PDA

View Full Version : Negotiating with Celestial Powers

CaladanMoonblad
2013-05-17, 02:38 PM
In my campaign world, I have created “Places of Power” corresponding to the outer planes powers for each of the 9 alignments. These secret and hard to find (many are wreathed in illusion and all have a high level guardian) places of power are strewn throughout the world, and only 4 of 9 are even recorded in myth and legend (thus, finding one is a huge campaign boon). In exchange for services or artifacts/ingredients, a person may negotiate for magical arms, armor, items, or power.

Previously, my heroes negotiated with the Infernal Powers at a place of power oriented with Lawful Evil (and the origin of the vampire lord for a Transylvania-esque adventure zone I ran). My heroes exchanged a unicorn’s horn for a suit of plate armor for instance (it’s actually a transformed outsider). My heroes refused to do services for the Infernal Powers (I used it as a way to tempt my heroes in their war against a vampire lord and his undead court), and simply focused on exchanging ingredients for Infernal artifacts/items.

Now, for the purpose of this post; I have hinted to my players (levels 10-13) in the past few sessions about The White Theophany (Neutral Good) in the current adventure zone (tundra, mountains, barbarians, etc.). In addition, they have already found two items of celestial manufacture (a magical greatsword and mwk longsword). So my heroes know that the place exists for sure and it is part of their ongoing list of things to do in the Far North. Most of my heroes are Good or Neutral oriented, with a mix between Lawful and Chaotic (the source of most group arguments for courses of action).

Our game is Core only with a few case by case exceptions (ie, magic items, spells, etc from the previous age) from the expanded d20 library at our disposal (including some homebrew).

This is the “menu” I have for the White Theophany (a Stonehenge-esque ring of stones high in the mountains protected by a mature Silver Dragon named Symposia) so far;

Weapon Enchantments; All Core enchantments except Unholy, plus Ancient (doubles hp/hardness of the item, +1 cost), Focused (weapon will “hold the charge” for any touch spell equal to character level, +1 cost).

Armor & Shields; All Core enchantments, plus Ancient (see above) and Holy Barrier (1x daily, Cast Circle of Protection (Evil) as 7th level caster, 5,000 gp).

Magic Items; Any item from Core, including Manuals for Wis, Cha, and Str between +1 and +3. Definitely not Evil or Necromantic items.

Now, how to pay? Deeds only! Asking for a trophy like the Infernal Powers did doesn’t seem in character to me for the Neutral Good Powers. : /

So here are my quest types;
1) Defeat a Champion of Evil (CR 13+) for 50,000 gp credit
2) Defeat an Evil Dragon (juvenile or above) for 5,000 base, +2000 per age level
3) Defeat a Lieutenant of Evil (CR 9-12) for 2,500 gp credit
4) Protect a Good community (100+) from an Evil threat (CR 6+), 2500 gp credit

To "claim credit" my heroes will need to carry around a polished stone (scrying focus).

So now I ask the Playground for constructive additions or suggestions. My zone’s BBEG is a CR 15 menace (ominously titled The King in the North) such that my heroes keep running into his vassals (orcs, ogres, frost giants, etc.) in their quest to track down a previous PC (whose player left the game for real life issues) and save/protect/help them (this hero disappeared from the game’s story 3 years before).

Is there something that just screams “Neutral-Good” magical item that could be placed on my menu? Of course there will be trouble for the Infernal items the heroes still have in their possession, but I’m thinking simply about what should be in the “store.”

The group build does include a mix of martial, divine, and arcane, and the Paladin of the group is particularly keen to talk with these celestial powers (he’s looking for info on Heironeous’ missing daughter). And yes, I am keeping this place “secret” (it moves about and only reveals itself to those in need, and I am using “waymarkers” that can lead to it’s general whereabouts for Good characters). I plan on letting my heroes access the Celestial Store three times maximum (so the first time to negotiate and see what’s in the store, a second time to upgrade or refit, and a last time if they defeat my BBEG).

Thoughts, suggestions, etc.?

Xervous
2013-05-17, 03:26 PM
Woah, this is some quality stuff.

The first thing that comes to mind is: with these places of power in existence for how long?, how many other individuals have traveled to / stumbled upon them and benefited from such a happening?

Additionally, it would make perfect sense for a main villain (perhaps the next BBEG) to have some ties to one of the nastier Places of Power. Perhaps his MacGuffin is being held there and he (or his underlings) are working to fulfill the conditions to obtain it. Or maybe he's searching for the place of power so that he may learn the location of a legendary-evil-conquer-(or destroy)-the world type of artifact.

Also, on the list of things that feel neutral goodish, the word that pops to mind is benevolence. Some sort of healing / buffing item would be a good choice in my eyes, perhaps a custom Standard (war banner) ?

CaladanMoonblad
2013-05-17, 03:56 PM
Woah, this is some quality stuff.

The first thing that comes to mind is: with these places of power in existence for how long?, how many other individuals have traveled to / stumbled upon them and benefited from such a happening?

I already established to my group that finding such a place requires "great need." They were able to access (the Neutral heroes before their actions raised some to Good) the Infernal Stones three times (it is guarded by a witch and her devil dog). Out of 100 who try to find these places, only 1 may succeed, and that person may find it once, or twice, but never more than three times. In my previous storyline, my vampire lord became a vampire through his love's dealing with the stones to "bring him back to me" in exchange for a piece of her soul. You know, classic villain origin.

Additionally, it would make perfect sense for a main villain (perhaps the next BBEG) to have some ties to one of the nastier Places of Power. Perhaps his MacGuffin is being held there and he (or his underlings) are working to fulfill the conditions to obtain it. Or maybe he's searching for the place of power so that he may learn the location of a legendary-evil-conquer-(or destroy)-the world type of artifact.

Yes, I agree; my BBEG is sporting an artifact from a Neutral Evil place of power that transformed a hero into a villain. I have the places of power being cloaked and hidden simply to keep other places of power from pre-empting a strike (for instance, my heroes protected the Infernal Stones from an invasion of Clockwork Horrors sent by the Lawful Neutral rivals).

Good idea on the MacGuffin; it would make destroying a lich's phylactery all the more harder. I do allow rival artifacts to be destroyed at a place of power as well (and sometimes traded for face value in the past).

Also, on the list of things that feel neutral goodish, the word that pops to mind is benevolence. Some sort of healing / buffing item would be a good choice in my eyes, perhaps a custom Standard (war banner) ?

Oh, good idea! My players have been gaming since level 2, and still haven't come up with an agreed upon adventuring group name (we use "Blank" since in game they have one to deal with reputation rewards, but technically they are a nameless group). Maybe... a Banner of Bless? So, continuous effect with the group's standard, as the spell. That works out to be (1)(1)(2,000) worth 2k -6k (if creating the wondrous item requires a 3rd caster level). Maybe tack on a Cure Mass Light wounds effect? So (5)(12)(1800) / 5 for a 1x daily effect?

Xervous
2013-05-17, 04:49 PM
From the looks of it, you are making a very cheap banner. If you want to pile some more goodies into it... here's a few suggestions.

Magic Circle Against Evil
Prayer (+1 to most things for allies, -1 to most things for enemies)
N per day castings of restoration (greater,lesser, or normal at your choosing)
Aid in place of Bless, N/per day when the banner is struck (or activated if someone is mounting it on a frame to carry like a backpack)