PDA

View Full Version : weapons for the Zombie Apocalypse

ButtSoup
2013-05-17, 09:12 AM
I'm going to be running a Zombie Survival one-shot adventure that takes place in one of those restaurant/ bars with a bunch of crap on the wall (ranging from canoe paddles to road signs and so on). I've been brainstorming with friends on the idea of what my fictional restaurant may have, but I would like to gather as many opinions/options as I can. So... What's the craziest thing you've seen on the wall of a restaurant and/or bar that you think would be an option (good or bad) for a zombie outbreak?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! Feel free to pitch ideas on what die damage a weapon would deal as well.

dascarletm
2013-05-17, 09:14 AM
This is D20 modern right? I assume as much.

I've seen old(ish) rifles. (Shawn of the Dead)

But really, what sort of theme is the restaurant, and who are the owners?

If the owners were apart of some sort of mob, I could see a shotgun or .45 under the counter somewhere.

Traab
2013-05-17, 09:17 AM
I have seen a moose rack, a canoe (and oars) a multi spiked wooden hat rack. License plates for cars, movie posters, some in glass frames, assorted reprints of various paintings, old tyme advertisements for dr schlessingers electric hat, promised to cure baldness, a solid metal kids trike, a schwinn, thats about all i can think of at the moment. Much of that would have some use.

Immabozo
2013-05-17, 09:26 AM
I'd think you are almost guaranteed to find a gun and ammunition behind the counter.

But I've seen TVs, wires (can make traps), baseball bats, 2 by 4's beer and other alcohol bottles, pictures (treat them like improvised shurukens?)

ButtSoup
2013-05-17, 09:27 AM
@dascar: kinda a home brew of d20 modern.

I'm thinking the place will be Midwest bar with a heritage theme that's sectioned off. One corner will have old time farm related stuff, another with hunting, one with local sports and so on.

Trasilor
2013-05-17, 09:29 AM
In Restaurants I have seen the following on walls that could be uses in a Zombie Survival:

Propeller blade from a plane, an oar from one of those crew rowing boats, animal antlers (I've seen chandeliers made out of them), wagon wheel, baseball bats, cricket bats, hockey sticks, hockey skates, street signs, old-time metal advertising signs, half of a car, swords (Japanese restaurant).

Of course most restaurants will have better weaponry in the kitchen/behind the bar in the form of knives, toolbox full of tools or guns (behind the bar / in the back office etc.).

dascarletm
2013-05-17, 09:44 AM

I'm thinking the place will be Midwest bar with a heritage theme that's sectioned off. One corner will have old time farm related stuff, another with hunting, one with local sports and so on.

Pitchforks, shovels....

Midwest theme could be fun. There may be a multitude of old west guns on the walls, but which are actually real? I doubt any are loaded too:smallamused:

only1doug
2013-05-17, 09:45 AM
as no one else has already suggested it: a swordfish

Callin
2013-05-17, 09:53 AM
unsuggested so far. I have seen Cricket Bats, Golf Clubs, Bowling Pins, Harpoon, and Arrows.

I have also seen Baseball Gear (Catchers mostly but some Batters Helms), a Bicycle, Football Pads, Hockey Masks, and assorted other sports gear.

Joe the Rat
2013-05-17, 10:11 AM

Farm implements are a good source - beat them plowshares back into swords!

You'll have at least one antique bow saw, pitchforks, a set of prongs off of a thresher, one of the old wheel-plow arrays, shovels, hoes, an out-of-place set of gardening tools. At least one yoke (probably for horse rather than ox - that's a lot of real estate to devote to wood). Good old hickory axe handles are popular. Horseshoes make it in at some point. Old rope is popular. Lots of rusty metal, much of it pointy. Then you throw in the random "farm = cowboy" crap mentioned above, plus spurs. If you're lucky, you'll get some railway paraphernalia and signage as well.

Hunting probably won't have all that many serviceable guns, and less likely to have ammunition. In reality, at least. You will also get a decent amount of fishing gear up there - hooked lures, spools of 20-30-40 lb test, nice, long whippy rods (doubly so for fly fishing), lead weights, boxes, nets... Bow hunting gear might be useful, if you can get something a bit more dangerous than pointy sticks.

If you're asking about the sports corner, you aren't trying hard enough. Baseball bat with an ice skating blade strapped/bolted/duck taped into place.

But first things first: clear the kitchen - any Midwestern heritage-themed restaurant worth its salt will have a fine array of tools for turning meat into smaller, portion-sized pieces of meat. Double points if you can get a deli slicer in there. Triple points if you figure out how to weaponize a meat grinder.

ButtSoup
2013-05-17, 10:16 AM
Don't worry about the kitchen... that's easy. Honestly not worried about sports stuff either. Looking for the not so obvious things such as the swordfish idea (thanks Doug).

Shining Wrath
2013-05-17, 10:32 AM
The Madison Bear Gardens in Chico has anything you care to name. It's a big place right off the University, popular with students, and there is so very much hanging from walls and ceilings ...

Anyway, sporting equipment is common. The kitchen will doubtless have the usual complement of knives. Decorative animal heads supplying fangs and antlers (and marbles from the eyes). Fireplace tools - a poker makes a decent head-opener. Potted plants. A jukebox full of CD's, useful for "Oooh, shiny!" distractions. Big screen TV's.

A tank full of piranhas?

Almagesto
2013-05-17, 10:37 AM
Have the whole thing happen inside a Medieval Times ! There's lots of room, an arena with rolling heavy curtains to protect them, horses, AND LOTS OF WEAPONS !! (backstage, of course)

Callin
2013-05-17, 10:44 AM
Dont forget that in kitchens with a Slicer its usually required to wear a chainmail glove. Its really tight chainlinks btw and will stop a Zombie from infecting you with a bite to the hand. It can still crush but not break the skin.

Asrrin
2013-05-17, 11:05 AM
A cracker barrel I was recently at has various farm implements like scythes and shears and washboards, as well as a pair of muskets.

Shining Wrath
2013-05-17, 12:09 PM
Also, table legs make excellent bludgeons.

Crazysaneman
2013-05-17, 12:19 PM
I have seen a moose rack, a canoe (and oars) a multi spiked wooden hat rack. License plates for cars, movie posters, some in glass frames, assorted reprints of various paintings, old tyme advertisements for dr schlessingers electric hat, promised to cure baldness, a solid metal kids trike, a schwinn, thats about all i can think of at the moment. Much of that would have some use.

Sounds to me like you've been to Red Robin and/or T.G.I. Fridays too much...

Talionis
2013-05-17, 12:51 PM
Maybe silly, but you might be able to wear a Stuffed Bear.

Fishing Line from a rod and reel might be useful.

I've seen handcuffs, those might be useful.

I think non-weapon items might be something else to think about.

Immabozo
2013-05-17, 12:59 PM
@ all the gun suggestions that are not from behind the bar/back office. Guns are fairly useless for more than fancy clubs without bullets. There is 0 chance decorative guns will be loaded and about 1 in 10,000 chance they will be working guns and 1 in 100,000 chance there will be ammunition for them, if they work.

dascarletm
2013-05-17, 02:36 PM
@ all the gun suggestions that are not from behind the bar/back office. Guns are fairly useless for more than fancy clubs without bullets. There is 0 chance decorative guns will be loaded and about 1 in 10,000 chance they will be working guns and 1 in 100,000 chance there will be ammunition for them, if they work.

Exactly. That's why you have them there. The players will see them and possibly waste time getting to them. Sometimes places will put up antique guns that are not decommissioned, especially in states where the laws on guns are looser. The beauty of Ammo, is that it is universal within your caliber. Thus if some customer who is packing has a .45 with 20 bullets and there is an antique .45 on the wall, you have double the firepower

ksbsnowowl
2013-05-17, 03:32 PM
Exactly. That's why you have them there. The players will see them and possibly waste time getting to them. Sometimes places will put up antique guns that are not decommissioned, especially in states where the laws on guns are looser. The beauty of Ammo, is that it is universal within your caliber. Thus if some customer who is packing has a .45 with 20 bullets and there is an antique .45 on the wall, you have double the firepowerTommygun right there!

Of course, the chances of a restaurant having a working NFA item just hanging on the wall... Yeah, not gonna happen.

Gerrtt
2013-05-17, 03:48 PM
I've seen musical instruments (guitars have strings and those strings can be quite strong, cymbals can be sharpened and thrown/swung into things, not much survives getting a tuba dropped on it, etc), sports gear (football pads, bowling balls/pins) and pizza cutters (admittedly from a pizza restaurant, but I remember in the 80's going to a pizza hut that had "antique" pizza cutters, some of which were basically axes/swords).

White_Drake
2013-05-17, 09:36 PM

What about the Winchester?

Blightedmarsh
2013-05-17, 11:23 PM
Old English pubs often have all sorts of agricultural and blacksmith equipment as well as horse tackle, trophies and the odd assortment of brewing equipment and the occasional Renaissance reproduction weapon.

Axes
Hammers
scythe blades
Tongs
Pitchforks
Mattocks
Mauls
Flails
pokers

danzibr
2013-05-19, 04:59 PM
I'd like to hear how this session (these sessions?) go. Please update when it happens!

Curmudgeon
2013-05-19, 05:44 PM
I was at a place that had the left half of a horse-drawn buggy up on the wall. Another place had half of a Model T car. Both of these were affixed to special structural reinforcements so you could climb up into them (I think; the Model T had a "do not climb" sign, but the weight of the thing necessarily dwarfs the weight of a person). They'd make interesting semi-enclosed elevated defensive positions. A kid's eatery had a teeter-totter affixed with its pivot axle cantilevered out from the wall, but only about 2' off the floor.

A steak restaurant had a really extensive collection of steak knives on the walls, something like 300+ different types (1 of each).