PDA

View Full Version : Anima Warlock (3.5)

Talya
2013-05-19, 07:05 PM
Hit Die: d8
Skill Points: 2+int
BAB: 3/4 Good Saves: Fort, Will

Requirements
Invocations: Eldritch Blast 2d6 or higher.
Special: Soul Binding ability
Skills: Knowledge (The Planes) 4 ranks, Intimidate 4 ranks

(This class is an attempt at a theurge between Warlock and Binder, and as such, draws heavily from Eldritch Disciple, Eldritch Theurge, and Anima Mage for inspiration.)

Class Features

Soul Binding Bonus: At each Anima Warlock level except for 1st, your soul binding ability improves as if you had also gained a level in the binder class. Your Anima Warlock levels and Binder Levels stack for the purpose of determining your bonus on binding checks, the effectiveness of your vestige-granted abilities, your ability to bind higher level vestiges, and the number of vestiges you can bind. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a binder would have gained.

Invocations: At each level, you gain new invocations known and an increase in caster level as if you had also gained a level in an invocation-using class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. (This includes eldritch blast.) You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one invocation-using class before becoming an eldritch disciple, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining caster level and invocations known.

Vestigial Focusing: At 2nd level, an Anima Warlock learns how to to use a bound vestige to fuel their Eldritch Blast. With this ability, you can choose to forgo gaining one of the vestige's granted abilities in order to gain +1d6 to your eldritch blast. At 8th level, you can suppress a second granted vestigial power to improve this bonus to +2d6.

Pact Augmentation (Su): Beginning at 4th level, you can draw additional power from the vestiges you bind. As long as you are bound to at least one vestige, you can choose one ability from the following list. Each time you rebind a vestige, you also reselect your pact augmentation ability.

As you attain higher levels, you can make additional selections from the list. You gain one additional ability at 9th level. You can choose a single ability multiple times, and their effects stack. For instance, you could choose bonus hit points twice or damage reduction twice, gaining +10 hit points or damage reduction 2/—.

Bound Heart and Soul: At 5th level, any time the Anima Warlock uses an ability from a vestige that has a target, she may choose to also cast a targeted invocation at the same target with the same action. Saving throws apply separately to both affects. Using this ability requires a 1 full-round action. If the vestige ability has more than one target or allows more than one attack, you must choose one target to be affected by the invocation; all other targets take only the normal effect of the ability. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Cha modifier (minimum 1).

Vestige Invocation (Su): At 10th level, you can use a bound vestige's power to cast an Invocation or Eldritch Blast outside the normal limits of time and magic. Once per day, you can cast any Invocation that you know, or use an Eldritch Blast modified with any invocations you know, as an immediate action. You cast the can cast this invocation or eldritch blast without any verbal or somatic components whatsoever.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-19, 08:59 PM
Hit Die: d8
Skill Points: 2+int
BAB: 3/4 Good Saves: Fort, Will

...roughly acceptable. Personally, I might remove the Fort save.

Soul Binding Bonus: At each Anima Warlock level except for 1st, your soul binding ability improves as if you had also gained a level in the binder class. Your Anima Warlock levels and Binder Levels stack for the purpose of determining your bonus on binding checks, the effectiveness of your vestige-granted abilities, your ability to bind higher level vestiges, and the number of vestiges you can bind. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a binder would have gained.

Depending on where your balance point is, you might just let them advance at every level - the Anima Mage does, and it's gonna be way more powerful than this anyway. That being said... the Anima Mage is ridiculously powerful in itself.

Vestigial Focusing: At 2nd level, an Anima Warlock learns how to to use a bound vestige to fuel their Eldritch Blast. With this ability, you can choose to forgo gaining one of the vestige's granted abilities in order to gain +1d6 to your eldritch blast. At 8th level, you can suppress a second granted vestigial power to improve this bonus to +2d6.

Too weak - I'd have it scale without suppressing extra powers, and a lot higher than 2d6.

Pact Augmentation (Su): Beginning at 4th level, you can draw additional power from the vestiges you bind. As long as you are bound to at least one vestige, you can choose one ability from the following list. Each time you rebind a vestige, you also reselect your pact augmentation ability.

...yeah, I think you just copy-and-pasted that, especially as the "Following List" isn't written here. I'd rewrite this one at the very least, maybe scrap it entirely. (Pact Augmentation is one of the very few incentives to stay Binder.)

Vestige Invocation (Su): At 10th level, you can use a bound vestige's power to cast an Invocation or Eldritch Blast outside the normal limits of time and magic. Once per day, you can cast any Invocation that you know, or use an Eldritch Blast modified with any invocations you know, as an immediate action. You cast the can cast this invocation or eldritch blast without any verbal or somatic components whatsoever.

Not bad, but a little underwhelming compared to the Anima Mage power.

On the whole, this isn't a bad job (and I agree that, fluff-wise, it makes absolute perfect sense.) Mostly, I'd decide what your balance point was - If you want it to give as many benefits as the Anima Mage does, it falls quite a ways short. (But, of course, Anima Mage is one of the best PrCs in the game.)

Talya
2013-05-19, 09:04 PM
...yeah, I think you just copy-and-pasted that, especially as the "Following List" isn't written here. I'd rewrite this one at the very least, maybe scrap it entirely. (Pact Augmentation is one of the very few incentives to stay Binder.)

Not bad, but a little underwhelming compared to the Anima Mage power.

On the whole, this isn't a bad job (and I agree that, fluff-wise, it makes absolute perfect sense.) Mostly, I'd decide what your balance point was - If you want it to give as many benefits as the Anima Mage does, it falls quite a ways short. (But, of course, Anima Mage is one of the best PrCs in the game.)

Well, Anima Mage is theurging arcane casting and binder, which will, of course, be way more powerful to start with than warlock and binder.

Anima Mage wouldn't be all that good for a warlock, though, even if you could use their abilities with it. The low BAB and hit die are very bad for eldritch blast (especially glaivelock, where you want those iteratives), and hellfire is already going to end up eating into that on most glaivelocks. Think of this as... a way to get more than just Naberius.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-19, 09:10 PM
Well, Anima Mage is theurging arcane casting and binder, which will, of course, be way more powerful to start with than warlock and binder.

Anima Mage wouldn't be all that good for a warlock, though, even if you could use their abilities with it. The low BAB and hit die are very bad for eldritch blast (especially glaivelock, where you want those iteratives), and hellfire is already going to end up eating into that on most glaivelocks. Think of this as... a way to get more than just Naberius.

*Nods* Yeah, this is never going to be a T1 build, but... I do feel like the Anima Mage gives more to Mages than the Anima Warlock gives to Warlocks, if that makes sense. I feel like you could afford to give this guy some more presents, though I'm honestly not certain what... I don't play Warlocks, myself, so I don't really know what would benefit them.