greetings! I'm currently running an encounter where the party got blasted by a multi-spell trap.

The trap released three waves that blanketed the room: an area dispel, followed by a Flesh to Stone, followed by a weaker Energy Drain (1d4 vs. 2d4).

The cleric and warlock, both lvl 14, were at the entrance of the room and did not get affected.

The Beguiler and Magus (level 13 and 14, respectively) were in the room when the Beguiler attempted to dispel the trap and failed, triggering the aforementioned effect.

End result: Beguiler got Glibness dispelled and a negative level, passed the fortitude and is as nimble as always.

The magus, however, got one of his buffs removed and became a solid statue.

This triggered part two of the trap as two slighlty buffed leechwalkers came into the room and have gean attacking those unpetrified- mainly the remainder of the party.

A recurrent villain who has DD at will has appeared adjacent to the magus, who is a statue. However, the warlock blasted the beast with a glacial spear and managed to entangle it for a few rounds.

My question is simple: can the enemy, even if entangled, being adjacent to the magus use his turn to touch the object (statue) and DD away?

Thank you in advance.

Spuddles
2013-05-17, 06:09 AM
As long as the magus in stone form doesn't exceed the villain's max load.

AlanBruce
2013-05-17, 06:20 AM
I assumed all you had to do was place your hand on the object and the spell carried you both, not that you had to hoist the statue on your back.

The villain in question has a Str score of 28, with a max load of 2400 lbs.

Firest Kathon
2013-05-17, 07:15 AM
Dimension Door
You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load.

I have found this description of an actual statue (http://www.stonecarving7th.com/garden/statue_11.html) which weights in at approx. 1500 lb. This means your bad guy can touch the statue and disappear with it.

However, the description of Flesh to Stone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fleshToStone.htm) reads:

The creature is not dead... I interpret this as meaning that while the target creature appears to be a statue, it never ceases to be a creature and therefor is not an object. Just like a Construct is not an object, but a creature. So you cannot bring the Magus along, since:

You may also bring one additional willing Medium or smaller creature
On could, however, argue that as the Magus is currently mindless he is always considered willing, just like an unconscious creature.

ikosaeder
2013-05-17, 07:21 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionDoor.htm
It states clearly, that you have to apply maximum load values.
However a typical stone has around 3-5 times the weight of water (which is 90% of your body) so it is reasonable to assume that a petrified person has about 5 times the weight of the character. Stone is lighter than gold or steel, so for the gear add half of its weight.

AlanBruce
2013-05-17, 07:26 AM
Thank you for clarifying that. I was going under the assumption that the magus was now an object, but the unconscious and willing aspect work as well.

As of now, the beguiler, a half fey, is flying in to bag the magus. I stated that the monster, who has a tail with long reach and poison to boot could get an AoO.

Is it possible? Considering that DD does not allow you to perform actions, but was not clear about AoO.

ksbsnowowl
2013-05-17, 07:44 AM
Thank you for clarifying that. I was going under the assumption that the magus was now an object, but the unconscious and willing aspect work as well.

As of now, the beguiler, a half fey, is flying in to bag the magus. I stated that the monster, who has a tail with long reach and poison to boot could get an AoO.

Is it possible? Considering that DD does not allow you to perform actions, but was not clear about AoO.

Dimension Door just ends your turn. AoO's happen when it isn't your turn (typically). Your BBEG can use his AoO.

Well... looking at the wording... "After using this spell, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn."

Hmmm.... not sure.

Spuddles
2013-05-17, 09:02 AM
Dimension Door just ends your turn. AoO's happen when it isn't your turn (typically). Your BBEG can use his AoO.

Well... looking at the wording... "After using this spell, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn."

Hmmm.... not sure.

DD doesnt let you do much of anything the round following your casting of it.

Douglas
2013-05-17, 09:18 AM
Attacks of Opportunity are officially not classified as actions of any type, so Dimension Door does not prevent them.

AlanBruce
2013-05-17, 09:23 AM
That's the ruling I went with.

The beguiler got hit and failed her fortitude, napping soundly for 4 rounds.

Magus is a statue and the BBEG is about to DD out, maybe with the beguiler if weight allows.

Cleric is unbuffed and facing two leechwalkers in melee

Warlock is safely blasting from afar.

I guess this will turn into a rescue mission.