PDA

View Full Version : Odd race/class combinations that you'd still play

gurgleflep
2013-05-18, 12:09 PM
What's an odd combination that you've thought of, have played or are wanting to play that most people would call you were crazy for? Gestalt are included in this :smallbiggrin:

One I really want to play as is a drow barbarian. Something about a 5 and a half foot tall elf running around in a fit of rage with a greataxe is very amusing to me.

JellyPooga
2013-05-18, 12:19 PM
I once played a Halfling Barbarian/Druid that focused on unarmed attacks. She was awesome! She did, however, have a somewhat short lifespan (Lvl.2) and died tackling a Hobgoblin warchief into a very deep pit...ah well.

I keep getting laughed at for wanting to play a Dwarf Monk, by my group. Not because Monk is an underpowered class or anything, but because "Dwarves wear chainmail and wield an axe" if they want to do melee. I don't understand the disparity of a Dwarf Monk, myself.

Flickerdart
2013-05-18, 12:25 PM
I don't understand the disparity of a Dwarf Monk, myself.
BEHOLD! (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=6062.0) Fistbeard Beardfist, Dwarven Brawler of great power!

Eldonauran
2013-05-18, 12:44 PM
Halfling Barbarian that thinks he's a miniature dwarf and is superstitious about everything magic. He even 'sees' spirits of the dead (all in his head of course).

Amnestic
2013-05-18, 12:49 PM
Tibbit Bard with Perform (Dance)? :smallwink: I'd actually love to see if a Tibbit (in permanent Kitty form) Unarmed Swordsage could be viable.

RogueDM
2013-05-18, 12:51 PM
A friend of mine actually played a dwarven (actually duergar) monk in a campaign I ran a while back. He also had a short lifespan, but by no fault in design. The character was just an enormous prig so their cleric just... neglected to heal him, so when the forgebeast attacked he was almost immediately incinerated.

On a personal note I rolled up, but never got around to actually playing, a Gnome Totemist, the Incarnum class. Just the image of the little guy running around gnawing and clawing at people's knees was worth being virtually ineffectual because of the size/strength penalties. Decided to be boring instead and went with a Killoren Druid.

Harrow
2013-05-18, 12:51 PM
A Gnome Knight and/or Crusader. They get a penalty compared to Humans or something, but I really think that by level 9 or so the difference in actual damage output would be insignificant, and then I could play a small sized tin can cutting dragons in half. Who doesn't want to do that?

Gazebo's Bane
2013-05-18, 01:01 PM
I played a pixie barbarian. Used a greatclub; didn't trust armour; instaraged if anyone so much as looked at him sideways.

He had a brief but glorious career.

molten_dragon
2013-05-18, 01:07 PM
I played a halfling frenzied berserker once. Everyone thought it was really dumb, but really the small damage penalty from -2 STR and a slightly smaller weapon was more than made up for by rage and frenzy and power attack.

I've also wanted to play a dwarven wizard, which seems incongruous, but oddly makes a better wizard than an elf, which is the typical "wizardly" race.

JellyPooga
2013-05-18, 01:16 PM
I've also wanted to play a dwarven wizard, which seems incongruous, but oddly makes a better wizard than an elf, which is the typical "wizardly" race.

A friend of mine played a Dwarf Wizard in a low-level PF campaign not too long ago. He was one of the two characters that actually managed to survive all the way through. Nothing about Dwarves make them any poorer Wizards than any other race (and there are some truly awesome Dwarf Wizard miniatures out there too!)

Zombulian
2013-05-18, 01:36 PM
I've always wanted to play a Warforged Cleric. And I've already played a Half-Orc Diplomancer.
Recently I've had a hankering to play a Dwarf Spirit Shaman/OA Shaman, but I'm not sure if that counts as a strange combo...

Grayson01
2013-05-18, 08:23 PM
What's an odd combination that you've thought of, have played or are wanting to play that most people would call you were crazy for? Gestalt are included in this :smallbiggrin:

One I really want to play as is a drow barbarian. Something about a 5 and a half foot tall elf running around in a fit of rage with a greataxe is very amusing to me.

I have always wanted to play a Knight Kobald who road a monitor lizard. A Paladin Worforged of the silver flame.

Setra
2013-05-18, 09:17 PM
Dunno how odd of a combo it really is but a Pixie Psion might be fun.

I personally think half the stuff my boyfriend makes is odd. His most recent character is a were-cerberus Swordsage, using some sort of stackable additional head template from dragon magazine. He also took the Dragon Tail feat so he has that too.

gurgleflep
2013-05-18, 09:20 PM
Dunno how odd of a combo it really is but a Pixie Psion might be fun.

I personally think half the stuff my boyfriend makes is odd. His most recent character is a were-cerberus Swordsage, using some sort of stackable additional head template from dragon magazine. He also took the Dragon Tail feat so he has that too.

There's a were-cerberus!? :smalleek:

ArcturusV
2013-05-18, 09:30 PM
I dunno. Counting ones I'd want to play but haven't? Or ones I have played as well?

Feykissed Orcish Imagist is one. I haven't run it yet, but always seemed like it'd be fun.

Half-Demon (Human) Vampire Sorcerer is one I have played, was pretty fun.

Half-Ogre Druid, always fun when I've played it. Not something I've seen played otherwise.

Wanted to play a Serpentine Lizardfolk Rogue, but haven't had the chance yet either.

Setra
2013-05-18, 09:30 PM
There's a were-cerberus!? :smalleek:
He's a werewolf, then found a template for additional heads.

gurgleflep
2013-05-18, 09:35 PM
He's a werewolf, then found a template for additional heads.

Ahh, okay. This makes more sense to me :smallsmile:

TuggyNE
2013-05-18, 09:50 PM
I'd like to play a high elf wizard.

… what?

Nettlekid
2013-05-18, 10:04 PM
This might be closer to a build than a Race/Class, but the race is important, and the class makes the race. I'd like to play a Halfling, or maybe one of the Tiny races like Jermlaine or Muckdweller, with levels in the Stoneblessed PrC. At third level they can count as an honorary Dwarf, Gnome, or Goliath. Pick Goliath, and then take the Goliath Barbarian substitution levels that turn you Large (not one size larger...Large) and just have fun exploding out two or three sizes when you're angry. I think it would be hilarious.

Sponson
2013-05-18, 11:06 PM
I've always wanted to play an Elven Bardbarian in an e6 kinda deal. Monk 1 (flurry), Barb 1 (whirling frenzy + pounce) and Bard 4 (for alter self and inspire courage cheese). He would go around and play his harp, but have a really bad temper and use unarmed strikes to punch holes in people.

molten_dragon
2013-05-19, 05:47 AM
A friend of mine played a Dwarf Wizard in a low-level PF campaign not too long ago. He was one of the two characters that actually managed to survive all the way through. Nothing about Dwarves make them any poorer Wizards than any other race (and there are some truly awesome Dwarf Wizard miniatures out there too!)

Yeah, but when you think of wizards, you don't typically think dwarves.

JellyPooga
2013-05-19, 05:54 AM
Yeah, but when you think of wizards, you don't typically think dwarves.

True enough. My friend who played one went down the whole "Dwarf with a crossbow, backed by magic" route (it was a Lvl.1 start, so basically True Strike was the only spell he prepared until he hit level 3!). I thought "cool, wizard but without the pointy hat; very dwarf"...right up until the guy told us his character wore a blue robe with stars on!

Amphetryon
2013-05-19, 06:04 AM
Muckdweller Warblade. :smallbiggrin:

gurgleflep
2013-05-19, 12:07 PM
Muckdweller Warblade. :smallbiggrin:

What's a muchdweller? :smallconfused: I've not heard of it.

Harrow
2013-05-19, 12:17 PM
They're from Serpent Kingdoms I believe. They are Tiny sized and suggested for both player characters and familiars. They also have some special attack with a Dex based DC (I think). They're... kind of weird.

angry_bear
2013-05-19, 12:24 PM
This might be closer to a build than a Race/Class, but the race is important, and the class makes the race. I'd like to play a Halfling, or maybe one of the Tiny races like Jermlaine or Muckdweller, with levels in the Stoneblessed PrC. At third level they can count as an honorary Dwarf, Gnome, or Goliath. Pick Goliath, and then take the Goliath Barbarian substitution levels that turn you Large (not one size larger...Large) and just have fun exploding out two or three sizes when you're angry. I think it would be hilarious.

That sounds amazing... I might have to steal this. lol

Flickerdart
2013-05-19, 01:20 PM
I tried figuring out how to do this with a Half-Dragon Kobold - Large Half-Dragons can fly, so not only would the tiny lizard suddenly get huge, but he'd also sprout massive wings. Sadly, Stoneblessed requires humanoid entry, so you can't be a Half-Dragon and have levels in the class at the same time unless your DM rules that the Dragon Disciple's template doesn't actually turn him draconic (so as to retain his qualifications for the class).

CTrees
2013-05-19, 02:44 PM
Svirfneblin anything.

Race unimportant, but cleric/rogue or cleric/assassin. I love the combination in general, but it's usually such a terrible mix of focus in D&D that it's not worth it. Similarly, Druid/Wizard. So bad, but I can't dissuade myself from liking the fluff. This is why I enjoy DM'ing - the bizarre combos make okay NPCs.

Really though, the stranger the race/class combo, the better in my opinion.

Flickerdart
2013-05-19, 02:54 PM
Svirfneblin anything.

Race unimportant, but cleric/rogue or cleric/assassin. I love the combination in general, but it's usually such a terrible mix of focus in D&D that it's not worth it. Similarly, Druid/Wizard. So bad, but I can't dissuade myself from liking the fluff. This is why I enjoy DM'ing - the bizarre combos make okay NPCs.

Really though, the stranger the race/class combo, the better in my opinion.
Arcane Hierophant is a spiffy Druid/Arcanist theurge that combines familiar and animal companion, and there are three PrCs I can name off-hand that progress both divine spells and Sneak Attack - Mythic Exemplar, Black Flame Zealot, and Shadowbane Stalker.

Amphetryon
2013-05-19, 04:44 PM
They're from Serpent Kingdoms I believe. They are Tiny sized and suggested for both player characters and familiars. They also have some special attack with a Dex based DC (I think). They're... kind of weird.

Exactly. I like the idea of a Diamond Mind-focused Muckdweller: a teeny little combatant doing oodles of damage based on Concentration checks.

Carth
2013-05-19, 04:56 PM
Goliath wizard, but I've never found a DM willing to waive the LA. I mean, come on, goliaths are actually a bad race for wizard, they should need to pay a level!

Rubik
2013-05-19, 05:17 PM
Tibbit Bard with Perform (Dance)? :smallwink: I'd actually love to see if a Tibbit (in permanent Kitty form) Unarmed Swordsage could be viable.Check the picture in my signature.

tadkins
2013-05-19, 05:37 PM
Probably anything found here.

http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,637.0.html

A Pleroma Aeon especially could be pretty cool to play.

Zaq
2013-05-19, 05:50 PM
I've always kinda wanted to make a goblin Bard. He'd use his powers of diplomacy to try to convince everyone that the goblins really don't deserve that nasty reputation they've been given, and you should really consider trading with them. Like, seriously. They're kinda desperate.

Fates
2013-05-19, 06:52 PM
I once had a kobold Were-Tyrannosaurus Rex, can't recall the class- warblade or barbarian, I think. He didn't last long, but it was really hilarious because I didn't let the other players see my sheet. After a few hours of pretending to be a bard, doing mostly social stuff, he was not allowed into a small town for being a kobold, at which point he smirked, and summarily turned into an enormous terror-lizard, and bit off the guard's head. He was killed within a few rounds, but it was worth it just for seeing the looks on the other players' faces. :smallamused:

Zombulian
2013-05-19, 06:55 PM
I once had a kobold Were-Tyrannosaurus Rex, can't recall the class- warblade or barbarian, I think. He didn't last long, but it was really hilarious because I didn't let the other players see my sheet. After a few hours of pretending to be a bard, doing mostly social stuff, he was not allowed into a small town for being a kobold, at which point he smirked, and summarily turned into an enormous terror-lizard, and bit off the guard's head. He was killed within a few rounds, but it was worth it just for seeing the looks on the other players' faces. :smallamused:

...Sir. You get the cookie for the day.

Coidzor
2013-05-19, 07:07 PM

I want to play a Muckdweller with a Muckdweller familiar and a Muckdweller cohort with a Muckdweller familiar and Muckdweller followers.

Entire Tribe of Muckdwellers!

Nice.

KillingAScarab
2013-05-19, 07:08 PM
I put up a thread here not too long ago because I have wanted to play a centaur (Races of the Wild monster class to start off at level 1) which then takes the half-dragon template class from Savage Progressions (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030912a). I was soliciting ideas for what to take afterwards, hoping for something I wouldn't have considered.

I didn't get any responses. Maybe people felt half-dragon is too cheesy? I tried looking for alternate versions of the monster classes, but the ones I found were worse in some ways. Half-dragon (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=f85qupbbqf824gt2nijj2scsv2&topic=9557.msg323211#msg323211) went from 3 levels of ECL to a 2 level class and poorly written, with never-ending breath weapon growth and contradictory spell casting stacking. The centaur (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=f85qupbbqf824gt2nijj2scsv2&topic=9557.msg323211#msg323211) had some nice options but could eventually plane shift by running. Someone had been playing too much Super Smash Bros. Brawl (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=291).

Zombulian
2013-05-19, 07:14 PM
I want to play a Muckdweller with a Muckdweller familiar and a Muckdweller cohort with a Muckdweller familiar and Muckdweller followers.

Entire Tribe of Muckdwellers!

IIRC people have done that with the Beguiler race as well. Specifically with the Beguiler class as well. So a Beguiler Beguiler, with a Beguiler familiar, Beguiler Beguiler Cohort, and all of the followers being Beguiler adepts focusing on lightning spells. Entire pikachu CLAN!

gurgleflep
2013-05-19, 07:45 PM
IIRC people have done that with the Beguiler race as well. Specifically with the Beguiler class as well. So a Beguiler Beguiler, with a Beguiler familiar, Beguiler Beguiler Cohort, and all of the followers being Beguiler adepts focusing on lightning spells. Entire pikachu CLAN!

Sir, you are my hero. You and the muckdweller chap!
I need these stats, STAT!! :smallsmile: Y'know, like "stat" for quick.

Zombulian
2013-05-19, 07:55 PM
Sir, you are my hero. You and the muckdweller chap!
I need these stats, STAT!! :smallsmile: Y'know, like "stat" for quick.

Mmm it's in the Shining South book I think. Supah crazy stats, can't remember them exactly. But they have some Nat attacks and a prehensile tail!

Harrow
2013-05-19, 08:13 PM
a prehensile tail

Sold. I am now putting this down on my personal list of "Things to do in a Campaign"

Flickerdart
2013-05-19, 09:47 PM
Too bad that you can only have a lycanthrope of an animal within one size category of yourself, and a were-Tyrannosaurus is an ECL21 character to start with.

Zombulian
2013-05-19, 09:50 PM
Too bad that you can only have a lycanthrope of an animal within one size category of yourself, and a were-Tyrannosaurus is an ECL21 character to start with.

Shh no one needs to know that.

gurgleflep
2013-05-19, 09:52 PM

Must have been a pretty chill DM.... that or he didn't know about ECL things (I've done that!).

OctoberRaven
2013-05-19, 09:55 PM
I've always wanted to play a Wereduck rogue whose motto is "Let's Get Dangerous!".

ArcturusV
2013-05-19, 09:58 PM
*shrug* ECL is something you don't pay too much attention to, or think you can just waive off often, until you finally get bit in the ass by it.

The "Vampire Incident" with one of my groups. Where two of the players wanted to play Vampires, and also wanted to basically be evil people taking over and extorting towns. Usual "I can kill you all, give me everything I want" sort of evil villains.

So we started out at level 9. They were Vampires with only 1 level. Didn't think too much about it. Their actions drew a CR appropriate enemy, a Cleric. Who rallied a bunch of level 1 commoners in a town they were busy extorting.

... Cleric casts a TON of bless waters.

Vampires come out to try and get their tribute. About 20 commoners just start chucking holy water at the vampires and dust them in a single round. They follow the gaseous forms back to the coffins. Smash the coffins with their wood cutting axes and douse their bodies in Holy Water.

Once something like that happens to a guy? They start to think about ECL a lot. You stop seeing the Half Troll Vampiric Red Dragon Celestial Acidborne Liches and such.

Buddha's_Cookie
2013-05-20, 12:18 AM
My idea for a half-orc thief sounds a bit plain here, but it is funny when they ask what you are and you say "I'm a thief." they laugh. I beat them unconscious and take their money.

gurgleflep
2013-05-20, 12:19 AM
I've always wanted to play a Wereduck rogue whose motto is "Let's Get Dangerous!".

DARKWING DUCK!! :smallbiggrin: I feel I may be wrong on the name...

My idea for a half-orc thief sounds a bit plain here, but it is funny when they ask what you are and you say "I'm a thief." they laugh. I beat them unconscious and take their money.

This sounds like something I could do. It's short, sweet and to the point! :smallbiggrin:

Sylthia
2013-05-20, 12:23 AM
I'd like to play a Dwarf Paladin. As a race, they'd seem to fit into the paladin mindset, but the -2 Cha hurts. The -2 Dex version of dwarves isn't much better. I know there's about 100 different types of dwarves, so if the opportunity came up and I really I wanted to, I bet I could make it work, though.

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-20, 12:26 AM
I'll play Kitsune or Catfolk/any class under the sun myself.

I don't care if the stats don't line up perfectly, I just like those races >_> I am a silly person!

gurgleflep
2013-05-20, 12:31 AM
I'll play Kitsune or Catfolk/any class under the sun myself.

I don't care if the stats don't line up perfectly, I just like those races >_> I am a silly person!

Kitsune is a foxperson right? The only one I can think of offhand in any game is AQWorlds Chaos Lord Kitsune (shaddap, it's a fun game!) and it's a Japanese yokai of some sort.
Also, which book can I find it in? :smallsmile:

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-20, 12:37 AM
It's Pathfinder - you can find it here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-kitsune).

gurgleflep
2013-05-20, 02:07 AM
It's Pathfinder - you can find it here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-kitsune).

Thank you for linking to that :smallbiggrin: It's rather interesting to say the least!

Coidzor
2013-05-20, 02:18 AM
Kitsune is a foxperson right? The only one I can think of offhand in any game is AQWorlds Chaos Lord Kitsune (shaddap, it's a fun game!) and it's a Japanese yokai of some sort.
Also, which book can I find it in? :smallsmile:

There's also Lupines if I recall a couple of interpretations of that race correctly.

I believe they were dragon magazine, possibly dragon compendium material in 3.5.

CRtwenty
2013-05-20, 02:59 AM
I'm currently playing an Orc Samurai. From an island that's essentially feudal Japan only run entirely by Orcs who have a very Orcish view on honor and loyalty. The entire thing has wound up quite entertaining.

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-20, 03:21 AM
The only question there is, do you shout BANZAI! or WAAAAGH! when you charge into battle?

CRtwenty
2013-05-20, 03:29 AM
The only question there is, do you shout BANZAI! or WAAAAGH! when you charge into battle?

I shout out the names of my ancestors actually. But if I had to choose it'd be a "WAAAAGH!" over a "BANZAI!"

TuggyNE
2013-05-20, 04:56 AM

How about "WAAAAGZAI!"?

nedz
2013-05-20, 12:25 PM
My current games are a bit dull in this regard, but in the last 2E game I ran we had some strange characters.

A Kenku Rogue/Wizard.

A three legged Ranger Were-Dolphin.

A human chaos paladin/cleric with wings, and a third small arm for casting his spells.

A Dryad whose tree got polymorphed into a Shambling Mound.

plus several more mundane things like Trolls, Ogre Magi of and there was the Wood elf — we don't talk about that guy because it's still a bit confusing. He was a giant amoeba at one point, but ended up as a hat.

Shining Wrath
2013-05-20, 12:26 PM
I just thought of the Warforged Druid. RAW perfectly legal.

With his faithful animal companion who (by begging / bribing the DM) is also a Living Construct.

Think about it - you finally have a Druid that doesn't have to kill anything, not even plants, to survive. Truly at one with nature.

And this, friends, is how to have fun without optimizing. BTW, what sort of small town can handle a T-Rex (CR 8)? Especially one that can turn back into a kobold and hide in the sewers.

The character's name, of course, must be Grinch Greatheart.

Joe the Rat
2013-05-20, 12:49 PM
Rage-based Spriggan. Nice.

:smallcool:

Amphetryon
2013-05-20, 01:08 PM

With his faithful animal companion who (by begging / bribing the DM) is also a Living Construct.

Think about it - you finally have a Druid that doesn't have to kill anything, not even plants, to survive. Truly at one with nature.

The Landforged Walker PrC even encourages this archetype.

KillingAScarab
2013-05-20, 01:40 PM

Think about it - you finally have a Druid that doesn't have to kill anything, not even plants, to survive. Truly at one with nature.Or rather, no more plants need to be killed, because warforged have wood in their bodies. If you were built to be a compatible with druid, it's considerably more (http://dndtools.eu/feats/races-of-eberron--10/ironwood-body--1691/).

Kaustic
2013-05-20, 03:01 PM
I'm getting ready to begin playing in a Misfits of D&D game on Saturday. Our crew so far: Dwarf Wizard, Half-Ogre Ninja, Halfling Warblade, and myself as a Warforged Cleric.

ArcturusV
2013-05-20, 06:44 PM

Wouldn't the total lack of presence in the food chains and such actually make them as far from Natural as possible? Not at all part of the great cycle of life and death, prey and predator, not even feeding the scavengers when he finally deactivates?

Death is a natural part of nature, after all. As is foodening on other parts of nature. And eventually being eaten by something, even the maggots and other scavenger animals.

Marnath
2013-05-20, 07:10 PM
Or rather, no more plants need to be killed, because warforged have wood in their bodies. If you were built to be a compatible with druid, it's considerably more (http://dndtools.eu/feats/races-of-eberron--10/ironwood-body--1691/).

You don't need to take Ironwood Body to be a druid. Composite plating is mostly wood and stone anyway.

Why does it get a +10 to disguise as human? Change shape is a transmutation ability, not an illusion. In human form true seeing should be about the only thing that can blow your cover right?

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-20, 07:13 PM
Tbh, I have no idea. I usually play Kitsune as if they had their fox ears and tail always visible <. .> and under those conditions I could see having a disguise modifier being more logical than shape changing...

But I generally don't bother being at all sneaky, so like I said it just hasn't come up yet.

Nagukuk
2013-05-20, 08:12 PM
I'd like to play a high elf wizard.

… what?

Just add a comma and play a high, elf wizard.

make him a golem specialist and he can have a bunch of stoned golem companions to hang out with.:smallbiggrin:

shingshing
2013-10-13, 11:30 AM
I once had a Gnome Barbarian with the Orc Blooded feat from LG. She would always say "Grandma' liked Midgets." She was quite effective and got looks of amazement when she critted for 3x with her greataxe while raging.

Subaru Kujo
2013-10-13, 11:41 AM
Flesh Golem Cleric. If you are going for the strange stuff, may as well go all the way.

enderlord99
2013-10-13, 12:16 PM
Doppelganger Bard/Druid/Various_prestige_classes//Rogue.

Lord Haart
2013-10-13, 01:17 PM
I'd actually love to see if a Tibbit (in permanent Kitty form) Unarmed Swordsage could be viable.Been there, played that (including permanent cat form).

A Gnome Knight and/or Crusader.
dwarven wizard
My idea for a half-orc thief sounds a bit plain here, but it is funny when they ask what you are and you say "I'm a thief." they laugh. I beat them unconscious and take their money.Been there, played (or in case of half-orc facecrush rogue, built for other player to use) those.

I'm currently playing an Orc Samurai. From an island that's essentially feudal Japan only run entirely by Orcs who have a very Orcish view on honor and loyalty. The entire thing has wound up quite entertaining.
Been there, played that concept, but mechanics-wise used Druid/Swordsage in place of Samurai.

Oddest that i've played? Gnoll vampire bardowizardopaladin. The dude was A-grade power-hungry. And by "A-grade", i mean he didn't merely indiscriminately pledge his servitude to all evil deities he knew (that's trivial), but to all good ones as well (and indoctrinating yourself into Pelor's finest when you already have this-and-that arrangement with Demogorgon takes some guts). A lizardman Expert (non-magical medic focused on Heal and knowledge skills) takes the second place.

Oddest that i've convinced other player to play? A slimegirl (half-human half-gelatine cube fluff-wise, used Shardmind stats in 4e and then Ooze paragenasi stats in 3.5) sorceress, i guess?

Oddest i would possibly play? A hairy spider Binder. It's not just a tiny mindless vermin, but a tiny mindless vermin posessed by spirits-that-should-not-be on a daily basis!

Psyren
2013-10-13, 01:30 PM
Why does it get a +10 to disguise as human? Change shape is a transmutation ability, not an illusion. In human form true seeing should be about the only thing that can blow your cover right?

All Polymorph effects grant +10 to disguise in PF; the Kitsune ability is based on alter self, which is a polymorph effect.

In most cases this won't matter - if you are not "drawing attention to yourself" then others don't get to make perception checks against your disguise anyway, so you are correct that your cover would not be blown. However, if you give the people around you reason to suspect you aren't human this can change. Similarly, if you're interacting with people who are naturally being watchful/suspicious (like sentries at a checkpoint) they will get to make perception checks against your assumed form as well.

Note that the Kitsune ability actually grants +20 to disguise - +10 from polymorph and +10 racial. Therefore you are pretty much guaranteed not to be uncovered in human form.

Blackjackg
2013-10-13, 01:42 PM
This thread may be shut down soon for thread necromancy, but while it's still here... I once played a Jungle Dwarf Duskblade/Dragon Disciple with plans to finish with a few levels of Aerial Avenger.

Also on my list of character builds to try someday are a Lesser Svirfneblin Hexblade, a Neanderthal Cleric, a Warforged Paladin of Slaughter and a Saurian Shifter Ardent.

Rubik
2013-10-13, 01:50 PM
I don't have anything particularly juicy, but my friend wanted to play the ghost spawn of Cthulu (psion/thrallherd), with all four Illithid Grapple feats and the malevolence ghost ability. Possess an enemy or a thrall, and it explodes into tentacles, ready to eat face (and brains).