PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Elemental Blast

Bickerstaff
2013-05-19, 05:33 AM
What kind of action is the Elemental Blast bloodline power for the Elemental bloodline?

Relevant link: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/elemental-bloodline

I assume it's a standard action, but it doesn't say so, even though the Elemental Ray power is explicitly stated to be a standard action.

And I know there are (much) better bloodlines, but hush.

Keneth
2013-05-19, 06:37 AM
Since it doesn't explicitly say otherwise, it's a standard action to use.

I've always hated the fact that these abilities are spell-like since they don't replicate a spell. Even the developers realize they should be supernatural, but they're doing nothing to fix it. :smallannoyed:

Chained Birds
2013-05-19, 09:44 AM

I've always hated the fact that these abilities are spell-like since they don't replicate a spell. Even the developers realize they should be supernatural, but they're doing nothing to fix it. :smallannoyed:

If they made them supernatural, would that me no AoOs? :smallconfused:

Keneth
2013-05-19, 01:17 PM
Yes, and that's completely fine. I don't see why any of these abilities would need to provoke AoOs or require Concentration checks. But it would still be better if they had made them supernatural and explicitly stated they provoke AoOs, than making them spell-like and creating all sorts of problems since they don't replicate the spell format. The devs have stated on several occasions that it was a mistake, but they don't want to change them at this point.

Chained Birds
2013-05-19, 03:24 PM
Yes, and that's completely fine. I don't see why any of these abilities would need to provoke AoOs or require Concentration checks. But it would still be better if they had made them supernatural and explicitly stated they provoke AoOs, than making them spell-like and creating all sorts of problems since they don't replicate the spell format. The devs have stated on several occasions that it was a mistake, but they don't want to change them at this point.

Don't know if I really like Spellcaster not provoking AoOs with their nifty tricks, though I would be fine if they provoke even as supernatural abilities.

It just seems odd that a caster can just pelt an orb of acid at the Fighter's face, right in front of him without the Fighter having any say (That shouldn't happen until at least level 3 :smalltongue:).

Bickerstaff
2013-05-19, 03:40 PM

Is that just a normal rule for class feature things?

Keneth
2013-05-19, 03:49 PM
It just seems odd that a caster can just pelt an orb of acid at the Fighter's face, right in front of him without the Fighter having any say (That shouldn't happen until at least level 3 :smalltongue:).

Ranged attacks still provoke AoOs, regardless of what kind of ability it is. It just doesn't provoke one for casting.

Is that just a normal rule for class feature things?

No, it's a normal rule for spell-like and supernatural abilities, among other things.

Here's the relevant quote from the magic section:

A spell-like ability has a casting time of 1 standard action unless noted otherwise in the ability or spell description. In all other ways, a spell-like ability functions just like a spell.