PDA

View Full Version : What alignment would you make this character if you were the DM?

bbgenderless100
2013-05-19, 08:17 PM
"Character Description": He does not really trust anyone or anything at all because they all tend to oppress his freedom to do whatever he wants to do which is what he longs for and really only cares about despite seeming like he doesn't. He also can be really lazy when it comes to everything and anything. He also believes that good and bad are subjective as what one person views as good another will view as bad etc. For example: he slept with his good friend who was with a partner at the moment
, however he offered to do it when this person brought it up in a conversation one night and then his heart changed while doing it so he stopped due to him changing his mind. he was enjoying it until he stopped and since then he has been upset with him. So
because he sensed that he was gonna kill the enjoyment for him somehow, afterwards and still is irritated that it stopped. He has also gone and sold an offering after being told not to for money, because there was a craving for corn that was popped in a bag at the time. He also for the longest time made it out to look like He forgave his elder but really the character went over to her and her current lovers place to eat so she can't say that this character don't respect the elder at all. He will always respect her for bringing him into this world but cannot in good faith trust her.

He also believes that people should be free to do whatever they want in whatever planes they live in, however whatever they end up doing with that freedom is on them to deal with not him

He also will not use violence but he doesn't consider himself a pacifist because if he could find a way to use it with his lack of upper body strength violence would ensue.

He also isn't a fan of being told no but tends to swallow his feelings about the issue and pretend like said character does like being told "no".

*Disclaimer* This is for amusement/my further understanding aka curiousity of the D&D alignment system and everything related to D&D.

*Disclaimer* For this case, hypothetically say its the DM who is asked to pick an alignment because said hypothetical person cannot decide on an alignment.

Also * Disclaimer* My last thread spiraled out of control, this time whatever answer comes up is fine with me. Because this is to be answered as if you were a Dungeon Master in D&D and were using alignment and the character could not be assigned an alignment by the person playing this character.

Fiery Diamond
2013-05-19, 08:33 PM
I don't really trust anyone or anything at all because they all tend to oppress my freedom to do whatever i want to do which is what i long for and really only care about despite seeming like i don't. I also can be really lazy when it comes to everything and anything. I believe that good and bad are subjective as what one person views as good another will view as bad etc. For example: I slept with my good friend who is dating someone at the moment
, however he offered to do it with me when i brought it up in a conversation one night and then he changed his mind while doing it with me so i stopped due to him changing his mind. I was so enjoying it until he stopped and since then I've been upset with him. So
because i sensed that he was gonna kill the enjoyment for me somehow, afterwards and still am irritated that he backed out. I also have gone and sold a Christmas present after being told not to for money, because i was craving Popcorn at the time. I also for the longest time made it out to look like i forgave my mom but really i went over to her and her current lovers place to eat and so she can't say that i don't see her at all.
I will always respect her for bringing me into this world but don't trust her.

I also believe that people should be free to do whatever they want, however whatever they end up doing with that freedom is on them to deal with not me.

I don't use violence but don't consider myself a pacifist because if i could find a way to use it with my lack of upper body strength i would.

I also don't like being told no but tend to swallow my feelings about the issue and pretend like i don't.

*Disclaimer* This is for amusement/my further understanding aka curiousity of the D&D alignment system and everything related to D&D.

*Disclaimer* For this case, its the DM who is asked to pick an alignment because said person cannot decide on an alignment.

Also * Disclaimer* My last thread spiraled out of control, this time whatever answer comes up is fine with me. Because this is to be answered as if you were a Dungeon Master in D&D and were using alignment and encountered this PC.

You really ought to phrase things as hypothetical or put them purely in terms of D&D setting-appropriate actions if you want that kind of response. Reading what you've written, I'm getting the sense that you're saying "This is what I'm like in real life. If I were in D&D, what alignment would that make me?" That's... not very productive, nor really that interesting. It's just asking for people to be judgmental of your lifestyle choices.

Geordnet
2013-05-19, 09:20 PM
It's just asking for people to be judgmental of your lifestyle choices.
Right, you've got to be careful about this one...

From a first skim, I'd place you roughly CN to start, and work from there.

Kyberwulf
2013-05-19, 09:30 PM
I would say neutral evil.

Mastikator
2013-05-19, 09:31 PM
I fear/hope that you're only listing things that you are a little a shamed of, if not then I'd go with somewhere between chaotic neutral and chaotic evil.
Lots of chaotic points.
No lawful points.
No good points.
Very little evil points.

As an NPC I would not make it an antagonist of a story, probably a comic relief that the PCs would love to be annoyed with.

3SecondCultist
2013-05-19, 09:36 PM
Just reading the first couple of information points in your description, I would place you in the lower edges of the Chaotic Neutral category, perhaps edging on Neutral Evil or Chaotic Evil. But almost definitively I would say that the range of he CN lifestyle fits this character.

As to the format... you might want to place a header stating that this is about a character. As someone reading the thread, it was a bit jarring to jump right into it.

Fighter1000
2013-05-19, 11:27 PM
True Neutral

Sylthia
2013-05-20, 01:37 AM
I would say on the border of True Neutral and Chaotic Neutral. Possibly dipping into Evil, more than Good due to stealing your friend's boyfriend. At least I think that's what you said, the pronouns seem to shift a bit.

Sutremaine
2013-05-20, 09:40 PM
Neutral Evil.

The standout point is the comment on how good and bad are subjective, on a character that has very few subjectively good acts to their name but plenty of subjectively bad ones. You'd think that a character with the whole 'beyond good and evil' thing going on would have a more random distribution of "good" vs. "bad".

Blue Ghost
2013-05-20, 10:06 PM
Haven't you asked this question before? My answer stands.

bbgenderless100
2013-05-20, 10:26 PM
Haven't you asked this question before? My answer stands.

Where have you seen this question before? and what answer?

TuggyNE
2013-05-20, 11:21 PM
Where have you seen this question before? and what answer?

I don't remember how Blue Ghost answered last time, but the previous thread is here, for anyone interested.

Also, really, you've gotten way more than enough answers; I don't think you'll get anything substantially better, and I'm not quite sure what you're looking for. A general consensus on CG, maybe? Because, not to put too fine a point on it, that's not gonna happen.

Geordnet
2013-05-21, 01:00 PM
Also, really, you've gotten way more than enough answers; I don't think you'll get anything substantially better, and I'm not quite sure what you're looking for. A general consensus on CG, maybe? Because, not to put too fine a point on it, that's not gonna happen.

On this thread, the consensus seems to be CN, with a slight tilt towards NE.

Full breakdown:

They don't really trust anyone or anything at all because they all tend to oppress my freedom to do whatever i want to do which is what i long for and really only care about despite seeming like i don't.
Very strongly Chaotic.

They also can be really lazy when it comes to everything and anything.
Completely Neutral.

I believe that good and bad are subjective as what one person views as good another will view as bad etc.
Somewhat Chaotic; corroborating for Evil (although insufficient by itself).

For example: They slept with my good friend who is dating someone at the moment
Chaotic and/or Evil, depending on circumstance.

, however he offered to do it with me when they brought it up in a conversation one night and then he changed his mind while doing it with me so i stopped due to him changing his mind.
Said person was so enjoying it until he stopped and since then they been upset with him. So
because i sensed that he was gonna kill the enjoyment for them somehow, afterwards and still am irritated that he backed out.
:smallconfused: Not sure what you're trying to say. This appears to be a mitigating factor for the last point, but this doesn't nullify it.

They also have gone and sold a Christmas present after being told not to for money, because they were craving Popcorn at the time.
Chaotic.

They also for the longest time made it out to look like they forgave their mom but really they went over to her and her current lovers place to eat and so she can't say that said person don't see her at all.
Hm... There are so many factors that go into this one which aren't told, so it has to be left out of the assessment. (~Neutral)

They will always respect her for bringing them into this world but don't trust her.
Roughly neutral.

They also believe that people should be free to do whatever they want, however whatever they end up doing with that freedom is on them to deal with not said person.
Chaotic, definitely; in all neutral on the good-evil axis.

They also don't use violence but don't consider themselves myself a pacifist because if they could find a way to use it with their lack of upper body strength they would.
Completely Neutral.

They also don't like being told no but said person tends to swallow their feelings about the issue and pretend like they do like being told no.
Lawful.

Synopsis:

Lots of Chaotic
Little Lawful
Some Evil
Negligible Good

Overall: Strongly Chaotic, Vaguely Neutral.

bbgenderless100
2013-05-21, 04:31 PM
I don't remember how Blue Ghost answered last time, but the previous thread is here, for anyone interested.

This is a completely different thread though sir. This was meant to be from the point of view of a Dungeon Master and they encountered this character it was meant to be looked at as a character. Where as the last thread was just myself and other people saying what alignment they were IRL. This is meant to be answered as if D&D is being played and the DM had to pick an alignment for this character because nobody can decide on an alignment for him.

J-H
2013-05-21, 05:19 PM
Chaotic Neutral.

TuggyNE
2013-05-21, 06:06 PM
On this thread, the consensus seems to be CN, with a slight tilt towards NE.

Pretty sure that was more or less the case last time too.

This is a completely different thread though sir. This was meant to be from the point of view of a Dungeon Master and they encountered this character it was meant to be looked at as a character. Where as the last thread was just myself and other people saying what alignment they were IRL. This is meant to be answered as if D&D is being played and the DM had to pick an alignment for this character because nobody can decide on an alignment for him.

Sure, but uh… the serial numbers weren't filed off all that far, y'know? I'd've recommended putting some considerable thought into rephrasing everything and putting it in context of a hypothetical D&Dish backstory.

CombatOwl
2013-05-21, 06:48 PM
Character Description: He don't really trust anyone or anything at all because they all tend to oppress his freedom to do whatever he wants to do which is what he longs for and really only cares about despite seeming like he doesn't. He also can be really lazy when it comes to everything and anything. He also believes that good and bad are subjective as what one person views as good another will view as bad etc. For example: he slept with his good friend who is dating someone at the moment
, however he offered to do it with him when this person brought it up in a conversation one night and then he changed his mind while doing it with him so he stopped due to him changing his mind. he was enjoying it until he stopped and since then he has been upset with him. So
because he sensed that he was gonna kill the enjoyment for him somehow, afterwards and still is irritated that he backed out. He has also gone and sold a Christmas present after being told not to for money, because He was craving Popcorn at the time. He also for the longest time made it out to look like He forgave his mom but really He went over to her and her current lovers place to eat so she can't say that He don't see her at all.
He will always respect her for bringing him into this world but don't trust her.

He also believes that people should be free to do whatever they want, however whatever they end up doing with that freedom is on them to deal with not him

He also don't use violence but he doesn't consider himself a pacifist because if he could find a way to use it with his lack of upper body strength He would.

He also don't like being told no but He tends to swallow his feelings about the issue and pretend like He does like being told no.

*Disclaimer* For this case, hypothetically say its the DM who is asked to pick an alignment because said hypothetical person cannot decide on an alignment.

Also * Disclaimer* My last thread spiraled out of control, this time whatever answer comes up is fine with me. Because this is to be answered as if you were a Dungeon Master in D&D and were using alignment and the character could not be assigned an alignment by the person playing this character.

Definitely Chaotic Evil. Hard chaotic evil.

FabulousFizban
2013-05-21, 06:58 PM
freedom=CN

ZeroGear
2013-05-21, 07:20 PM
Chaotic Neutral. I mean for crying out loud, he sounds almost exactly like Jack Sparrow (sans the rum and pirate ship).

bbgenderless100
2013-05-21, 08:06 PM
Pretty sure that was more or less the case last time too.

Sure, but uh… the serial numbers weren't filed off all that far, y'know? I'd've recommended putting some considerable thought into rephrasing everything and putting it in context of a hypothetical D&Dish backstory.

I would've but how exactly would one rephrase everything and put it in the context of a hypothetical D&Dish backstory? i thought i did just a little while ago when i edited everything , but if not. Then could you please let me know what i missed then, i'm curious about this.

TuggyNE
2013-05-21, 08:52 PM
I would've but how exactly would one rephrase everything and put it in the context of a hypothetical D&Dish backstory? i thought i did just a little while ago when i edited everything , but if not. Then could you please let me know what i missed then, i'm curious about this.

Well, start with that before posting, and also do some more subtle tweaks.

Nitpicking and suggestions:[quote]Character Description: He don't really trust anyone or anything at all because they all tend to oppress his freedom to do whatever he wants to do which is what he longs for and really only cares about despite seeming like he doesn't. He also can be really lazy when it comes to everything and anything. He also believes that good and bad are subjective as what one person views as good another will view as bad etc. For example: he slept with his good friend who is dating someone at the moment
, however he offered to do it with him when this person brought it up in a conversation one night and then he changed his mind while doing it with him so he stopped due to him changing his mind. he was enjoying it until he stopped and since then he has been upset with him. So
because he sensed that he was gonna kill the enjoyment for him somehow, afterwards and still is irritated that he backed out. He has also gone and sold a Christmas present after being told not to for money, because He was craving Popcorn at the time. He also for the longest time made it out to look like He forgave his mom but really He went over to her and her current lovers place to eat so she can't say that He don't see her at all.
He will always respect her for bringing him into this world but don't trust her.

He also believes that people should be free to do whatever they want, however whatever they end up doing with that freedom is on them to deal with not him

He also don't use violence but he doesn't consider himself a pacifist because if he could find a way to use it with his lack of upper body strength He would.

He also don't like being told no but He tends to swallow his feelings about the issue and pretend like He does like being told no.[quote]

Bolded are incongruities in the account, or things that fit weirdly in a D&Dish world. Underlined are grammatical errors resulting from the edit.

You might also want to put in some other things relating to this hypothetical character's more D&D-specific tendencies or experiences, to spice it up a bit.

bbgenderless100
2013-05-21, 09:30 PM
Well, start with that before posting, and also do some more subtle tweaks.

Nitpicking and suggestions:[quote]Character Description: He don't really trust anyone or anything at all because they all tend to oppress his freedom to do whatever he wants to do which is what he longs for and really only cares about despite seeming like he doesn't. He also can be really lazy when it comes to everything and anything. He also believes that good and bad are subjective as what one person views as good another will view as bad etc. For example: he slept with his good friend who is dating someone at the moment

He also don't like being told no but He tends to swallow his feelings about the issue and pretend like He does like being told no.[quote]

Bolded are incongruities in the account, or things that fit weirdly in a D&Dish world. Underlined are grammatical errors resulting from the edit.

You might also want to put in some other things relating to this hypothetical character's more D&D-specific tendencies or experiences, to spice it up a bit.

Well i did go back and edit somemore, not sure what i missed.

What would make it D&D specific tendencies or experiences?

NecroRebel
2013-05-21, 10:43 PM
What would make it D&D specific tendencies or experiences?

Really? This person is some useless townie - an NPC, and a minor one at that. It's a decent enough description for such a person, but they don't really have anything important about them, has no significant plot hooks built in, and doesn't really say much about how they'll react to anything. Even the major theme - "this person dislikes authority," roughly - doesn't really speak to how they act because it also specifically says that they'll do as they're told if they're made to. It isn't suitable for a PC for much the same reasons as it isn't suitable for an important NPC.

More to the point, the traits of the character described here could be true in any setting. Would they be out of place in a futuristic setting? No, there's nothing there that somebody in space couldn't do. Would they be out of place in the pseudo-medieval pseudo-European settings that D&D games are traditionally set in? No, but they wouldn't be in place, either, because there's nothing there that somebody in space couldn't do. There's nothing that suggests any particular world for them, besides being from a place well-protected enough that disunity isn't consistently fatal, hence why I described them as a "townie." If you want them to fit in a D&D-specific setting, give them traits that wouldn't fit outside of such a setting, not this generic modern stuff.

All in all, the traits outlined here are chaotic, but don't suggest strong leanings towards any other alignment. It's all "this person dislikes authority" except for three mentions of willful betrayals of trust, so the character is Chaotic Neutral with some proclivity for Evil acts.

Geordnet
2013-05-21, 11:55 PM
Well i did go back and edit somemore, not sure what i missed.

Not much, honestly; I don't think you're going to get a different answer than the one you have now... :smallsigh:

neonchameleon
2013-05-22, 02:30 PM
Chaotic Neutral with evil tendencies.

BWR
2013-05-22, 05:00 PM
True Neutral. Alignment isn't just what you like or want to be like, it's what you actually do. This seems like a rather nothing-ish person who wants to do (or not do) a lot more than than he actually does (or doesn't). Somewhat dickish, but this doesn't necessarily equate with chaos or evil.

Just thinking that good and evil are morally relative doesn't automatically equate with being evil. It could very well be not taking a strong stance on anything, it could be seeing how people can't agree on what eactly constitutes 'good' and 'evil', it could be (in D&D) lack of exposure to true extremes of the two.

Wanting freedom and choice for everybody does indicate Chaotic Neutral, but it doesn't seem to be, from the description given, something he really lives for or works for. It's more like wishful thinking than an actual code of conduct or ethos.

Mighty_Chicken
2013-05-24, 08:19 AM
1) Being inconsistent isn't as much a Chaotic trait as it is a personality trait. Lawful characters can have inconsistent desires; what makes them lawful is that they'll try not to act like this, probably because they despise inconsistent people. Both Chaotic and Neutral people may believe they have the right to be inconsistent.

2) Being selfish is "Evil", but some minor Evil actions don't necessarily make a person Evil - specially if these actions are happening because of something the person has little control over. Many people have very little control on their sexual and emotional lives. I know people who are great with strangers in need, but that suck at relationships. Being a bad friend and a bad lover isn't the same as being evil.

3) Anyone, even Evil characters, will show respect or affection for those they love.

4) Disliking being told what to do (who doesn't?) doesn't mean the character hates Law even when it's working for him.

So I'd say True Neutral; not because of a balance of any kind, but because of a lack of any proof of belonging to anything else. What I see is a normal person, living a normal life: exceptional circunstances could make the character's true colors come to surface.

This same character could be of any of the non-lawful alignment. Under heroic condition, he would be

Neutral Good, if despite of his selfishness as a friend he risks himself for the weak; and despite of his independent personality, he doesn't care working with the Law.

Chaotic Good, if he cares not only for the weak, but also for anyone that's being constrained by Law, even if slightly.

True Neutral, if he's on his own in this dangerous world, but won't hurt strangers without a reason and doesn't care to share his time with Lawful people and institutions as long as they don't invade his personal space.

Chaotic Neutral, if Law disturbs him even when it's not directly messing with his life, and he can't stand Lawful institutions and would even work to disrupt them out of spite.

Neutral Evil, if he's willing to hurt strangers to achieve what he needs, but will tolerate the Law if he doesn't have an option.

Chaotic Evil, if he's criminally selfish, actively disruptind peace and hurting people.

Lawful alignments are out because Law is all about believing that "restrictions on other people and even on myself are fair".

Geordnet
2013-05-24, 10:17 AM
This same character could be of any of the non-lawful alignment.
That's why I would set him CN...

The way I see it, Neutral is for the edge cases, where there's not enough data to confirm either extreme. We can confirm this character is not Lawful; therefore, he is Chaotic. We can't rule out either Good or Evil, therefore he is Neutral.

Fable Wright
2013-05-24, 12:42 PM
I tend to view alignments through the M:tG color wheel (adapted for D&D here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157001)) and that places the character squarely as mono-Red, leaning slightly towards black. In the traditional alignment system, this would correspond very strongly with a CN alignment.

MirddinEmris
2013-05-24, 01:22 PM
Awful Childish.

Or Chaotic Evil, if we are talking DnD, after all inability to hurt does not make wishing it more "Good"

Saph
2013-05-24, 01:35 PM
Chaotic Neutral with evil tendencies.

Exediron
2013-05-24, 01:58 PM
Frankly, I think this is a pretty clear case of Chaotic Neutral. The consensus is right here.

"because they all tend to oppress my freedom to do whatever i want to do which is what i long for and really only care about despite seeming like i don't"

Although I find this statement rather difficult to read, it seems that you/the character believe that laws, rules etc. exist only to oppress freedom and serve no useful purpose. This pretty much rules lawful out and strongly suggests chaotic.

I believe that good and bad are subjective as what one person views as good another will view as bad etc

This, combined with some of the later opinions, is clearly neutral. Don't care about good, don't care about evil, no particular moral compass that I can see. Neutral.

PS: I don't see how it matters if I'm assessing a character or a person - I'll do it exactly the same way. That kind of the point of role-playing.

Geordnet
2013-05-24, 11:02 PM
I believe that good and bad are subjective as what one person views as good another will view as bad etc

This, combined with some of the later opinions, is clearly neutral. Don't care about good, don't care about evil, no particular moral compass that I can see. Neutral.

Actually, I thought "lack of a moral compass" was the definition of Evil. :smallconfused:

Exediron
2013-05-24, 11:13 PM
Actually, I thought "lack of a moral compass" was the definition of Evil. :smallconfused:

Nah. It can be, but the 'lack of moral compass' here is just a lack of any clear inner morality. That could certainly lead to evil, but I don't see any indication that his tendencies are particularly evil. He's just a person who doesn't appear to have any moral inhibitions.

A lack of moral compass pretty much just means that he can't tell right from wrong; that doesn't make a person evil all on its own. What often makes a person with no moral compass evil is that - not believing in or having any perception of the moral implications of their actions -they do things that are evil because they're easy, because they're fun or just because they can. Without more insight into the thoughts of the hypothetical character I really couldn't say if he had such tendencies or not, thus neutral - with a possible leaning towards evil. While people with no moral compass aren't always evil, they're very rarely good.

TuggyNE
2013-05-24, 11:16 PM

Not really.
"Evil" implies hurting, oppressing, and killing others. Some evil creatures simply have no compassion for others and kill without qualms if doing so is convenient. Others actively pursue evil, killing for sport or out of duty to some evil deity or master.

People who are neutral with respect to good and evil have compunctions against killing the innocent but lack the commitment to make sacrifices to protect or help others. Neutral people are committed to others by personal relationships.

Being good or evil can be a conscious choice. For most people, though, being good or evil is an attitude that one recognizes but does not choose. Being neutral on the good-evil axis usually represents a lack of commitment one way or the other, but for some it represents a positive commitment to a balanced view. While acknowledging that good and evil are objective states, not just opinions, these folk maintain that a balance between the two is the proper place for people, or at least for them.

Animals and other creatures incapable of moral action are neutral rather than good or evil. Even deadly vipers and tigers that eat people are neutral because they lack the capacity for morally right or wrong behavior.

Lack of commitment and/or inability to decide morality is mostly characteristic of Neutral.

Kudaku
2013-05-25, 02:24 AM
I'd say strongly chaotic, neutral with slight evil tendencies, and somewhat immature.

I'd mention that age would come into play with the alignment system (being old enough to appreciate the consequences of your actions and so on) but the character in question is clearly old enough to be having sex, so I'll leave that part out.