PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Walker, the various labels.

Traab
2013-05-18, 08:10 PM
I just wanted to ask the experienced drinkers here in the playground. Has anyone had the chance to sample their way through the various labels of this stuff and formed an opinion on its worth? Is blue label, for example, really worth spending 200 dollars more a bottle than on the red label? Or is it the sort of thing thats more about status than true quality? Where, oh yeah, its good stuff, but not THAT good. Some day, when I have 100 bucks or so to spend, and access to a bar that actually carries the full range, I may sit down to a taste test to see for myself if buying a bottle at such a price is actually worth it, or if I would rather save 200 bucks and get the basic stuff because the flavor isnt that much more impressive.

JustPlayItLoud
2013-05-18, 09:07 PM
It's mostly about status. Yes, Blue is delicious, smooth, and also delicious (did I mention that part?), but it is definitely not so much better as to warrant that price tag. It's mostly to rarely buy to kick back with your oldest, best, scotch-drinkin'est friends and enjoy a little bit while reminiscing. I find the Gold label to be 99% as good as Blue and available for $75ish if you shop around.

Either way, it's way too much to be spending on blended scotch. The true scotch snobs (like this guy) are all about single malt. I favor Bruichladdich myself.

Traab
2013-05-18, 09:25 PM
It's mostly about status. Yes, Blue is delicious, smooth, and also delicious (did I mention that part?), but it is definitely not so much better as to warrant that price tag. It's mostly to rarely buy to kick back with your oldest, best, scotch-drinkin'est friends and enjoy a little bit while reminiscing. I find the Gold label to be 99% as good as Blue and available for $75ish if you shop around.

Either way, it's way too much to be spending on blended scotch. The true scotch snobs (like this guy) are all about single malt. I favor Bruichladdich myself.

I had a feeling. I have had a few drinks of various types that are separated like this into standard, reserve, and other extra pricey, supposedly incredible vintages. And while yes, they usually are noticeably better, depending on the price difference its generally not worth it.

As an example, I recently tried out a brand of tequila, 1800. Its a good brand all things considered, but what attracted me was it had several types including one with a higher alcohol content, and some sort of reserve label. That reserve WAS good. I really liked the flavor, and because it wasnt THAT much more, (think like 10-15 bucks more for the bottle) to me its worth grabbing. But 200 dollars difference between the cheap stuff and the best stuff? It had better be orgasmically better.

JustPlayItLoud
2013-05-18, 09:34 PM
I feel like tequila is a good example for how things should be. 1800, Don Julio, Cazadores, etc. are available for $30-40 or so, and are all excellent tequilas. Patron is some of the finest available and can be sometimes had for as little $100 for a 1.75 liter bottle. Yes, there are some absurdly expensive tequilas, but to me they're Patron with really cool bottles. For the most part, you can have top shelf quality without blowing nearly $100 and the really top shelf without breaking the bank either.

Don Julio Anejo
2013-05-18, 10:20 PM
I feel like tequila is a good example for how things should be. 1800, Don Julio, Cazadores, etc. are available for $30-40 or so, and are all excellent tequilas.
Aww, stop it, you :redface:

In all seriousness, though, Johny Walker Green is absolutely amazing. Never had a chance to try Blue. It's mildly musky, extremely smooth for scotch (Black, for example, is pretty strong), has a woody flavour and an amazing smell. Worth shelling out for. Reminiscent of Chivas Regal but with more flavour.

Gold, I actually like less (despite the price tag), although that's just personal preference. Whiskey purists will probably prefer this one though, it's more like other aged scotches.

Sockpuppet
2013-05-18, 11:02 PM
I think that Black Label is certainly worth the premium price tag, it's much nice (in my opinion anyway) than red.

I own a bottle of Blue that I was given as a present once, and have never been brave enough to open it for fear of wasting it. I'm curious as to how it tastes, but it's currently doing sterling service as a status symbol on my shelf.

JustPlayItLoud
2013-05-18, 11:05 PM
Forgot about Green Label. It's good too. Extremely balanced and smooth. It's not an especially scotchy scotch. Red, Black, Gold, etc. are definitely very scotchy scotches. Unfortunately it has been discontinued since December 2011, and most supplies are gone by now. If you can find some to buy though, DO EET!

P.S: Also, just to nitpick: Johnnie Walker

JoshL
2013-05-18, 11:20 PM
Frell blended scotch. Single malt is the way to go, and the variations are what you are looking for. If you want sweet, go to the highlands. If you want peaty, go to the Isalys. Blended whiskeys are what you want if you are mixing, and you shouldn't be at the price of high end Walkers.

As far as tequilas go, you want to be looking for an anjeo (which has been aged for at least a year). There's some decent ones at reasonable prices (tres generacions is not bad). Anything gold is not bad, but anything silver stay away from. Doubly so for mezcal (tequila is a variety of mezcal, but the most common in the US). Like whiskey, the longer it sits, the tastier it becomes.

kurokotetsu
2013-05-19, 12:56 AM
Well, this is an interesting issue that depends on a few factors. Is Blue that much better than red? What are you lloking for I would ask? Blue is has a smoked, woody flavour that is stronger to the tongue tha than the sotmach. So, do you like "ight" whiskeys in the vein of J&B ro most blended "cheap" shikeys? Or to you relish the strong flavour of Lagavulin and other expensive and strong whiskeys that aren't easy to taste? Are you lloking to get drunk or enjoy the ride? Those are the things I would consider before answering any thing else. THe real question for me is what are you lloking for. I'm not a great fan in general of Johnnie Wlakers, although they are resonably priced and not bad, and owuld recommend Single Malt (blended I go more for J&B) and as my father told me "don't do whiskey pedophilia" as 18+ years are better for me, and Scotts do the best for me (with Cherry barracks, to get a slightly sweet aftertaste).

Tequila. Well that is a an interesting thing. As stated before there is a good deal of mezcal (fermentated agave cacti) is really similar to tequila. Tequila is a D.O. (as Bourdeaux, Rioja or Chianti in wines) and is sécific to a region of Jalisco, and it sint0 that different for Oaxacan mezcal. If you drink for flavour, añejo is the best, but in Mexico reposado is usually a midlde point that has decent taste and far less expensive than añejos and not a problem. It is slightly woody and good. Don't waste a decent tequila to dirnk in 5 de Mayo, silver (blanco) is enough to get you hammered with shots. In my family I think that Centenario is the go to brand, but if you ever go to Oaxaca an artesanal mezcal are far cheaper and better tha anything you can get in the standard US market.

Socratov
2013-05-23, 04:43 AM
as some of a whisk(e)y snob myself I generally like the Irish blended whiskeys, and the single malts form Scotland. I haven't had an awful lot of Johnnie Walker, (seeing how red was absolutely terrible in my not so humble opinion), but favor others instead.

I classify my whisk(e)ys into different classifications:

Every-day-dram: this is a whiskey that's not neccessarily special, and thus good for a wee dram before bedtime or just because:

Famous Grouse
Jameson
Tullamore Dew
Cragganmore
Bushmills

These whisk(e)ys are redily available and for a fairly affordable price. Mostly these whisk(e)ys have a soft taste, are easy on the palet and have a gentle-ish finish. You will never show them to your friends to make them jealous or becuase of pride of what you found/could afford, but they will never actually tire your tastebuds out and thus they are excellent to have as a standard.

Look-what-I-found-at-the-liquor-store: these whisk(e)ys are what you tell your friends about. They usually have an acquired taste or funny aspect and prices vary between affordable to a bit above.

examples include:

Bruichladdich: The waves (smells like bacon! :smalltongue:)
All Islay brands and versions below 18
Jura
Many of the Classics

These whiskys all have a specific strong taste identifying their region and various components of ingredients as well as classify as either novelty or acquired taste (reason for the 'young' Islays here is becuase some people like a campfire in their glass, some specifically don't)

this-occasion-is-special-enough-to-open-this-bottle

This category is for specific gifts (in my situation I'll open a grouse at my graduation from college) or bottles expesive enough that you want to save them for something special.

any bottle could be this category I have here a bottle of famous grouse gifted to me under a geas of not opening the bottle until I graduated form college :smallwink: (or at least replace the bottle when opened) and a small bottle of 18 y/o Coal Ila (yes, my whisky is old enough to order it's own :smallwink:)

But-I-allready-sold-you-my-kidney category:

This is the specials section, any bottle old enough to be your grandfather or goign for impossible prices. These bottles can be anyting from supercalifragilasticexpialidocious to why-did-I-even-pay-for-this-I-wouldn't-even-drink-it-if-I-got-paid.

(depending on amount of disposable income)

for the reader, there is no such thing as mixing whisk(e)y, they are just traps on the shelf to weed out wannabes.

the spelling of whisk(e)y is dependant on region: Irish generally prefer wkiskey while Scotsmen (and -women :smallamused:) prefer whisky

If you want to taste, sometimes whiskeyfairs or tastings are held from time to time where you can enter for a small fee and sample a wee dram from just about everything (even the €500 per bottle ones for a little extra money). It's a great way to develop your taste and find what you like and don't like in a whiskey. Just ask your local drugdealerliquorsalesman for information.

hope this helps :smallamused:

Gullintanni
2013-05-23, 08:52 PM
I'm partial to Dalwhinnie. Lagavulin is another fine scotch.

On Johnny Walker in general, I'd rather drink a $25 bottle of rye than a $75 bottle of JW. Blended scotch is so often :smallyuk:

At the very least, JW red label is awful.

thorgrim29
2013-05-24, 06:48 AM
yeah.... JW red tastes like water. For that price tag I'd much rather get a Glenlivet 12, and for mixing I usually use Jameson or Maker's Mark. At the moment I think my favourite bottle is a Talisker 10. Also I recently shared a bottle of Evan William's Single barrel vintage bourbon with some friends and it was amazing.

Anarion
2013-05-24, 04:14 PM
Random fact. For most of Johnnie Walker's history, Red Label did not exist. Black label was the cheapest one, and they threw away the stuff they now put in Red as undrinkable.

Gullintanni
2013-05-25, 07:43 AM
TBH, I find JW Black to be fairly undrinkable too. Based on Red and Black, I've never had the desire to try any of their more expensive bottles. I don't know that I'd enjoy them.

To the OPs question, there are plenty of bottles I'd happily pay 100$+ for, but the brand in particular that you mentioned produces none of them.

sabelo2000
2013-05-27, 09:43 PM
I'll agree with all those above: Johnnie Green and Gold are pretty good, but a bit expensive. In my opinion, single-malt is always the best option, and a darn good single-malt can be had for less than a bottle of Johnnie Green. I recommend Balvenie Doublewood 12-year (about $60), or if you don't mind jumping to a different island try the Bushmills 16 single-malt ($85, but SO worth it.)

Don Julio Anejo
2013-05-28, 03:09 PM
yeah.... JW red tastes like water. For that price tag I'd much rather get a Glenlivet 12, and for mixing I usually use Jameson or Maker's Mark. At the moment I think my favourite bottle is a Talisker 10. Also I recently shared a bottle of Evan William's Single barrel vintage bourbon with some friends and it was amazing.
Oh you lucky Quebecois, where a bottle of JW Red costs the same as Glenlivet 12 year old... It's about double here, usually more than JW Black.

pendell
2013-05-28, 06:25 PM
I know nothing about scotch but with all the dissing of Red Label This seemed appropriate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4QNBypC9vs).

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.

thorgrim29
2013-05-28, 10:29 PM
Oh you lucky Quebecois, where a bottle of JW Red costs the same as Glenlivet 12 year old... It's about double here, usually more than JW Black.

Seriously? Huh.... Actually I checked and the glenlivet is about 50% more expensive. The red label is cheaper then I remembered, in my head they were both roughly 40$, but actually it's more like 30 and 45 for a 750 ml

But yeah, the SAQ tends to have fairly reasonable prices for liquor (well, for canada, still more then twice the prices in New Hampshire) , but we get reamed on wine. Fun fact, the SAQ is the world's biggest alcohol distributor, a lot of the alcohol in north america passes through them at some point, but we still pay way more, yeah taxes!

Don Julio Anejo
2013-05-28, 10:59 PM
Seriously? Huh.... Actually I checked and the glenlivet is about 50% more expensive. The red label is cheaper then I remembered, in my head they were both roughly 40$, but actually it's more like 30 and 45 for a 750 ml

But yeah, the SAQ tends to have fairly reasonable prices for liquor (well, for canada, still more then twice the prices in New Hampshire) , but we get reamed on wine. Fun fact, the SAQ is the world's biggest alcohol distributor, a lot of the alcohol in north america passes through them at some point, but we still pay way more, yeah taxes!
In BC, Red Label is around $27 and Glenlivet is around $50-55 for a 26 ounze bottle. Then we get 12% sales tax, although I'm pretty sure yours is more or less the same.

Moral of the story? Travel often and stock up on cheap whiskey/cigars at duty free.

thorgrim29
2013-05-29, 06:27 PM
Nah, SAQ prices include the taxes, they're the only company allowed to do that

Altair_the_Vexed
2013-05-30, 04:06 AM
I'm partial to Dalwhinnie. Lagavulin is another fine scotch.

On Johnny Walker in general, I'd rather drink a $25 bottle of rye than a $75 bottle of JW. Blended scotch is so often :smallyuk:

At the very least, JW red label is awful.
Popped into Dalwhinnie distillery the other day - and picked up a few bottles of Knockando and Glen Spey for me and Mrs Vexed - just in passing.

It's nice being in the same country as the premium malts. :smallbiggrin: