PDA

View Full Version : Bardic Music - Fascinate and Suggestion

Rakoa
2013-05-18, 07:08 PM
A little question here for you Playgrounders. The Bardic Music ability, Fascinate, causes a creature to sit and listen quietly to the Bard play for as long as the Bard decides to play or rounds equal to his bard level.

For this example, let's take an eighth level Bard. He has a Masterwork Lute, 20 Charisma +2 from a cloak for 22 Charisma, or a +6 modifier. 11 ranks in Perform, +2 masterwork instrument, and +6 charisma make a decent Perform skill of +19. Assuming an average roll of 10, enemies must succeed on a DC 29 Will save to resist the Fascinate.

Realistically, they will probably fail. Not a big deal, because Fascinate is ridiculously restrictive. Any obvious dangers break it, and it can only last for 8 rounds at this point. Where I have a question is with Suggestion.

Suggestion allows you to, of course, cast Suggestion on the Fascinated individuals. It doesn't allow them a second save versus the Fascination nor does it break the effect. The DC is a much more reasonable 20 in this case (10+1/2 Bard level +Cha mod). This can realistically be achieved by an enemy at this level, possibly without much difficulty.

But then what? If my understanding is correct, the enemies are still Fascinated. And attempting to use Suggestion doesn't require a use of Bardic Music. My question is, can the Bard continuously throw Suggestion attempts at his victims until they fail for, in this case, 8 rounds?

I don't ask this question for balance reasons, because it is fairly minor in the grand scheme of things. I just like to know these things in case they come up.

TuggyNE
2013-05-18, 07:29 PM
Yup. Note that it's a standard action, so it's only 1/round, but still that's a lot of suggestions on a given target.

Rakoa
2013-05-18, 07:43 PM
Thank you tuggyne. I figured I had it right, but it just seemed like one of those things that may have an obscure rule saying otherwise or perhaps some errata.

tiercel
2013-05-19, 02:39 AM
Pretty sure this is right, which is another reason a lot of bards like some form of Perform (Oratory), e.g. storytelling -- you might be talking with someone, slip into "that reminds me of a story" and segue straight into Fascination/Suggestion...

Just a regular conversation, yeah? Never mind that midway through the story you slip in "these are not the druids you are looking for...."

At least it's a little less overt than hauling out your lute/drums/trumpet/masterwork musical instrument of choice in any random social setting.

(Never mind that a lot of bards like to have their hands free for, you know, actual weapons during combat.)