PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Requesting Advice (Archaeologist Bard)

Razo1204
2013-05-19, 12:36 AM
Hello everyone.

My friend is going to start up a Jade Regent campaign once our current Crimson Throne campaign is over. I've been working hard to create a character that is playable from level 1 to 14 and is also a jack of all trades. I know this will make the character mediocre at most things but I'm willing to accept that. I want the character to be able to heal, buff, be a walking textbook of knowledge skills, find / disable traps, be a face for the caravan, and have some sort of attack when there's not a better option. I figured the best way to achieve this is to go with an archaeologist bard.

I'm looking for feedback on this build. I'm open to any suggestions you may have; however, I'd prefer it if there were no spoilers about the adventure path.

I should also point out that I have no clue what the other members of the group will be playing.

14th Level Catfolk Bard (Archaeologist)

Favored Class: +1/2 to Bardic Knowledge Bonus
Racial Features: Cat’s Luck, Clever Cat, Climber, and Low-Light Vision
Traits: Maestro of Society and Rescued (Koya)
Languages: Catfolk, Common, Elven, Gnome, Halfling, and Sylvan

Base Stats: 20 Point Buy (before racial adjustments)
Str 10 Int 14
Dex 16 Wis 12
Con 10 Cha 13

Racial Adjustments: +2 Dex (18), +2 Cha (15), and -2 Wis (10)

Level Attributes: +1 Cha (16) and +2 Dex (20)

Skills:
Appraise, Bluff, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Perception, Spellcraft, Stealth, and Use Magic Device

Feats/Talents:
1st Level: Point-Blank Shot
3rd Level: Precise Shot
4th Rogue: Combat Trick (Arcane Strike or Rapid Shot)
5th Level: Arcane Strike or Rapid Shot
7th Level: Lingering Performance
8th Rogue: Weapon Training (Weapon Focus: Shortbow)
9th Level: Manyshot
11th Level: Clustered Shots
12th Rogue: Skill Mastery
(Bluff, Diplomacy, Spellcraft, Stealth, and Use Magic Device)
13th Level: OPEN FEAT

StreamOfTheSky
2013-05-19, 12:57 AM
For stats, I would go with Str 12, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 9, Cha 14 before race.
You should get Lingering Performance much sooner, it's too critical given the awful rounds/day of Luck. As far as Arcane Strike or Rapid Shot... Rapid Shot. It's what makes archery good. And 1 out of 3 rounds you won't have a swift action for arcane strike...I wouldn't even take it. Note that by RAW, you can take Ninja Trick (Combat Trick) as a rogue talent even if you have Combat Trick as a rogue talent already, if that helps at all. The initial feat burden is quite high.

Not sure if it's open to you, but there's a PF Society trait that gives longbow proficiency.

Razo1204
2013-05-19, 01:18 AM
For stats, I would go with Str 12, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 9, Cha 14 before race.
You should get Lingering Performance much sooner, it's too critical given the awful rounds/day of Luck. As far as Arcane Strike or Rapid Shot... Rapid Shot. It's what makes archery good. And 1 out of 3 rounds you won't have a swift action for arcane strike...I wouldn't even take it. Note that by RAW, you can take Ninja Trick (Combat Trick) as a rogue talent even if you have Combat Trick as a rogue talent already, if that helps at all. The initial feat burden is quite high.

Not sure if it's open to you, but there's a PF Society trait that gives longbow proficiency.

I REALLY don't like the idea of having a 7 wisdom after racial adjustments.

I could potentially take Lingering Performance at 5 and move back Arcane Strike (or a different feat) to 7.

My DM has already house ruled that he will not allow me to take Combat Trick twice via Ninja Trick.

I am only allowed one trait outside of the campaign trait. I figured Maestro of Society was the obvious choice over the other traits.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-05-19, 01:30 AM
Ok, then. You could make Dex and Cha 15 and Wis 10, and just increase the odds at levels 4 and 8 instead, too.

Maestro of the Society is much less important/needed if you just take Lingering Performance early on.

Corlindale
2013-05-19, 01:36 AM
5th level is a good time to get Lingering Performance. Just when the bonus reaches meaningful levels.

I'm not sure I'd even bother with Arcane Strike on an Archaeologist. It has anti-synergy with Lingering Performance since that one already takes 1/3 of your swift actions - and it gets even more difficult to use if you take advantage of an excellent spell like Gallant Inspiration (hint: You really should!). Suddenly there aren't many swift actions left to use AS. Otherwise feat choices look pretty nice.

Razo1204
2013-05-19, 04:24 PM
Thanks for your input. I'll take the suggestions into consideration.