PDA

View Full Version : trying to make a weather master

flamewolf393
2013-05-18, 04:04 PM
In a nautical campaign, the character I am making is part air spirit and part water spirit, and I am trying to figure out the best class to use to turn him into a weather/elemental master. I want to focus purely on manipulating air/water/storms. For now I am doing this by combining druid with a homebrew avatar/bender class, but I am rather unsatisfied with the result. Any suggestions you guys have would be greatly appreciated, as there really are not many official options for focusing on this.

eggynack
2013-05-18, 04:16 PM
Actually, druid is basically already the official option for this. Druids get access to just about every spell that has to do with weather and elementals (they also get some spells related to the elements). Depending on your level, you have stuff like call lightning, control weather, and blizzard. As a bonus, monster manual III has a neat monster called the storm elemental that you can get through an SNA of one level higher than any normal elemental. Druids are also great at nautical campaigns. I'd look through stormwrack for some of the nautical summon nature's ally replacements. In essence, I'm suggesting just going straight druid. They're pretty sweet at everything you want to do, and there are probably more specific things they have access to if you want them.

RFLS
2013-05-18, 04:23 PM
Seconding the druid. There's also a pretty great homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203642) class here on the forums that does exactly what you want.

Emperor Tippy
2013-05-18, 04:33 PM
What level? And over what kind of area do you want to mess with the weather?

flamewolf393
2013-05-18, 04:39 PM
Seconding the druid. There's also a pretty great homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203642) class here on the forums that does exactly what you want.

Ah, that will work quite nicely! A couple levels of water bender, then a few levels of this and I am set.

What would be some good feats to take as this character build?

Grayson01
2013-05-18, 08:12 PM
Ah, that will work quite nicely! A couple levels of water bender, then a few levels of this and I am set.

What would be some good feats to take as this character build?
Storm lord from the complete divine. You can tweak it from a Stormlord of Telos to any god or just to storms. It is also an awesome match with Druid or Cleric (Take the War Domain)
I played a Cleric Stormlord weather control and elemental summoning

Diovid
2013-05-19, 04:30 AM
Raptoran Sorcerer 6 / Stormcaster 5 / Elemental Savant 9 using the Raptoran Sorcerer substitution levels isn't bad for this.

Raptoran and it's substitution levels are from Races of the Wild, Stormcaster is from Stormwrack and Elemental Savant is from Complete Arcane.

Ask your DM for a homebrew version of the Searing Spell feat (Sandstorm) which works with Electricity instead of Fire. Born of the Three Thunders (Complete Arcane) is another must-have feat. Furhtermore, you might want to look at the Reserve feats from Complete Mage, there are a couple of Air and Electricity related ones.

flamewolf393
2013-05-19, 11:32 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas guys. The raptoran looks like it would be cool, though I already have my race. I took the sea spirit folk from oriental adventures, then gave it perfect flight and see in darkness (for a +1 LA) to make it an air spirit as well. I am basically flavoring as a Kami (japanese spirit) of air and water. So on top of these storm/air classes, do you guys know of any that would give me similar abilities to control water itself, like creating current and tidal waves and whirlpools?

CyberThread
2013-05-19, 11:48 AM
Well a weather man , tends to have skills in orintaion though...

So I would say....bard/stormcaller/green whisper

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-19, 11:54 AM
If you can take 6 ranks of knowledge (the plains) the feat Cataloges of Enlightenment planer touchstone feat can get you the ability to rebuke creatures of the air or water like a cleric rebukes undead.

This can get you multiple air and water elementals following you around, or small dragons with the air or water subtype.

There are some very handy assistance you can obtain this way.