PDA

View Full Version : Old Ways OOC III

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Roland St. Jude
2013-08-29, 04:49 PM
It's under 6, but use this set.

More than two ability scores below, so re-rolling.

STR [roll0]
DEX [roll1]
CON [roll2]
INT [roll3]
WIS [roll4]
CHA [roll5]

Also, do a d100 for social status.

Nevaera
2013-08-29, 06:58 PM
He means this set:

"More than two ability scores below, so re-rolling.

STR (3d6)[6]
DEX (3d6)[8]
CON (3d6)[5]
INT (3d6)[14]
WIS (3d6)[10]
CHA (3d6)[11]"

Welcome aboard! ^_^

Gwendol
2013-08-30, 02:09 AM
Social status [roll0]

Gwendol
2013-08-30, 02:51 AM
Name: Athos the frail
Class: Magic User

Alignment: Neutral

Description:

Athos is a frail young man of poor constitution, but a bright mind. Despite his physical shortcomings he has a positive and optimistic outlook on life. Dressed in a simple, but well made and clean robe he considers himself ready to venture forth in this world, armed only with his wits and his mostly empty spell-book.

History:

Hailing from a family of masons, Athos was from an early age deemed to frail to carry on the business, and was instead sent to assist a local scribe. Despite being nearly killed by illnesses while growing up, which left him frail, and suffering from fits of dry cough, he learned to read and write well, and showing aptitude for the intellectual endeavours of magic he was eventually offered the place as a Wizard's apprentice (Lorentus the Brown). Having passed the examinations of the apprentice magic user, Athos is now eager to prove himself in the real world.

Speech: Red
Level: Three

Experience: 9464 (10.000) 5% bonus

Attributes:

Strength 6 (-1)
Dexterity 8 (-1)
Constitution 5 (-2)
Intelligence 14 (+1)
Wisdom 10 (+0)
Charisma 11 (+0)

Saving Throws:

Death Ray/Poison 13
Magic Wands 14
Paralysis/Petrification 13
Breath Weapon 16
Spells 15

Hit Points: 3 (-2/level)

Armour Class: 9

THAC0: 20

Movement Speed:

Weapons: dagger, sling

Weapon Choices:
Dagger basic 21(22) 1d4 10/20/30
Sling skilled 20 1d6 40/80/160 stun s/m (AC 1/2)

Skills:
Alchemy
Alternate magics
Knowledge: Local
Healing +1

Languages: Common, Neutral, Orc

Abilities:

Family Social Status: Struggling.

Possessions:

Work in progress.
Spell book
Backpack (containing the spell book)
Dagger of returning +2 (around waist)
Sling + ammo
Writing utensils
Iron rations (1 week)
Wolfsbane
Lantern
3 flasks of oil
Waterskin
ring of waterwalking (left hand)
wand of paralysis (wand pocket in sleeve)

48 gp - the cost of writing utensils

Spells:
Level 1
Read magic
Sleep
Protection from evil
Level 2
Web

Gwendol
2013-08-30, 02:53 AM
In the rules it says the DM provides the first spells, but I took the liberty of picking two. If you want me to change them please let me know.

I need to work on the equipment list, and figure out a bonus language. Any suggestions?

Edit: Also, I have trouble finding the rules for using skills and bonus skills based on INT (it is mentioned, but not referenced). Please give me some suggestions for suitable skills since my knowledge of where you are and the dangers you are facing is very limited.
Could I have a link to the IC thread?

Nevaera
2013-08-30, 09:52 AM
IC Thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284117

We've encountered Orcs, Kobalds, Goblins - I think, Centaurs, Troll, Elves, Dwarves, Giants, and other non-sentient beings, etc...
I don't have any suggestions for a language, but if you think a certain enemy race would be useful to speak and negotiate with or trick, then that might be a good language to pick.

Page 82 of the Rules Cyclopedia has a list of skills for you to choose from.

Gwendol
2013-08-30, 04:02 PM
Ok, I think I'm done now. When/how do I join the party?

Roland St. Jude
2013-08-30, 06:29 PM
One of your first level spells needs to be Read Magic.

But your next task will be to level up to level 3. Choose whatever spells or skills you'd like. Set your XP at the minimum needed for level 3.

You'll meet up with the party in Verge, which will probably a few days in RL time.

Frivolous
2013-08-30, 09:23 PM
Hope you enjoy the game, Gwendol.

Roland: May I ask if the wand of paralyzation remains with us?

Roland St. Jude
2013-08-30, 10:17 PM
Hope you enjoy the game, Gwendol.

Roland: May I ask if the wand of paralyzation remains with us?Yes. For now, Dural remains with you, too. When he leaves at Verge, he'll leave the wand with the Companions.

Roland St. Jude
2013-08-30, 10:28 PM
I moved things along a bit. If anyone has anything they want to do on the evening of night five or during the day on day six, just say so OOC.

Frivolous
2013-08-31, 01:25 AM
I moved things along a bit. If anyone has anything they want to do on the evening of night five or during the day on day six, just say so OOC.

Besides healing everyone up to full hit points, nothing I can think of.

Gwendol
2013-08-31, 05:29 AM
HP [roll0]
HP [roll1]

Minimum will be 1 hp per level, in case the roll above is negative.

Gwendol
2013-09-02, 02:43 AM
I think I'm ready for play now.

Matthew
2013-09-02, 03:39 AM
Welcome, Gwendol! Definitely somebody to keep away from combat, then! :smallbiggrin:

Gwendol
2013-09-02, 04:38 AM
Yup, I'm a true one hit wonder... :smallbiggrin:

Koren n'Rhys
2013-09-02, 09:25 AM
Lol. Sorry about those roll, Gwendol. Unfortunately, you seem to roll as badly for hp as I have been. Still, it fits your backstory doesn't it! :smallwink:

Gwendol
2013-09-02, 09:48 AM
My guess is we'll soon be needing a replacement in the arcane department...

Kish
2013-09-02, 10:25 AM
Lol. Sorry about those roll, Gwendol. Unfortunately, you seem to roll as badly for hp as I have been. Still, it fits your backstory doesn't it! :smallwink:
With 5 Constitution, the two 1s don't actually matter--all that matters is that they were two not-fours.

Nevaera
2013-09-02, 03:57 PM
With 5 Constitution, the two 1s don't actually matter--all that matters is that they were two not-fours.

Heheh, I second that. I'm awful at putting a good spin on such a statement. :smallbiggrin:

Roland St. Jude
2013-09-06, 11:12 AM
My guess is we'll soon be needing a replacement in the arcane department...Okay, check your PMs and get ready to enter stage left!

Roland St. Jude
2013-09-08, 02:20 PM
New PC in play!

Gwendol
2013-09-09, 06:32 AM
I notice a mix of present and past tense in the IC posts. Any preference?

Roland St. Jude
2013-09-09, 08:34 AM
I prefer present tense for players. Sometimes as DM I need to move time along and things become past. Also, increasingly, I get sloppy about it. :smallbiggrin:

Gwendol
2013-09-09, 02:38 PM
Just like I do then, great! :smallsmile:

Nevaera
2013-09-09, 06:49 PM
Is past tense like:
She moved past the cart and asked the man a question about lodging. If he offered the information she was seeking, she would take his advice and thank him.

And present like:
She'll move past the cart and ask the man if there is safe lodging provided in this town. If he helps her, she will thank him before taking his advice.

(Bad example, but I iz tired. :P )

??

Roland St. Jude
2013-09-09, 09:10 PM
Basically, yes, but both of those examples are a bit overcomplicated by using "she" instead of the character name and by including a condition.

Present tense IC usually reads something like:

"Ash cleans the blood off her sword and pokes gingerly at the dragon corpse to see if it yet lives."

Past tense IC usually reads something like:

"Ash cleaned the blood off her sword and poked gingerly at the dragon corpse to see if it yet lived."

Roland St. Jude
2013-09-09, 09:13 PM
Interestingly, post #2 of this thread specifies past tense, so maybe that was what we agreed on last time this came up.

Perhaps we should have a new discussion and vote on this. I'd rather we most aimed for the same tense rather than being all over the place.

Nevaera
2013-09-10, 11:21 PM
Thanks. That clears things up a bit.

I personally vote primarily present tense unless a specific situation occurs addressing older actions that calls for past tense.

If I don't make sense, then Present Tense is my recommendation still.

['nother long day. XP ]

Gwendol
2013-09-11, 08:18 AM
No strong preference, but I vote for present.

Frivolous
2013-09-11, 08:40 AM
I like present tense.

Gwendol
2013-09-13, 06:22 AM
Athos prepares:
Level 1: Sleep, Protection from Evil
Level 2: Web

Koren n'Rhys
2013-09-13, 04:03 PM
Well crap. It occurred to me today that I hadn't seen a notification from this game in a while now, so I checked in. Looks like I missed quite a bit somehow. Will catch up and post ASAP. Sorry guys and gals!

Nevaera
2013-09-13, 04:51 PM
I forget. Are Electrums equal to half a platinum or half a gold?

I'm trying to calculate everyone's cut and still pay back Ash for the loan she gave the party to buy supplies and then still buy/rent a cart and buy/rent a draft horse or two.

Nevaera
2013-09-13, 05:35 PM
I think I have it figured.
2e = 1g.
so 2000e = 1000g.
Half of any electrum total would be the gold value.

Everyone would then get 100e (50g)
Ash would be partially paid back the party's debt to her (for the horses for the hirelings, the food, the supplies...) and take 500e (250g out of the 456g she is owed)
then the cart and draft horses would cost some
and the hirelings and Penny would get a share too.

Theirs to be determined later.

Any complaints?

Roland St. Jude
2013-09-13, 06:25 PM
I think I have it figured.
2e = 1g.
so 2000e = 1000g.
Half of any electrum total would be the gold value.This is correct.

Gwendol
2013-09-15, 01:24 AM
With both alchemy and healing Athos should be able to learn from his lesson, right?

Roland St. Jude
2013-09-15, 09:56 AM
With both alchemy and healing Athos should be able to learn from his lesson, right?Oh sure. Athos probably even has a good sense of why it works and possibly what herbs are involved.

Roland St. Jude
2013-09-16, 03:03 PM
"Oh, did we say ancient temple full of spiders? We meant temple to ancient spider Immortal. Oops." :smallamused:

Gwendol
2013-09-17, 03:29 AM
Does my studies of alternate magic and the arcane help in understanding the nature of the threat at the temple?

Edit: I want to cast web to try and entangle the snake. I note the spell has only 10' range, and fills a 10' cube, which makes me uncertain I can close the distance and cast the spell in the same round. Please advise.

Matthew
2013-09-17, 04:15 AM
Well crap. It occurred to me today that I hadn't seen a notification from this game in a while now, so I checked in. Looks like I missed quite a bit somehow. Will catch up and post ASAP. Sorry guys and gals!

Weirdly, that happened to me too during a similar time period, though my post about it seems to have disappeared. Best I can tell, no notifications were sent after the 9th of September to me, and I checked back in on the 15th of September when I realised something was up (no coincidence that this corresponds to busy weekdays, I suspect).

I forget. Are Electrums equal to half a platinum or half a gold?

As you noted above, 2 EP = 1 GP, which is because electrum is an alloy of gold and silver, roughly half each (slightly less than half gold in D&D it would seem).

"Oh, did we say ancient temple full of spiders? We meant temple to ancient spider Immortal. Oops." :smallamused:

No sweat; spiders, snakes, immortal sorcerers, we will take on all comers! :smallbiggrin:

Nevaera
2013-09-17, 10:55 AM

No sweat; spiders, snakes, immortal sorcerers, we will take on all comers! :smallbiggrin:
LoL.

Yeah, bring on the poison!

I'm totally gonna die... XD
Well, me or Brandon, unless the group gets flanked or if the snakes are fast SOBs and just shoot past us.

Edit: Oh, and there might be magical limitations for the casters, so the whole group may have to move up a bit to get off the initial attack plan. Those people should speak up so the plan can adapt if need be.

Nevaera
2013-09-17, 10:57 AM
Alright, everyone add 100 electrum to your character sheets and make sure to note it's value at 50g.
Make a post here or PM me when you're money is accounted for. I'll keep track of the leftovers on my character sheet with the group loot and the bag of holding.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-09-17, 11:05 AM
Alright, everyone add 100 electrum to your character sheets and make sure to note it's value at 50g.
Make a post here or PM me when you're money is accounted for. I'll keep track of the leftovers on my character sheet with the group loot and the bag of holding.
Done. I also noticed I never added anything about my horse to my character sheet. Now I need to dig back and find that...

Roland St. Jude
2013-09-17, 11:20 AM
Done. I also noticed I never added anything about my horse to my character sheet. Now I need to dig back and find that...So...you've got two coconuts and you're banging 'em together?

Koren n'Rhys
2013-09-17, 11:40 AM
So...you've got two coconuts and you're banging 'em together?

Why yes, yes I do. The African Swallows have been very generous this year.

Kish
2013-09-17, 12:16 PM
Make a post here or PM me when you're money is accounted for.
Done. .....

Matthew
2013-09-18, 04:14 AM
Alright, everyone add 100 electrum to your character sheets and make sure to note it's value at 50g. Make a post here or PM me when you're money is accounted for. I'll keep track of the leftovers on my character sheet with the group loot and the bag of holding.

Done; Nathros has stowed his share on one of the wagons, too heavy to carry around with him.

Gwendol
2013-09-18, 08:13 AM
I just assume I need to actually earn my share still :smallsmile:

Nevaera
2013-09-18, 08:34 AM
Oh, that's right. Sorry. That bit went to Dural earlier, I remember now.

Thanks guys. Makes the $ business easier when everyone takes their share promptly. ^_^

Roland St. Jude
2013-09-18, 08:50 AM
Individuals might choose, and I'll allow retcons to do it, to leave their coin with the Temple/Lord/Other, in Verge. Mind you, that's not without some risk. Verge does get sacked sometimes.

Nevaera
2013-09-18, 08:52 AM
So...you've got two coconuts and you're banging 'em together?

Why yes, yes I do. The African Swallows have been very generous this year.
(Hahaha)
I heard they've developed fantastic teamwork and even better for having the new lines installed last year.

Nevaera
2013-09-18, 08:53 AM
Ash could hang onto the money in the bag of holding, just so long as everyone has recorded on their sheet that it's their money. Then they can have access to it anytime Ash is around and they wish to spend it.

Frivolous
2013-09-18, 11:14 AM
Roland: May I ask what kind of vegetation is near the snake, and how dry the area is?

Bran might use fire to drive off the critter, but not if there is a good chance of causing a forest fire.

Roland St. Jude
2013-09-18, 01:30 PM
Roland: May I ask what kind of vegetation is near the snake, and how dry the area is?

Bran might use fire to drive off the critter, but not if there is a good chance of causing a forest fire.The area is grassy, lightly-wooded hills. Forest fire possibilities are hard to gauge but seems unlikely right this minute. It's been an unusually hot and dry summer, but it's also been overcast and drizzly since you left Verge.

Roland St. Jude
2013-09-18, 02:17 PM
Bran sounds enthusiastic. It's been so long since he set anything ablaze.Brandon's pyromanical tendencies are just useful enough to be legitimate and just prevalent enough to be disturbing. :smallsmile:

Gwendol
2013-09-19, 10:21 AM
Can I ready an action to cast web once the approaching snakes are in range?

Roland St. Jude
2013-09-19, 02:21 PM
Can I ready an action to cast web once the approaching snakes are in range?Sure. I mean, there's not really a mechanic for it, so you just declare that's what you want to do and give it a shot.

I would note, because Athos would see this right away, that by the time they get within 10' of you in the middle of the group, their likely to be engaged in with your frontliners.

Gwendol
2013-09-19, 04:08 PM
But I moved to the front!

Roland St. Jude
2013-09-19, 06:39 PM
But I moved to the front!Well in that case, disregard that last comment.

Roland St. Jude
2013-09-20, 05:33 PM
Cliffhanger time! I'm both sick and traveling this weekend. I probably won't get and IC post up until sometime Monday, possibly Sunday night.

Sorry, folks!

Matthew
2013-09-20, 09:23 PM
Get better soon!

Frivolous
2013-09-21, 01:07 AM
That's fairly bad, Roland. I wish you better health and hope your illness doesn't cause too many problems as you travel.

Gwendol
2013-09-21, 05:02 AM
Get well, and safe travels!

Koren n'Rhys
2013-09-21, 12:23 PM
Enjoy your trip and feel better - we'll be here when you're ready to resume.

Nevaera
2013-09-23, 11:04 AM
Hope you feel better soon.
---
Looking forward to the conclusion to our slithery circumstances.

Roland St. Jude
2013-09-23, 12:03 PM
Thanks all. I feel about the same, but I'm home now. So we can get back to the scaly fun.

Frivolous
2013-09-23, 01:50 PM
Hey, all, especially Roland and Matthew, I just remembered something:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13886001&postcount=1102

Hi all. In 5 hours we will have marked the 2nd anniversary of this game. :smallbiggrin:

We lost most of our original party but Matthew and I are still here, and of course Roland the Amazing is still here.

I'm really happy to be part of such a long-lasting group and game that is not slow.

We have passed our 3rd anniversary for this game! :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Roland St. Jude
2013-09-23, 02:56 PM
Nice! I had a vague feeling we were near that date. Thank you for finding the evidence. Congrats everyone!

Matthew
2013-09-24, 09:32 AM
Nice, indeed. Let us see what the next three bring!

Koren n'Rhys
2013-09-24, 09:37 AM
Oh yeah. Just keep connecting and we'll whittle them down. It's the rounds lost to misses that hurt.

Nevaera
2013-09-24, 09:50 AM
Oh yeah. Just keep connecting and we'll whittle them down. It's the rounds lost to misses that hurt.
I think I just rolled a 1. :smallredface: >.<
---
Congrats all on our game anniversary! :smallsmile: :D

Gwendol
2013-09-24, 01:39 PM
Our damage rolls are pitiful, but at least we seem to be hitting.

Gwendol
2013-09-25, 02:06 AM
So, middle snake is slithering through the web?

Roland St. Jude
2013-09-25, 07:40 AM
So, middle snake is slithering through the web?
More like over the top of the enwebbed dead snake.

Nevaera
2013-09-25, 01:20 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran slides off his horse and if he can, he attacks the same snake Nathros is fighting.

Ash made a call before battle to dismount and tie off the horses quite a few yards back. You didn't veto it then, so perhaps you're not on a horse (and you don't have to spend time dismounting). No one has been picturing you on a horse thus far, I don't think.

On the other hand, it's a war horse, so it is designed to stay and fight rather than spook and run when there's danger.

I'll let you and Roland sort it out though, of course. :smallsmile:

Frivolous
2013-09-25, 10:51 PM
Oh I didn't notice that part.

I guess Bran is off his horse then. Which is good.

Nevaera
2013-09-27, 12:14 PM
Penny and each of the hirelings would have received 60e(30g).

Everyone who hasn't wrote your money down yet on your character sheet, you were to have 100e(50g).
[Edit: Brandon + Alanna?]

I put 320e(160g) into the two draft horses and the cart.
(each draft horse valued at 40g, the cart at 100g)

Electrum are a tad annoying to keep track of. :smalltongue:

Frivolous
2013-09-28, 07:18 PM
Pardon me, Roland, but I wish to confirm that Bran's last thrown oil flask missed.

He rolled a 13, not counting the Bless effect (which I forgot to account for), and missed. But he hit with a thrown oil flask on a 12 earlier. So I'm unsure what happened.

Also, may I ask about the darkness? How dark is it? Are we blind?

Also, does Ash have to save vs poison again? :smallfrown:

Roland St. Jude
2013-09-28, 09:59 PM
Pardon me, Roland, but I wish to confirm that Bran's last thrown oil flask missed.

He rolled a 13, not counting the Bless effect (which I forgot to account for), and missed. But he hit with a thrown oil flask on a 12 earlier. So I'm unsure what happened.

Also, may I ask about the darkness? How dark is it? Are we blind?

Also, does Ash have to save vs poison again? :smallfrown:
1. I'm not in a position to check right now, but I assume the first one was a hit because the snake was enwebbed.
2. The darkness is entirely, blindingly dark.
3. Yes. New bite, new save.

Matthew
2013-09-28, 10:49 PM
Sorry, typed something other than "roll" in my last two posts, so I deleted them in order to post correctly.

Nevaera
2013-09-29, 01:14 AM
Oops, rolling vs. Poison, DC10:
[roll0]

Koren n'Rhys
2013-09-29, 09:29 AM
Nice roll - you just keep on making those Poison save like that. :smallsmile:

Nevaera
2013-09-29, 10:28 AM
Heh, yeah, that's my hope anyways.
It helps having a low DC to beat (cause I'm a fighter).
I'll bet the snakes and the wyverns have a lower thac0 than 20. They seem to hit me once a round, but I think my sword skill is making a difference deflecting the first attack in a round...

Gwendol
2013-10-02, 03:02 AM
So, I'll try and paralyse the cleric then?

Nevaera
2013-10-02, 09:13 AM
Yes; it's too bad they are all in groups of two and that they're engaged with our allies now, but if you can get a clear shot, I think that'd be most useful.
Magic can be quite a tide turner. I'd rather it be our magic than theirs that makes that difference, if possible.

Nevaera
2013-10-04, 12:07 AM
Oh, figgle flops.
I had a cool thing for Ash to say if she succeeded resisting that extremely difficult save.

Kish
2013-10-04, 10:59 AM
If Aditi sees any means of withdrawing from the front lines that looks safer to her than staying there, she'll take it.

Frivolous
2013-10-04, 11:50 AM
Ugh. Hope our rolls improve soon. :)

MeanMrsMustard
2013-10-04, 06:09 PM
Guess who's back from the dead?
Sorry for leaving y'all, but I'm back now. :smallredface:

Kish
2013-10-04, 06:10 PM
Welcome back!

Frivolous
2013-10-04, 07:11 PM
Guess who's back from the dead?
Sorry for leaving y'all, but I'm back now. :smallredface:

Welcome back. :smallsmile:

Nevaera
2013-10-04, 07:49 PM
Welcome back! :D

Roland St. Jude
2013-10-06, 08:51 PM
I let this go a little longer to see if more people would post, but we're still at 3 people in the last three days.

Please post!

Frivolous
2013-10-06, 09:00 PM
Yes, I noticed the slowdown too. But I figured it was the usual weekend doldrums.

It's weirder than usual for me because I'm actually freer during the weekends. :smallsmile:

MeanMrsMustard
2013-10-06, 11:51 PM
Yeah, just let me catch up. I've had surprisingly little free time in the last couple of days.
I'll have a post up by midnight (an hour from now) my time.

Matthew
2013-10-07, 12:31 AM
Welcome back!

Apologies for my tardiness; I have had a really busy few days, and to top it off was not feeling very well yesterday.

Gwendol
2013-10-07, 05:36 AM
Busy weekend at the cottage: cutting down trees and chopping wood. I'm aching all over now.

So, can I move either left or right and get a clean shot with the wand? If not I have some other things I'd like to try.

EDIT: Actually, how far are the riders from one another? Are they attacking along a line of sorts?

Koren n'Rhys
2013-10-07, 08:12 AM
Ok, my post is up too. I was out of the office all day Friday, then busier than usual this weekend too. I normally get online a bit more in the mornings - sorry!

Gwendol
2013-10-07, 09:25 AM
Hm, I will have a hard time using area effect spells if we keep mixing up our battle-lines.

Roland St. Jude
2013-10-07, 08:02 PM
There's this dome (half a 30' radius sphere) 60 feet across.

At the start of the last round, Nathros and one or more snakes are inside. Mycah, Brandon, the three henchmen, and a single rider are on one side of it. Everyone else is on the other side with both priest and rider locked in close melee combat with Ash and Aditi. No clear line for a paralysis cone unless you run right up to one of them and try to hit them with the tiny near end of the cone.

New IC up shortly.

Frivolous
2013-10-07, 08:47 PM
Roland, some questions, if you don't mind:

So there are 2 spellcasting riders among the enemy?

I don't know if Bran could get an instant kill versus someone under Hold Person, so I rolled regular attack and damage rolls. Unless I'm mistaken, until now we've only killed people under Sleep.

Edit: Could someone engage in melee with the guy attacking Ashala? She's a bit vulnerable right now.

Bran can't do it; he's busy with combat and he's on the other side of the dome of darkness.

Frivolous
2013-10-07, 09:05 PM
Roland, sorry for all the editing I made to the text of Bran's actions and speech. I got confused and thought that the 3 henchmen with Bran were enemy henchmen. :smallredface:

Once I figured out they were friendly, I changed the speech from telling them to surrender to telling them to go around the darkness and aid the others.

Kish
2013-10-07, 09:20 PM
Edit: Could someone engage in melee with the guy attacking Ashala?
I just was, but I think me and my four hit points* are going to try to stop doing so now.

*Yes, I know this is bad grammar.

Roland St. Jude
2013-10-07, 09:21 PM
Roland, some questions, if you don't mind:

So there are 2 spellcasting riders among the enemy?Just the one on the opposite side of the dome from Brandon as far as you know. If anyone else among the riders can cast spell, they haven't so far.

I don't know if Bran could get an instant kill versus someone under Hold Person, so I rolled regular attack and damage rolls. Unless I'm mistaken, until now we've only killed people under Sleep.You're right to just roll. It isn't automatic but there are hefty bonuses.

MeanMrsMustard
2013-10-07, 11:20 PM
Hooray for shoddy rolls. :smallsigh:

Frivolous
2013-10-08, 12:24 AM
I just was, but I think me and my four hit points* are going to try to stop doing so now.

*Yes, I know this is bad grammar.

Aditi is back to 12 hit points. Penelope healed her using Alanna's bead.

Gwendol
2013-10-08, 02:25 AM
Ok, so Athos tries to hit two of the riders with a sleep spell prior to Mycah sneaking around them for a backstab.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-10-08, 06:19 AM
Gwendol, you've got to make your saving throw and get out of the radius of the Silence spell before you can cast - or use the wand if it has a command word. That nasty priest has you neutralized for the moment.

Gwendol
2013-10-08, 07:28 AM
But I've missed two rounds worth of actions already waiting for answers on questions. My sleep spell should come off before the cleric casts silence.

Roland St. Jude
2013-10-08, 11:22 PM
But I've missed two rounds worth of actions already waiting for answers on questions.I see three questions (in posts #307, #324, and #348), which I answered promptly and then this question...
So, I'll try and paralyse the cleric then?It's fine to ask fellow players for advice, but it's ultimately up to you to declare your own action each round. If you don't, then you risk either DM action or no action.
My sleep spell should come off before the cleric casts silence.It can happen this turn on your action, if you save versus the silence and move out of the sphere. I'm not going to retro in an undeclared action.

The best way to approach this is to declare your action and I'll try to make it work. If you really have doubts, provide some alternatives in the spoiler for your action. It's easier to try to describe an action to effectuate your desire or choose from among options than to retro in an undeclared action.

It helps if you include the limits or lack thereof in your intentions. For example, when archers declare they're firing into melee, it's helpful to know their willingness to hit allies. I assume people will forgo a shot rather than risk hitting an ally (moreso for flaming arrows, magic bolts, paralyzing magic, etc.), but they want to proceed nonetheless, they should say so.

Your point on mixing up battle lines is a good one. That's pretty much the problem here. It gets better as a group works together longer, but there's a time cost to keeping battle lines straight and sometimes the foes catch you by surprise and muddle things.

EDIT: I'm ready to post the next IC DM post, so if you want to roll for the save and edit your post accordingly, you can. Otherwise, I'll probably roll the save for you and move things along.

Gwendol
2013-10-09, 02:06 AM
That's ok, I'm still working on getting used to the character and the game. Being in the "wrong" timezone doesn't help either!

Roland St. Jude
2013-10-09, 12:25 PM
That's ok, I'm still working on getting used to the character and the game. Being in the "wrong" timezone doesn't help either!As someone who has played in some primarily European PbP games, I can sympathize.

Failing the save means the effect is centered on Athos, so he's not going to be able to move out of it. Making the save would have meant it wouldn't stick to him and he could have moved out of it.

Frivolous
2013-10-09, 12:38 PM
This feels like a car chase where I commandeered an enemy's vehicle and am now chasing after another enemy. Only with horses.

Hoping the priest isn't a good rider. :smallsmile:

Nevaera
2013-10-09, 03:24 PM
This feels like a car chase where I commandeered an enemy's vehicle and am now chasing after another enemy. Only with horses.

Hoping the priest isn't a good rider. :smallsmile:

Heheh, yeah, I was thinking, "Oh thank goodness for Brandon and his quick thinking. I thought they'd get away... Kinda bad*** chase scene now.

"I'll bet the priest is low on spells.

"Although, I hope he's not like the Hobgobbo mages in that he may have saved some wicked fireball/something to use yet."

Kish
2013-10-09, 03:49 PM
Well! That's more like it...I just realized I forgot to factor the Bless into the damage roll (though I remembered it for the attack roll), so that should be 7.

Gwendol
2013-10-09, 04:37 PM
My spellcasting has been crippled, so back to the sling...

Matthew
2013-10-10, 01:43 AM
Yet another swing and a miss from Nathros; good job the other characters are pulling more weight!

Koren n'Rhys
2013-10-10, 12:16 PM
Don't worry, Mycah's got him, and Bran can finish the bastard off.

Nevaera
2013-10-10, 04:28 PM
Liking the optimism. :smallsmile:

I don't know if Bran can catch up enough or not. Or if that guy's got more to say still either. >.<

My observations on our condition right now (for the sake of tactical decisions):

1 Fleeing caster on horseback (either mage or evil cleric is my guess - possibly hiding some kind of imortality based on the comment about us being mortals who should back off)

1 Living rider in combat with Nathros.

1 Sleeping or roused healthy snake inside Magical Darkness.

1 Crictically injured snake inside Magical Darkness.

---

Neela can try her magic still.

Ash doesn't know how long her curse is going to last, but it's negated all her training and the bonus from the magic in the sword. :smallfrown:

Brandon is alone against the caster.

Nathros has Mycah near by with Aditi, Alanna, Athos, and the hirelings aiding in attacks.

Penny is alert and keeping her distance, possibly with Aditi.
____

That's all I got for now.

Frivolous
2013-10-10, 11:16 PM
Roland, I hope to find out before I post IC: Can Bran attack this round with his newly acquired sword?

And does he need to make another Riding check or something to catch up?

Before I forget, embarrassing oversight: I should note that Bran can't grip the reins of the new horse with his right hand if he's holding his shield in it. :smallredface:

I suppose he can direct the horse with his legs. That's how trained riders do it anyway.

Roland St. Jude
2013-10-11, 01:16 AM
Roland, I hope to find out before I post IC: Can Bran attack this round with his newly acquired sword?

And does he need to make another Riding check or something to catch up?

Before I forget, embarrassing oversight: I should note that Bran can't grip the reins of the new horse with his right hand if he's holding his shield in it. :smallredface:

I suppose he can direct the horse with his legs. That's how trained riders do it anyway.You mean the round that you're posting now? Yes. You can ride to him and attack.

You have to make a Ride check whenever you attack from horseback and if you fail you can't attack (or your attack auto-fails, which has happened to the riders a couple times this combat already). If a player doesn't make it themselves, I just go ahead and make it. (Which is typical for most rolls.)

Gwendol
2013-10-11, 02:30 AM
Looks like I keep hogging the bad rolls...

Koren n'Rhys
2013-10-11, 07:51 AM
Not to sound whiny, but I thought it was pretty clear Mycah was taking that last bow shot at the priest before going to check Ash. Realistically, I doubt the damage would make a huge difference, but still...:smallannoyed:

Frivolous
2013-10-11, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the info, Roland.

I think Bran failed both the attack and the Riding check. Oh well. At least he caught up. :smallsmile:

Nevaera
2013-10-11, 09:08 AM
Not to sound whiny, but I thought it was pretty clear Mycah was taking that last bow shot at the priest before going to check Ash. Realistically, I doubt the damage would make a huge difference, but still...:smallannoyed:

I thought so too. Your IC words reflected that fine to me. Then I studied more closely and I think this was what caused the confusion in your spoiler:

If I can still attack after the move:

I still think Mycah fired the arrow before coming to Ash cause I think you meant a different "move".

He continues to close the distance while the priest voices his warning and, as he wheels his horse to flee, the scout launches a final arrow at his back.

This shows that Mycah was trying to attack in the same round that the priest began his retreat and rounds happen all within 6 seconds theoretically. Init. determined that the Priest began and pursued his action first, so he'd have a head-start. If Init. were rolled individually and Mycah happened to roll higher, Mycah would be able to "hold an action" to attack right as the rider was going past. (Does Mycah have a bonus to that sort of thing? I forget.) As it is though, we lost init, I believe, so he would just have to fire from his spot on the other side of the darkness then try to move to Ash after, I think.

That's my interpretation.

Frivolous
2013-10-11, 12:47 PM
I'm just glad Aditi is getting good rolls; 2 hits in a row, I think.

If Aditi's lucky streak continues, Bran may end up doing nothing more than distract the cleric while she turns him into a pincushion. :smallbiggrin:

Nevaera
2013-10-11, 04:51 PM
But for the ranged penalties. :smallwink:

Roland St. Jude
2013-10-11, 05:08 PM
@ Koren: Nevaera's sussed out how I read it. I took the first paragraph as description of last round, because by the time you're posting, some of the stuff in there has already happened, like the priest wheeling his horse around and such.

It never occurred to me that you'd expect to fire, move, and fire. I just assumed you had: 1) priority one move to Ash and 2) priority two attack, if able.

I can understand if you intended to attack and then move, but then where does the attack at the end in the spoiler come from?

Regardless, if you had attacked first, you wouldn't have made it all the way to Ash. It'd be a mess to retro that in now, so unless you feel very strongly about it, we'll leave it as is.

Nevaera
2013-10-11, 10:20 PM
What if he made it to Ash and all the stuff I posted happened on this round rather than the last?

Like, last round, Mycah fired and then ran a little ways.
Then this round Mycah made it to Ash, shared some angst, and fired at the last rider.

?

That's the only thing I can think of to help.

But I guess it might be best to leave it alone then, if this sort of thing doesn't seem like an easy fix.

---

Oh, ooh! Is a Curse permanent? Or are Curses temporary? I was scared to ask before, but it seems combat might end soon now - and I just can't hold back my curiosity much longer. :P

Koren n'Rhys
2013-10-12, 11:27 AM
No need to go back and try to change anything, it's not important and shouldn't make any difference.

Looking back, I can see how that comment in the spoiler caused most of the confusion - and that was my mistake since I had copy/pasted the spoiler block from a previous round. :smallredface:

For what it's worth, in 1 minute rounds (not 6 sec) here's how I saw it happening:
Round A: M full-moves around sphere, no line of sight so no arrow.
Round B: Moves and fires into priest's back & draws his attention.
Round C: Another arrow as priest rides off, then moves to Ash for angsty drama. :smallcool:
Round D: Wrap angst and fire arrow at remaining rider.

But it's really not a big deal and certainly not worth changing anything.

With that, I'm headed away for the rest of the weekend and won't be able to post until late Monday or Tuesday sometime. Thanks all!

Edit to add: I obviously don't know distances here, so made some assumptions there too, based on your comment about Mycah "running the entire distance to Ash's side".

Nevaera
2013-10-12, 05:28 PM
Ahh, rounds are 1 min. I was wondering if they were longer maybe than in 3rd. (haven't played 4th/5th)

Hmm, I believe it was mentioned that the sphere was 60' diameter (30' radius).

---

Happy Thanksgiving (/Columbus Day) everyone! ^_^

Roland St. Jude
2013-10-13, 10:18 AM
I'll get a new IC post up this afternoon/evening when I'm back at a real computer.

@Nevaera: Bestow Curse is permanent, though powerful magic can remove it.

Nevaera
2013-10-13, 11:48 PM
Aww, poo.

I'll have to see if we can get Mr. Snake Master ...
(why is it always snakes? Is it cause I had one taxidermed? :P)
... to fix me - if we can find a way to capture and threaten him.
My next best shot I'm thinking is Alanna - if we can get her leveled up enough.

Ah, but such is the life of a BECMI D&D character. >.<
All that hard won skill - plus a cool magical sword - nerfed.

Heheh, at least I still have wicked AC (when I'm not paralyzed). :smallbiggrin:

MeanMrsMustard
2013-10-14, 12:37 AM
Attack roll because I was a derp in the IC.
[roll0]

Matthew
2013-10-14, 12:53 AM
Oh crap. We really need to get some distance between ourselves and these snakes so we can take them out with missile attacks. Even though we do much better damage at close quarters, their ability to instantly kill with poison makes things crazy risky.

Roland St. Jude
2013-10-14, 01:05 AM
Oh crap. We really need to get some distance between ourselves and these snakes so we can take them out with missile attacks. Even though we do much better damage at close quarters, their ability to instantly kill with poison makes things crazy risky.And if they're anything like the first batch, they attack twice per round. Yikes.

Nevaera
2013-10-14, 09:43 AM
Ohhh, was THAT their trick. I didn't recall the mention of double attacks, but it did seem there were a lot of attacks at Ash in the beginning.

<--- (it's all starting to come together for her)

Oh, don't forget Neela, guys. She could cast sleep on the whole area of snakes before they slither away from the smaller area if you guys clear out quick enough. Yes Ash is in there, but she's useless but for the slight defenses of her armor anyways. Plus, who's to say the snakes will consider her a threat in the first place now? If they seek vibrations, she makes none.

Even risking just one comrade in the area of the sleep effect might be worth it (one of us could just kick them awake in the same round if they failed their save vs. spell).

Roland St. Jude
2013-10-14, 01:53 PM
Ohhh, was THAT their trick. I didn't recall the mention of double attacks, but it did seem there were a lot of attacks at Ash in the beginning.

<--- (it's all starting to come together for her)Yeah, that's what all those "twice in quick succession" and "bites draws back and bites again" bits were. :smallamused:

Oh, don't forget Neela, guys. She could cast sleep on the whole area of snakes before they slither away from the smaller area if you guys clear out quick enough.Neela already used her sleep spell on the initial batch of snakes. She's tapped out of combat spells and has one utility spell left, though I don't think she's discussed it with anyone.

Gwendol
2013-10-14, 02:31 PM
I will cast sleep when and if I can. Can Neela use the wand of paralysis? If so I know what my next action will be.

Frivolous
2013-10-14, 02:38 PM
Gwendol: Sorry, but you can't until the Silence wears off.

That's the whole point of putting Silence on a magic-user.

Kish
2013-10-14, 02:39 PM
Gwendol asked if Neela can use the Wand of Paralysis.

i.e., "Is Athos' next action going to be to bring or throw the wand to Neela."

Nevaera
2013-10-14, 03:31 PM
Yes, Neela can use the wand of paralysis - any arcane caster can.

I don't know why, but I thought Neela could cast more than one sleep spell (that was the plan, if she can cast 2 first level spells, anyways).

Kish
2013-10-15, 09:13 PM
My arrows clearly don't like no longer being aimed at the priest.

Roland St. Jude
2013-10-15, 11:19 PM
Obviously, your characters don't know, but just so that you don't have to ask every round:

Ash:
Hold Person lasts 9 turns (90 minutes)
Bestow Curse is permanent

Athos:
Silence 15' lasts 12 turns (120 minutes)

Aditi:
Cause Disease is permanent (until fatal over a matter of days to weeks)

Kish
2013-10-16, 05:04 AM
Aditi:
Cause Disease is permanent (until fatal over a matter of days to weeks)
Ah, that was the saving throw I failed.

Does she know anything more than that she felt momentarily ill, or nothing at all yet?

Roland St. Jude
2013-10-16, 11:25 AM
Ah, that was the saving throw I failed.

Does she know anything more than that she felt momentarily ill, or nothing at all yet?After the adrenaline of battle wears off, she will feel unusually weary and know that something is wrong. At this point, it's at a level that could be hidden from others and does not limit her at all.

The book describes the default disease as a wasting disease, so she'll grow thinner, tireder, paler, and perhaps weaker (though not necessarily mechanically) over the next few days. We'll work out the details after the battle.

Nevaera
2013-10-16, 04:28 PM
Yowzaz. That's no fun.
I hope priestesses have Cure Disease that they can pray for. :smallsmile:

Gwendol
2013-10-17, 11:53 AM
We have had a negative organizational change at work, sorry for being absent but I've had a ton of things to deal with. Should be getting back into normal soon enough.

Roland St. Jude
2013-10-17, 01:39 PM
Two quick notes:
1. I didn't forget to call for saves vs. Poison that last round, some of the snakes are non-poisonous.
2. I'll be traveling this weekend, so expect one post from me but probably not more. (Which iirc is our official policy anyway, to treat the weekend as one day).

Koren n'Rhys
2013-10-17, 02:44 PM
We have had a negative organizational change at work, sorry for being absent but I've had a ton of things to deal with. Should be getting back into normal soon enough.

My company has actually been bought out recently too. Going to be a positive in the long run though, I hope anyway. Hectic for me lately too with some training and getting settled into a new reality, but eventually I should actually be at my desk more and able to post consistently. (fingers crossed...)

Kish
2013-10-18, 11:21 AM
Status: Paralyzation by Hold Person (Duration: 80min or so)
Cursed: -4 to Attacks (Permanent) [/SPOILER]
I am so tempted to stick, "Status: Dying" at the bottom of all my spoiler boxes from now on. :smalltongue:

Nevaera
2013-10-18, 11:27 AM
1. I didn't forget to call for saves vs. Poison that last round, some of the snakes are non-poisonous.
Oh, thank goodness. I was worried some of our hirelings would be toast.
Who knew Murray had so many HP? :smalltongue:
I hope he lives through the poison and is treated in time.

Originally Posted by Nevaera
[SPOILER]Status: Paralyzation by Hold Person (Duration: 80min or so)
Cursed: -4 to Attacks (Permanent)[SPOILER]

I am so tempted to stick, "Status: Dying" at the bottom of all my spoiler boxes from now on.

Lol, yeah.
I was just looking into that. Sounds like you and I need Alanna to level up in a jiffy.
... more-so you than me. :smallwink:

Roland St. Jude
2013-10-18, 11:27 AM
My company has actually been bought out recently too. Going to be a positive in the long run though, I hope anyway. Hectic for me lately too with some training and getting settled into a new reality, but eventually I should actually be at my desk more and able to post consistently. (fingers crossed...)Well, good luck to both of you!

I am so tempted to stick, "Status: Dying" at the bottom of all my spoiler boxes from now on. :smalltongue:Aren't we all, though, really? /debbiedowner.

Frivolous
2013-10-19, 10:08 AM
My company has actually been bought out recently too. Going to be a positive in the long run though, I hope anyway. Hectic for me lately too with some training and getting settled into a new reality, but eventually I should actually be at my desk more and able to post consistently. (fingers crossed...)

Good luck to Koren and Gwendol in their jobs. I don't want anything bad to happen to you, especially so close to the holidays.

Matthew
2013-10-22, 08:50 AM
Why is Brandon attacking the snakes in close combat? I thought we were a good twenty feet back from them now.

Frivolous
2013-10-22, 10:35 AM
Why is Brandon attacking the snakes in close combat? I thought we were a good twenty feet back from them now.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. Bran is trying to finish off the snakes so they can't poison anyone else.

His AC is low enough that they have very little chance of hitting him, so he's making himself a target.

Does that answer the question?

Nevaera
2013-10-22, 06:53 PM
It's more sensible for it to be Brandon in Ash's absence. He's got the second lowest AC cause of his shield. And the snakes will advance if there's no one to intercept them.

If in doubt, torpedo Ash at them. Might dent them a little. :smallamused:

Matthew
2013-10-23, 04:40 AM
Are any of the snakes left poisonous? I figured we were retreating to hit them at range. Waste of Nathros to have him out of close combat, much better to be inflicting damage than relying on armour class to keep you clear.

Frivolous
2013-10-23, 12:18 PM
Are any of the snakes left poisonous? I figured we were retreating to hit them at range. Waste of Nathros to have him out of close combat, much better to be inflicting damage than relying on armour class to keep you clear.

No idea. Does anyone have a requisite nonweapon proficiency that might lead to identifying which snakes are poisonous?

Kish
2013-10-23, 12:24 PM
Short of sticking one of my hands in front of one of them and seeing if it kills me, no ophiology here.

Nevaera
2013-10-23, 12:54 PM
With meta-game knowledge regarding the second batch of snakes, the one who hit Murray is the only one that caused a poison save - twice.
They attack twice in a round. >.<

Gwendol
2013-10-24, 12:31 PM
Wohoo! One snake hit and stunned!

Kish
2013-10-25, 03:25 PM
Should the bead actually have worked on me? I'm certainly not going to complain if Cause Disease didn't render me immune to magical healing, but I thought Cause Disease rendered the victim immune to magical healing.

Nevaera
2013-10-25, 10:10 PM
Just vs. the disease, if I had to venture a guess. I think your HP would still come back fine. Anything caused by the disease would not be swayed by healing. Cure Disease would be needed for that.

This is based on my intuition, not proper research. The Rules Cyclopedia should have more detailed information.

Roland St. Jude
2013-10-26, 05:53 PM
Should the bead actually have worked on me? I'm certainly not going to complain if Cause Disease didn't render me immune to magical healing, but I thought Cause Disease rendered the victim immune to magical healing.You are correct. Immune to magical healing, natural healing is at 1/2 normal rate, and -2 to attack rolls. I forgot about that last one. We'll have to apply it going forward.

Kish
2013-10-26, 06:05 PM
In the plus column, the bead having had no effect on me should make my condition obvious.

Frivolous
2013-10-27, 03:30 AM
In the plus column, the bead having had no effect on me should make my condition obvious.

Yes. Short-circuits any possible discussion about going forward. We HAVE to return to Threshold now.

Nevaera
2013-10-28, 11:57 PM
Huh? Why's that?

We're really really far from Threshold and, what, 3 weeks from Verge? My memory is a little foggy on that - it was mentioned just before we encountered the snakes though.

If Alanna gets powerful enough (if we're given our experience on the road or something), then she'll be able to heal both Ash and Aditi. If she doesn't, Aditi might be dead before we return anywhere that could help us.

We are quite nerfed now though. I wonder what we might find if we tried to let Mycah and Aditi track the guy who got away? Perhaps they wouldn't expect us to press on - their spells would be diminished either way, right?

I dunno. Some stuff to think about.

Roland St. Jude
2013-10-29, 12:24 AM
She's clearly been afflicted with some magical disease, but the characters certainly don't know much more than that. Its severity, prognosis, etc., is all uncertain to the characters.

Whether they make a mad dash back to Verge or Threshold, press on in hopes of Alanna earning enough divine favor to be granted cure disease, or something else, is up to you all to work out in and out of character.

Matthew
2013-10-29, 02:07 AM
Yes, indeed. Lots of choices, I do not think we are dead set on one course of action. Might be that the cure is amongst the possessions of our enemies!

Nevaera
2013-10-29, 11:50 AM
That's right! I really think it's in our best interests to press on.

If we can capture the dark priest guy, we can try to coax him into fixing us! :D

We'd have to travel as soon as bandaging has been finished with. Mycah and Aditi, or just Mycah, can follow the tracks from the point where we last saw the priest.

He probably doesn't have any more snake bag tricks or even the magic left to activate them. He fled cause there was little to nothing that he could do still and he didn't think he could protect himself beyond what he had already done. He is probably seeking safety with allies, but I doubt Ederick is going to be with him as he's probably at the Immortal Spider site and working on that. Otherwise, he might have been here with the priest to help out.

I'll bet Ederick is over a day away and we can press on to find the dark priest tonight. The short term afflictions will be worn off and there are still a couple spells available to us, plus potions for emergencies and a wand of paralyzing too. We'll have the advantage.

That's what I think. Any takers? :smallwink:

Frivolous
2013-10-29, 12:04 PM
Roland, just to be sure and because my head hurts a bit, how many days' travel is it to Verge?

Koren n'Rhys
2013-10-29, 12:08 PM
I don't recall the mention of us being three weeks out of Verge already. If that really is the case, then there is no use turning back now. Anyone who is diseased won't make it that long - I think Alanna would be able to tell us that much. No, we need to press on and try to find a solution as we go.

I have a feeling you're right about the priest being out of magic, else he'd have stayed longer to try and finish us. Mycah should be able to track a horse with eth extra weight of a rider, I'd hope.

Roland St. Jude
2013-10-29, 01:59 PM
Roland, just to be sure and because my head hurts a bit, how many days' travel is it to Verge?Eight. Approximately. You're on your eighth day out of Verge with no delay due to weather or combat until now.

It took you six to seven days to get from Threshold to Verge.

Nevaera
2013-10-29, 07:34 PM
Oh, good. I'm glad. It seems I must have misread the information before. I was in a hurry, so I didn't have time to check first.
I've checked now and of course it is as Roland said, ~ a week from Verge and two weeks from Threshold altogether.

Awesome. Two solid votes to press on.

Frivolous
2013-10-30, 12:36 PM
Roland, may I ask if the dead men had any armor?

If so, the hirelings might be able to trade up. The best they have is chain mail, as I recall.

Roland St. Jude
2013-10-30, 07:46 PM
I'm going to err on the side of caution in moving things along. Let's say we're 10 minutes after combat by the time people are basically done tending wounds.

Though the characters don't know it, Ash still has about 70 minutes of paralyzation and Athos has 100 minutes of silence.

Also unbeknownst to the characters, the dome is continual darkness, so it's permanent.

Kish
2013-10-30, 07:47 PM
Which means that Aditi says her last line whenever she can catch Alanna outside of Athos' silencing radius.

Nevaera
2013-10-31, 07:04 PM
Alright guys, make some healing checks, tend to the horses, build a fire - whatever you have to do to make some time pass. I'm running out of internal monologues! :smallwink:

Happy Halloween! :smallbiggrin:

Roland St. Jude
2013-11-01, 01:34 AM
Happy haunts!

Indeed, let's have some action. I don't like to suggest options, lest this become a choose-your-own-adventure book, but do you want to move out immediately or wait for Ash and Athos' obvious problems to wear off.

Aditi's problem is more subtle, and if she doesn't reveal it, it's unlikely to be apparent to others.

Finally, waiting out the dark dome will result in a long wait.

But it matters for purposes of timing how long you stay here as well as where you go next.

Kish
2013-11-01, 06:22 AM
Actually, Aditi's still at 4/12 hit points. She'll reveal that she's not being healed as soon as she finds out someone's already tried to heal her.

Roland St. Jude
2013-11-05, 02:05 AM
Wait out Ash's condition or go now? Mycah and Nathros seem at odds. Let's have a swift player decision and get this game moving!

Gwendol
2013-11-05, 05:27 AM
Press on!

Also, I travelling this week and next which may impact my online presence. I should be able to post once a day.

Kish
2013-11-05, 07:22 AM
Go now. If we're going forward, giving the priest who just decimated* the party hours to get away would be disastrous; if we're going back, we have no reason to wait.

*Anyone who is thinking about making a joke about this not meaning what I think it means, please look it up in a dictionary first.

Nevaera
2013-11-05, 09:05 AM
I say we press on after the priest.

I don't think we should allow our party to overlap with his until our temporary disadvantages have worn off and a proper account has been taken of everyone's condition and remaining spells.

I suppose Ash could be put in the cart for now.
Everyone could also maybe be split into three groups along the trail with:
Mycah, Alanna, Bran/Nat, Neela at the front
Athos, Ash, and the horses in the middle with the Silence effect occurring a safe distance from the others
Brandon or Nathros at the back with the hirelings and Penny

Aditi could pick where she goes.

Also, maybe we need some actual heal-skill checks?

Koren n'Rhys
2013-11-05, 09:39 AM
Move on it is then - Mycah is a reasonable fellow and can be convinced.

I wonder if we should put Athos in the middle to take advantage of the silence radius to cover our travel while it lasts. We can hear outside noise while within the area of effect right?

Kish
2013-11-05, 09:42 AM
I'm not sure how the Healing skill works here. Can Aditi try to heal herself?

Roland St. Jude
2013-11-05, 12:21 PM
We can hear outside noise while within the area of effect right?Oddly, yes. Sound generated outside the radius can be heard even by those inside. So it's less like Silence 15' radius and more like No Sound Generation 15' radius. I think I might have to houserule that in the next BECMI game I run, because I think that's silly, but not problematic enough to change on the fly.

I'm not sure how the Healing skill works here. Can Aditi try to heal herself?Yes. If you have the Healing skill, you can roll (skill checks are roll under your relevant attribute) and, if successful, heal 1d3 hp. Not that on a natural 20, the healer inflicts 1d3 hp of wounds. This skill can only be used once per set of wounds, so it's often better to let the person who is best at it go around and heal everyone, time allowing.

I also ruled very early in this game that this skill could be used mid-combat. In case that ever comes up.

Finally, a heal check can be used to determine more about diseases.

Gwendol
2013-11-05, 12:49 PM
I have healing +1, whatever that means. Does it make me the designated healer?

Kish
2013-11-05, 12:54 PM
Guessing relevant attribute for Healing is Wisdom, so Aditi will not bandage herself.

If Alanna doesn't explain why Aditi's become immune to magical healing, Aditi will try to figure it out, but I doubt it'll come up.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-11-05, 01:16 PM
Oddly, yes. Sound generated outside the radius can be heard even by those inside. So it's less like Silence 15' radius and more like No Sound Generation 15' radius. I think I might have to houserule that in the next BECMI game I run, because I think that's silly, but not problematic enough to change on the fly.

Just for curiosity's sake - what was the spell he used, then? Not actually Silence, 15'r? Was it done via Command instead?

Roland St. Jude
2013-11-05, 03:37 PM
Guessing relevant attribute for Healing is Wisdom, so Aditi will not bandage herself.

If Alanna doesn't explain why Aditi's become immune to magical healing, Aditi will try to figure it out, but I doubt it'll come up.Actually, it's Intelligence.

Just for curiosity's sake - what was the spell he used, then? Not actually Silence, 15'r? Was it done via Command instead?No, the cleric definitely cast Silence 15' radius. I'm just saying that, having re-read the spell to confirm this little oddity, it certainly functions more like "no sounds generated in a 15' radius" than actually creating silence in that radius.

I'd prefer it did the latter, so in my next game, I'll probably houserule it to do that.

Frivolous
2013-11-05, 03:40 PM
Roland, can any of us figure out if the gems we found are really valuable, or do we need a nonweapon proficiency none of us have?

I'm asking because it may be we have the snake charmer's pay in our possession.

Roland St. Jude
2013-11-05, 04:45 PM
Roland, can any of us figure out if the gems we found are really valuable, or do we need a nonweapon proficiency none of us have?

I'm asking because it may be we have the snake charmer's pay in our possession.The rules suggest a Profession: Jeweler/Assessor or something of the like is needed. I'd also accept a background in the gem trade or the like. I don't think anyone has the experience to really say, though if your party dwarf wants to take things in a "dwarves love gems" direction and claim some history there, I'd allow it.

Otherwise, they're nicely cut and look attractive, but beyond that you can't really say.

Matthew
2013-11-06, 05:00 AM
I am happy whether we press on or not, but it looks like the ayes have it!

Nevaera
2013-11-06, 11:44 AM
Brandon Bor...
[COLOR="Blue"]"This is going to sound weird, but.... I'm thinking about hiring him."Ooh! Kind of like Mal hiring Jayne Cobb! :smallbiggrin:

How to roll the healing skill check:
Roll under your Intelligence score (after modifiers) and you have a success. Then, if you've succeeded, you can heal an automatic 2hp or opt. to roll with a chance of 3hp, though there's the risk of getting a 1.

The idea of using the silence spell's effect to obscure our noise as we ride is pretty good. I don't think it'll be active on us by the time we reach the priest, but it'd be cool if it were. (We could even use it against him! :D ) But we won't be able to hear each other at all, so that'd be a downside.

Good luck, guys! :smallsmile:

Gwendol
2013-11-06, 06:10 PM
Heal checks [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Nevaera
2013-11-06, 07:46 PM
Hmm, I think you are supposed to apply your bonuses to the DC (your Int score) and then try to roll Under that. Rolling high is good with fighting or saves, but Low is what you need for Skills.

Also, perhaps designate who you're healing with each roll (usually accompanying your rolls on the same post).

Sorry for not thinking to elaborate and be more clear on this stuff earlier. I was in a hurry to go pick up my daughter. >.<

Edit: By my calculations, the middle one would have failed, but the first two should have succeeded.

Roland St. Jude
2013-11-06, 08:17 PM
There are no bonuses to the roll. Having a high Int is its own reward because that's your roll DC. The only possible bonus (other than situational DM-adjudicated ones) is if you spend additional skill slots on an existing skill, you get a +1/additional slot.

Gwendol
2013-11-08, 10:49 AM
I have an extra rank in healing (+1 on my sheet).

Roland St. Jude
2013-11-08, 11:51 AM
I have an extra rank in healing (+1 on my sheet).Then you have 2 slots allocated to healing and get a +1 on your roll.

The DC is your Int (and it's roll under). I leave it to you to determine your successes, say who they're on, and choose an automatic 2 hp or roll 1d3.

Nevaera
2013-11-08, 03:47 PM
So he'd succeed if he rolls 14 or under then? (His DC would be 15 after the +1 to his 14 Int)

Roland St. Jude
2013-11-08, 03:59 PM
So he'd succeed if he rolls 14 or under then? (His DC would be 15 after the +1 to his 14 Int)
That is correct.

Frivolous
2013-11-08, 04:14 PM
Considering how many people, both PC and NPC, in the party are wounded, it would be nice if someone did a Heal check for them all.

If it would not take too much time, anyway.

Gwendol
2013-11-08, 06:02 PM
Yup, line'em up!

Frivolous
2013-11-08, 06:10 PM
Yup, line'em up!

If you don't mind, you could assign the first 3 rolls you did to whoever you wish, then continue rolling for whoever else is wounded.

Matthew
2013-11-08, 09:22 PM
If you really wanted to roll high, though, the math would be:

1d20 ≤ (Intelligence + 1)

1d20 + (Intelligence + 1) ≥ 21

Gwendol
2013-11-09, 02:49 AM
I meant, who is/isn't wounded? How many retainers?

Frivolous
2013-11-09, 06:06 AM
I meant, who is/isn't wounded? How many retainers?

Oh. Hmm...

It looks like all the 3 hirelings, Bret, Jermaine and Murray, are wounded.

Of the PCs, Bran, Nathros, Ashala and Aditi are wounded.

I think everyone else escaped damage.

Roland St. Jude
2013-11-10, 02:12 AM
Ash will have awoken and the silence will have worn off by the time of the encounter.

Gwendol
2013-11-10, 02:25 AM
Ok, so the first three rolls are for Aditi, Ash, and Bran.

Nathros heal: [roll0]

Bret heal: [roll1]

Jermaine heal: [roll2]

Murray heal: [roll3]

Gwendol
2013-11-10, 02:27 AM
So, Ash, Jermaine & Murray I didn't manage to help.

Gwendol
2013-11-11, 04:06 AM
Looks like I messed up the rolls again. I either should subtract 1 from the roll, or add 1 to the DC. In this case it didn't matter.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-11-11, 10:38 AM
Ok, Mycah will try to sneak off into the woods, but apparently with all the grace of a bull in a china shop. Yay.

Nevaera
2013-11-15, 12:08 PM
Roland, what's the terrain like around here? Is there anywhere we can get a good vantage point over the land and camp safely? Also keeping an eye out for caves to avoid (bears) and a place that's easy to defend if the snake people want to fight instead of making a reasonable agreement (for the meeting place tomorrow).

Also, how's our experience doing? Anyone going to get close to leveling after the last encounters?

Roland St. Jude
2013-11-15, 06:14 PM
The terrain is mostly wooded hills with an occasional open plain. The best one could do is camp on a hilltop. The snake camp is in a particularly wooded area. One could camp on a neighboring hill, but no excellent spy vantages exist.

I'll have to check on experience. I don't think anyone would be close if experience were doled out now.

Nevaera
2013-11-16, 06:33 AM
Alright, thanks for the update. ^_^

I think the party could camp a couple/few hills away and in a wooded area for the sake of some shelter in the trees from prying eyes. The casters and most injured should sleep as soon as possible, leaving the rest of the camp duties to those who fair better (like Ash). A hilltop between the two camps can be used as the meeting point (easier to spy the other guys from there).

She'll also recommend a heavier watch tonight - and for those who wear heavier armor and are up to it to try to be a part of watch. Spread out over the shifts - if Brandon or Nathros are not too injured, they'd be good choices.
Dwarves see better in the dark than humans, right? Or is that just in later editions?

Also, no fire tonight unless efforts are made to shield the fire's light from onlookers. Don't want to give away the position and hopefully the dark of night will help in hiding the party's tracks.

Ash intends to be on watch in the early morning (12-4am or so.)

Frivolous
2013-11-16, 08:11 AM
Bran only lost 4 points. He'll stand guard.

Nevaera
2013-11-16, 03:56 PM
Awesome. First watch or last?

Matthew
2013-11-16, 07:54 PM
Nathros can take the last watch.

Frivolous
2013-11-16, 11:24 PM
Awesome. First watch or last?

First, by preference.

Nevaera
2013-11-17, 12:30 AM
Sounds good guys. ^_^

Any tactical discussions you want to have in character before the rendezvous/fight tomorrow? (IC "tomorrow")

Koren n'Rhys
2013-11-17, 10:30 AM
Mycah is uninjured, and a non-caster, so he can take a middle of the night shift with interrupted rest.

Gwendol
2013-11-18, 02:47 AM
Rolls for arcane lore and alternate magic
[roll0] arcane roll
[roll1] alternate magic

Gwendol
2013-11-18, 03:25 AM
Just trying to figure out the strength of the priest, and if these bundles are fake or real. Also, preparing two castings of sleep and one web.

Nevaera
2013-11-18, 05:39 AM
A roll for Alertness to keep track of the threat (bear)
DC13: [roll0]

Gwendol
2013-11-18, 02:50 PM
FYI, web is a second level spell so I'll study it anyway. My other option would be protection from evil which I don't know will work here.

Nevaera
2013-11-18, 03:21 PM
I know web is second level though Ash hasn't the slightest understanding for the difficulty of the spell.

Is there a way to take a simple spell in the place of a more complicated one if one wishes to? (I've seen it done in 3rd, but I am unfamiliar with the magic methods in earlier editions.) Web is more useful when you can use it to crowd control in a confined area/space, like a cave.

Also, I believe Protection from Evil is a 1st level spell too.

Gwendol
2013-11-18, 03:36 PM
Not that I'm aware of, no. Web is the only 2nd level spell I know.

Roland St. Jude
2013-11-18, 04:47 PM
Athos has no first hand experience with such powers nor does he recall hearing that such powers lie ahead on his arcane path. But thinking more broadly about what magic can do, turning sticks into snakes strikes Athos as something a priest or maybe a wizard, especially one out here in the wilderness could do. It also seems reasonable that someone could put that power into a bunch of bundles of sticks or a single device that casts the spell over and over. The wand of paralysis he carries does just that. Thinking of legends and myths, it seems like someone who focused on that calling of snakes could well have other powers that are similar, such as commanding actual snakes or enchanting the trees to constrict people.

Nevaera
2013-11-18, 10:58 PM
Not that I'm aware of, no. Web is the only 2nd level spell I know.

Then I understand that there's really no other option, and Web IS a really good spell if it can be utilized well.

Roland - a first level spell cannot be used in the place of a second level spell slot, can it?

Roland St. Jude
2013-11-18, 11:57 PM
...Roland - a first level spell cannot be used in the place of a second level spell slot, can it?Not that I'm aware of, no. :smallamused:

Kish
2013-11-19, 06:40 AM
Not until 3ed.

Nevaera
2013-11-19, 09:43 AM
Alright, thanks. ^_^

Koren n'Rhys
2013-11-26, 11:05 AM
The party arranges itself roughly according to Ash's directions. The message can be delivered by arrow and is discovered by the sentry. There is movement within the came and they begin to saddle up.

Can Mycah estimate how many he saw as they got organized?

Roland St. Jude
2013-11-26, 01:41 PM
Mycah recalls about a half-dozen horses, and the movement of men on the ground seems consistent with that. The camp could probably house twenty total, in the manner he's familiar with from his lumbercamp days.

Nevaera
2013-11-29, 09:36 AM
Umm, perception roll to notice acts of deceit or subtleties among the serpent group that's come.
Alertness DC13: [roll0]

Frivolous
2013-12-01, 03:31 AM
Roland: I can't be sure, but can you remind us if the snake charmer in the 1st battle had his face uncovered when the party fought him?

Also, a few of us got a good close look at him, or heard him talk or cast. Even if we didn't see his face, what about his eyes or his voice?

Is there any roll we can make to ensure recall, or something?

Roland St. Jude
2013-12-01, 02:53 PM
He appears and sounds just as before, though now you have a little more time to regard him.

Nevaera
2013-12-03, 09:20 PM
Also, have you, Frivolous and M.M.M, updated the electrum pieces on your character sheets?
I have not yet been informed if you have.

That money will remain in limbo if you don't write it down and it will be lost cause "Ash gave it to you or stowed it for safe keeping in the bag of holding". :smallwink:

Roland St. Jude
2013-12-05, 10:11 AM
I assume you misremembered your offer and that you aren't trying to stiff him. (120 pp = 1200 ep).

ASH
..."We've twenty platinum coins for you and each of the men which I offered already and we've some gems which would be payment for the priest in exchange for the spells we require. The priest will know which spells we want. We've also come across a map that may lead to treasure, though I cannot guarantee that for sure."

But you should confirm with me so that I can have him react accordingly. :smallsmile:

Nevaera
2013-12-05, 07:22 PM
Oh my gosh, yeah.
I always mix up electrum in this edition with the way I think electrum works in 3rd (1g=2e).
Sorry! I didn't bother to look it up this time like I think I did before.

>.<

I know I promised 20 electrum a piece though, not platinum. Right?

---

I just re-read his words upon his first approach and I didn't notice he said platinum at that time.

I'll check my older post and see if I said Electrum as I had intended. I really meant electrum this whole time! >.<

---

OH NO!!!!

I said Platinum!!! Man! This is Terrible!!! I don't have platinum!!

This is the biggest most important mistake ever!

I'm so sorry. I don't suppose we could over look that particular mistake as I've been saying electrum ever since and I really had no intention of typing the wrong word? (they sound the same in my head)

Nevaera
2013-12-05, 07:26 PM
Too bad no one noticed or bothered to point this mistake out earlier.

Roland St. Jude
2013-12-05, 09:40 PM
For the sake of completeness, you said it twice in the initial offer:
..."Perhaps some small wealth we might share between the rest of you for your aid and cooperation? Say, twenty platinum each?"

..."We've twenty platinum coins for you and each of the men which I offered already and we've some gems which would be payment for the priest in exchange for the spells we require. The priest will know which spells we want....
Then, he arrived and accepted it...

..."You proposed a bargain. I accept. Bring forth the twenty platinum for each of my dozen men, and I will remove your curse. Have your priestess bring forth the gems removed from my foolhardy former employer and I will remove her very painful and lethal disease.
Then, you repeat it back to him...

ASH
"From their perspective, it'd be far too easy to be double crossed by you should I reveal the location of the gems and platinum before being repaired....
The first mention of electrum is when Ash goes to retrieve it.

ASH
After their end of the bargain is complete, she will not hesitate to retrieve the gems and coins. She doesn't have more than three hundred electrum stowed in the same coin sack as the gems - the party's supplies would still be in the bag of holding.
Unless your fellow players independently thought that was too high a price, I'm not sure why anyone would have questioned it before then.

It might not be what you intended, but the amount you intended wouldn't have gotten the results you got. :smallsmile: So if it was a mistake, it was a fortuitous one.

Nevaera
2013-12-05, 11:08 PM
Wow, that's pretty bad. I can't believe I did that so many times.

That is the sort of mistake I tend to make though - one of those words I tend to make a malapropism or something out of.

Well, I don't have platinum. The party is currently indebted to me and all I had to offer was some of the electrum I was trying to pay Ash back with - that's what I was bartering with.

---

I'm very sorry everyone for my mistake. I truly intended to only offer ten gold value to each of the men - though I suppose I could have offered a little more had they pushed the negotiations further (they may have just declined the offer though and not fixed Aditi or I). *shrugs*

I suppose it is fortuitous, though it takes away Ash's credibility. She's lawful, so I shouldn't have her do this intentionally.

It is nice that the spells have been removed from Aditi and Ash and the dark priest is down two spells he could have used against us now.

And Alanna might be able to silence him before he hurts Aditi.

I could hand over a large sum of electrum with a few gold mixed in on the top so that it looks too bothersome to count. It'd come out of the bag of holding on her horse. I would apologize for taking more time to count once Ash realized her mistake.

---

So what do you say guys?

A. Do you want a fight?
or
B. Do you want me to hand over all the electrum pieces everyone just got from the wyvern fight and then some?
or
C. I try to bluff the sum and then we probably fight.
(Our hirelings and priestess could die and any of us could die. If I die, I guess I'd try a caster next, maybe. Alanna could perhaps have my armor and step up to the plate if she wanted.)

I'll try to act resolutely no matter what the outcome you guys choose.

Roland St. Jude
2013-12-05, 11:23 PM
I recommend B. The party as a whole certainly has more than enough to pay. Alanna alone has 2308 gp (400+ pp). Neela alone could front the platinum. Others have considerable wealth left in Threshold to cover their shares.

I recommend that we assume the party borrowed from Neela for the time being and put it in the sack now being held by the priest. I'll wait 24 hours for any objection to that before posting the priest's next action.

Nevaera
2013-12-05, 11:52 PM
Ooh, that sounds quite reasonable.
I second that one.

I had no idea there was so much wealth about.
I know Ash should have a fair bit, technically (I've kept track and she should have over 1600g total (including the money she lent to the party to cover food and things).

Plus, I'm sure the party would find more wealth than that at the spider temple or during random encounters. We could even check the troll cave on our trip back if we think we can take it on still.
Last time we mostly didn't want to weaken our forces before the spider temple I think.
With any luck, the other group will have followed the map to see if they can find even more treasure and hopefully they'll fail against the troll and whatever else might be within (though the dark priest should tip the scale considerably - along with the snake bundles).

Nevaera
2013-12-06, 12:05 AM
(120 pp = 1200 ep).

Oh, right. That's not so bad, actually.

120pp = 1200ep = 600gp ?
We can totally do that.

I really am awful when you bring platinum and electrum into the mix. I went over the money so many times before I was satisfied that I'd done it right and I could divvy it out to everyone.
I'm not bad at math, but math problems (translating them) takes me a long time cause I have to recheck.

Anyone that's more confident and skilled at it want to give it a go as Treasurer?

Edit: Derp. So x2 = 1200gp 'cause I said 20pp each, not 10pp.

Frivolous
2013-12-07, 01:23 PM
Nevaera: Alanna tried to cure Aditi twice using magical healing. Once using Cure Light Wounds and once using the gem. Both times nothing happened.

If she is still diseased, another cure spell won't work.