PDA

View Full Version : [Shadowrun 4e] Sustained Spells and resisting spells

olejars
2013-05-18, 02:03 PM
The group I game with started playing Shadowrun and I am the storyteller. One of the characters used the occult investigator out of the book just for a quick character and we came across something that we couldn't readily find in the books.

The player had Imp. Invisibility on himself and we came to a realisation that the book didn't specify how long it can be sustained. So my questions are:

1) How long can a magician sustain a spell?
2) Does concentrating take up any of the characters actions per turn? (Is it a free, simple, complex, or none of the above?)
3) To resist the effects of spell, unless you have counterspell as a skill, is just straight wisdom or body roll?

The splat books I have besides the 20th anniversary core book are unwired, street magic, augmentation, runners campanion, and arsenal.

Neo Tin Robo
2013-05-18, 04:05 PM
From what I remember:

1. No time limit, but the more spells you have going the harder it is to do anything else.
2. No, but they have to be conscious, and bear in mind the penalties above.
3. Depends on the spell; check its description.

I know all of this is covered in the magic chapter though, so another read-through couldn't hurt.

Andrewmoreton
2013-05-19, 07:57 AM
The player had Imp. Invisibility on himself and we came to a realisation that the book didn't specify how long it can be sustained. So my questions are:
1) How long can a magician sustain a spell?
2) Does concentrating take up any of the characters actions per turn? (Is it a free, simple, complex, or none of the above?)
3) To resist the effects of spell, unless you have counterspell as a skill, is just straight wisdom or body roll?

This is all in the Core book (P184 Step 7) , but the answer is indefinetly. For every spell you sustain you take a -2 penalty on ALL dice pools (except Soak) it uses up no actions. Spellcasting + Willpower(2) to maintain concentration if interrupted. I would also require such a role if the mage was keeping up the spell for a very long time. If you want to avoid the penalty get a Focus or bound spirit.
Resisting a spell is straight willpower or Body as appropriate + any counterspelling you have. Note that a mage can provide counterspelling to all freinds within LOS .
The only exception are indirect combat spells which are covered on p204

olejars
2013-05-20, 03:18 PM
Thank you for the replies!