PDA

View Full Version : Giant Battlesuits?

kreenlover
2013-05-19, 02:01 PM
So, I was looking at the epic golems (iron, flesh, stone colossus), and then at the iron man thread somewhere here. and I saw that template you can add to golems to make you be able to wear them.

Now, what is to stop an epic level character from building themselves an iron colossus, and wearing it as armour? please tell me that having a 25th level wizard stomping around in a stone colossus isn't as insanely good as I think it is, or else that will be my next build. because the key thing about that template, is that while wearing it as armour you can't be damaged until the golem is destroyed. Just keep a few mud to stone prepared, and you can smash the world in your colossal strength 70 armour suit, healing it every time it gets damaged.

Am I missing something?

Vizzerdrix
2013-05-19, 02:12 PM
Where is this template from?

Flickerdart
2013-05-19, 02:16 PM
Good luck casting spells while subjected to a colossus' antimagic field. And good luck accomplishing anything in Epic play without spells. You can neither afford it nor craft it yourself pre-Epic.

Vaz
2013-05-19, 03:24 PM
Epic Spells bypass AMF's do they not? Even otherwise, Initiate of Mystra.

Flickerdart
2013-05-19, 05:31 PM
Epic Spells bypass AMF's do they not? Even otherwise, Initiate of Mystra.
Transmute Mud to Rock is not a Cleric spell, so it's not terribly useful in this situation.

kreenlover
2013-05-19, 05:48 PM
It was pathfinder. so, maybe not entirely compatible. Ok, I knew I must have been missing something. I realized that this also imposes massive spell failure chances, so it becomes a no-go. Thanks anyways guys

Thurbane
2013-05-20, 08:07 AM
I wish the Mighty Servant of Leuk-o had have gotten a 3.5 version. :smalltongue:

http://i41.tinypic.com/a0usud.jpg

Vaz
2013-05-20, 08:44 AM
Transmute Mud to Rock is not a Cleric spell, so it's not terribly useful in this situation.

Kobold, Ooze, and Slime Domains all provide access to it.

HunterOfJello
2013-05-20, 08:59 AM
There was a sort of steampunk-ish battlesuit on the wotc site a long while back, but I don't remember what it was called. All I do remember was that while it looked cool, it actually sucked.

Flickerdart
2013-05-20, 09:06 AM
Kobold, Ooze, and Slime Domains all provide access to it.
Yeah, once per day. Not terribly useful for OP's plan.

dysprosium
2013-05-20, 09:19 AM
I wish the Mighty Servant of Leuk-o had have gotten a 3.5 version. :smalltongue:

http://i41.tinypic.com/a0usud.jpg

There was a sort of steampunk-ish battlesuit on the wotc site a long while back, but I don't remember what it was called. All I do remember was that while it looked cool, it actually sucked.

They did on the wizards site:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20061020a

Vaz
2013-05-20, 09:41 AM
Eh, the feat's Cleric 3rd; you're going epic. Take a Cloistered Cleric 3 dip, Initiate of Mystra feat, and then whatever Domains you like, perhaps if you're not already Incantatrix (and why not? You're going Epic) pick up Extra Turning and Extend Domains for eventually going Persist DMM.

The OP did mention Wizard after all; I only brought up IoM to get past the AMF. It's not like it has to be a Cleric build. Just means you can't afford to waste caster levels elsewhere.

Flickerdart
2013-05-20, 12:55 PM
Any CL hits mean it's that much less likely your spells will actually work (unless you're then devoting even more resources to this madcap scheme to crank it back up).

Vaz
2013-05-20, 01:06 PM
Only one feat is need for it; Practised Spellcaster. As a Wizard, you should have a ton of Metamagic Feats. As a Wu Jen, you should have enough Body Outside Body Clones to Metamagic Effect anyway.

zilonox
2013-05-20, 01:07 PM
@OP: Isn't this what DragonMech (by Goodman Games) is all about?

Zombulian
2013-05-20, 02:31 PM
Yeah, once per day. Not terribly useful for OP's plan.

Well you could always be the Spontaneous Domain Cleric ACF.

Thurbane
2013-05-21, 01:32 AM
They did on the wizards site:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20061020a
Thank you so much! You have no idea how long I've been waiting for a 3.X version of the Mighty Servant! :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2013-05-21, 01:46 AM
Isn't there a d20 setting based upon this. Dragonstar? Dragonmech?

Skysaber
2013-05-21, 04:39 AM
Isn't there a d20 setting based upon this. Dragonstar? Dragonmech?

Both Dragonstar and Dragonmech settings do fantasy mecha, though there are also others. None provide an easy conversion from existing golem to mecha, however. Although I must admit I've never looked at the (I am assuming PF) template OP mentions for making wearable golems.

Vknight
2013-05-21, 05:14 AM
@OP: Isn't this what DragonMech (by Goodman Games) is all about?

I agree to this and second this motion

But the Golem template could be applied by changing it over to 3.X and asking your GM about it

dysprosium
2013-05-21, 09:38 AM
Thank you so much! You have no idea how long I've been waiting for a 3.X version of the Mighty Servant! :smallbiggrin:

No problem. I've always liked the Mighty Servant too.

Getsugaru
2013-05-21, 09:55 AM
Am I the only one who immediately after reading the thread title jumped to Mobile Suit: Gundam? :smallbiggrin:

<-[now considering looking into that...]

Zombulian
2013-05-21, 10:55 AM
Am I the only one who immediately after reading the thread title jumped to Mobile Suit: Gundam? :smallbiggrin:

<-[now considering looking into that...]

I actually thought about making an ectoplasmic powersuit with Astral Construct.

Coidzor
2013-05-21, 11:02 AM

Nice. :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2013-05-21, 11:21 AM
There's a feat in CPsi that does exactly this, though the benefits (one ability from the A menu for the duration of manifestation) are lame and dumb.

Zombulian
2013-05-21, 11:30 AM
There's a feat in CPsi that does exactly this, though the benefits (one ability from the A menu for the duration of manifestation) are lame and dumb.

Yea we don't talk about it.

the_david
2013-05-21, 11:30 AM
It was pathfinder. so, maybe not entirely compatible. Ok, I knew I must have been missing something. I realized that this also imposes massive spell failure chances, so it becomes a no-go. Thanks anyways guys

Pathfinder? What's wrong with just playing a synthesist summoner instead?

Hunter Noventa
2013-05-21, 01:40 PM
Pathfinder? What's wrong with just playing a synthesist summoner instead?

because a Summoner isn't some kind of item crafter that makes 5 of these suits and takes Leadership.

We had power rangers in our last camapign and it was glorious.

Trekkin
2013-05-21, 02:32 PM
What pathfinder thing is it that allows giant battlesuits, by the way? I've looked all over the SRD and haven't found any at all...

JadePhoenix
2013-05-21, 05:09 PM
What pathfinder thing is it that allows giant battlesuits, by the way? I've looked all over the SRD and haven't found any at all...

Construct Armor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/building-and-modifying-constructs). All it gives is a hp buffer.