PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a template

Immabozo
2013-05-17, 04:29 PM
Is there a template that changes type to animal? Furthermore, adding a template that reduces int to 1 or 2, does it make the subject an animal? If it was an animal, but a high intelligence made it no longer an animal, could the application of -int templates bring it back to animal territory?

Flickerdart
2013-05-17, 04:50 PM
Animals are on the very bottom of the type pyramid - nothing can make you into an animal once you stop being one.

Immabozo
2013-05-17, 05:01 PM
Animals are on the very bottom of the type pyramid - nothing can make you into an animal once you stop being one.

If you add templates that change intelligence to greater than 2, do they become magical beasts? What happens if other templates lower their intelligence to 1 or 2?

Flickerdart
2013-05-17, 05:32 PM
If you add templates that change intelligence to greater than 2, do they become magical beasts? What happens if other templates lower their intelligence to 1 or 2?
Yes, and nothing happens.

Malimar
2013-05-17, 05:51 PM
There are plenty of non-Animals with Int 1 or 2. Getting your Int lowered doesn't change your type. An Animal whose Int rises above 2 does, in fact, become a Magical Beast.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that the Type Pyramid was 3.0 material, and is obsolete in 3.5, so there could, in theory, be a template that changes Type to Animal -- but there does not, in fact, happen to actually be any such template.

Curmudgeon
2013-05-17, 08:25 PM
You're not wrong. The 3.0 type pyramid is defunct. Basically, the Primary Sources Errata Rule says that it can't be followed, because the templates in 3.5 Monster Manual (the primary source for templates) work as directed. If any application of a template that's in conflict with the type pyramid still does what it says, the pyramid has no meaning.

Flickerdart
2013-05-17, 10:49 PM
You're not wrong. The 3.0 type pyramid is defunct. Basically, the Primary Sources Errata Rule says that it can't be followed, because the templates in 3.5 Monster Manual (the primary source for templates) work as directed. If any application of a template that's in conflict with the type pyramid still does what it says, the pyramid has no meaning.
The pyramid might not be a rule, but it's still a pretty good guideline when looking at what types you can make into what. I'm sure there are examples that contradict it, but I can't think of anything off-hand.

Lightlawbliss
2013-05-17, 11:12 PM
If you really want to be turned into an animal (I have no clue why) I would recommend you ask your dm. Animal is not something anything wants to become... normally.

eggynack
2013-05-17, 11:53 PM
I don't think it's really what you asked for, because it's a spell rather than a template, but the spell aspect of the wolf can give you the animal creature type.

Immabozo
2013-05-18, 02:54 AM
If you really want to be turned into an animal (I have no clue why) I would recommend you ask your dm. Animal is not something anything wants to become... normally.

I am thinking about a new TO build using template shenanigans and lycanthrope is one of them. If I can turn a templated animal back into an animal after it's int goes up too high for an animal, I can do some crazy shenanigans.

I don't think it's really what you asked for, because it's a spell rather than a template, but the spell aspect of the wolf can give you the animal creature type.

hmm, thanks, but thats not quite what I'm looking for, it's not permanent.

Another idea, since I am looking at inherited templates on an animal, can I put Paragon and then a bunch that lower int to less than 3, all inherited "at the same time" before the animal is born?