PDA

View Full Version : two Goblin Player Races P.E.A.C.H

DMwithoutPC's
2013-05-17, 04:12 PM
In my campaign world, Goblins should be one of the main playable races. Two actually, because there are two very different types of Goblins. and in my opinion, the MM goblin races suited neither. This is why I created two of my own!

However, I am not a very experienced player, DM or Brewer, so I hope to get some helpfull critiques on my races.

Society Goblin

http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/mtgcom/arcana1000/1024_FlectoFinal.jpg

The Society Goblins (not the final name, btw) are mostly scientists, mages or diplomats. They cluster together in Universities, and a city isn't a city if it doesn't have at least one Goblin College. Though these goblins are not always trusted by the other races, many have learned to appreciate there finely crafted magic items, their great knowledge or just there social but whimsical nature.
Personality: Society goblins seem eager to get along with anyone, but are slow to truly trust someone. They are taught from an early age that the world outside the walls of their university is a dangerous place. Nearly all other races are physically stronger than the Society goblins. So try to keep on the big folk’s good side, always keep a trick up your sleeve and secure a flight route. But in the meanwhile smile! While they may keep a whimsical and maybe even foolish appearance to the outside world, Society goblins are very driven. Excel at what you do, whatever it is you are doing.
Physical Description: Society goblins stand about 3 to 3-1/2 feet tall and weigh about 45 to 50 pounds. Their skin ranges from a minty green to a deep dark green. They are always completely hairless and their eyes are usually dark brown or jet black, but can be any variation of brown. They have large noses and very long ears, often pierced. Many goblins like adorning themselves with trinkets and jewellery and like wearing expensive looking clothing. Even to far beyond the ridiculous (see picture). But they are definitely not to vain to change in to something more practical if the situation demands it. (However, they may complain about it for hours)
Relations: Society goblins get along well with elves, enjoying both their aptness with the magical arts as their cultural refinement. The find they have a similar mind set as Halfling, although they find their lack of education disturbing. They kind of see them as little brothers who they have to teach a lot. Society goblins have a grudging collegial feud with Gnomes, their equals with their favourite magic of Illusion. In humans and half elves they see practical neighbours, whose cities can protect their universities, but they have no particular like for these tall folks. Half-orcs are a grim reminder of their past submission to the orcs. The Dwarven distrust and hate for all goblinoid races is met with a contempt and spiteful attitude towards these tunnel dwellers.
Goblin Lands: the Society goblins do not have a lot of land of their own. Generally they live in Universities. What a Goblin University looks like varies widely, with the smallest being simple wooden houses were 10 or twenty goblins live together to dozens of gigantic marble towers, connected by bridges and hallways. This peculiar living arrangement were originally build on high mountain ranges, far away from their dwarven enemies and their ‘allies’ the orcs. In time, some goblins moved to more populated areas in pursuit of knowledge or power. Such groups of goblins could start their own ‘university’ near a town, and trade protection and food for knowledge and magical aid. In time these towns prospered and turned in to cities, built around and protecting the Goblin Universities. Society Goblins living outside a University isn’t unheard of, starting small shops or working as lawyers or accountants. But you will never find a Society goblin in a city without a university, except if he is inspecting a possibility for a University.
Religion: Goblins aren’t very religious, favouring logic over faith. But Society goblins are also opportunistic and take help from wherever they can get it. Gods of knowledge and magic are favoured, but gods of luck or trickery are also too many goblins liking.
Language: Society goblins speak a version of Goblin called High Goblic. But they can communicate easily with other goblinoid races. The biggest difference is High Goblic uses the Elven Alphabet. However this change did have effect on how they pronounce certain syllables. In what languages they are interested and able to learn, these are all languages, except for secret languages like Druidic. But there are rumours that some goblin universities have notes and are busy decoding the secret language of Druids. Goblins always deny such preposterous accusations.
Names: Society have kept many of the first names from long ago, when they still lived in the wilderness, but made them sound more elegant and sophisticated. Well, elegant in goblins eyes, they particularly enjoy the letter z, t, l and v. As last names they either choose the name of the University they came from, or there specialty, like architecture or Divination or diametrically-opposed-energies-in self-contained-thermoplastic-bubbles.
Male Names: Cantar, Elguriour, Flatellio, Typtos-viptos, Garisisiz, Naioeul (the e is silent, the a, i, o and u also are), Nivvet, Tuzle
Female Names: Ugratini, Lezly, Fonilotil, Ewerdil, Gordi, Tordlé, Smortle, Lys-é-Tys
Last Names: Obfuscator, Toolmaker, Gordolhome, Servantil, Magitechnician, Necrobotanist, Songsmith, of Rongwater, of Hightower
Adventures: Society goblins are often either very studious or vast enjoyers of the good life. Often both. These may not seem as the best condition to become the adventurous type. However, goblins are also extremely curious and eager to learn. The might start adventuring because they want to learn more about the world outside their University, or to obtain a certain Piece of information they can’t find in their libraries. Others might want to show off their skill with magic or the like, and adventure to gain fame.

Society goblin racial Traits

• -2 strength, -2 constitution, +2 intelligence, +2 charisma. Society Goblins are physically very weak but are smart and social.
• Small: As a Small creature, a goblin gains a +1 size bonus to Armour Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
• a Society Goblins land base speed is 20 feet
• +2 racial bonus on Bluff and Diplomacy, OR Use Magic Device and Knowledge (choose one). A Society Goblin either took Politics 101 or an extracurricular activity focused on stuff-you-should-know.
• A Society goblin adds Use Magic Device to their class skill list. Every Society Goblin tried to activate some wand lying around or a medallion marked DO NOT TOUCH when they were a kid. And they still love to try!
• +1 on all saves against magical effects. Goblins are used to dodging rampart fireballs in there study halls or their mind being targeted in some prank.
• +1 CL when casting a spell from the Evocation school. Goblins love stuff that goes boom. But in a scholarly manner.
• A Society goblin may always make a knowledge check, even if he has no ranks in this skill
• automatic languages: Common, Old High Goblic
• Favoured class: Wizard. A multiclass goblin wizard does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty

Wilderness Goblin
http://http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/015/6/d/goblin_assassin_by_melihyilmaz-d378l39.jpg

These goblins live in tribes throughout the world. Actually, they are probably the only race that truly lives EVERYWHERE. Even the humans don’t live at all the remote places Wilderness goblins inhabit. But that doesn’t say they only live in far off places. Many mixed villages of Goblins and Gnomes or Goblins and Humans exist. And there’s always an abundance of Wilderness goblins in an Orcish society. However Wilderness Goblins are often mistrusted and are not welcome everywhere. This has led to them being gruff and a little asocial.
Personality: years of hate and distrust have left the Society goblins sullen and uncaring for those who do not belong to their group. Their group doesn’t have to be just goblins; it could be a town or an adventuring party. They aren’t as witty as Society goblins, and more focused on survival and getting the job done, whatever that is. As with society goblins, it takes long to gain their trust, but ones you’re in their inner circle they’d take a bullet for you. (If your game is that high-tech, if not they’ll settle for an arrow or throwing knife).
Physical Description: Society goblins stand about 3 to 3-1/2 feet tall and weigh about 40 to 45 pounds. Their skin tones are generally darker than those of Society Goblins; they range from an apple green to almost black. They are always completely hairless and their eyes are usually dark brown or jet black, but can be any variation of brown. They have large noses and huge, pointy ears. They do not wear a lot of jewellery, except for earrings. Which indicate social standing, the more earrings you have, the higher you are on the social ladder. Their clothing is more focused on utility then on looks.
Relations: Wilderness Goblins only get along great with Halflings. Those charming little buggers get to come out of their shells. They have no problem with half-orcs, who have similar trust problems because of their green skins. Also they are not very bright and easy to fool. They get along fine with Humans, Gnomes and Elves and Half-Elves. Many goblins dislike the dwarves because of their territorial feud, and even the goblins that don’t live close to the dwarven mountain kingdoms, are enjoyed by their continual aggressive behaviour and have learned to fight the bearded folk.
Goblin Lands: The Wilderness Goblins have many lands of their own, though only a few maps show them. Otherwise they mingle in the lands of the other races. They have a feud with the dwarves about the mountain lands, of which the goblins claim the dwarves stole it from them, and the dwarves say the same thing the other way around. Still many goblins realms lay in or upon the mountains, constantly battling the dwarves and kobolds.
Religion: The Wilderness goblins favour the gods of the wild, the road and those of subtlety. In game any god with the Nature, Air, Travel, Luck, Trickery or Celerity will do.
Language: Wilderness Goblins speak Goblin and tend to learn the languages of their neighbouring races, which can vary extremely.
Names: Wilderness Goblins have short names with primarily hard consonants like the k, g, r and z. female names often have an i or y in them. Goblins state their tribe name after their first name. Tribe names often have a prefix to show where the clan lives. For instance: Aahn means mountain tribe, Zor means swamp tribe, Momul means tribe-living-in-a-human-town and Kahn means war tribe.
Male Names: Kant, Guri, Frat, Tiptoz, Garis, Nulk, Niwat, Tuz
Female Names: Ugrati, Lezly, Foni, Ewerr, Gordi, Dorzi, Morgi, Lisety
Tribe Names: Aahn-gratre, Aahn-hulmi, Zor-nazzikon, Zor-asriggan, Momul-Redmill, Momul-Sandsedge, Kahn-Haziz, Kahn-Dastor

Wilderness Goblin Racial Traits
• +2 dexterity, -2 charisma. Wilderness goblins are fast and nimble, but normally gruff and asocial
• Small: As a Small creature, a goblin gains a +1 size bonus to Armour Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
• A Wilderness goblin land base speed is 30 feet (despite of being small creature type)
• +4 racial bonus move silently. Whether a goblin hunter stalking for pray or a rogue sneaking to a castle, you never hear a Wilderness Goblin coming.
• +2 Survival, ride. A wilderness Goblin knows how to survive in… well, the Wilderness.
• A Wilderness goblin has lowlight vision
• Orcish empathy: when dealing with orcs, Wilderness goblins have a +2 Bluff, Diplomacy and Sense Motive
• A Wilderness goblin +1 gain a racial bonus on attack rolls against Dwarves
• Common, Goblic
• Favoured Class: Rogue

Hanuman
2013-05-17, 08:29 PM
Was a little disappointed when I discovered this wasn't a playable race of two goblins standing on each-others shoulders.

Bhu
2013-05-17, 09:16 PM
I like the concepts :smallsmile:

Rakoa
2013-05-17, 10:40 PM
I'm with Bhu. I like these Goblins much better than the SRD version.

Also, while casually skimming the fluff, the Goblin male name Flatellio did stand out to me. Mostly because I misread it.

gurgleflep
2013-05-18, 12:05 AM
Was a little disappointed when I discovered this wasn't a playable race of two goblins standing on each-others shoulders.

Why hasn't this been done yet?!