PDA

View Full Version : Quicklings?

Uhtred
2013-05-18, 01:05 AM
So one of my favorite pastimes is looking at D&D minis, finding cool monsters that way, then introducing them to my players. That's how I found Quicklings, and looking them up I sort of fell in love with their entry in the Pathfinder Bestiary. 120ft movement speed? Yes please! Invisibility when standing still? THAT, please! Normally attacks in groups of about a dozen, and there are ten minis? Give me all of them! So excited! And the player I intend to level them at is a half-ogre Goliath with a gnarly attack bonus and a super-powerful Minotaur Greathammer, so a band of invisible speedsters sounds like the perfect response to a high Str mod.
But is it a balanced monster in a 3.5 campaign? Has the Quickling ever appeared in a 3.5 book? I remember hearing that 3.5 materials and Pathfinder materials were practically interchangeable, but is that really the case with a monster like this?

JadePhoenix
2013-05-18, 01:46 AM
I'm pretty sure there is a version for quicklings in 3.5 (they show up in one of the Drizzt books, btw). Maybe Fiend Folio?

inuyasha
2013-05-18, 02:09 AM
get necromancer games Tome of Horrors. It has quicklings (and all the other 1e and 2e monsters never converted)

otakumick
2013-05-18, 03:46 PM
I'm pretty sure there is a version for quicklings in 3.5 (they show up in one of the Drizzt books, btw). Maybe Fiend Folio?

pretty sure that Drizzt book is 2nd edition time frame... after all, it predates the time of troubles... just like most of the the books in that series predate the spellplague that heralded 4th edition... which means Drizzt spans at least 3 editions

ericp65
2013-05-18, 03:51 PM
Quickling is also one of three subraces of the Faen race in Arcana Evolved.

Skysaber
2013-05-18, 04:41 PM
Quickling conversion stats are all over the map.

In 1e & 2e, the Quickling had a movement rate 8 times higher than that of base characters. The Creature Catalog and other conversions faithfully copy this into 3.x by granting them a Move of 240ft.

Tome of Horrors takes a LOT of liberties in its conversions (and most of their 'fixes' are to 'correct' monsters back into being 'a sack of hp', by 'normalizing' whatever they once stood out for). They cut that movement speed down to 120. I think there was even an official 3.5 print that gave them 80ft Move.

I think all reprints give them the same SLAs and invis when standing still. But some grant them the Supernatural Quickness quality and an extra partial action per round. I know the Creature Catalog and other faithful reproductions do.

JadePhoenix
2013-05-18, 05:31 PM
pretty sure that Drizzt book is 2nd edition time frame... after all, it predates the time of troubles... just like most of the the books in that series predate the spellplague that heralded 4th edition... which means Drizzt spans at least 3 editions

Yeah, I know. I mentioned that only because I thought he might be interested in the book, since he likes quicklings.
Not only has Drizzt spanned 3 editions, two-weapon fighting rules changed to be more and more like him to the point where the best TWF weapon in 4e is the scimitar.

otakumick
2013-05-18, 08:13 PM
I've pretty much ignored 4th other than Neverwinter... but I wonder how the realms will react to 5th edition... a trouble of spellplagues? the time of wait how do we explain this?

ericp65
2013-05-18, 09:10 PM
The setting doesn't care so much about rules editions. It's more a matter of back- or forward-engineering rules to use with a given setting to get things to make sense.

JadePhoenix
2013-05-18, 09:15 PM
The setting doesn't care so much about rules editions. It's more a matter of back- or forward-engineering rules to use with a given setting to get things to make sense.

Settings change because of rules editions all the time. See Spellplague, Thunder Twins or the whole mess with Dragonlance under SAGA.

otakumick
2013-05-18, 10:04 PM
Yep, 2-3 was the Time of Troubles in the realms, 3-4 was the Spellplague... I just wanna know what the in setting explanation for 4-5 will be... maybe the recreation of Mystra...