PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: Ideal Builds From the Start

Alec Argentum
2013-05-19, 10:00 PM
Well, if the title isn't descriptive enough, I'm looking for the best/most flavorful and applicable character builds for any and all classes and all Paizo source races (Please, no 3rd party races or classes). This thread is to help my group better understand and build the characters they want while not becoming completely useless because they wanted to "build for flavor".

While I'm a fairly competent player, even I understand that some things just don't work. Like a bard coming into 5th level party only knowing lingual and cultural spells and has zero combat or support casting use in a combat and support setting.

With that being said, the combos I'd like to see the most to start off are LE Tengu Oracle (Shigenjo Archetype), CN Catfolk Samurai (Swordsaint archetype with Order of the Black Daimyo), and a N Dwarf Druid (Saurian Shaman Archetype)... We love our archetypes lol

TheJudicator
2013-05-19, 10:45 PM
Okay, so initially I thought what you were asking for was a bit to vague to warrant any response; however, rereading it makes me believe you are just looking for various sample builds other players have seen and used that fit you parameters.

That being said...the builds you supplied for study are...interesting.

In regards to the LE Tengu Shigenjo, the idea of an oracle with monk flavors presents itself with opportunities, but also challenges. The archetype alone encourages a monk's style of combat, warranting a careful spell selection and use of weapons or attacks, slightly favoring melee, which always carries the risk associated with any caster. With the alignment, it would seem to favor that such a character would commit acts that most would find atrocious, yet through a shrewd mind and choice of words would use their philosophies to manipulate the conditions into their favor.

The catfolk sword saint presents an interesting study. Based on how it is built, the race class combo suggests a depiction of the "robed killer" type most often found in animation using the samurai themes. A nimble warrior capable of striking first and leaving his opponent on the floor before he knew it with one decisive blow. The alignment suggests an aggressive persona, regarding their personal beliefs to be superior, alluding to a crass, almost rude persona. As for how this would fit in a party, one could simply peruse a number of sample animations for characters of that archetypal personality for use as samples.

I wish I could help with the Druid, but frankly have little to no experience. I'll have to get back to you in that one.

Snowbluff
2013-05-19, 11:04 PM
Since I've been going over a lot of material due to the new edition war(?), I came up with a few.

Tielfing Paladin. Level one your Claws (Maw or Claw) add an extra attack for smiting. Their favored class bonus (+1 LoH hp when healing themselves) makes them really resilient. Use the Fiendish Heritage options (annoy your DM if he forces you to use the feat; Aasimar get the same options at no feat tax) for a cha bonus, and take Fey Founding.

Halfing Paladin. Buy a pony and a lance and go to town. Ponies are medium, so they can go most places players can. They make pretty sweet mounted fighters and their FCB (+.5 hp on LoH) is good for patching up the party.

Gunslinger. Pistolero. Touch Attacks all day long. Just be careful managing your resources.

Aasimar Sound Striker/Magician Bard. Low levels you're the bard, with some spells and skills. After that, Weird Words can be extended with Lingering Performance and the Magician Bonus. You can grab some good spell for Magical Lineage Magic (Missile with Toppling Spell, Persistent/Intensified Snowball) at level 2.

Half Elf Synthethist. Actually a little weaker than regular Summoner, but it makes you rather tough. You can use the Magical Lineage as above.

Actually, Magical Lineage plus Snowball or Magic Missile is a fairly easy way of winning level 1.