PDA

View Full Version : Lycanthropy question

Immabozo
2013-05-17, 02:20 PM
Do the pseudonatural and paragon templates make an animal no longer able to be used in a Lycanthrope template because of raising the int to 3 or higher, respectively?

And Feral also makes it ineligible because it becomes a magical beast, right?

Flickerdart
2013-05-17, 02:22 PM
Creatures with Intelligence above 2 cannot be animals, yes.

Immabozo
2013-05-17, 02:28 PM
Creatures with Intelligence above 2 cannot be animals, yes.

and therefore cannot be the animal part of a lycanthrope, right?

123456789blaaa
2013-05-17, 03:56 PM
You can't use any templated animals anyways thanks to this line from the MM errata:

A creature cannot use alternate form to take the form of a creature with a template.

Immabozo
2013-05-17, 04:12 PM
You can't use any templated animals anyways thanks to this line from the MM errata:

Darn, that answers my unasked questions! haha

Immabozo
2013-05-17, 04:15 PM
Wait! But in hybrid form, you aren't taking the form of an animal!! LOOPHOLES FTW!!!!!!

Flickerdart
2013-05-17, 04:44 PM
Wait! But in hybrid form, you aren't taking the form of an animal!! LOOPHOLES FTW!!!!!!
But you're still taking the form of a creature with a template.

Immabozo
2013-05-17, 05:00 PM
But you're still taking the form of a creature with a template.

but it's not an animal, rules say animal

Eldonauran
2013-05-17, 05:27 PM
but it's not an animal, rules say animal

All animals are creatures. Not all creatures are animals.

You can not use the ability to change into a creature (animal) with a template.

Immabozo
2013-05-17, 06:59 PM
All animals are creatures. Not all creatures are animals.

You can not use the ability to change into a creature (animal) with a template.

can you link the errata?

Immabozo
2013-05-17, 07:58 PM
So I've thought about it. Riddle me this, batman.

The templates are on the animal. Hybrid form is not templated, but all it's stats are calculated FROM the templated animal's updated stats, but the hybrid form is not templated itself.

Furthermore, the "cannot turn into a templated animal" rule makes is impossible to turn into full animal form, leaving involuntary changes to only put you back in hybrid form, right where you wanna be! So there is no reason to go for that natural lycanthrope!

Eldonauran
2013-05-17, 08:19 PM
can you link the errata?
There is no errata. That's a logical statement.

So I've thought about it. Riddle me this, batman.

The templates are on the animal. Hybrid form is not templated, but all it's stats are calculated FROM the templated animal's updated stats, but the hybrid form is not templated itself.

Furthermore, the "cannot turn into a templated animal" rule makes is impossible to turn into full animal form, leaving involuntary changes to only put you back in hybrid form, right where you wanna be! So there is no reason to go for that natural lycanthrope!

You seem to be stretching to reach the conclusion you want.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-05-17, 08:31 PM
You know what why the hell not? horribly lycanthropic abominations from the far-realm sound like loads of fun. Psudonatural lycanthropes sound like perfect nightmare fuel monsters to me.

Who cares if its against the rules or not.

TuggyNE
2013-05-17, 08:44 PM
You know what why the hell not? horribly lycanthropic abominations from the far-realm sound like loads of fun. Psudonatural lycanthropes sound like perfect nightmare fuel monsters to me.

Perfectly possible to be a Pseudonatural Lycanthrope, but you are Pseudonatural in all forms, and pay the full cost of the template. You just can't get it for free on your animal side.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-05-17, 09:00 PM
Perfectly possible to be a Pseudonatural Lycanthrope, but you are Pseudonatural in all forms, and pay the full cost of the template. You just can't get it for free on your animal side.

No no no, making them pseudonatural in all forms takes some fun out it. And whoever said it be free? You could always apply the LA to the character but only the pseudonatural abilities to the transformed state.

Hell who even said this was intended for a player. I'm thinking of sending my party to fight these things.

Immabozo
2013-05-17, 09:29 PM
No no no, making them pseudonatural in all forms takes some fun out it. And whoever said it be free? You could always apply the LA to the character but only the pseudonatural abilities to the transformed state.

Hell who even said this was intended for a player. I'm thinking of sending my party to fight these things.

I love the idea. I wish I could be there!

But I'm in love with the "paragon lycanthrope" or, is you watch Supernatural, the "alpha" or the first one, perfect, as they were supposed to be created.

I then continued the line of thought to "well, what could we do with the lycanthropes?"

There is no errata. That's a logical statement.

You seem to be stretching to reach the conclusion you want.

I disagree, for the above reasons. Pseudonatural versions exist, the, like I said, the paragons exist.

I dont think it's a stretch at all. No more than any TO build

Eldonauran
2013-05-17, 09:46 PM

If you want to house rule it, you are free to do so. i wont stop your fun

TypoNinja
2013-05-17, 11:24 PM
The errata says you cannot use alternate form to take the shape of a creature with a template.

This is why you turn into a base version of your animal when you shift.

Hybrid is allowed because there is no such thing as a creature that is only a hybrid, its not a creature its a blending of an animal and a human. You aren't taking the shape of a creature, you are stopping half way between a creature and your base form.

Your base form, while having a template slips though as well because you don't use alternate form to become human, you stop using alternate form to become human, its not an alternate anything its what you are.

Immabozo
2013-05-18, 02:47 AM
The errata says you cannot use alternate form to take the shape of a creature with a template.

This is why you turn into a base version of your animal when you shift.

Hybrid is allowed because there is no such thing as a creature that is only a hybrid, its not a creature its a blending of an animal and a human. You aren't taking the shape of a creature, you are stopping half way between a creature and your base form.

Your base form, while having a template slips though as well because you don't use alternate form to become human, you stop using alternate form to become human, its not an alternate anything its what you are.

I agree, furthermore, the templates aren't on the hybrid form, they are on the base creature, who's modified stats are the source of the stats for hybrid form!