PDA

View Full Version : Old Ways OOC III

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Roland St. Jude
2010-09-12, 04:37 PM
This is the OoC thread for Old Ways, a BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia game. In the interest of clarity and in case we have some newer PbP players, I'll give the basic PbP and game-specific guidelines.

Less than a generation ago, Duke Stefan Karameikos traded his ancestral Thyatian lands for this vast expanse of untamed but resource rich territory. While the new Duchy of Karameikos has been quite prosperous, the land is only nominally under the Duke's control. Pockets of native Traladarians continue to live on their ancestral homelands within the Duchy, but that is the least of the Duke's problems. The dark forests and rolling hills hide bands of hostile humanoids, monsters of legend, and unknown secrets. Recent expeditions have uncovered ancient ruins and considerable subterranean activity. Still, much is unknown about this land. In thirty short years, it has become one of the great nations of the world, and it pays only token fealty to the Empire. ~Athan Chiron, Thyatian Imperial Historian, on the Duchy of Karameikos

"The Thyatians are a decent enough folk, but they fail to respect our traditions or our lands. They rush headlong into perils they do not understand, but who are we to stop them. They've not sought our counsel, nor would they respect it, I suppose. ~Ceroth Caelon, Former Traladarian Clan Elder

"Karameikos? Who would go to Karameikos? That's like I saying, 'I'm going to wander into the wilderness for no good reason.' There's nothing there – no comfort, no big cities, no luxury, no good food nor wine. Just humanoids, superstitious natives, and stupid Thyatian soldiers." ~Dmitri Alzenkov, Glantrian nobleman

"No where else in the Known World is there such opportunity as Karameikos. No where else are there such good and industrious folk. An entire nation of builders, workers, and adventurers. Even our nobles are hard-working and self-made. There's opportunity here for all who want it and wealth as far as the eye can see. Even the secrets of this land hold hidden treasure." ~Lord Bost, Threshold
--------------------------------------------
Recruitment Information - Read this if you want to play. It's important.

I am DMing a BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia game elsewhere and it's going very well. We've managed to capture some of that old-school feel. I'd like to run one here. Players should have either the BECMI texts or the Rules Cyclopedia.

Some aspects of play that I think are important to providing that feel are:

characters start at first level;
characters start young, relatively ignorant about the larger world, and not terribly genre-savvy;
tactical combat is achieved through roleplay not rules
far more is left to DM judgment than in later editions (things like WBL, settlement GP limit, etc.)
players should not expect that the universe operates by RAW. RAW is a guideline by which the game progresses, the DM may fudge, cheat, ignore, or abrogate it at will, though obviously a good DM does so for the greater good;
potentially high lethality for characters;
characters will grow powerful through increasing genre-savvyness and roleplay far more than through rules-mastery;
fast-paced, consistent posting, and,
ultimately, I hope, a stable, steady gaming group.

I hope to get together a group of players interested in a game under these conditions and we'll see what happens. My goal is to create the kind of narrative where characters (and the universe they know) start very small but grow in depth as well as power.

Requirements for Players:
1. Must post 1/day minimum
2. An interest in and willingness to play under the conditions noted above and the rules detailed below.
3. Solid writing ability
4. Good roleplaying ability or an earnest desire to develop such an ability
5. A desire to have fun and make things fun for everyone else.

The classic 16 questions pioneered by Bernard Pivot:

1. What game are you running (D&D, CoC, Palladium, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia D&D. Familiarity with the setting is not important.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be? When and where will the game be set? The game will be set in a homebrew variant of the Known World, starting in the town of Threshold in the Grand Duchy of Karameikos and expanding outward.

3. How many Players are you looking for? 4-6 but given the likelihood players not keeping up with the fast and strict posting schedule, I will keep a list of alternates. It is my hope to settle on 4-6 players who like the game, can meet the schedule, and are willing to play through any character mortality.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? GitP.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? Characters start at Level 1 with zero experience points. Characters roll a d100 for Family Social Status/Wealth.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? 3d6x10 gp

7. Are there any particular character classes, etc, are permitted? The Basic Classes are permitted as is Mystic.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Humans are permitted and may be Traladarian or Thytian. Elf, Dwarf, and Halfling are permitted race/classes.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? By the book. 3d6 six times. They fall in this order: Str, Int, Wis, Dex, Con, Cha. Re-roll is allowed when you have two Ability Score rolls under 6.

Points may be moved from one score to another with these conditions:
1. The prime requisite goes up 1 point for each 2 points that another ability score goes down. If a character has two prime requisites, both can be raised (the cost must be paid separately for each point to each prime req.)
2. Constitution and Charisma points cannot be raised or lowered.
3. Dexterity cannot be lowered (but it may be raised for a thief or halfling character).
4. No score can be lowered below 9. If it is already 10 or less, it cannot be lowered.

Take heed of the Prime Requisites and Minimum Ability Scores.

Players are advised to roll first and select a class second.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? Yes. Characters must be Lawful or Neutral. Characters must be loyal to the party/fellow PCs. Intra-party conflict should be kept to a minimum. Personality conflicts and differences of opinion are expected and dramatically useful. Thieving from the party, opposing its goals, and attacking one another are not useful. Hogging the spotlight and melodrama are likewise not helpful

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? No and no.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? Character creation rolls should be made in this thread. Players' die rolls during play will be done by players in the IC thread (under a spoiler tag). Players who would prefer to let the DM roll or who are uncertain whether to roll can state their bonuses in the spoiler and the DM will roll. DM rolls, including secret rolls for the PCs, will be done by the DM out of sight of players. Obviously, Players should never alter dice rolls, cheat on modifiers, etc. Old school justice for such violations will be meted out.

13. Are there any homebrewed rules or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? We will use the following optional rules:

Weapon Mastery
Skills
Non-Lethal Combat
Group Initiative
Keeping Characters Alive (modified) (0 hp = unconscious; Character must make save vs. Death Ray at the end of the round, any time more damage is taken, and then at the end of each subsequent turn (10 minutes); Failure = death).

House Rules/Interpretations Added During Play:

Natural Healing is 2 hp/day
A character may use a Healing Skill check on a character dropped below zero hp in an attempt to bring them up to above zero hp. If successful, the injured character does not fall unconscious and does not need to make a Save vs. Death Ray.
Firing into melee is resolved this way. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15652584&postcount=135)
Natural 20 die roll on attacks usually equal max damage.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with
the characters in the same city)? A written character background demonstrates writing quality, use of the PbP format, sense of old school tone, and some investment. I don't need a novel. A short biography and/or a couple vignettes of the character are helpful. Of course, more details and characterization will come out in play.

All characters must be young locals of Threshold or recent immigrants to the city. One conceit of this game is that the characters are relatively unworldly and inexperienced, please work with that. All characters must have some positive relationship (though it need not be family or close friendship) with at least two other characters. You can work out this detail after being selected. If you want to all be part of an already existing (though new) adventuring company, that's fine, too.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack&slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? I have high expectations for roleplaying, even during combat, and XP will be awarded for what I regard as useful characterization and helpful interaction with others. I expect a significant amount of combat. It is my intention to run combat without map, handling things by description, and being a bit loose about the tactical details. Some adventures might present puzzles in their design or there may be puzzles in the plot, but explicit puzzles will probably be relatively few.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? Yes. Use the Rules Cyclopedia, if you have it, otherwise use the Mentzer Basic book to make your character. Older B/X books or the Dark Dungeons retro-clone might also be useful alternatives, though I'll be running things by the RC/BECMI.

Plus,
17. What is the expected pace of this game? Players are required to post 1/day minimum. From the time of my DM post, players have 24 hours to post their next action. Failure to do so will result in a DM selected (in)action for the character. Time away with warning is understandable, but failure to post timely on a repeated basis will result in removal from the game - possibly in a lethal manner for the character.

I welcome additional questions and look forward to putting a group together.

EDIT:
Active character list:
Frivolous - Brandon Bor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15257668&postcount=3) - Fighter
Matthew -Nathros (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15257669&postcount=4) - Dwarf
Nevaera - Ashala Bost (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15257670&postcount=5) - Fighter
Koren n'Rhys - Mycah Deshiel (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15257671&postcount=6) - Thief
Kish - Aditi (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15257673&postcount=8) - Thief
Gwendol - Athos the frail (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15924909&postcount=254) -Magic User

PCs on hiatus
Lyceios - Stefan Reinhardt (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12836001#post12836001) - Cleric

Former PCs
MeanMrsMustard - Alanna Nightengale (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15257672&postcount=7) - Cleric
Battlemage - Dural Arkenvir (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15349397&postcount=43) - Magic User
Tsunamiatunzen1 - Artanis Tu'el Tassadar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14100852) - Elf
thirdkingdom -
Algernon "Algie" Blackthorn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14660387) - Magic User
Altair the Vexed - Alastor Talsarios (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14100848) - Magic User
jmbrown - Jeanne By The River (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9400643&postcount=3) - Elf
Stengir - Gregaros - Thief
TruorTupnm - Sid "The Sneak" Aimes - Thief
strangefate - Orthon Zinthalos - Magic User
sbwilson - Petrillia - Magic User
Rebel Rogue - Stefan - Cleric

Roland St. Jude
2010-09-14, 11:28 AM
Format for IC Posts:

Character Name

"Character speech, often further differentiated by being colored text, preferably a color different from those of other characters in the game," the characters other actions are written as part of the paragraph, as if in a novel. Character thoughts are written in the same character color and italicized.

For telepathic communication, put wavy brackets around the though {Can you hear me now?}

I encourage you to include in your IC post:
1. character actions, typically in the third-person and present past tense. Try to phrase things in terms of what your character does but not the result (so, "Rath charged the shambling undead drawing his blade as he moved and unleashed his full fury on the abomination," but not "Rath charged the shambling undead drawing his blade as he moved and sliced into the abomination." Leave room for potential failure in your description. Likewise when describing an action with variable success (when casting cure light wounds you can infuse an ally with healing power, but you shouldn't describe that as fully healing the ally).
2. Character comments (things actually said aloud)
3. Character thoughts (these are the explicit verbatim thoughts of the character)
4. Narrative that fleshes out the character intentions, motivations, background experiences, etc. These are the things that make for a good story and good explanation of the characters. The best PbP games that I've played have had a goodly amount of this kind of narrative.

Separating by paragraphs at conversation breaks or at logical action breaks is a good idea.

Put the mechanics behind your actions in a spoiler labeled OOC:

HP: 3 AC: 6 Spells in effect: Invisibility

After the status bar above, explain your action in game terms with appropriate rolls etc. Use the forum roller. You may explain and roll for alternate actions, if it seems helpful. 1d20+2

If you leave out a roll that I determine you'll need, I'll refer to your character sheet and make the appropriate roll myself. Keep your character sheet up-to-date at all times, as I'll be referring to it for things related to your character.

If you have skills or background that are relevant to something you're trying to do, post that in the Spoiler box and I'll take it into account.

Rolling Rules

For most actions that require rolls, you'll do so yourself in the IC thread under your Spoiler tab. If you forget a roll or need to confirm a critical, you can do that in the OOC thread. You should also roll your character creation rolls here in the OOC thread.

I will make all NPC rolls out of sight and simply announce results in the IC thread in narrative form.

I will make certain secret PC rolls out of sight (such as whether you hear something).

I will probably make initiative checks and saving throws for PCs to keep things moving.

Obviously, do not attempt to edit rolls once made or otherwise cheat on rolls.

Frivolous
2010-09-18, 03:51 PM
Brandon Bor
Lawful Thyatian Male Fighter
Level 5, XP 16,881
Speech Color: Blue

Description: A short but stocky broad-faced farm boy with seal-brown hair, blue eyes, and big capable hands. He often has a dreamy expression on his face and colored ink on his fingers. Height is 5 feet 7 inches and weight is 170 pounds. He has to shave every couple of days to control his whiskers.

By the time he reaches 3rd level, Brandon looks comfortable in plate mail. He is used to spending much of the day and fighting for his life in the heavy armor.
Strength 14
Intelligence 9
Wisdom 13
Dexterity 10
Constitution 11
Charisma 14

Hit Points: 23 (up from 16 at 4th level)
Armor Class: 3 (-1 with shield)
Base Thac0: 17
Movement: 60' / 20' / 60'

Weapons:
Short Bow: Thac0 17; Damage 1d6; Range 50/100/150
Sword: Thac0 16; Damage 1d8+1
Hand Axe: Thac0 16; Damage 1d6+1 ; Range 10/20/30
Dagger +1: Thac0 15; Damage 1d4+2; Range 10/20/30
Oil Flask: Thac0 17; Damage 1d8; Range 10/20/30

Saving Throws:
Death Ray/Poison 10, Magic Wands 11, Paralysis/Petrification 12, Breath Weapon 13, Spells 14.

Weapon Mastery: Short Bow, Hand Axe, Dagger, Sword
Skills: Art (Drawing and Painting), Muscle, Profession (Farmer), Riding
Languages: Common, Lawful

Possessions:

Money:
Platinum:
Gold: 873 as of 05/03/2013. 13 is on Bran's person. 860 of that is kept at the Bor manor.
Electrum: 100
Silver:
Copper:
Other: Fanged metal amulet (healing potion was used on Artanis)
Encumbrance: 780

Equipment:
Enormous warhorse, so far unnamed (worth 350 gp)

Plate Mail, 60 gp, 500 cn
Shield of Courage +3 (immune to fear effects)(borrowed from Natalya Bor), 100 cn
Short Bow plus Quivers with 30 arrows,25 gp + 5 gp + 20 gp, 30 cn (bought new arrows after reaching 3rd level)
Quiver with 10 silver-tipped arrows (50 gp, bought after reaching 3rd level)
Sword, 10 gp, 60 cn
Dagger, 3 gp, 10 cn
Silver Dagger 30 gp, 10 cn (bought after reaching 3rd level)
Dagger+1 (as of 06/01/2013)

Miscellaneous equipment: 80 cn

7 Flasks of Oil (bought 5 more flasks after reaching 3rd level)

Waterskin, 1 gp
Backpack, 5 gp
Large sack, 2 gp
Rope 50 feet, 1 gp
Flint and steel, 3 gp
Garlic, 5 gp
Wolfsbane (1 bunch), 10 gp

Iron Rations - 2 weeks, 30 gp (bought more rations after reaching 3rd level)
1 quart of wine, 1 gp
12 torches, 2 gp (bought more after reaching 3rd level)

3 doses each of herbs for treating poison or disease and to bring calm.
Tapestry of black dragon, trolls and giants woven by Blazzan and that once belonged to Thyatian noble Arcturo Lucius Nicosian.

Background: Family Social Status: 81
Brandon is the second to the last child of the wealthy farmer Boris Bor. His mother is Natalya Bor, once a fighter before she retired to marry Boris. His family all worked hard on the farm. Even as a small boy, Brandon did chores. He did heavier work as he grew older and filled out, becoming the burly young man he is today.

Seeing as he has three elder brothers and four sisters, he did not expect to inherit much in the way of wealth. Thus, he practiced his weapon skills in hopes of becoming an adventurer and becoming a Lord.

Brandon was going to set off on his own wearing only chain mail, but his father gave him a suit of plate mail as a going away present.

Brandon practices art as a hobby. He is not very good at it, but his family still sees fit to display some of his paintings in their manor.

Matthew
2010-09-20, 05:20 PM
Name: Nathros

Race: Dwarf

Alignment: Lawful

Description:

Nathros is young, of tan complexion, blue eyed and auburn haired. Like most of his kindred, he has a thick beard and wears his hair long, is strong of arm and steadfast of will, but unlike them he is unusually tall, as well as agile and quick, even for a youth. A somewhat difficult life and inherently introverted demeanour has made him socially awkward, often quiet, but prone to fits of anger if he feels himself slighted or overlooked.

History:

Coming from a numerous but poor clan, Nathros was denied the opportunity to join the priesthood, a vocation to which others thought him naturally well suited, and was seemingly destined for a rather unremarkable life. His days spent alone roaming the hills and mountains did Nathros little good, and his subsequent attempt to find purpose in service as a temple soldier did not bring him the peace of mind he desired. Eventually, he determined to see more of the world for himself, and to that end took ship for Karameikos, hoping to serve there as a mercenary or perhaps find more lucrative ventures that would stir his spirit and provide him with a clear sense of his worth, purpose, and place in the world.

Speech: Green

Level: Four

Experience: 15,597(16,376.85)

Attributes:

Strength 14 (+1)
Dexterity 14 (+1)
Constitution 9 (+0)
Intelligence 9 (+0)
Wisdom 15 (+1)
Charisma 8 (−1)

Saving Throws:

Death Ray/Poison 6
Magic Wands 7
Paralysis/Petrification 8
Breath Weapon 10
Spells 9

Hit Points: 14

Armour Class: 3(1)

THAC0: 17(16)

Movement Speed: 60(20)

Weapons:

Short Bow: THAC0 17(16); Damage 1d6+1 (50/100/150)
Pole Axe +3: THAC0 17(13); Damage 1d10+4
Spear: THAC0 17(16); Damage 1d6+1 (20/40/60)
Hand Axe: THAC0 17(16); Damage 1d6+1 (10/20/30)
Short Sword: THAC0 17(16); Damage 1d6+1
Dagger +1: THAC0 17(15); Damage 1d4+2 (10/20/30)

Weapon Choices: As Dwarf.

Skills: Stealth (Hills and Mountains 70%), Nature Lore (Hills and Mountains 45%), Survival (Hills and Mountains 45%), and Tracking (45%).

Languages: Common, Lawful, Dwarf, Gnome, Goblin, and Kobold.

Abilities: Lance Charge, Set Spear, Infravision (60'), and Detection.

Family Social Status: Struggling.

Possessions:

Plain Clothes, 5 SP, 20 CN
Plain Belts, 4 SP, 10 CN
Belt Pouch, 5 SP, 2 CN
Plain Boots, 1 GP, 10 CN
Long Cloak, 1 GP, 15 CN
Coins: 2 GP, 6 SP

Pole Axe +3, 120 GP, CN
Shield, 10 GP, 100 CN
Short Sword, 7 GP, 30 CN
Hand Axe, 4 GP, 30 CN
Dagger +1, ? GP, 10 CN
Plated Mail Armour, 60 GP, 500 CN
Encumbrance: 790 CN

Back Pack, 5 GP, 20 CN (Capacity 400 CN)
Seven Days Standard Rations, 5 GP, 200 CN
Water Skin, 1 GP, 30 CN
Encumbrance: 250 CN (270 w/clothes)

Potion of Strength/Heroism

Encumbrance: 8 + 790 + 270 = 1,068

+ 50 GP
+ Shield (10 GP)
+ 50 GP
+ Plated Mail Armour (60 GP)
+ 50 GP

On Wagon

Short Bow
Twenty-Four Arrows
Spear, 3 GP, 30 CN
47 GP
100 EP
6 CP

Stored

Mail Armour, 40 GP, 400 CN
Dagger, 3 GP, 10 CN

Nevaera
2011-11-11, 02:19 PM
Ashala Bost
Female Human
Alignment: Lawful
Appearance: 5'6", 127lbs, 18 years old (soon to be 19), Light Olive Skin, Dark Green Eyes, Bobcut (longer at front) Light Brown Hair (Golden Bronze / Dark Golden Blonde).
Level 5: 16328 XP
Speech Color: Olive

Hit Points: 18/26 (3+1, 6+1, 4+1, 2+1, 6+1 = 26)
Armor Class: -1[-4] (+3 Plate Mail + Dex. Mod. [+ Shield +2 vs. 1st Att./Rnd. from Skilled in Sword])
Base Thac0: 17
Movement: 90'/30'/90' (With weapons, armor, and Bag of Holding)
Encumbrance: under 700 cn

Stats:
Strength 11
Intelligence 10
Wisdom 9
Dexterity 13 (Mod. +1)
Constitution 14 (Mod. +1)
Charisma 11

Saving Throws:
Death Ray/Poison: 10,
Magic Wands: 11,
Paralysis/Turn to Stone: 12,
Breath Attack: 13,
Rod/Staff/Spell: 14.

Weapons:
Short Bow: Thac0 15; Damage 1d6; Range 50/100/150
Magic Sword "Trollbane": Thac0 13; Damage 1d12 [From being Skilled and wielding a magic sword]
Spear: Thac0 16 [15 if thrown?]; Damage 1d6; Range 20/40/60
Burning Oil: Thac0 16; Damage 1d8; Range 10/30/50
Magic Dagger: Thac0 17?; Damage 1d4+1?; Range 10/30/50?

Weapon Choices:
Bow (short), Sword (normal), Spear, Lance.

Enhanced Weapon Skill:
Sword (normal).Deflect(1) means that in addition to your normal attack(s) each round, you can attempt to deflect one melee or thrown weapon attack each round by making a Save vs. Death Ray.

Disarm is a special attack you can do (instead of your normal attack). You roll for your attack as normal, if you are successful, you force a Dexterity check by the opponent, which if failed means he's disarmed.
Skill Choices:
Acrobatics 13, Alertness 13, Riding (Horse) 13, Healing 10.

(Starting Gold: 130g, Reward Gold: 100g, Loot Gold: 231g - 25g at temple, - 250g for Training, + 1293g from Fangs' Ship, - 45g for armor for hirelings, -277g for Warhorse, + 600g for hobgoblin mission.)

Equipment:
"Trollbane" longsword [Magical +2, w/ +3 vs. regenerating creatures](60cn)
Spear (30cn) 3gp
Short Bow (20cn) 25gp
10 arrows (5cn) 5gp
Old Magic Dagger (tucked into armored boot)
Shield, 1 bonus to AC (100cn) 10gp
Plate Mail, 7 bonus to AC (500cn) 60gp [I think it was Jemaine who now wears this]
Plate Mail (+3 Comfort), 10 bonus to AC (500cn)
Warhorse w/ Saddle + Tack and Saddlebags (**) 277g

BAG of HOLDING:Undistributed Treasure
(U) = Unidentified Effect

Coins: 100e (50g) + 20g(paralyzed crater orc)[1297 -18 for horse rental, - 25 for Merlinda, -320 reward to hired help, + 2405gp from loot sales, -3000* to pay party = 339 - 795 + 2000e that's been divided (paid 250g to Ash, 400g to eight main party members, 360e(180g) for draft horses and cart, 240e(120g) to Penny and hirelings, 100e(50g) left). Party still owes Ash 206g. Party owes Neela 240pp=1200g.]

Unorganized:
He (gnoll leader, first dark cave @ "temple") has a Sash with Gold Buckle, a large sack at his waist with 100 gold pieces, a ruby, a diamond, a potion engraved with the Traladaran symbol for "forever," and a dozen arrows bound with a leather cord.

Weapons:

Armor:

Jewelry:
gold ring with a large onyx gemstone (locked at Lord Bost's)
delicate lady’s ring gold clear stone (locked at Lord Bost's - worth 1500-3000g as a pair)
Silver and gold bracelet (from paralyzed orc at crater - Aditi wears it, Brandon "gave" it to her?)

Scrolls:

Wands:
Wand of paralyzation (4 charges left) (Athos has this)

Potions:
Potion of [Strength]Heroism (for Ash if needed - works well with magic sword)
Potion of Undead Control
Potion of Stone Giant Control - pinkish in a battered bottle
2 Holy Water Flasks (Ash will give one to Aditi and one to Nathros)

Miscellaneous:
Snake Skin Cape
Snake Skin Mask
fine clothing
Viper's documents (copy)
sack of dried juniper berries
Wyvern parts
Backpack (20cn) 5gp [This is in the Bag of Holding usually.]-Rope 50' (50cn) 1gp
-Waterskin (30cn) 1gp
-Oil, Burning x 1 (10cn) 14g
-Rations (200cn) 5gp (second pack of rations)
-Normal Sword (60cn) 10gp
-Cloak, long (**) 1gp
-Bandages (**) 1gp
-3.5 weeks of Iron Rations (250cn)
1633g worth left (190p locked up at Lord Bost's, 177g and 600e(300g) on person, [206gp worth loaned to party,])
Alanna's leftover things:
Alanna's Holy Symbol (Penny carries in memory)
Bedroll
Platemail and shield (Penny wears and owns)
Healer's Wooden Box (Penny has and owns):
Gem that grants Cure Serious Wounds 1/day (used on Nathros for today, I believe)
Two Potions of Antidote (type 10)
Two Potions of Cure Serious Wounds (one of which Mycah is now carrying)
Two jars of Ointment of Soothing
Two bandages
2308 gp, 7 cp
Extra travelling supplies: [in Bag of Holding when possible]
-100' Rope (100cn)1gp
-6 Torches (120cn)1gp
-2 Weeks preserved rations for party [13ppl] (1820cn)390gp cost
-1 Week unpreserved rations for party [13ppl] (2600cn)65gp *party supplied their own rations on the first week*
-2 10' Wooden Poles (200cn)2gp
-3 Tents, 3/4 people each (*cn)?gp
-5 Oil Flasks (50cn)10gp (Mycah has 3, one is recovered from being unused)
-2 Handsize Steel Mirrors (10cn)10gp (Returned to bag from crater tent attack)
-Sturdy Pot and Tripod (100cn?)1gp
-Supplies to skin and harvest a carcass (50cn?)*gp
-3 Riding Horses and trappings for Hirelings to ride (*)315gp (All horses left with Brett and Jemaine)

Description:

Ash has a golden bronze bob-cut, dark green eyes, light olive skin, and light freckles across her cheeks which bridge over her nose. She now has armor that is enchanted plate mail and is designed to suit the female form. It is not fitted, but it doesn't look manly or androgynous like her first set of armor.

Her cloak is rust colored and she carries a standard pack across her back, complete with shield, bow, arrows, spear, and a sword at her side. To the common sort, it would seem a bit much for one to carry, but to an adventurer, it's no burden when the lives of you and your companions are on the line.

When nothing particular is said, she usually keeps a focused expression on her face.
Bio:

1Her father's name is Lord Amund Bost, older brother to Lord Jokkum Bost. Ashala Bost has recently arrived in Karameikos to join in her uncle's efforts to secure the keep and assist those under his employ. She seeks to prove herself and practice that which she has learned while making a name for herself and honoring her father's name. She does not readily divulge information regarding her family connections as she puts a high standard on herself to never tarnish their names by relation. Upon "making it" in the world, she will "inherit" her last name again. Or so was her goal. Since she's been working for her uncle, it's not been easy to guise her identity at all.

She has a sister, Henna, a sixteen year old studious young woman of great beauty. Not much of a fighter, though.

Ashala is nineteen years old with a passion for skill in battle. As a youth, she'd practice sword-play with the boys, archery by herself, and spears and lances with the men as she got older. She even learned to aim a lance upon horseback - not an easy feat. She wished the battle tactics classes would sink in better and she could remember the lessons they taught her, but she was a girl more suited to a hands on approach, rather than just reading things out of a textbook like her sister would.

None the less, her father was proud of both of them, just in different ways. She did well enough in her healing classes at the temple, perhaps because they let her practice so much and sometimes she'd assist in treating some of the more hearty injuries as well. Her hands were nimble and her eyes keen. Some lesser folk thought she'd make an excellent thief or pirate, but it would be a considered a disgrace among her people to choose such a life for herself. She would be ousted from the family for certain. Her personal opinion on the matter was only to not disappoint them as she searches for her place in the world. Of course, at this time, Ashala has proved to be a promising descendant of the Bost line as she journeyed off to the lands of Karameikos.2A little more experienced and a little more open-minded, Ash returned to Lord Bost after a successful mission to lead workers to inhabit and care for the Keep that the companions set out to secure.

She tries to find her place among her comrades as a worthy leader while still hoping to lose the false respect that her name governs over her peers.3After completing the task with her companions of clearing the caves of undead, a carrion crawler, and the goons from a gang called the Fangs, Ash recognizes the the value of vigilance for her comrades' sake.

Her colder and masculine front have begun to make way for a more protective and self sacrificing nature.3.5A successful attack was made against the Fangs at their hideout, a ship called the River Rose. None of her companions died, though for some it came close. Though there is much to be learned and understood from those close calls and the battles they faced, Ash considers this a true victory.

She looks forward to continuing her sword training and hopes to one day be worthy of knighting. For now, she plans to take it one day at a time.4Ash has lost the first life under her command. She keeps a strong front, but it cuts her deep inside. She was so close, yet so useless and unassertive in Algernon's time of need. She wonders if she'll make such a mistake again soon, or if she'll be lucky for a while. She accepts this is a danger they all risk and know full well, but so far she's tried very hard to keep between her allies and death. She had not anticipated or imagined so much power could spout from such a foe. There is still much good she believes her and her group can accomplish, however. Perhaps a little rest and simple guard duty will get everyone back on their feet and eager for the next mission after the caravan leaves. Perhaps they'll even gain another lead...4.5Armed with new team members and a dire quest to perhaps save the known world from despicable plots and ancient evils, Ash has set out once more to lead her Rangers.

After an unexpected victory over wild, berzerker, mountain men and a diplomatic arrangement with the dark mining dwarves, it seemed her luck was changing and that she once again might be able to keep her team safe from harm.
Then came the wyverns. She charged the first one to distract it and it proved far more dangerous and capable of bypassing her armor than she had expected. However, she resisted it's poisonous sting, perhaps even developed some immunity to it... but it wasn't enough. Her team rushed up to aid her, and she was grateful, but she feared for the ones left in the back. Who was watching them?
The second wyvern was too quick and snatched up Miranda before there was a moment to react and, without armor, she was helpless in defense.
There were three wyverns altogether. None of them returned to their nests.

With the next loss of a comrade's life fresh in her mind once more, she made a vow that she would not forget the risk that lead to Mira's sacrifice. Ash intends to add Mira's name to the legends of the Companions' adventures and the mission... if she survives.

Since then, there has been a troll, a dangerous band of serpent men, signs of abnormally large creatures, and orcs along with strange sounds like eerie horns in the night.

The splitting of the party to venture into the crater - and the others to stay with the horses - makes Ash nervous, but there is little else to do in this situation.

With a little luck and a lot of vigilance, perhaps they'll see it through and be able to start to return home in just a few more days.

Koren n'Rhys
2011-11-17, 10:44 PM
Mycah Deshiel
Neutral Male Human (Traladaran) Thief

Description:

Mycah is a young man of 16 years. Although young, his tanned, rough skin shows him to be a man who spends his time in the outdoors. He is small and wiry, just 5' 4" and 160 lbs, with mousy brown hair but strikingly green eyes. Good-natured, he get along well with his companions and is rarely seen without a smile playing upon his lips.

Level: 6
Experience: 30,042 [Next Level: 40,000 (+5% Bonus)]
Speech Color: Orange

Hit Points: 9
Armor Class: 5 (Custom Leather + Dex)
Base Thac0: 17 (16 Missile)
Wrestling Rating: 9
Movement: 90'/30'/90'
Encumbrance: 848 cn

Stats:
Strength: 9 (0)
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 8 (-1)
Dexterity: 13 (+1)
Constitution: 8 (-1)
Charisma: 10

Saving Throws:
Death Ray/Poison: 11, Magic Wands: 12, Paralysis/Turn to Stone: 11, Breath Attack: 14, Rod/Staff/Spell: 13

Languages:
Common, Neutral

Skills:
Acrobatics: 13, Hunting: 10, Nature Lore (Forest): 10, Snares: 10, Quick Draw: 13

Class Abilities:
Open Locks: 40%, Find Traps: 35%, Remove Traps: 34%, Climb Walls: 92%, Move Silently: 44%, Hide in Shadows: 32%, Pick Pockets: 45%, Hear Noise: 54%
Read any normal writing or language: 80%
Backstab: +4 To Hit, x2 Damage

Weapons:
Dagger (Basic): Thac0: 17 (16 thrown), Damage: 1d4, Range: 10/20/30
Short Bow (Basic): Thac0: 16, Damage: 1d6, Range: 50/100/150
Sword, Normal (Basic): Thac0: 17, damage: 1d8
Staff (Unskilled): Thac0: 17, Damage: 1d6 halved

Possessions:

On Person:
Leather Armor (Lizardskin - AC6) - 200cn
Cloak, Long - 0cn when worn
Short Bow & Quiver of Arrows (20) - 20cn
Silver-tipped Arrows (3) - 6cn
Daggers (2) - 20cn
Dagger +1 (1) - 10cn
Sword, Normal - 60cn
Staff - 40cn
ENC: 356

In Backpack (400cn Cap): - 20cn
Iron Rations (2 days) - 20cn
Waterskin (2) - 10cn
Torches (6) - 120cn
Tinder Box - 5cn
Small Hammer - 10cn
Iron Spikes (12) - 60cn
Rope, 50' - 50cn
Hand Axe - 30cn
Belt Pouch w/ 50gp - 52cn
Holy water (2) - 2cn
Thieves Tools (Std) - 10 cn
ENC: 389

In Belt Pouch (50cn Cap.): - 2cn
Thieves Tools (Fine)- 10cn
Coins-
GP: 18
SP: 15
CP: 7
ENC: 52

Animals:
Fine Riding Horse w/ Tack, Saddle and Saddlebags
AC:7, Move: 240, HD: 2, Att: 2 Hooves (1d4/1d4)
In Saddlebags(Cap 800cn, Enc 100+cap):
Small Sack (200cn Cap.): - 1cn
Iron Rations (5 days) - 50cn
100 electrum coins (value 50gp)
ENC: 101

Additional Treasure: (Stored at Oakheart)
253 GP
Leather Armor (extra set)

TOTAL ENCUMBRANCE: 848

Background:

Initial Family/Social Status: Struggling

Mycah is a young man who had the responsibilities of adulthood thrust upon him too early in life. He was raised among the foresters and lumbermen of Lord Bost's work camps where his mother Katerine was a cook and his father a lumberman. His father, Kevv, died in an accident when Mycah was just 11, and the lad began working to earn his keep not long after.

Taken in by the men of the camp as a communal son, he gradually learned the ways of the forests and is now most at home alone among the trees. His work as a scout taught him to fend for himself in the wild and move among the tree branches as if born to the work.

While content with his life for the most part, Mycah has wondered what life is like in the larger world and watched for a chance to find out.

Other Notes:

Accommodations in Threshold: Room at the Nut, after Nathros suggested it.

"Oakheart" Mycah's Home in the Woods:

Mrs. Bost takes Mycah on a morning ride up the coast road north of town. When they reach Lake Windrush, she points out the Baron's home, Tarnskeep off to the west, but turns east across the dam-top bridge and pays a toll to the keeper, a representative of the fishing village. Mycah's keen eye spots the exchange, and either the tool is exorbitant or she has paid for some extra service.

She continues across the bridge but then eschews the only apparent rode, into the fishing village ahead, and cuts south/southeast into the woods. Mycah's experience in the woods in general serves him well in keeping track of their position. No trail exists to be followed and the woods are quite dense. It might cross the scout's mind to wonder why Lord Bost has never harvested these trees. They arrive at a spot near the island's middle. "There," Mrs. Bor says, and points to a spot ahead. Mycah doesn't see it at first, but then he spies it. A well-hidden house.

Up close, Mycah can see that it's a very sturdy house, larger than many of the homes in town, but cleverly situated to be obscured from all directions. (On this map, start at the southernmost hex with a tree, up two more hexes, then northwest on hex. It's at the top line of that hex.)

She tells you it was the home of an old friend, "Dmitri built this house himself, but settling down in Threshold was not for him. Probably settling down anywhere, actually. It is yours now. I'll leave you with the key and let you explore."

Mycah will likely not see everything on this first visit, but some features are apparent. The entire house is fortress solid and the front door has a built in lock of exceptional quality. There is a large sitting room with a fireplace and several smaller rooms, one furnished as bedroom and another as sort of workshop with carving tools, fletching tools, woodworking tools, and so forth. The windows in the house can be shuttered from inside and outside. A trap door leads to the attic, which features arrow slits (and murderholes, though Mycah may not recognize them as such) into the house below. Another is a trap door under the bed leads to a lower level, which features a two-cell prison and a slew of locks, chains, manacles, thieves tools, rock chisels, and so forth. A small locked door leads to a small tunnel, which Mycah will eventually learn leads out to the edge of the forest near the beach on the southeast side of the island. A small boat is tied to the landward side of a large oak near the tunnels exit, apparently Dmitri's. Finally, the house backs up to a large oak tree, and a truly devoted effort by Mycah will reveal a false panel inside the house, along the back wall, that allows passage inside the oak tree. It has apparently been partially hollowed out without killing the tree, a trick of elves perhaps, and a ladder carved (or magicked?) into the tree allows one to climb the inside of the tree most of it's height. There are a couple hidden rooms at various heights, almost like the levels of a tower, and arrow slights and spy holes throughout.

LAST EDIT: 4-19-16

MeanMrsMustard
2012-04-18, 05:55 PM
Spoilered for non-character-related stuff. :smalltongue:

Given that my timeline for including you in is immediately, go ahead and make a character, and we'll see if we have a sudden flood of applicants or I find some other reason not to take you. :smallamused:

Are you familiar with/experienced in BECMI/RC games? Maybe tell us a bit about yourself and your gaming experience? You're pretty new here, which isn't necessarily a problem, but are you committed to a post/day or so?
Woo hoo!
I'm not familiar with those... :smallredface: My experience is basically limited to reading RPG webcomics (OotS, Darths & Droids, etc.).
All right... I'm going to try and follow the same basic format I've seen...
Alanna Nightengale
Female Neutral Cleric
5'6", 138 lbs, 19 years old
Curate (Level 5, 12605 XP)
Speech: Navy
Ability Scores (and adjustments)
STR 10 (0)
DEX 6 (-1)
CON 7 (-1)
INT 7 (-1)
WIS 14 (+1, 5% XP bonus)
CHA 10 (0)

Hit Points: 17
Armor Class: 3
Base Thac0: 19
Movement: 120' (40')

Weapons
Mace (Thac0 19, 1d6 Damage)
Magical Sling (+1 to Attack & Damage)
Spare Sling (Thac0 19, 1d4 Damage)
Spells
Cure Light Wounds
Cure Light Wounds
Bless
Hold Person
Saving Throws
Death Ray or Poison: 11
Magic Wands: 12
Paralysis or Turn to Stone: 14
Dragon Breath: 16
Rods, Staves, or Spells: 15
Languages: Common, Neutral
Starting Gold: 180
Skills
Gather Information (Cha)
Ceremony (Wis)
Detect Deception (Wis)
Healing (Int)
Social Status: 83

Equipment
Holy Symbol
Plate Armor with Shield
Bedroll
Wooden Box
Gem that grants Cure Serious Wounds 1/day
Two Potions of Antidote (type 10)
Two Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
Two jars of Ointment of Soothing
Two bandages
2308 gp, 7 cp

Description and Bio:
Alanna Nightengale was a typical human girl. She lived with her family in that quaint little area just northwest of the city, near the forest's edge. Like her family, she had strawberry blonde hair (which she styled into pigtails) and gray eyes. Unlike her family, Alanna was always the rebellious one. The black sheep. It wasn't as if she was the only Chaotic one -- in fact, she was Neutral, leaning toward Lawful. But when your father, mother and brothers are all Lawful enough to make prison guards look casual, even the slightest tilt toward Neutral will make you stick out.
"But Ma, why do I have to? I know, I know, 'Because I said so.' Fine, I'll do it."
Man, I'm sick of this place. I love my family and all, but it sure is tiring to always have to live by their rules. I bet elves don't have to worry about rules. Or adventurers! Boy, it'd be cool to be an adventurer... I'd be all like, "TURN UNDEAD!" Oh, shoot, I said that out loud, didn't I?
Summary of most recent edit:
Leveled up and added 600 gold.
More OoC stuff:
I am committed to posting daily (and will alert you guys when posting is out of the question).
EDIT: All right, is that everything? Super!

Kish
2013-05-14, 11:52 AM
Updated.

Aditi
Female Lawful Thief
5'7'', 180 LB, brown hair, blue eyes
Level 3, 2400 XP
Speech color: Violet

Strength 9
Intelligence 8 (-1, only knows Common and doesn't write well)
Wisdom 8 (-1)
Dexterity 10 (no XP bonus or penalty)
Constitution 16 (+2)
Charisma 10

Hit Points: 16
Armor Class: 7
Base THAC0: 19
Movement: 90'/30'/90' (with backpack), 120'/40'/120' (without backpack)
Background: 44 (Struggling)

Saving Throws
Death Ray/Poison: 13, Magic Wands: 14, Paralysis/Turn to Stone: 13, Breath Attack: 16, Rod/Staff/Spell: 15.

Class Abilities
Open Locks: 30%, Find Traps: 25%, Remove Traps: 25%, Climb Walls: 90%, Move Silently: 35%, Hide in Shadows: 24%, Pick Pockets: 35%, Hear Noise: 45%.

Skills
Danger Sense, Detect Deception, Endurance, Healing. Basic proficiency: Normal Sword, Long Bow, and Dagger.

Equipment
Worn: Normal sword, dagger +1, +2 vs. dragonkind, long bow, quiver of arrows, leather armor, boots.
In backpack: Mace, lantern, iron rations (1 week), 2 flasks of oil, thieves' tools, potion of defense +4.
Riding horse, saddle.
Encumbrance: 545+one potion, 365 without backpack. (I'm not sure how much potions weigh.)

Money: 5 GP.

Bio: Aditi was born in a village near the Castellan Keep. When she was fifteen years old, an adventurer who had just killed a dragon came to town. After that, not all her father's grim warnings about most adventurers dying quickly could dissuade her from her resolve to become an adventurer. She is primarily motivated by wealth, but not for its own sake, rather for what she hopes to do with it, for the world in general and her family in particular. Her parents are still alive, and she has two younger siblings.

She dislikes the term "thief," and never expects to use her pickpocketing abilities outside of training exercises. Her mother advised her on what to purchase to begin her career (she couldn't find room for the iron spikes or the rope). Young, idealistic, and naive, she started out understanding the risks and costs of being an adventurer only in the abstract.

When she was eighteen, the Gnomish Caravan came through her village, and she took the opportunity to join it as a guard. Traveling with them, she participated in a few fights with goblins and human bandits, even once claiming a magical dagger from a bugbear who was leading a party of goblin raiders. Killing no longer bothers her the way it did when she first killed a goblin, but with the Caravan, she hasn't been in much danger, or seen a great deal of excitement or opportunity.

As the Caravan approaches Threshold, Aditi considers that perhaps, there, she'll be able to find a group of adventurers she can join.

Roland St. Jude
2013-05-18, 12:38 AM
Welcome to the new OOC thread. The Caravan's in town. Anyone who wants to do business with members of the caravan or do anything else specific in the two weeks it's in town, let's deal with that in whatever combination of IC and OOC you want.

Aditi will certainly hear of a group of local heroes known as Bost's Rangers, sometimes also called the Vigilant or Valiant Companions. At least some, and sometimes all, of them can be found nightly at The Nut, a local inn catering to a diverse clientele of adventurers, merchants, and locals.

Let's get Kish into the game and have her meet you all.

Matthew
2013-05-18, 10:14 AM
Aye, aye! :smallbiggrin:

MeanMrsMustard
2013-05-19, 07:53 PM
*hasn't checked old OoC*
*sees Kish in new IC*
Heck yes!
*geeks out*

Roland St. Jude
2013-05-23, 12:50 AM
Okay, so OOC, I'll let you know the party succeeded in eliminating all the threats to the Caravan's visit to Threshold. The rest of the Caravan's visit will proceed without disturbance.

There are a couple weeks here to add the new character, train, and decide what to do next. I recommend adding Aditi as expeditiously as would be credible, declare what your character would like to do with the next two weeks, and decide that to next. That last bit you should probably discuss and agree to OOC.

Outstanding plot hooks (though some you may not have enough info to pursue) include:

Spider Temple of alleged ancient power
Ederick the Necromancer's local plans
Bargle the Infamous
Issues plaguing Bost's Castle in the East
Mountain monster trouble in a valley near the Duke's Road Keep
Fangs banditry on the Duke's Road north of Specularum
Black Arrows

There are a couple others, less obvious or known only to a single player, but feel free to add anything you can think of.

I suspect you're off next to the spider temple, but you might as well get every option out on the table.

Nevaera
2013-05-23, 12:24 PM
I can't think of a great reason to go disturbing the immortal spider layers, but the information gathered about them has made the prospect more plausible. The idea behind learning more about them was to be aware if they posed a threat to Threshold and the like.

I think Ash will aim more toward keeping the roads safe for travelers and helping Lord Bost with the threats around the Keep.

Anyone else have any preferences or good IC reasons for specific adventure paths to come?

Frivolous
2013-05-23, 12:44 PM
Alanna returns to the temple, her assistants pleased to have something specific to look for. It was slow work, however, as there was no obvious treatise on the subject specifically. Still, there was a mention here of a treacherous spider beguiling townsfolk and there of a half-human half-spider and a small army of her children massacring a village.

Before I give my opinion on which missions to prioritize, may I ask if the tales above of townsfolk beguiled and villages massacred are recent or long ago?

Bran prefers to handle imminent or present dangers first before he goes after a sleeping danger.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-05-23, 01:15 PM
I think disturbing these ancient spiders is asking for trouble. If we find Bargle/Ederick has awoken something then we need to deal with it, yes, but until then? Not so smart.

My take was that Alanna's stories were old ones, but I could be wrong on that. So, still no immediate risk there.

My vote is for helping clear the mountains near Lord Bost's lands of monsters, or continuing to hunt Fangs and looking into the highway robbers. Mycah has a vested interest in staying close to Threshold now, or at least coming back here and not just moving on.

Nevaera
2013-05-23, 04:23 PM
I second the suggestions so far.

Roland St. Jude
2013-05-23, 05:49 PM
Before I give my opinion on which missions to prioritize, may I ask if the tales above of townsfolk beguiled and villages massacred are recent or long ago?Long ago. From Traladaran histories pre-dating the creation of the Duchy of Karamekios.

Matthew
2013-05-24, 05:44 AM
Following up on Edrick or Bargle seems like the best plan to me, if we are not going looking for the spider temple.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-05-24, 10:20 AM
Ederick should be a realistic challenge, but I think Bargle himself is out of our league. Of course, that's based on metagame knowledge mostly. IC, we can certainly learn more and make an informed decision.

Nevaera
2013-05-24, 11:24 AM
I believe we have perfectly good reasons IC to be wary of rustling up trouble with Bargle. He's a very connected dangerous man of magic, guile, and influence. Not one to be trifled with by our simple warriors. Perhaps we could hire a spy to gather proper intel. on Bargle for a later date.

Ederick is plausible but still a little unpredictable. Magic is always capable of being a strong tide turner and our mage is still new. Do we have any leads on his whereabouts? I forget.

I believe the more simple problems around Threshold would be a better warm up into battle again.

Roland St. Jude
2013-05-24, 10:28 PM
Ederick is plausible but still a little unpredictable. Magic is always capable of being a strong tide turner and our mage is still new. Do we have any leads on his whereabouts? I forget.Just the note you guys found on the River Rose mentioning his plan to explore the temple after his business in Threshold.

Matthew
2013-05-24, 11:20 PM
The spider temple?

Nevaera
2013-05-25, 12:03 PM
Aw, crap. Now we might have to go there anyways. I wonder if maybe it's too late and he's left - of if he may have awakened the spider-lady already. Crap, crap, crap - >.<

MeanMrsMustard
2013-05-25, 12:23 PM
Crap indeed. :smalleek:
Ash mentioned that the Companions would need more than one cleric. If we end up going to the Spider Temple, will we recruit people from the Threshold temple?

Nevaera
2013-05-25, 02:02 PM
I dunno. Maybe. Perhaps we'll have to. I hope another player wants to join us and be a healer or spell caster. That'd be crazy helpful. Especially a healer.

Matthew
2013-05-26, 05:23 AM
Yay! The Spider Temple! :smallbiggrin:

Koren n'Rhys
2013-05-26, 08:28 AM
Well, sure - you're the dwarf. You get good saves against poison!

Nevaera
2013-05-26, 11:23 AM
:smallfrown:
This makes me have a bad feeling - spider temple = foreboding.

Nevaera
2013-05-29, 11:56 PM
Still working on my IC post-reply.

Wicked "house"! :D
*wines* I want a tree-house -slash- fortress. *pouts*

Originally I'd planned that Ash kinda figured it out - you asked for a house and you'd not mentioned anything yet. I know I figured it out, but I realized most of my info was not gathered IC, so I supposed that would be unfair.

Now, even if Ash had her suspicions, there was nothing that could have prepared her for the sight and exploration of such kick butt accommodations. :smallbiggrin:

Roland St. Jude
2013-05-30, 12:23 AM
I'm going camping Fri. to Mon., so expect very brief, text-only, or no posts until Monday.

I think what we need to move forward is an OOC decision on where the party will go next. See what you folks can do over the weekend. :smallsmile:

Nevaera
2013-05-30, 09:30 AM
Well, I'd rather not have to go to the spider tomb, but if an ancient evil is or will be awaken, I suppose it's got to be us to deal with the consequences of that blasted wizard's actions.

If no one is too worried about that though, we could try to keep the roads clear for the travelers and work on protecting the keep for Lord Bost.

I think most people would likely now vote it necessary to go to the spider tomb though.

Spider tomb: 1 vote.
Roads and Keep: 1 vote.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-05-30, 10:53 AM
Hmm. I still don't know that we'd feel the Spider Temple is more than a possible threat so far. I'd vote for monster bashing in the local area until more solid evidence of new activity is thrown in our faces.

If that happens, we have our extra priestesses and NPC mage for additional firepower and turning. We go in hard and fast.

Enjoy the weekend Roland, hope the weather cooperates.

Nevaera
2013-05-30, 12:45 PM
I agree.
It's nice to be reactive sometimes rather than looking for danger. It justifies a person's actions a whole lot more than that of one who sought out the danger in the first place.

Roads and Keep: 2 hearty votes. :smalltongue:

Kish
2013-05-30, 12:48 PM
Not having been with the party at the discovery of any of the information that would point to any of these options, I'm abstaining.

Aditi is not afraid of spiders, necromancers, or Basic D&D tutorial villains. (In fact, how not-afraid she is might disturb any more experienced adventurers who discuss the matter with her enough to divine it.)

Frivolous
2013-05-31, 10:01 AM
I vote for spider temple.

Bran would prefer to leave it for later, but if the necromancer is going there Bran wants to get there, too, in hopes of getting there first or at least catching up.

Matthew
2013-06-01, 05:04 AM
Not really bothered. The Spider Tomb seems like a more interesting adventure, but whatever you guys want to do is fine with me.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-06-01, 06:43 AM
Alright then, that's two to two. Come on, MMM - you're the tie breaker! What's it going to be?

Battlemage
2013-06-01, 10:50 AM
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've spoken to Roland about hopefully joining your valiant band of adventurers. I don't have much experience with the rules of this edition, so bear with me if I make mistakes.

Character generation rolls (please, gods of the dice, give me a decent Int score:smallsmile:):

Str: [roll0]
Int: [roll1]
Wis: [roll2]
Dex: [roll3]
Con: [roll4]
Cha: [roll5]

Family Social Status: [roll6]
Starting Gold: [roll7]

Let's see!

Battlemage
2013-06-01, 10:53 AM
Well, so much for any kind of caster build... :(
Gonna have to think about what to do with this.

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-01, 11:04 AM
Well, so much for any kind of caster build... :(
Gonna have to think about what to do with this.As with others who have come in to fill a particular role, you can swap your highest score into the prime req. The party could use a PC magic user right now.

Battlemage
2013-06-01, 11:33 AM
As with others who have come in to fill a particular role, you can swap your highest score into the prime req. The party could use a PC magic user right now.

That is good news! As such, Int and Cha would be swapped, leading to the following stats:

Str: 12 - 2 adjustment = 10 (+0 bonus)
Int: 13 +1 adjustment = 14 (+1 bonus)
Wis: 7 (-1 penalty)
Dex: 10 (+0 bonus)
Con: 12 (+0 bonus)
Cha: 7 (-1 penalty)

A socially inept person with no common sense and the power of changing reality at his fingertips. I can't see how that could possibly go wrong. :smallbiggrin:

Battlemage
2013-06-01, 12:23 PM
I'm working on creating all the stats for the character, should have them finished today. For the background and characteristics I'm waiting with the details until I've read the material about the game world.

I do have 2 questions that came up while doing my stats:
1) What does a family social status of 87 mean?
2) The rules say that magic-users can use some weapons depending on GM approval. Is it ok to use a sling?

Oh and my starting hit points roll: [roll0]

Battlemage
2013-06-01, 01:30 PM
Dural Arkenvir
Male Tythian/Karamekian Magic-User
Alignment: Neutral
6'2", 175 lbs, 16 years old
Level 3: 5000 XP
Speech Color: Dark Red

Appearance:
Tall and lanky, the youth gives the slightly awkward appearance of someone who underwent a recent growth spurt and has not adapted to the change yet. He has dark, bluish-black hair that he wears in unruly medium length curls. The first thing an observer notices is the long thin scar which crosses Dural's face diagonally, starting at the left side of his forehead and ending near the right corner of his mouth. Together with his heterochromatic eyes, one icy blue, the other a dark green, he strikes a truly odd figure. Despite high cheekbones and a well defined jaw, the lines of his face are just a bit too sharp to be called handsome.
He is dressed in well-made clothes in muted colors, with a long hooded cloak hiding most of it under its dark red folds.

Personality:
Dural is a friendly and curious person. He loves new experiences and, after a very sheltered upbringing, yearns for adventure. He is idealistic and a touch naive, but can, when provoked, display a touch of petty vengefulness.
He is slightly uncomfortable in social situations, especially when interacting with the opposite gender. Not having much experience with relationships of any kind, he finds the laws of magic easier to understand than those that govern human interaction. He has confidence in his magical abilities, but is otherwise insecure, though he often tries to hide that behind fake bravado.
Though highly intelligent, his ideas and plans have a tendency to neglect the aspect of practicality, and noone has ever accused him of possessing too much common sense.

Hit Points: 6
Armor Class: 9 (No armor)
Base Thac0: 19
Movement: 120/40/120 (with backpack), 120/40/120 (without backpack)
Encumbrance: 340 (with backpack), 85 (without backpack)

Attributes:
Str: 10 (+0)
Int: 14 (+1)
Wis: 7 (-1)
Dex: 10 (+0)
Con: 12 (+0)
Cha: 7 (-1)

Saving Throws:
Death Ray/Poison: 14
Magic Wands: 15
Paralysis/Turn to Stone: 14
Breath Attack: 17
Rod/Staff/Spell: 16

Spell Book:
1st: Read Magic, Sleep, Magic Missile
2nd: Invisibility

Spells per Day:
1st: 2
2nd: 1

Memorized Spells:
1st: Sleep, Magic Missile (expended)
2nd: Invisibility

Weapons:
Sling: Damage 1d6; Range 40/80/160, attack +2, stun at medium and short range, -1 AC vs the first 2 attacks each round
Dagger: Damage 1d4; Range 10/20/30

Weapon Choices:
Sling (Skilled), Dagger (Basic)

Skill Choices:
Alchemy 14
Alertness 10
Art (Drawing) 14
Knowledge (Arcana) 14
Riding (Horse) 10

Languages
Common (Tythian)
Traldaran
Draconic

Magic Items:
Potion of Polymorph Self
Lampf of Long Burning
Wand of Paralyzation (4 charges)

Equipment:
Wearing (85cn):
- Plain clothes, long cloak with hood, belt, boots
- 2 daggers (one on belt, one in boot) (20cn)
- Sling (20cn)
- Belt pouch (2cn) with 90 lead pellets (18cn)
- Belt pouch (2cn) with Notebook (12cn), quills (5cn) and a vial of ink (1cn)
- Belt pouch (2cn) with Potion of Polymorph Self (3 cn)

Backpack (20cn) / (255cn):
- Spell Book (25cn)
- Spare set of plain clothes (20cn)
- Court clothes (extravagant) (30 cn)
- Waterskin (full) (30cn)
- Lampf of Long Burning with two flasks of oil (50cn)
- Hand-sized steel mirror (5cn)
- Tinder Box (5cn)
- Iron rations for one week (70cn)

Riding Horse
- Saddle
- Saddlebags

Current Gold: 276 gp

Background Story:
Dural was born as the third son of a lesser Karamekian noble house. Since it was clear from birth that, barring disastrous circumstance, he would not inherit anything of note, his parents paid him less attention than his brothers.

Dural grew up with with books as his closest companion. Always a dreamer, he had difficulty finding friends and found solace in the imaginary adventures that those dusty tomes offered him. He knew he wanted to be a hero like the characters in his books and begged his older brothers to teach him the art of swordfighting, even though the weapon master said he was too young yet. They reluctantly agreed, and tried to teach him some basic attacks and blocks. But when he saw his brother's blade close in on him, something strange happened. An uncontrollable surge of energy sprang up from his reflexively raised hands and burned his brother's arm. Startled, the young man lost control of his weapon and slashed a deep gash across Dural's face.

From that day on, Dural was forbidden from touching any blade larger than a dagger. But he did not care, since he had found something better than steel. His parents paid a wizard they knew to take him in as an apprentice, glad to have found a spot for a son they did not know what to do with.

After learning the basics of magic from his teacher, Dural felt he could improve faster through more hands-on experience. He'd finally had enough of books, and now wanted to live what until now he had only read about. His moment came when, at a courtly function, he got to know a Tyathian noble, a magic-user like himself, though more experienced and part of a group of adventurers. He couldn't believe his luck when his new aquaintance, Talsarios, mentioned that he had been recalled to Tythia, and that he felt guilty leaving his comrades without magical support. He suggested that Dural take over his place in his absence, offering to write the youth a letter of recommendation. Realizing that the opportunity of a lifetime had just presented itself to him, Dural agreed immediately. Convincing his family was easy, since they had despaired on what to do with their son, who showed neither courtly skill nor enough common sense for their taste, for years. He would carve out his own destiny in this young and promising land, far from court intrigues and politics.

It was time to be a hero.

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-01, 02:23 PM
1) It means Wealthy/Titled. Your family holds a minor/moderate title in Thytia or Karamekios (we can discuss which), and they had no trouble affording your starting gear and travelling money to get you to Threshold.

2) Sling is fine.

Nevaera
2013-06-01, 02:24 PM
Welcome to the mix, Battlemage! ^_^

Battlemage
2013-06-01, 03:45 PM
Phew, I think I'm all done with my character. If you notice anything I either missed or got wrong (and there probably is a thing or two), please let me know.

Welcome to the mix, Battlemage! ^_^

Thanks, glad to be here! =)

Frivolous
2013-06-02, 09:01 AM
Oh, another male magic-user with a name starting with the letter A. :smallsmile:

Bran will be pessimistic.

Note for Battlemage: Two male magic-users named Alastor and Algernon, and a male elf named Artanis. All 3 of them were prone to reckless charges.

Maybe it'll different when the A-name is the surname instead of the given name, haha.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-06-02, 11:13 AM
Hey Battlemage - welcome to the group! Hope you enjoy the game. I'm sure you'll get into the feel of the rules quickly enough.

Battlemage
2013-06-02, 01:51 PM
I'll try to keep the reckless charging to a minimum. Doesn't seem like a great idea with 3 hit points and no armor.
The rules learning is going along well, they don't seem too drastically different from 2nd edition rules so far, which I know decently enough from the Baldur's Gate series.

I realized that I need prices for some items that aren't in the rulebook to finish Dural's equipment, more specifially quills, ink, a notebook and a bedroll.

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-02, 09:05 PM
I'll try to keep the reckless charging to a minimum. Doesn't seem like a great idea with 3 hit points and no armor.
The rules learning is going along well, they don't seem too drastically different from 2nd edition rules so far, which I know decently enough from the Baldur's Gate series.

I realized that I need prices for some items that aren't in the rulebook to finish Dural's equipment, more specifially quills, ink, a notebook and a bedroll.Quills are 1 cp/ea, Ink is 8 gp/vial, a notebook of 25 sheets/50 pages of decent quality paper is 50 gp, a bedroll is 5 sp.

Battlemage
2013-06-02, 09:43 PM
Hit point rolls for level 2 and 3:
[roll0]
[roll1]

In regards to spells known I'm assuming three lvl 1s and one lvl 2, since I've seen that number for another magic-user earlier in the thread. If not, please correct me.

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-02, 09:50 PM
Hit point rolls for level 2 and 3:
[roll0]
[roll1]

In regards to spells known I'm assuming three lvl 1s and one lvl 2, since I've seen that number for another magic-user earlier in the thread. If not, please correct me.Correct. One of those three level one spells needs to be read magic.

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-02, 10:41 PM
New player in play!

Are we still waiting on the tie-breaker vote to decide what to do next? Let's get that done and then get on to adventure!

Nevaera
2013-06-03, 09:55 AM
I think we wait upon M.M.M.'s vote cause she's the only one of our earlier group that hasn't voted.
From one of her posts before, though, I think she'll want to head to the spider temple.

There's been a lot of research that way already and the other priestesses are excited to contribute on an adventure.
I think this will be an exceptional challenge cause of the unforeseen encounters we'll likely have on the road on the way plus the possibility of dealing with magic users and demi-gods or what have you.

Our new recruits will get the chance to get the hang of things with plenty of time to spare.

---

Battlemage, what part of the day did you come to Lord Bost's? I could write out an IC to better suit your arrival if I know where I'll be hailed from to greet you. :) I'm sure you could choose whatever part of the day you're picturing in your head.

Battlemage
2013-06-03, 10:07 AM
I'd say midday to early afternoon if it's all the same, since our travelling party probably spent the night somewhere and then needed a couple hours to actually arrive at Threshold.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-06-03, 10:34 AM
OK, I think we can move on as everyone posts final intentions.

Neavara, you don't need to follow up on my last bit of IC stuff at the house, we can move forward from that too. For the record, I have a feeling that deep down, Ash does like being seen as a woman too, not just a warrior, if not to any great girlie-girl degree. I imagine the "one of the guys" comment might not be received as the compliment Mycah meant it to be. :smallsmile:

Nevaera
2013-06-03, 12:02 PM
Sounds good. I'm a bit overtired right now - late night - but I'll try to get my IC post settled soon.

At that time IC, I imagine she'll be about Lord Bost's rather than at The Nut.

---

Hit the nail on the head. Except where you thought that she might be offended. He said it more endearingly rather than at all pejoratively, demeaning, or derogatorily. And it was just after she'd told a bunch of boyish stories of herself rather than just after watching Mycah kiss the "girly-girl" right in front of her. :smallwink:

---

Edit: Oh, and Matthew/Nathros, I got this feeling you still haven't added your share of the 600g from the hobgoblin camp adventure.
Ash gave it to Nathros in character, so I don't have it in the group possessions anymore.

Frivolous
2013-06-03, 01:43 PM
I have an IC post saved to a notepad file.

Awaiting a time that every PC is in the same room, so Bran can relate his findings.

Edit: Oh, and I've altered Bran's character sheet to reflect his purchases.

He is not bringing the tapestry along, of course. That probably remains in the Bor manor. His family can enjoy it while he is off adventuring.

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-03, 07:01 PM
The merchant knew little more than described in the IC. He told Bran that more could be learned from the Nicos family, old-timers at Fort Nicos and the region around it, an expert in Thytian history, and so on.

This is a good example of the many possible plothooks woven into the game. Whether and when you pursue each thing is up to you guys. I've tried to make them varied in terms of locality, difficulty, exoticness, etc.

Frivolous
2013-06-03, 08:01 PM
Yes. I'm aware, Roland. :smallsmile:

The nice thing about the information we have is we don't have to actually go to the Fort to learn more; we can theoretically ask Lord Bost to send a letter or something, asking the questions we need answers to.

It's not as reliable, but if necessary we can resort to correspondence rather than going ourselves.

Nevaera
2013-06-04, 09:39 AM
I for one really appreciate all the diversity in our opportunities. We can really have our pick of what kind of missions and duties we may pursue. It's kind of exciting to look forward to the unsettling unknown of the spider tomb, the subtle manipulations of the higher-up people with connections, and the stories of dragons and giants and other such creatures. There's even the opportunity to help at Bost's Keep if we wanted something a little more familiar, stable, and close - say if most of our party wipes at the tomb.

Ash is going to leave a nice personal letter (a Will too) in Bost's vault before going to the tomb. :smallwink:

MeanMrsMustard
2013-06-05, 08:05 AM
Sorry about being out of the OoC thread! :smallredface:
Also, welcome, Battlemage!

Yeah, I think Alanna will want to head straight to the Spider Temple, given she's already done several things to prepare. She might feel uneasy about taking so many new recruits, but she feels that, though dormant at the moment, the threat is too large to leave for much longer. She wouldn't feel too bad about letting the new guys "warm up" with something easier.
As a player, I like the narrative idea of the Spider Temple, but I'm generally cool with going along for the ride. Being the deciding vote is somewhat new to me. :smalltongue:

Nevaera
2013-06-05, 09:20 AM
Well, we do have two casters and more healers. I suppose we have a chance now, so long as the girls can cast cure light wounds at least one time each. They'll be the in-camp healers, I figure. Just like the hirelings are our camp guards and ranged assistance.

From the lore, the spider immortals have wiped out near an entire adventuring party in days past. Even our seasoned players may not all come back from this.

In character, I believe Ash will suggest that the party investigate if Bargle or anyone has even bothered disturbing the tomb. If there are no signs of a recent entry, a slow and cautious progression through the tomb would be recommended to clear out its threats. Fighting a spider-person would likely disturb its parent/offspring/siblings from their magical slumbers, though I'm not certain that's the case.

Mainly I hope everyone knows the risk and will remember to be cautious, both OoC and IC.

Battlemage
2013-06-07, 10:21 AM
Can I assume we're on the road now? I'm a bit unsure if we're already on our way or still in some indeterminate time between the meeting and the departure.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-06-07, 11:05 AM
I think we're still finalizing our plans, seeing if the boat is a viable option and so on. If you want to chime in, feel free!

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-07, 02:58 PM
Indeed. Given that there is an overland route and a river route, the party will need to decide which to take. I recommend people post IC about whatever their final in-town preparations and acquisitions may be and discuss OOC whether they want to take one route or the other. Or just wait for the Caller to decide. :smallamused:

Nevaera
2013-06-07, 03:39 PM
Well, I've got the food and gear purchased, but we have too many horses to take by river. There's not ships or anything to buy and all the ones we could borrow are too small or too full.

We'll have to venture via roads and wilderness, unfortunately - but it will give us some opportunity for some random encounters that might help everyone get some group experience and find a battle niche.

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-08, 03:46 PM
Sounds like Ash (and privately so far, Dural) favor the land route. Unless someone pipes up in favor of the water route in the next couple hours, I'll post the departure from town narrative and call for a marching order/travel plan.

Frivolous
2013-06-09, 01:29 AM
Bran favors the land route.

Nevaera
2013-06-09, 04:48 PM
Oh, we'll probably set up a three man watch each night 4hrs each.
1. Three hirelings
2. Alanna, Mycah, Ash
3. Brandon, Aditi, Nathros
Then everyone whose not a caster or a new priestess can get a turn every three days.

Can Ash sleep in her armor without penalty? (since it's enchanted for comfort)
or is the penalty just a bit less maybe only?

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-09, 05:24 PM
Oh, we'll probably set up a three man watch each night 4hrs each.
1. Three hirelings
2. Alanna, Mycah, Ash
3. Brandon, Aditi, Nathros
Then everyone whose not a caster or a new priestess can get a turn every three days.Great.

Can Ash sleep in her armor without penalty? (since it's enchanted for comfort) Yes.

Nevaera
2013-06-10, 03:29 PM
Whoohoo! Awesome!
:D
Ash will sleep in her armour unless in town.

Alright, when possible, we should camp near a source of water, but not so close that we can hear it more than just faintly. (If we're too close, we might not hear enemies when they approach.)
In the evenings and mornings, people can freshen up there and refill wine-skins and water the horses.

We'll also keep our food stuffs sealed tight (preferable in the bag of holding) so the scent isn't carried to a lazy buffet opportunist.

Ash will need help setting up tents on potentially rainy nights (or at least for the ladies) and she'll be very helpful with watering the horses. However, she's not much of a cook, so if someone wants to get the fires going and put together a stew or soup for the group, I'll bet it would be more pleasant than jerky and stuff all the time.

This is just stuff for flavour, not all of it is particularly important regarding game rules and such.

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-10, 08:57 PM
Oops, I forgot to note in the spoiler Brandon 's -3 up from that spear.

Nevaera
2013-06-10, 11:35 PM
Poo, guess Ash is rusty after all. :smallannoyed: (posted after attack roll was made)

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-11, 08:47 PM
Kish, you can edit a post with rolls in it as long as you don't touch the roll code at all.

Also, please do OOC talk and questions in the OOC thread or in a spoiler.

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-11, 11:13 PM
posting from my phone. Having some trouble with my home internet access. i'll try to get an IC post up tomorrow.

Nevaera
2013-06-12, 08:42 AM
Hoping I'm helping...
You should also make all rolls in a spoiler too. ^_^

Combat is exciting, no? :smallsmile:

Matthew
2013-06-12, 09:33 AM
Sorry folks, I have been super busy lately and for some reason not receiving any reminders about the game! Did Nathros get that full plate armour in the end? I am guessing that is where his 600 GP would have gone.

Nevaera
2013-06-12, 11:37 AM
Does it cost that much? I thought it was only 250gp... unless you got a special kind perhaps?

But so long as your *character sheet* is updated and the money accounted for, there's no worries. :smallsmile:

Glad you're back.
Somehow your rolls always kick butt too.
Guess you're just in time. :smallamused:

Frivolous
2013-06-12, 02:36 PM
Roland: Confirm that a warhorse can attack with 2 hooves?

My book says a war horse has 3 HD, thaco 17, and does 1-6/1-6.

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-12, 02:58 PM
Roland: Confirm that a warhorse can attack with 2 hooves?

My book says a war horse has 3 HD, thaco 17, and does 1-6/1-6.Those stats are correct. He can attack or you can attack. You can both try to attack, but with some difficulty/penalty dependent on the circumstances. Riding checks may be required and/or to hit penalties assessed. For example, trying to swing a sword at something your horse is rearing up and hoof attacking would be nearly impossible. But attacking something on your side while the horse attacks something in front seems more possible.

Battlemage
2013-06-12, 06:06 PM
Dural would stop his spell when he hears Ash's command to save a spell, but I don't know if that came to late for him or not. DM call I guess.

Nevaera
2013-06-12, 07:48 PM
Oh, sorry. She meant between the both of you. That way each wave isn't quite so overwhelming/daunting. There may yet be more of them. *shudder*

Matthew
2013-06-13, 08:59 AM
Having some trouble with my rolls posting! Going to delete the last two posts and try again! Sorry! Man, I am making a mess! Finally, got the post to work!

Koren n'Rhys
2013-06-13, 09:17 AM
OK folks, sorry for the delay. Back from my trade show and going to catch up shortly...

Nevaera
2013-06-13, 09:20 AM
Oops, I forgot to roll my alertness check to go with my actions on my last IC post.

Alertness DC13: [roll0]

(Watch, this one will be a wicked attack roll instead. >.<)

Edit: Figures... I was actually thinking it'd probably be a twenty, based on the awful other rolls I've made thus far.

Matthew
2013-06-14, 04:25 AM
Does it cost that much? I thought it was only 250gp... unless you got a special kind perhaps?

But so long as your *character sheet* is updated and the money accounted for, there's no worries. :smallsmile:

Uggh. Just read the rules for this armour type. Seems to be "jousting armour". Nathros would happily pay 600 GP for an armour type with class 2 or 1 without the debilitating silliness of being unable to get up once knocked down!

Glad you're back.
Somehow your rolls always kick butt too.
Guess you're just in time. :smallamused:

Jinxed me last round! :smallbiggrin:

Nevaera
2013-06-14, 09:29 AM
Uggh. Just read the rules for this armour type. Seems to be "jousting armour". Nathros would happily pay 600 GP for an armour type with class 2 or 1 without the debilitating silliness of being unable to get up once knocked down! Oooh, lovely!

Jinxed me last round! :smallbiggrin: Oops!!! :smalleek: Sorry - Sumimasen - Gomen. :smallredface: :smallsmile:

---

Ash fires another arrow - at the berserker in the front from the first wave.
... She'll stow her bow if no more appear to be approaching and she'll move to intercept the closest berserker that's not asleep or about to be asleep.Wouldn't the one currently attacking Mycah be the one closest? I intended to do battle with this one until he's finished. I don't know if that somehow seemed unclear.
I suppose it's a bit too late to change this after the results of the last round.
I guess I'll try to be more descriptive in my spoilers of what I'm intending.

"Penny - heal Mycah."Did Penelope heal Mycah as Ash called out for her to do?

Have the hirelings been firing arrows all this time? I had been counting on a little fire support from them through this.

Nevaera
2013-06-14, 09:48 AM
Whoops, the d20 roll was misaligned.

Here's another go at it.

[roll0]

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-17, 12:12 AM
Uggh. Just read the rules for this armour type. Seems to be "jousting armour". Nathros would happily pay 600 GP for an armour type with class 2 or 1 without the debilitating silliness of being unable to get up once knocked down!

Jinxed me last round! :smallbiggrin:We can retro to mere plate, if you like, but yeah, you purchased the fancy suit armor. (AC 0, which you should change on your sheet in in your IC spoilers, if you're sticking with it.) :smallsmile:

Matthew
2013-06-17, 07:01 AM
We can retro to mere plate, if you like, but yeah, you purchased the fancy suit armor. (AC 0, which you should change on your sheet in in your IC spoilers, if you're sticking with it.) :smallsmile:

All the combat posts suppose plated mail, so I guess he just commissioned it and left it back in town.

Nevaera
2013-06-17, 09:25 AM
Oh, I noticed Bran was supposedly missing 3 hp in his spoilers, but I don't remember him ever being hit during this encounter. Perhaps a copy-paste typo?

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-17, 10:42 AM
Oh, I noticed Bran was supposedly missing 3 hp in his spoilers, but I don't remember him ever being hit during this encounter. Perhaps a copy-paste typo?
That happened in the initial assault. Description in the IC, number in the OOC:

Oops, I forgot to note in the spoiler Brandon 's -3 hp from that spear.

Nevaera
2013-06-17, 12:05 PM
Ohh, right! I remember that now. Thanks. Guess I'd better try and give him a heal too. I'll roll it here instead of clogging up the IC.

Heal DC 10:
Brandon [roll0]

Eh, he'll live anyways. :smalltongue:

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-17, 02:07 PM
Nathros cuts his head off.Nooooo! Nathros has so much to live for! :smalltongue:

Kish
2013-06-17, 04:42 PM
Ach, now my dice roll high.

MeanMrsMustard
2013-06-17, 10:32 PM
Hey all, I'm going on a pioneer trek from Wednesday to Saturday. I won't have any Internet from Wednesday to Friday, and I might be too tired to log in on Saturday. I'll be back to normal on Sunday, but until then, Alanna can be a DMPC. I'll be able to post tomorrow, though.

Nevaera
2013-06-18, 08:53 AM
Nooooo! Nathros has so much to live for! :smalltongue:

I LoLed. :smallbiggrin:

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-18, 08:53 PM
Still having some problems with my home internet access. Game posts likely to be slightly more than 24 hours apart.

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-19, 06:18 PM
OOC: The berserker is speaking Traldaran, but heavily accented and really poorly. You can probably sound out what he's saying from the quoted text if you take a few moments. It's accented and run together, but it isn't gibberish. :smallamused:

Battlemage
2013-06-19, 06:41 PM
I edited my post to fit the situation.

Matthew
2013-06-20, 07:59 AM
I LoLed. :smallbiggrin:

Me too. :smallbiggrin:

Koren n'Rhys
2013-06-20, 10:01 AM
Wow, good thing we don't really need to be silent and deadly right now, eh? Those rolls are all horrible.

Nevaera
2013-06-20, 11:00 PM
Depends how you look at it.
If you were rollin' Status, they'd be terrific! :smallbiggrin:

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-21, 05:32 PM
ASH

Ash states her opinion, "They're berserkers. There's no reasoning with them. They've gone mad and likely teach their young the madness, if they have any. Maybe they kidnap children and torture them until they're as mad as themselves. They're at least as aggressive as orcs, if not more. It was dangerous to spare one and it'll be far more regrettable to allow it to live further. His mind is his body's, not the other way around. And his body wants to kill."
Sounds like Reavers! :smalleek:

Nevaera
2013-06-21, 11:56 PM
Hah! I know right? :smallbiggrin: I guess I got a little carried away. I suppose I wanted to spook everyone a little. Plus - it seemed plausible. :smallsmile:

Heh, I just realized, my desktop backdrop is of Firefly. :smalltongue:

Frivolous
2013-06-23, 12:23 PM
Roland, may we have a guessimate as to how close we are to the temple? Like, how many more days before we arrive?

Bran plans to ask for one of the casters to prepare Detect Magic if possible, since the temple is probably full of dark magic.

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-23, 02:16 PM
Roland, may we have a guessimate as to how close we are to the temple? Like, how many more days before we arrive?

Bran plans to ask for one of the casters to prepare Detect Magic if possible, since the temple is probably full of dark magic.A solid suggestion. You're still several days from Verge, the small town on the other side of the mountains. From there several days into the wilderness (I'm away from my maps right now, so I can't say exactly).

Battlemage
2013-06-23, 02:21 PM
I don't have Detect Magic. :smalleek:

I'm too used to it being a default cantrip, so I didn't even think about it.
Hopefully Neela is more useful.

Nevaera
2013-06-23, 03:38 PM
I'm not sure she has it either, actually. I think she has read magic and identify, along with sleep, magic arrow/missile, read language and detect evil.

Perhaps there's somewhere in Verge that a magician will be willing to sell/trade the spell to us or something.

Perhaps you could offer to trade invisibility with her for a spell of hers as well. ^_^ Like read language, detect evil, or identify. I believe that is a matter to be dealt with in character however.

Last time, with our elf and our human mage, the mage asked the elf if they could share spells once and the elf got so irate and offended about it that they flipped out on the mage and stormed off - very protective of his magic I suppose.
He was a quirky, grumpy, loner elf with a knack for getting into trouble and surviving by the grace of his allies. :smalltongue: Kept things very interesting. :smallbiggrin:

Frivolous
2013-06-23, 03:50 PM
According to my (very old) book, clerics have Detect Magic as a 1st level spell.

So there should be no problem. We can forego a bit of healing, I think. Better to be able to check for evil magic traps or something.

Nevaera
2013-06-24, 08:10 AM
Whoohoo! I'm not usually big into research cause I find these books a little daunting (a haystack of information -wow, I'm so unlike Ash). Now we don't have to worry! :D

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-26, 01:20 AM
Injured party members heal 2 hp for a night of rest. If anyone still needs healing, Alanna or the priestess can use magical healing.

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-26, 11:11 PM
Alertness: (1D20)[20]
Of course, NOW I roll the twenties :smallyuk:

Alertness:(1D20)[20]

Alertness DC13: (1D20)[20]

I think Alertness is cursed. :smallconfused: Maybe the group name should just be Companions?

Nevaera
2013-06-27, 09:44 AM
LoL! You're just chock full of these, Roland. :smallamused:

Nevaera
2013-06-29, 09:10 AM
ASH

Ooh, I wonder if they have an underground town or something in here... or a platoon, or a hidden city. I don't know, but dwarves, you know?
Eehee :smallbiggrin: I'm excited.

Nevaera
2013-07-03, 09:03 PM
Heheh, I think Ash's armor - since it's magical - is immune to dirt. :smallbiggrin:

Roland St. Jude
2013-07-05, 12:11 PM
Sorry for the delay. I'm hosting a large all-weekend party this weekend, so the next IC post may be today or tomorrow.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-07-05, 07:35 PM
I've been crazy busy at work covering others out on vacation, so no worries. Next week will be bad too, so light posting from me...

Matthew
2013-07-08, 01:08 AM
I have had a lot of work on recently, as well, so please forgive any tardiness. Anyway, I hope the weekend party went well, Roland!

Roland St. Jude
2013-07-08, 07:30 PM
The party was wonderful. Now back to work (and regularly scheduled play!) :smallsmile:

Battlemage
2013-07-12, 06:08 PM
I looked through the rules about learning spells, but I couldn't find anything about how long the inscribing into the spellbook actually takes. Can I assume the trade between Neela and Duran was done in the one evening or does it take longer?

Nevaera
2013-07-14, 11:57 AM
Nah, I don't have any pressing business for Ash at the moment.
:smallsmile:

Roland St. Jude
2013-07-14, 04:28 PM
I looked through the rules about learning spells, but I couldn't find anything about how long the inscribing into the spellbook actually takes. Can I assume the trade between Neela and Duran was done in the one evening or does it take longer?I believe the standard time is 1 week/spell level. I'll (generously) rule that you can do it while traveling, if someone else leads your horse while you're on it. And it'll take all your attention while riding and on breaks (when you'll do the necessary scribing). You and Neela will basically be unaware of your surroundings while traveling but can learn each others spells in two weeks.

Nevaera
2013-07-15, 07:43 PM
If it's Ash's turn for watch, here's an alertness roll.
DC13: [roll0]

Battlemage
2013-07-17, 10:04 AM
Reading through the book I, once again, couldn't find anything about it, but does this edition allow memorizing lower level spells in higher slots? For travelling another Sleep or Magic Missile seems more useful at the moment than Invisibility.

Also I love how Disintegrate (my thematically absolute favorite spell in D&D) is just a complete Save-or-Die here, no ifs or buts.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-07-17, 10:07 AM
To my knowledge, no, you can't swap out spells that way in the older editions. It was a "feature" of 3.5 and such. Up to Roland to make a call on allowing it though.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-07-17, 10:38 AM
Hmm. Quiet as a mouse but not as hidden as he thinks he is, or wants to be. Hopefully the poor pre-dawn light mitigates that a bit.

Roland St. Jude
2013-07-17, 01:28 PM
Reading through the book I, once again, couldn't find anything about it, but does this edition allow memorizing lower level spells in higher slots? For travelling another Sleep or Magic Missile seems more useful at the moment than Invisibility.That is not a feature of this edition.

Also I love how Disintegrate (my thematically absolute favorite spell in D&D) is just a complete Save-or-Die here, no ifs or buts.Hard core.

Frivolous
2013-07-19, 11:12 AM
If I may ask, Roland: orcs or ogres?

Battlemage
2013-07-19, 11:15 AM
Orcres! :smallbiggrin:

Roland St. Jude
2013-07-19, 11:33 AM
Orcs. I'll fix the IC.

Battlemage
2013-07-19, 11:43 AM
Can you shoot into melee? I was doing Dural's action on the assumption that you couldn't in this edition (which is what googling the matter got me as result).

Koren n'Rhys
2013-07-19, 11:48 AM
By the book it's risky. I'm taking the chance given 3 orcs and just two party members. I've done it in the past without Roland calling me on it, so maybe he just lets it go if it's reasonable? I haven't rolled a 1 while trying yet - as a DM that's the only time I'd make an issue of it in my campaign.

Roland St. Jude
2013-07-19, 01:06 PM
Can you shoot into melee? I was doing Dural's action on the assumption that you couldn't in this edition (which is what googling the matter got me as result).You can, but as Koren notes, it's risky. Before I get into that, the default for this edition is that you can try to do pretty much anything. If it isn't covered by some specific rule, the DM decides on a probability and resolves the action.

On shooting into melee, RC has two possible mechanics for resolving this: 1) cover and 2) partial targets. I use the cover rules (page 108) as the default. Depending on the circumstances, your ally provides some cover for the for. I take your roll, assess the penalty, and one of three things happens: 1) you roll well enough to hit even with the penalty - a hit; 2) you roll so poorly, you would have missed even without the penalty - a miss; 3) you roll in the range effected by the cover - you hit the cover. Basically, depending on your angle, relative sizes, etc., your ally becomes a -1 to -6 (5% to 30%) chance possibility of being struck. The partial targets rule might apply if an ally is running through the field of fire or the target is running through the gauntlet of allies, or something similar. That rule is also on page 108 of the RC.

Oh, but one thing you can try but will almost never work, per the rules on p. 108, is do a missile attack at a target within 5' of you. Unless the target is paralyzed or the like, they can easily avoid or misdirect your fire. The rule says such attacks will "not normally work," so they might in certain circumstances, though.

I feel like this was mentioned sometime previously, but search is down, so I can't dig it out. Maybe I'll just link to this post in the OP for future reference.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-07-19, 01:36 PM
Thanks for clarifying just how you do it, Roland. I try to picture the scene from Mycah's POV and decide if he'd risk the shot or not. Sounds like that's what you're doing too to decide the penalty.

Battlemage
2013-07-19, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the info, good to know for the future.

Roland St. Jude
2013-07-19, 03:19 PM
Thanks for clarifying just how you do it, Roland. I try to picture the scene from Mycah's POV and decide if he'd risk the shot or not. Sounds like that's what you're doing too to decide the penalty.Exactly. There's definitely a judgment call on how much cover the foe is getting from the ally/allies. So far it's been pretty low because archers have moved to a good angle or fired at one of several meleers (where it's easy to justify that one picked the clearest one to aim for), so I don't think we've had any friendly fire damage yet.

Nevaera
2013-07-19, 06:27 PM
Hey, I noticed that Ash's attack roll would have hit AC 4 and that Brandon's successfully hit AC 5. I was wondering if maybe the orc Ash had attacked may have had better armor or something?

I just remembered that I was charging too. In 3.5, that adds to a +2 attack bonus, but in this it may perhaps give a penalty.

Roland St. Jude
2013-07-20, 01:33 PM
Hey, I noticed that Ash's attack roll would have hit AC 4 and that Brandon's successfully hit AC 5. I was wondering if maybe the orc Ash had attacked may have had better armor or something?

I just remembered that I was charging too. In 3.5, that adds to a +2 attack bonus, but in this it may perhaps give a penalty.I just saw the roll was 9 and knew that was a miss. How did your THAC0 get to 13? I assume you're just subtracting bonuses from that side of the equation instead of adding them to your attack roll? If so, that's fine, and your attack there should have hit; it just wasn't what I expected, so I made a quick assumption about the 9. Just remind me how you got to 13 and I'll remember to look for it next time. :smallredface:

In this edition, charging is a special attack of some monsters and a thing fighters, dwarves, and elves can do from horseback with a lance. Either has the potential to do double damage, but may be painfully preempted by a set spear vs. charge move. It is also a purely descriptive thing that might net one a minor situational bonus (or effect enemy morale), but for unmounted meleers, it's not standard combat maneuver with fixed effects.

Matthew
2013-07-20, 10:00 PM
Probably best to write THAC0 as unmodified and modified [e.g. THAC0 17(13)]; that way it is clear that there are bonuses in play not being applied to the die roll. As with D20 versions of the game modified THAC0 (or AB) is likely to change depending on the weapon wielded. I do the same for armour class (the actual class is modified by shield, dexterity, et cetera) and hit points (total and current).

Nevaera
2013-07-21, 11:20 AM
I just saw the roll was 9 and knew that was a miss. How did your THAC0 get to 13? I assume you're just subtracting bonuses from that side of the equation instead of adding them to your attack roll? If so, that's fine, and your attack there should have hit; it just wasn't what I expected, so I made a quick assumption about the 9. Just remind me how you got to 13 and I'll remember to look for it next time. :smallredface:

In this edition, charging is a special attack of some monsters and a thing fighters, dwarves, and elves can do from horseback with a lance. Either has the potential to do double damage, but may be painfully preempted by a set spear vs. charge move. It is also a purely descriptive thing that might net one a minor situational bonus (or effect enemy morale), but for unmounted meleers, it's not standard combat maneuver with fixed effects.

Oh, gotchya. ^_^

Okay, the way I got 13 Thac0 was:
my base thac0 as a fighter is now 17 cause I'm 4th level.
I've trained in sword two levels. Brings it down to 15.
Then it's a magical sword of +2 [w/ +3 vs. regenerating creatures]

Sound about right?
Would have only done 1 damage anyways. :P

Roland St. Jude
2013-07-21, 11:41 AM
Oh, gotchya. ^_^

Okay, the way I got 13 Thac0 was:
my base thac0 as a fighter is now 17 cause I'm 4th level.
I've trained in sword two levels. Brings it down to 15.
Then it's a magical sword of +2 [w/ +3 vs. regenerating creatures]

Sound about right?
Would have only done 1 damage anyways. :PSounds exactly right.

Nevaera
2013-07-21, 11:46 AM
:D

So, I should start posting my attacks more like this maybe:

Thac0: 17
Attack: 1d20+4

?

Battlemage
2013-07-21, 11:51 AM
Oh right, weapon training gives to-hit bonuses. I totally forgot that so far.:smallbiggrin:

Matthew
2013-07-22, 06:18 AM
Man, the "level of skill" stuff always seemed whacked to me. If Nathros trains in the pole-axe he gets +2 extra to hit and a further +3 to damage, a −1 bonus to AC, plus the ability to deflect incoming attacks. Is that right?

Nevaera
2013-07-22, 09:40 AM
Cause he's a Dwarf?

That's pretty kick-butt.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-07-22, 09:51 AM
Nope, that's just the next level of mastery as you move up the ranks of Weapons Mastery from the RC. Crazy stuff sometimes.

Lot's more cool stuff to do than just get some plusses like you do with specialization in AD&D.

Nevaera
2013-07-23, 09:41 AM
:O What? Seriously? Holey swiss cheese, batman!

Cause it's a poleaxe? Are those better than swords and bows or anything like that? Or have I missed something else?

Koren n'Rhys
2013-07-23, 09:54 AM
There's a big 2-page table with every weapon listed. With WM, when you level up and get a new weapon slot, you can either train in a new weapon at the Basic level of proficiency, or increase your skill with an existing one. It runs from Basic -> Skilled -> Expert -> Master -> Grand Master with increasing benefits as you go. At each level it's harder to find a teacher, more expensive to train, and harder to successfully do so. IMO, it's a cool system but can get out of control if you go too far with it.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-07-23, 10:01 AM
OK folks, here's my deal. Leaving in the morning for vacation through the weekend, partially camping, but not likely to be online even when I'm not in a cabin. I guess you'll just have to drag Mycah along and try not to get him killed - Ash would be heartbroken. :smallbiggrin:

I want to apologize if I haven't really been active enough this summer. While the weather is nice, I'm just not tied to the computer as much. Outside until dark in the evenings and out more on weekends, also busier at work and out of the office more often. I imagine that's the case with most everyone since the game has slowed so much lately, but I just wanted to throw it out there.

Frivolous
2013-07-23, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't worry about it, Koren. We have so many players it's quite easy for the game to move at a moderately fast pace even though not everyone posts that often.

Nevaera
2013-07-24, 09:52 AM
There's a big 2-page table with every weapon listed. With WM, when you level up and get a new weapon slot, you can either train in a new weapon at the Basic level of proficiency, or increase your skill with an existing one. It runs from Basic -> Skilled -> Expert -> Master -> Grand Master with increasing benefits as you go. At each level it's harder to find a teacher, more expensive to train, and harder to successfully do so. IMO, it's a cool system but can get out of control if you go too far with it.
Right, I've seen that before. I didn't know Nathros has further trained his poleaxe fighting.

Oh my gosh! I found the Table you mentioned. :O I never saw/read that before. I think I have more bonuses to things cause of my sword.

I am skilled in normal sword. I would get the flat +2 Att. of course.
Now it also says:
Dmg: 1d12 (instead of 1d8?)
-2AC/1 (does this mean I'd have a bonus -2 to my AC as long as I am only attacked once that round?)
Deflect(1) + Disarm (I don't know what this means.)

---

I agree. No worries about that. :smallsmile:
Sometimes I forget for an entire weekend cause I'm so distracted and then I check on Monday and catch up. (Most of the time, it's been slow. ... sometimes there was a combat that's begun. >.< But that's really rare. ^_^ )

Matthew
2013-07-24, 11:00 PM
Nathros has not trained, hence the "if". In all honesty, I am loathe to do so, since it will just further increase the gap between weapon choices (+6 to hit, 1d10+7 damage and other bonuses compared to +1 to hit and 1d6+1 damage with, say, short sword or spear). On the other hand, it could be argued that he is not pulling his weight if he does not, which would weigh heavily in the future if the party suffered a bad defeat for want of a couple of points to hit and damage. :smallfrown:

Roland St. Jude
2013-07-25, 02:04 AM
Right, I've seen that before. I didn't know Nathros has further trained his poleaxe fighting.

Oh my gosh! I found the Table you mentioned. :O I never saw/read that before. I think I have more bonuses to things cause of my sword.

I am skilled in normal sword. I would get the flat +2 Att. of course.
Now it also says:
Dmg: 1d12 (instead of 1d8?)Correct.

-2AC/1 (does this mean I'd have a bonus -2 to my AC as long as I am only attacked once that round?)Almost. It means you get -2 to your AC against the first attack each round.

Deflect(1) + Disarm (I don't know what this means.)Deflect(1) means that in addition to your normal attack(s) each round, you can attempt to deflect one melee or thrown weapon attack each round by making a Save vs. Death Ray.

Disarm is a special attack you can do (instead of your normal attack). You roll for your attack as normal, if you are successful, you force a Dexterity check by the opponent, which if failed means he's disarmed.

Nevaera
2013-07-25, 10:51 AM
Woohoo!

I've got to add this nifty revelation to my character sheet. :D

---

Nathros has not trained, hence the "if".
Oh, woops. Missed the "if".

On the other hand, it could be argued that he is not pulling his weight if he does not,...
Yeah... I don't think you'll be hearing an argument along those lines... at least for some time anyways. Your damage is the highest and you hit most often within our group.

Roland St. Jude
2013-07-25, 01:24 PM
For the record regarding the orcs, they aren't a DM-planned moral trap or anything. How each character acts may well effect their view of themselves or their allies. Also, foes let go may come back with their army to kill you or may go back their army and explain how overpower you are. It's up to you guys to deal with each situation as it arises, though for expediency, you may want to decide on a standard practice with prisoners so it doesn't take 3 days to hash out whether to execute them.

But I wanted you to know that I'm not making them more sympathetic to get you to save them or waiting to spring a gotcha on you when you kill them. They're just different path as far as the universe is concerned. I'll deal with how the universe reacts and you can each decide how your character is effected.

As an observation, the earliest iteration of this group trended really far in the merciful/optimistic direction (remember the pitiful kobold you rescued?) and this iteration is trending moderately far in the pragmatic/cynical direction.

Frivolous
2013-07-25, 01:46 PM
I remember the kobold. But we could talk to him. :smallsmile:

Nevaera
2013-07-25, 04:16 PM
As an observation, the earliest iteration of this group trended really far in the merciful/optimistic direction (remember the pitiful kobold you rescued?) and this iteration is trending moderately far in the pragmatic/cynical direction.
I believe this may be mainly due to Ash's influence. I play her the opposite of myself most of the time. I often have her act according to her rational side vs. the usual moral value system I personally use to decide things.
If anyone knows Myers Briggs MBTI Personality Types, I'd pretty much be an ENFP and Ash would be more like an ISTJ-ish.
The Kobold saving occurred before my time in the game.
I don't disagree with saving a life, especially if someone takes responsibility for it. I imagine, on that level, Ash and I would agree.

In a campaign my husband DMed once, there was a kobold who was upset that his dragon escaped when he was in charge of it. The party nearly executed it when it wasn't looking, but someone stopped the rogue who was about to do it. Then they talked to him and found out his problem. The deal was that the dragon would be freed back into the kobold's care and the kobold would be their guide. The kobold grew on the party so they took him with them for some reason or other. Eventually the kobold gained experience, so he became a sorcerer. After a long and treacherous battle with a much larger dragon later on, the dragon tried to escape and the kobold was hiding outside from the dangers within the mountain. When the dragon flew by, he got up enough nerve to through a spear at it. It actually hit and the dragon came crashing to the ground. He jumped for joy and immediately dubbed himself a dragon slayer. Apparently the dragon had only 1hp left. :P Now the group didn't have to worry about the dragon coming back to kick their butts later. ^_^ Good thing the rogue didn't stab him when they first met, right? :smallwink:

Matthew
2013-07-25, 10:35 PM
Nathros wanted to slay that kobold, but the group prevailed against it, though he still supposes it will betray the folk who trust it. A lot depends on how humanoids are presented in the campaign setting. The default is that they are all "evil" or "chaotic" aligned, and no reason not to suppose that is the case here. If that is the case, Nathros has no compunction about slaying them, not being due the rights of humans, demi-humans or semi-humans. Whether they are redeemable or not, and what the responsibility of a good or lawful alignment is with regard to that, casts the longest shadow on dealing with humanoid prisoners. Unless told otherwise, I typically assume that kobolds, goblins, orcs and hobgoblins re undeserving of mercy.

Frivolous
2013-07-25, 10:52 PM
A lot of the change is from experience, I feel. When we spared the kobold, we were 1st level. Not much killing yet.

By now we've killed a lot of people and creatures and nearly been killed ourselves, and we're more inured.

Matthew
2013-07-25, 11:11 PM
Well, that may well be the case for Brandon, but Nathros is as constant as the passage of time. Of course, he had plenty of experience of fighting and death before that first adventure. :smallwink:

Frivolous
2013-07-26, 09:37 AM
I felt bad all day thinking about those poor orcs.

I shouldn't have had Bran kill them, but I've been so tired this week from the 10-hour workdays that maybe my thinking is dulled.

Nevaera
2013-07-26, 11:13 AM
If it's any consolation, Nathros and Ash helped.

They were fairly pitiable though. As was stated in Matthew's post, they would have been far less considerate in determining the fate of the party had the roles been reversed.

Roland St. Jude
2013-07-26, 03:20 PM
I felt bad all day thinking about those poor orcs.

I shouldn't have had Bran kill them, but I've been so tired this week from the 10-hour workdays that maybe my thinking is dulled.Just remember:

They are entirely fictional beings
They are very thin facades of beings at that (having neither names nor substance beyond "orc, 1HD, AC 6, dmg: by weapon, etc.")
As much as we guide and direct them, our characters are not us and they live in a world of much harsher consequences and life-or-death choices than most of us.

As I said above, I certainly didn't intend for the circumstances be a moral challenge for the characters, but I don't mind that it is. The characters can, individually or collectively come up with ways to deal with that situation when it comes up again. But I definitely didn't mean for it to unsettle any of you players. I'll try to avoid that in the future.

Nevaera
2013-07-26, 04:11 PM
I figure the results will usually be the same if they are a chaotic/evil race. It's when you meet the crazy humans or the seedy elves/dwarves that there's usually more moral debate. I figure Ash's standpoint will be:
- If they knowingly tried to kill us, then we kill them right back.
- If they were under orders and disillusioned, we'll hear them out and spare who we can if they're willing to reform or if we have the means to send them to trial +/or jail.
- If they're a monster or a monster-like race, there's no point on hassling over them.
- It's easier to kill them in their sleep and tell ourselves that it was a better death for them that way. They still fell in battle.

In the end, they are still just characters of fiction, as you said.

I don't personally mind the moral dilemma (keeps things interesting), though I always mention where Ash stands on the matter at the beginning - she's very methodical. Things often seem to end up that way in the end anyways, but if anyone comes up with a solid defense for the enemies in question, she could certainly be reasoned with.

Matthew
2013-07-26, 05:31 PM
I was certainly more bothered about the slaying of the berserkers than the orcs! :smallbiggrin:

Kish
2013-07-26, 08:05 PM
The berserker seemed eager to resume combat, and might have simply launched himself at us if we'd tried to let him go. The orcs...seem like they would have been more willing to talk, had we been able to talk to them.

Nevaera
2013-07-26, 11:40 PM
I agree on both counts.

Frivolous
2013-07-27, 11:59 AM
Sheesh. I think that's a hit by Ashala, Aditi and Bran. Even at long range, 3 for 3.

How often does that happen? I think we did 12 points of damage already.

Matthew
2013-07-28, 03:53 AM
We slew four mountain men in their sleep without even troubling to wake them, that is definitely more troubling to me than the slaying of half a dozen orc captives, even begging for their lives. As I say, though, it all depends on how "orcs" manifest in the campaign world. Can they be any other alignment than chaotic? Are they redeemable? Do lawful aligned deities frown on the slaying of captive enemies, even cruel and irredeemably evil ones? Unless otherwise notified I typically assume no is the answer to these questions, but I am not particularly worried either way.

Nevaera
2013-07-28, 10:26 AM
Sheesh. I think that's a hit by Ashala, Aditi and Bran. Even at long range, 3 for 3.

How often does that happen? I think we did 12 points of damage already.

Yup, and now Dural adds another 4 to make it 16. Woohoo!

---

[ I continue talking on this subject 'cause theoretical moral dilemmas sometimes interest me. :smallsmile: ]

We slew four mountain men in their sleep without even troubling to wake them, that is definitely more troubling to me than the slaying of half a dozen orc captives, even begging for their lives.
Killing Lennie Small ("Of Mice and Men") was hard and tragic, but essentially necessary. He was nice and had good intentions (He just wanted soft bunny pets :smallfrown: ), but he was dangerous and uncontrollable. The mountain men weren't even nice or good intentioned.
Either way - to me, a painless quick death in one's sleep sounds less horrifying/terrible than being taunted with hope and doom alike then watching your brothers in arms being executed moments before you are.

As I say, though, it all depends on how "orcs" manifest in the campaign world. Can they be any other alignment than chaotic? Are they redeemable? Do lawful aligned deities frown on the slaying of captive enemies, even cruel and irredeemably evil ones? Unless otherwise notified I typically assume no is the answer to these questions, but I am not particularly worried either way.
Yep.

Matthew
2013-07-28, 10:35 AM
Killing Lennie Small ("Of Mice and Men") was hard and tragic, but essentially necessary. He was nice and had good intentions (He just wanted soft bunny pets :smallfrown: ), but he was dangerous and uncontrollable. The mountain men weren't even nice or good intentioned. Either way - to me, a painless quick death in one's sleep sounds less horrifying/terrible than being taunted with hope and doom alike then watching your brothers in arms being executed moments before you are.

It is not really about their experience of death, though, we did not even give those four the chance to speak, we just slew them and had every intention of slaying the one we kept for questioning, which we duly did. Of course, we also knew nothing of the motives of the orc war party, where we killed the mountain men because they attacked us, the orcs actually did nothing to provoke us other than be in the vicinity and be orcs. :smallbiggrin:

Nevaera
2013-07-28, 01:09 PM
True. The Dwarves did warn us of the Orcs though, leading us to believe they perceived the Orcs as a threat. When you know they are your enemy (like the fangs and the necromancer back in the caves), it's safer to attack first.

Roland St. Jude
2013-07-28, 04:22 PM
...As I say, though, it all depends on how "orcs" manifest in the campaign world. Can they be any other alignment than chaotic?No. Well, maybe. Objectively, it's possible in this universe. But no known instances exist and all civilized societies regard them as chaotic (and colloquially "evil") menaces. Tales of orcish atrocities fill many pages of the human and demi-human histories. Orcs belong to a category known as "monstrous humanoids," which is generally how they are regarded - intelligent, sentient, and not good.

Are they redeemable?Again, objectively, it is possible, though that number may be one in a million or one in a billion. Or perhaps some greater number if they were removed from orcish culture and cultivated by an Immortal for generations or something epic. But practically, no, an orc might be befriended, hired, cowed into cooperation, enslaved, but even one that is cooperative remains Chaotic.

Do lawful aligned deities frown on the slaying of captive enemies, even cruel and irredeemably evil ones?There is probably some variation on the treatment of captives among specific Immortals and for specific civil authorities, but neither the lawful Immortals nor the Karameikian Church view orcs as anything more than Chaotic menaces. Maybe there's some heretic (or lunatic) out there who preaches their redemption, but common civilized religion holds monstrous humanoids in little regard. They can be executed without any concern about government/legal liability, especially in the wild.

Unless otherwise notified I typically assume no is the answer to these questions, but I am not particularly worried either way.Basically, from a character point of view, the answer to each is "no." Only on a cosmic theoretical level is the answer a speculative "maybe."

They may be pitiful, have intelligence, and can even be bargained or dealt with, but human and demi-human society doesn't recognize any rights of monstrous humanoids (which includes, orcs, ogres, goblins, kobolds, etc.). What's said here about orcs applies to any monstrous humanoid with subtle variations on characteristics. They are all historically violent, treacherous, and all the more dangerous for their intelligence.

The rescued kobold was very young, abused by the leader kobold, and rescued by the party. He has a useful skill (and inbred trait) that made him useful to lumbermen. He might be harmless and civil the rest of his life or he might see an opportunity, have an impulse, or otherwise do something chaotic. Note: the people of Threshold are more tolerant than most and Bost's men even more tolerant than that, many places would have killed him on sight or turned you all away with him.

Matthew
2013-07-28, 11:14 PM
Sounds about right to me.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-07-29, 09:14 AM
Well, I'm back and it seems I missed the deep philosophical stuff while I was away.

Maybe I'm just a shallower person,I don't know, but this really was a non issue for me. It's a game and they were monsters. I rarely read a book or watch a movie trying to find some deep hidden meaning below the surface. I just want a bit of fiction and just try to enjoy something at face value more often than not. I mean, the Narnia books are full of Christian allegory, but I could case less. It's a fun story about magical talking animals. This in no way is a knock against you Frivolous, or anyone else who was truly bothered by how the game played out, and no judgement or offense is intended. We all get different things out of gaming, or identify more with our PCs and their actions. For my part, it's pure escapism. I just don't put that much thought into it. Props to Roland for rolling with this and being mature enough to consider his players real-life feelings as we go forward and try not to make anyone uncomfortable.

In character, I suppose Mycah, having grown up in the lumber camp knows the dangers posed by orcs and other monsters outside the safety of the town walls. The berserkers were an ongoing obvious threat and the orcs are evil by nature, so he isn't losing sleep over it.

Frivolous
2013-07-29, 09:06 PM
Roland: By any chance can we deduce or guess that the stinger has poison in it?

I think Alanna has a curative for poison, doesn't she? And Bran has one, too, but it takes a bit longer to apply, since we weren't really expecting a wyvern ambush at this juncture.

Plus I have been roleplaying Bran as not knowing what a wyvern can do. He thinks it's like a dragon.

Matthew
2013-07-30, 01:03 AM
Well, I'm back and it seems I missed the deep philosophical stuff while I was away.

Maybe I'm just a shallower person,I don't know, but this really was a non issue for me. It's a game and they were monsters. I rarely read a book or watch a movie trying to find some deep hidden meaning below the surface. I just want a bit of fiction and just try to enjoy something at face value more often than not. I mean, the Narnia books are full of Christian allegory, but I could case less. It's a fun story about magical talking animals. This in no way is a knock against you Frivolous, or anyone else who was truly bothered by how the game played out, and no judgement or offense is intended. We all get different things out of gaming, or identify more with our PCs and their actions. For my part, it's pure escapism. I just don't put that much thought into it. Props to Roland for rolling with this and being mature enough to consider his players real-life feelings as we go forward and try not to make anyone uncomfortable.

In character, I suppose Mycah, having grown up in the lumber camp knows the dangers posed by orcs and other monsters outside the safety of the town walls. The berserkers were an ongoing obvious threat and the orcs are evil by nature, so he isn't losing sleep over it.

It is not that deep, we are just looking for a moral compass to guide our actions within the framework of the game . When people are not on the same page about this stuff it can cause a conflict of expectations later. A classic example from an early [I]Dragon Magazine is the game master compelling a ranger player character to take care of a wounded wyvern. :smallbiggrin:

What a time to blow an attack roll! :smallfrown:

Roland St. Jude
2013-07-30, 01:23 AM
Roland: By any chance can we deduce or guess that the stinger has poison in it?

I think Alanna has a curative for poison, doesn't she? And Bran has one, too, but it takes a bit longer to apply, since we weren't really expecting a wyvern ambush at this juncture.

Plus I have been roleplaying Bran as not knowing what a wyvern can do. He thinks it's like a dragon.I sort of leave that up to you. I trust each player to decide whether the character would have reason to know such details. Someone with knowledge (dragons) or knowledge (mountaineering) certainly would. Someone with a particular interest in dragons might have heard the tales. Most people would not have heard of them or have heard of them as a kind of dragon. That last option is a perfectly reasonable fit for Bran, but I'd allow any other reasonable decision.

One might well suspect poison if it drops her, or I suppose on the sight of the stinger-like tail, but again, I'll leave that to each of you.

If I were asked to make a decision, I'd say Nathros knows about Wyverns from his mountain heritage and the priestesses (PC and NPC) will immediately think poison if Ash falls.

Nevaera
2013-07-30, 10:54 AM
[Ash looks at Nathros, "Don't worry, I got this." :smallwink:]

Hehe, just kidding. :smallbiggrin:

Frivolous
2013-07-30, 11:21 AM
Hmm.

Should Bran try to make and apply the anti-poison poultice, or should he just attack?

I mean, it may not be all too obvious that Ashala made her save.

Nevaera
2013-07-30, 07:42 PM
I had her shake it off and say she's fine. Hopefully there's no followup saves though, right? :smalleek: :smallwink:

It might be nice to have the anti-poison stuff ready in case something happens to someone else. To save on healing spells, I figure. If the alarm that Aditi felt is legit, perhaps we'll be needing the spells for other things. Maybe this wyvern is under someone's control. :O Like in WoW! :smalltongue: J/K. :smallsmile:

Roland St. Jude
2013-07-30, 08:56 PM
I had her shake it off and say she's fine. Hopefully there's no followup saves though, right? :smalleek: :smallwink:Oh, you'll see. No there aren't.

Nevaera
2013-07-30, 10:39 PM
Ahh, indeed. :smalltongue:
Let's see if I can't get stung a few more times before the day is out, hm? :smallwink:

Koren n'Rhys
2013-07-31, 09:03 AM
Nat 20! That's more like it. Nice rolls on your saves so far, by the way. :smallsmile:

Nevaera
2013-07-31, 09:21 AM
Whoo!
(wish I rolled my 20 on an attack too. :smalltongue: )

Thanks. ^_^ I felt lucky ... really lucky.

Battlemage
2013-07-31, 09:23 AM
Let's hope the wyvern is worse at rolling saves than you.:smalltongue:

Nevaera
2013-07-31, 02:51 PM
Hoo, yes. Let's hope.
I'd rather not watch my friends: be stabbed, turn green, and keel over. >.<
In fact, I'd be rather fine with them not being threatened at all, actually. It is a bit of an adrenaline rush though, so I'd understand a player wanting in on the action.

Hang on priestesses, casters, and hirelings! * :O * Dural is among them! :smalleek: ( - and maybe Aditi. I didn't catch if she rode up with the others or not. )

Battlemage
2013-07-31, 03:15 PM
And most of us back there will probably not survive a single hit from one of those things. Intense!

I, for one, could live just fine without ever experiencing the adrenaline rush of likely being killed.:smallbiggrin:

Kish
2013-07-31, 03:53 PM
( - and maybe Aditi. I didn't catch if she rode up with the others or not. )
I don't know, did I? She rode up enough to get the first wyvern securely in medium range of her longbow...but Aditi wouldn't have rode any closer than about 5-10 feet after where she estimated the range wouldn't interfere with her shot (I'm not sure if she could estimate that precisely enough that she would stop by 130 feet, or if she'd stay right behind Ash on the principle that she doesn't know what a THAC0 is but the closer she is the easier the shot should be to make).

Roland St. Jude
2013-07-31, 05:03 PM
I envisioned Ash and Brandon rode to the fore to absorb the initial assault. And Nathros must have dismounted and moved to the front line in order to set his spear for the charge. I envisioned him as standing between the mounted Ash and Bran on the front line.

Anyone looking to take a shot (Mycah, Alanna, Aditi, and Dural) rode up to just behind them so as to be able to fire as soon as possible. I assumed from descriptions that everyone wanted to be able to get their shot in as early as possible without charging out in front of your armored members.

Behind that group is a great mass of woodsmen, young priestesses, and Neela, who stopped their forward riding and are looking for a way to be useful.

Battlemage
2013-07-31, 05:12 PM
That's what I thought. The wand of paralyzation has 60 feet range, so if one round is not enough to get the wyvern above the priestesses/hirelings into range I'll edit my post.

Nevaera
2013-08-01, 09:41 AM
I, for one, could live just fine without ever experiencing the adrenaline rush of likely being killed.
Hahah, I suppose it's not for everyone. In real life, I don't much require it either. I certainly don't seek it out. I leave that stuff to my siblings.

---

That's how I envisioned it too.

---

Oh, I guess Dural needed to ride up to cast his magic missile spell cause it's 150' range, so you would have had to move up about 10-20 feet.

So really it's just the priestesses, Neela, and the Hirelings back there.
I guess Neela could Magic Missile one of them.
And then the Priestesses can heal anyone who might be injured, but that will put them in more danger to get to them.

I just hope the paralyzation effect works.

Roland St. Jude
2013-08-01, 11:51 AM
Oh, I guess Dural needed to ride up to cast his magic missile spell cause it's 150' range, so you would have had to move up about 10-20 feet.

So really it's just the priestesses, Neela, and the Hirelings back there.
I guess Neela could Magic Missile one of them.
And then the Priestesses can heal anyone who might be injured, but that will put them in more danger to get to them.

I just hope the paralyzation effect works.I think he moved up first in IC #292 to use his sling.

Nevaera
2013-08-01, 12:16 PM
Ahh, gotchya.

Frivolous
2013-08-02, 09:52 AM
Roland: Just realized that in my 2nd to the last IC post, Bran dropped his sword and shield in order to make the antidote poultice.

However, Bran wasn't using his sword and shield at the time. He was using his bow.

Okay if I redact that so that he still has his sword and can engage in melee with the wyvern just like Ashala is?

Please let me know also if he is close enough to use his sword. Bran was riding after Ash, so presumably if she can hit the wyvern, perhaps he can also.

Nevaera
2013-08-02, 10:43 AM
Sounds reasonable to me. I hope I'm not missing something and that Roland agrees.

Battlemage
2013-08-02, 11:20 AM
Is there any way to angle to wand to catch only the wyvern? If not how many people would I hit with it?

Roland St. Jude
2013-08-02, 03:17 PM
Roland: Just realized that in my 2nd to the last IC post, Bran dropped his sword and shield in order to make the antidote poultice.

However, Bran wasn't using his sword and shield at the time. He was using his bow.

Okay if I redact that so that he still has his sword and can engage in melee with the wyvern just like Ashala is?

Please let me know also if he is close enough to use his sword. Bran was riding after Ash, so presumably if she can hit the wyvern, perhaps he can also.You can retcon it to be that he dropped his bow since that's what he had in hand.

Is there any way to angle to wand to catch only the wyvern? If not how many people would I hit with it?No matter where he is, at a minimum, it'll hit anyone in melee with the beast. It projects a cone 60' long and 30' diameter at the far end.

He could reposition to a place where friendly fire is less likely (though that'll take time and could put him in the line of fire from missile attackers), but no angle is perfect nor is judgment about precise dimensions of the cone.

Nevaera
2013-08-02, 04:49 PM
Is there a wyvern not in direct melee yet?

Frivolous
2013-08-02, 06:21 PM
I can't be sure, but I think we just killed the 2nd wyvern. It was already seriously injured, and Ash did 10 and Bran did 6.

Nevaera
2013-08-03, 12:44 PM
Yay! Time for healz! <:'l [<--- is a face]

Battlemage
2013-08-03, 12:49 PM
Does the face wear a wizard hat?

Nevaera
2013-08-03, 06:36 PM
Hehah, no, it's worried eyebrows. :smalltongue:

Roland St. Jude
2013-08-03, 10:24 PM
Note re: Nathros, this game uses a slight variation on the Keeping Characters Alive rule on RC p. 266. He can be tended to this round before his first Save vs. death and after that must make another save if injured or at the end of each 10 minutes at < 0 hp.

Matthew
2013-08-03, 10:32 PM
That would be p. 266. :smallbiggrin:

Roland St. Jude
2013-08-03, 10:56 PM
That would be p. 266. :smallbiggrin:The eyes are the first thing to go...:smallredface:

Frivolous
2013-08-04, 12:55 AM
Hope that Bran's shouted orders are the wisest course of action for everyone involved.

MMM: Since Nathros is very badly wounded (took 20 points of damage), please have Alanna use her gem for a Cure Serious Wounds instead of casting Cure Light Wounds.

Edit: I guess if they aren't the wisest, then one or more people will ignore them. :smallsmile:

By the way, what does an Ointment of Soothing do anyway?

Nevaera
2013-08-04, 03:06 AM
Those orders were the wisest I could figure.

I haven't heard what Neela has been doing, but I figure she's been using her magic and it's failed perhaps. I thought she could cast magic missile, so I expected to see one of those fly out at some point. Maybe I missed it though. >.<

Frivolous
2013-08-05, 10:27 AM
Ooh, Mycah got a natural 20.

Remind me again: Does that do anything special in this edition of D&D?

Nevaera
2013-08-05, 11:08 AM
Thinkin' it's still a critical hit.

---

I'm not suggesting that this is a safe idea for Mycah, nor a pattern he should adopt, but it seems every time he knowingly goes in for a dangerous attack in melee, he gets a 20 or at least a successful "backstab" from being a thief. :smallamused:

Koren n'Rhys
2013-08-05, 11:20 AM
I have been pretty lucky with that, haven't I? I'm not going to complain, that's for sure.

I'm pretty sure Roland has house-ruled it as a crit for max damage, BTB in this edition though it's nothing special, not even a guaranteed hit.

Roland St. Jude
2013-08-05, 12:11 PM
I'm pretty sure Roland has house-ruled it as a crit for max damage, BTB in this edition though it's nothing special, not even a guaranteed hit.Truth. I've added it to the OOC first post "houserules added during play" list. BTB, it's nothing. Here, I think it's going to be usually max damage and usually a hit even when it wouldn't be.

Frivolous
2013-08-05, 03:13 PM
We've been lucky in our rolls until this round. :smallannoyed:

Hope Ash and maybe Neela can hit.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-08-05, 03:52 PM
For sure. It doesn't need a chance to hit back. All we need is one more round with a couple of decent hits...

Battlemage
2013-08-06, 03:01 PM
Skill rolls to see if Dural knows what parts of a wyvern might be useful for magical or alchemical endeavors:

Alchemy (Int 14): [roll0]
Knowledge Arcana (Int 14): [roll1]

Frivolous
2013-08-06, 04:13 PM
We were able to extract a favor from Merlinda for the displacer beast corpse. I'm hoping the 3 wyverns might be similarly useful.

Oh, by the way, Roland, I have an Alignment question:

Do you think that it is Chaotic to use poison?

What if you're using poison against a really nasty critter like, say, a dragon?

Roland St. Jude
2013-08-06, 06:06 PM
Animals use poison and they're mostly Neutral. For PCs to use poison...civilized society frowns on it, particularly death poisons, stunning and paralyzing poisons too, but less so. What you do toward monsters out in the wilderness, society doesn't care so much. Immortals vary and probably don't care too much one way or the other as long as you're fighting Chaotic-types.

One would be wise to develop a skill (or a Skill) related to poison before trying to extract or use poison.

Roland St. Jude
2013-08-13, 11:01 AM
We need Mycah or Aditi to drive the wyvern nest action. I'm willing to run with either but I don't want to the be one deciding what you do next.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-08-13, 01:37 PM
Sorry guys, let me get something up for you.

FYI, heading to indianapolis for GenCon Thursday thru Sunday to focus to some face to face gaming goodness and don't expect to be online at all. Woo hoo!

Nevaera
2013-08-14, 09:23 AM
I didn't explicitly say that she left most of her equipment at the base of the aerie with Mycah's; unless saying so now is a problem, she did. If that doesn't work, she's likely to need to make an extra trip, but will leave all of her equipment except her empty pack and her dagger behind before climbing back up to get however many coins we left behind.

Since Mycah did leave his things, being a new adventurer that she is, I'm sure she'd follow his example.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-08-14, 04:36 PM
Back at the bottom in one piece - yay!

And with that, my friends, I am out to GenCon. Catch you on Monday!

Nevaera
2013-08-14, 08:57 PM
Ooh, lucky you.
*waves* Have fun! ^_^

Edit: My husband and I were thinking we should try and make it to one of those in the next couple years before my daughter starts school.
I've never been to a Con. before, but I think this would be a blast.
It'd be great to see a bunch of different GM styles and the different types of players out there too.
We do solo campaigns a lot and I think that going to a convention could help us add new elements to our somewhat redundant styles.

Frivolous
2013-08-16, 02:32 PM
Do we move on from here, assuming we've collected all the wyvern teeth and so on?

By the way, I think Nathros is still badly wounded. He only has a few HP at the moment.

Nevaera
2013-08-16, 04:33 PM
Yeah, Ash tried to patch him up but to no avail.

Perhaps Alanna can heal him before everyone camps tonight.

---

If the party reaches the X long before camp, they might have to investigate it carefully before sleeping.
If they can find somewhere safe to camp or keep enough distance from the X, then they can probably scout it out in the morning - when everyone has their spells and health back.

Matthew
2013-08-18, 07:24 AM
I dunno. Nathros rolled shockingly bad for hit points this level, so he only has a maximum of 14. He took 20 points of damage, which brought him down to "−6", but I am not clear if that counts against healing or not. Roland will have to clarify whether the +9 hit points healed brings him to 3 or 9 hit points.

Roland St. Jude
2013-08-18, 09:25 AM
I dunno. Nathros rolled shockingly bad for hit points this level, so he only has a maximum of 14. He took 20 points of damage, which brought him down to "−6", but I am not clear if that counts against healing or not. Roland will have to clarify whether the +9 hit points healed brings him to 3 or 9 hit points.Off the cuff, I'd say 3.

Nevaera
2013-08-18, 09:51 AM
Yowzaz, I thought we stopped at 0 for some reason. >.<

Alanna needs to send him a heal.

If only Penny had not been in such a daze when she healed Ash and had instead healed Nathros. :P ( I still had 10hp when she'd healed Ash >.< )

Koren n'Rhys
2013-08-19, 09:40 AM
Ooh, lucky you.
*waves* Have fun! ^_^

Edit: My husband and I were thinking we should try and make it to one of those in the next couple years before my daughter starts school.
I've never been to a Con. before, but I think this would be a blast.
It'd be great to see a bunch of different GM styles and the different types of players out there too.
We do solo campaigns a lot and I think that going to a convention could help us add new elements to our somewhat redundant styles.

Back home, post-Con and 12 hour drive. Great fun, quite a bit poorer. Unfortunately, my daughter tried Magic the Gathering and loved it. I managed to avoid it myself for 20 years now. <sigh>

I think you'd have a great time no matter what you end up doing while you're there. Going last year was my first Con ever, too, so you might as well dive right in! It's a long three days with hordes of people, so it's pretty exhausting, but worth it since you get exposed to so much while you are there. We actually spend a lot more time playing in demos of games we don't have, and playing new boardgames. Not much RPGing at all.

Nevaera
2013-08-19, 05:20 PM
Oh, I see! Still sounds like quite an experience. I do believe the hordes of people would be overwhelming, but worth a shot if it's not too stuffy and if there's still a lot of demos and games to play. I suppose there wouldn't be a lot of roleplaying when everything's probably rushed like that.

Why is everyone so certain an illegible map leads to anything relevant to our lives,...
Heheh, I know right? :P
I figure they just love the adventure and chance of treasure. Doesn't have to make sense really. If I was the only player, I'd probably do the same, but with a group, I can afford to have differing opinions IC and still get the fun and loot. :smallbiggrin: Mwahahha

Matthew
2013-08-20, 12:22 PM
Off the cuff, I'd say 3.

Understandable, though I would have preferred 9. :smallbiggrin:

Unfortunately, my daughter tried Magic the Gathering and loved it. I managed to avoid it myself for 20 years now. <sigh>

Nnnnooooo! Maybe get her the computer game versions? :smallwink:

Roland St. Jude
2013-08-24, 11:08 PM
Nnnnooooo! Maybe get her the computer game versions? :smallwink:I've been playing the Duel of Planeswalkers 2014. It's got pretty graphics, a very good tutorial, and multiple difficulty settings. It has a campaign setting with a bit of a story arc, a sealed deck mode, and some puzzles (like you have one turn to defeat your opponent with this layout). Overall, a nice way to play without breaking the bank. I think I paid $10 on Steam, and I'd estimate at least 60 hours of play before I'm going to feel enticed to purchase anything more.

I still prefer the cards, but it's a nice alternative.

----
On a game related note, let's try to get this game up to a post a day for everybody. Even if all you have to post is position or internal monologue, let's all try to check in once each day.

Matthew
2013-08-25, 03:07 AM
Yeah, sorry, sometimes my e-mail alert does not get responded to immediately and I forget that I opened the message, which occasionally causes me to miss a day. Apologies.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-08-25, 10:00 AM
Nnnnooooo! Maybe get her the computer game versions? :smallwink:

Ha! We don't live anywhere near a FLGS, so it's not like she'll be playing in tournaments or anything, just fun games at home. Mercifully, I won't need to buy annual sets or constant boosters looking for the latest rare cards.

We did a "Learn to Play Magic" event at GenCon just since I never actually knew much about it and got some 30 card starter decks, then I spent all of $20 on a box of ~1200 mixed old cards so she can paw through those and build a few decks. Something to have fun with, that's all.

The software things sounds interesting. Steam, so PC only? I'd be more inclined to try a tablet app if such a thing existed. I briefly looked, but didn't see much to actually play, mostly management things instead.

Battlemage
2013-08-27, 04:57 AM
Hey guys. Due to some unexpected real life circumstances I find myself with a sudden lack of both time and energy for the foreseeable future. Because of that I sadly will have to drop out of the game. Really sorry about that. I very much enjoyed playing and hope that you can find a quick replacement. Take care and have fun!

Matthew
2013-08-27, 05:27 AM
That is a pity. It was fun having you along. Hope life calms down a bit for you soon, and feel free to drop back by when it does!

Koren n'Rhys
2013-08-27, 08:44 AM
Sorry to hear that - good gaming to you Battlemage. C'mon back when you have time!

Nevaera
2013-08-27, 08:52 AM
Yes, what they said. I hope you can come back soon, if things settle down. Take care. ^_^

Roland St. Jude
2013-08-27, 10:34 AM
That is a pity. It was fun having you along. Hope life calms down a bit for you soon, and feel free to drop back by when it does!Agreed. Immortals willing, we'll still be here. Best wishes to you until then!

Kish
2013-08-28, 05:39 AM
Hey guys. Due to some unexpected real life circumstances I find myself with a sudden lack of both time and energy for the foreseeable future. Because of that I sadly will have to drop out of the game. Really sorry about that. I very much enjoyed playing and hope that you can find a quick replacement. Take care and have fun!
Sorry to hear that. Good luck.

Gwendol
2013-08-29, 03:44 PM
Rolling for character:

STR [roll0]
DEX [roll1]
CON [roll2]
INT [roll3]
WIS [roll4]
CHA [roll5]

Gwendol
2013-08-29, 03:46 PM
More than two ability scores below, so re-rolling.

STR [roll0]
DEX [roll1]
CON [roll2]
INT [roll3]
WIS [roll4]
CHA [roll5]

Gwendol
2013-08-29, 03:47 PM
Again. Sorry for cluttering the thread!

STR [roll0]
DEX [roll1]
CON [roll2]
INT [roll3]
WIS [roll4]
CHA [roll5]

Kish
2013-08-29, 03:49 PM
Hello! I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're not playing a cleric!

Gwendol
2013-08-29, 03:50 PM
Is it <=6 or strictly <6? If the latter then I guess my first set of scores are admissable.

Hello! Yeah, with these rolls I don't quite know what to play! A redshirt maybe :smallsmile:

Koren n'Rhys
2013-08-29, 03:52 PM
Second set is a decent M-U.

Welcome aboard!

Gwendol
2013-08-29, 03:54 PM
Thanks! Ok, if that's admissable I'll start on the sheet. M-U it is!

Gwendol
2013-08-29, 03:59 PM
Rolling for HP
HP [roll0]

Gwendol
2013-08-29, 04:04 PM
And gold
gold [roll0]