PDA

View Full Version : Getting the most out of a dwarf(3.5)

sambouchah
2013-05-18, 08:26 PM
I have an obsession with dwarves and recently found racial armors(RoS). I want to know how to get the most AC bonus(on a paladin preferably) using feats, gold and little magic. I assume heavy armor optimization and the better version of it are a start.

Barsoom
2013-05-18, 11:37 PM
Two levels of Deepwarden give you +Con to AC, that's a good start.

Yogibear41
2013-05-18, 11:38 PM
Dip 1 level of monk for wis to ac, take vow of poverty, become a were-bear, take fist of the forest prestige class, and forsaker prestige classes.

You now have your con modifier twice to your ac, your wisdom to your ac, and your dex to your ac. You get a nice natural armor bonus from being a bear as well as a nice boost to con. You get a good boost to your stats from vow, bear, and forsaker prestige class. Unfortunanetly you can't do magic anymore because thats sort of anti forsaker. I suppose you could just drop off that part and keep the other suggestions.

EDIT: suppose you could also take deepwarden to instead have your con to ac 3 times and then dump your dex.

Ace Nex
2013-05-19, 01:05 AM
Deepwarden has Con replace Dex I believe (unless you get it back with forsaker). If you're going straight dwarf, deepwarden is a pretty solid class, and I like Dwarven Defender (the main problem is that you can't move when in your stance until epic levels, but if you want to be the immovable object, DD is a solid class). Vow of Poverty after 11th level falls off, and you'll have to be creative with backstory as to how you got to that point. (Dwarves aren't usually monks or interested in giving all material possessions up.) If you do go unarmored monk, Fist of the forest is a pretty good, BUT let's do some math here.

Suppose you have a 20 constitution. That's +5 to AC from FOTF.
Now we have +1 Mountain Plate. That's +11 to AC. Heavy Shield, additional +2 to AC. Your movement speed sucks, but dwarves are pretty much always slow. Your weapon will be better off than your fists (unless you go were-bear). If you're just doing straight dwarf, Dwarven clerics or Archivists are pretty solid (With a few levels in Fighter or Paladin if you want Dwarven Defender, Underdark Knight for Paladins that don't want the mount is nice so long as you're underground a lot). Buff up your AC with spells (Mage Armor, force domain), Shield of Faith, Barkskin (Druid, Plant, or Archivist), Wand of Shield (Eternal, you can use it 2/Day with unlimited charges),

(10th Level, Cleric 7/Deepwarden 2/Dwarven Defender 1) Your +2 Mountain Plate (+12) (Tooth of Savnok, Tome of Magic, allows you to move at your normal speed in heavy armor for only a couple thousand GP, Mithril and Commando to reduce Check penelties) on top of your Con to AC (+5 [Con modifier can be higher or lower) on top of Mage Armor (+4) on top of your Shield (+4) On top of Defensive Stance (+4). Get a defending weapon (gauntlets) and cast greater Magic Weapon on them (+2), Shield of Faith (+3 Deflection) Barkskin (+3 Natural Armor) and of course Dodge as pre-req for DD (+1). Get a dagger or armor spikes with Spell blade (Dispel Magic) so you can't be dispelled.

Sit back on your 48 AC at 10th level. (NOTE), your Touch AC is only 25, so watch out for touch spells! [Even with that, 3rd level Cleric Spell Delay Death means you can't die from HP damage for 1 round/level.]

In combat, You won't be the most threatening as most of your feats and money go on the defensive, but you still have a high BAB and strength, and if you throw in flaws you can pick up some bonus feats like Power Attack to buff up your damage output. If you want, splash a level of crusader (Or go full Crusader, they are pretty good tanks) from TOB for some nice maneuvers to make your damage better.

Mirakk
2013-05-19, 09:43 AM
(Tooth of Savnok, Tome of Magic, allows you to move at your normal speed in heavy armor for only a couple thousand GP

This is unnecessary for a Dwarf, as they already can move their normal speed in heavy armor as a racial trait.

"Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or whose speed is reduced in such conditions)."

Try the tooth of Ronove instead. At will Expeditious Retreat increases your base land speed by 30 feet. Then you can travel that quickly in heavy armor. It'll cost you 9,000GP, but you can move 50ft/round this way in heavy armor.

Ace Nex
2013-05-19, 03:27 PM
Mountain Plate impedes even dwarves. Halfweight (+3) makes any armor light armor.