PDA

View Full Version : A single good feat for barbarian?

Balor01
2013-05-17, 08:15 AM
Hey playground,

I am making a simple lvl 1 bugbear barbarian and I was thinking of getting pounce. Do you guys think this is a good idea or you have some better suggestions?

thanks

Vaz
2013-05-17, 08:17 AM
Power Attack.

/thread.

Ask your DM if you can swap Alertness for something useful. Like Leap Attack.

Gwendol
2013-05-17, 08:21 AM
... or Cleave. Barbarians with power attack are good at dropping enemies.

Balor01
2013-05-17, 08:29 AM
Power Attack.

/thread.

Ask your DM if you can swap Alertness for something useful. Like Leap Attack.

Where exactly Barbarian gets Alertness?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/barbarian.htm

Spiryt
2013-05-17, 08:31 AM
Where exactly Barbarian gets Alertness?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/barbarian.htm

Bugbears get Alertness.

Though I believe it's only general SFD choice of feat, they just get any 2 feats of their choice due to their 3 humanoid HDs.

eggynack
2013-05-17, 08:35 AM
Pounce isn't really a feat. You just use spirit lion totem to get it in exchange for fast movement. Thus, you can easily take that, and still have your free feat slot. I'm probably just going to suggest what I suggest every time a barbarian optimization thing comes up. After using spirit lion totem to trade fast movement for pounce, you should probably use wolf totem to trade uncanny dodge, trap sense and improved uncanny dodge for improved trip (great) and track ( not so great). Then, you trade the rage ability for whirling frenzy, because whirling frenzy is wonderful. For feats, power attack is probably fine. Maybe combat reflexes if you want to go all in on tripping, but you probably don't.

cerin616
2013-05-17, 08:36 AM
If you want pounce, use the lion totem spirit alternate class feature and swap fast movement for pounce.

This still leaves you with a feat, which I would agree should probably be power attack, or cleave, or at worst imp. bullrush.

Tholomyes
2013-05-17, 08:41 AM
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but whenever I used to play 3.5 with LA races, their Race-levels count towards when feats are learned, so a bugbear barbarian would get two feats to start out with (from 3 levels in humanoid), and then wouldn't get the next feat until the third Barbarian level (or 6 overall levels), and then every three from there on out.

Granted, I may be wrong, since it's been a while since I played in a group that actually uses LA races.

Gwendol
2013-05-17, 08:50 AM
No, you got it right.