PDA

View Full Version : Wondrous fruit

AlanBruce
2013-05-18, 03:04 PM
Greetings! I have been looking around to see if there is a specific ruling on this topic, but could not find any, so I'm hoping some great ideas can be brewed here.

My party has recently come back from a trip to the Plane of Shadow. It is likely they will make many more trips there because of the Shadow Fade spell, which they use regularly to escape any problem they cannot solve immediately in the prime material.

It so happens that during one of their many visits, they came across an orchard. A grey, muted colored orchard as the Plane of shadow would have it.

The orchard is tended by Shadar Kai, but none were present at the moment.

As such, one of the PCs ate a few apples from the orchard, which lead to an interesting question.

Would these extraplanar fruit have an effect on primes eating them? Or anyone, for that matter?

It wouldn't necessarily have to be poisonous or with evil effects, since the Plane itself is not entirely evil (although some very dangerous creatures live there), but I was hoping I could get some ideas of effects and mechanics for these fruits, if any are bnecessary.

What effect do they give?

For how long?

Do they only work in the Plane of Shadow?

Can the fruit be taken out of the plane and consumed elsewhere?

Something along those lines would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Gildedragon
2013-05-18, 03:10 PM
None are necesary. It's just fruit: funny looking but no less dangerous than any random material plane fruit.

Flickerdart
2013-05-18, 03:19 PM
They probably wouldn't have a very pronounced taste, and not be very nourishing, given that they're merely shadows of normal apples. But I see no reason why they should have an adverse effect.

AlanBruce
2013-05-18, 03:27 PM
Thank you for the responses.

I had the player eating the fruit asking if something like Shadow Weave Magic or a drow's light sensitivity should come into play. Or maybe shadow concealment.

But it would just be a dour tasting shadow apple.

mattie_p
2013-05-18, 03:33 PM
They can have whatever effect you like. For example, eating the fruit (and other shadow meals) gradually draw you deeper into the plane of shadow. Consider keeping track of their meals there, for every cumulative meal eaten there, there is a 1% chance (modified by will save) that they become adapted to the plane of shadow.

This is not necessarily an adverse effect. Consider the shadow creature or dark creature templates, modified as necessary.

Or maybe the meals are only quasi-real for characters from the PMP. While they feel full, each day without real sustenance provides a chance for fatigue and possible non-lethal damage for not eating/drinking (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#starvationAndThirst).

Waker
2013-05-18, 05:46 PM
When I saw the thread title I assumed this was going to be a topic asking how to make the Devil Fruit from One Piece.

big teej
2013-05-18, 06:55 PM
When I saw the thread title I assumed this was going to be a topic asking how to make the Devil Fruit from One Piece.

on a similar note, I was expecting something like The Tree of Might from DragonBallZ
>.>
<.<
this needs to happen.

AlanBruce
2013-05-19, 12:33 AM
I have seen that DBZ movie. A mighty tree indeed.

The question came up when one of my players began snacking on apples from a shadow plane orchard. he asked if there were any effects.

I believe some particular fruits in certain planes confer bonuses (but I am not sure with 100% veracity). So, I wanted to see if shadowy apples from this plane would have an effect, however minor if consumed at a grand scale (for example, eating 3 or more as a full course meal.)