PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the drow Priestess of Loth

dantiesilva
2013-05-19, 11:21 PM
Hello everyone, I am new to homebrew and am in much need of everyone's assistance. In an upcoming campaign I plan on playing the typical Drow high Priestess dedicated to Lolth. And while looking around I could not find much that was fitting which I was surprised at as I am a very big fan of the spider queen wars, and the Legend of Drizzit.

The only class I could find that came close to the feel of a high priestess was this
http://www.dnd-gate.de/gate3/page/index.php?id=371

And well besides its Whip of fangs ability myself and a friend tried to improve it...but as neither one of us are skilled at such things I came here to ask for your help. So if anyone is willing to help it would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Debihuman
2013-05-20, 01:44 AM
Arachne Prestige Class from Faiths and Pantheons, which is specific to Loth, might be what you are looking for.

Debby

dantiesilva
2013-05-20, 06:12 AM
I saw that and as with this was very unimpressed for the most part, that is why I wanted to either improve this one, or perhaps fuse the two together. Our ideas so far were

Pre requs

Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Race: Drow
Skills: Diplomacy 5 ranks, Intimidate 3 ranks, Knowledge (Religion) 4 ranks.
Domain: Must have access to the Spider domain.

Spellcasting ability: Ability to cast 3rd level divine spells.
Note: Reduced casting requirement to level 3 so characters can enter the PrC at level 6, without shinanigans.

Level 2: Change Spidercloak Armor to have it's bonus stack with any other Natural Armor the Priestess might have, such as from Barkskin or Amulet of Natural Armor, but lower the bonus to +1, +2 at level 5 and +3 at level 8.

Change Smite Infidel to once per encounter, can be used against any who oppose or disrespect Lolth or the servants of such things, so it can be used against undead or constructs that are imployed by them, and increase the damage to be equal to character level.

Level 3 I'm thinking about a spider calling ability that's based on Priestess + Cha level.

Not sure what for level 4, but dispel magic doesn't seem fitting...

Level 5, I'd say an ability to control spiders similar to the limitations of Animate Dead, so no more than twice HD in any single spider and no more than 4Xcaster level HD total. Also allowing to take control over spiders that are controlled or summoned by others via an opposed Cha check.

But well as neither myself or him make homebrew I came here asking for help in the matter. So if you are anyone else could help me that would be great thanks.

Debihuman
2013-05-20, 11:14 AM
What specifically were you not impressed by? It helps to know.

Debby

dantiesilva
2013-05-20, 11:29 AM
I liked the idea of gaining the whip of fangs from the PrC, perhaps having it improve as you level up?

I also liked the smite infidel ability, though thought like the paladin it was a bit weak and changed it to once per encounter and to effect any enemy of Lolth instead of the normal idea. The rest of the class however I was not impressed about. The whole idea of the spidercloack armor was impresive as well if it was not in a spot where it could not stack with other forms. Perhaps making it a deflection, or even an unnamed bonus would have been better in my eyes.

I liked how the Arachne got a spider mount, as well as how it got the famous (yet not useful) Zin-Carla ritual. Webspinner was another iconic, in my eyes, ability the Arachne ability that I would like to see used. Dominate male drow is well, they should already fear rasing a hand to you so it is odd to see it as an ability, though in a certain aspect and cases useful. Transcendence, Yochlol Form come in late, and Yochlol form is well not very impresive in my eyes, though I can see why it could be useful in a long term game. (Tricking the enemies of your house into thinking they have called one of the handmaidens and instead you show up and tell them that it would bring the disfavor of lolth at this time and to instead strike fast at say another house that is in competition with your house, perhaps the next one up so you eliminate two houses and move up as well as get rid of a potential threat early on.

I hope this helps you and thank you very much for paying so much attention. And was it a spell that turned drow into Driders, or an ability the priestess had? As that would be interesting to incorporate as well if it was an ability.

Debihuman
2013-05-20, 12:01 PM
The Zin-Carla matches what is in the books, specifically Exile. So while you don't think it is important, please understand the history of this. This is how Matron Malice brought back Drizzt's father in the book.

Debby

dantiesilva
2013-05-20, 12:13 PM
Oh I know, favorite book series. I was merely stating how weak the template is. Not that it was not useful. After all you can only use it for something Lolth wants done, as well as +4La for DR5/ MAgic( I think), and become undead. Seems like more loss then gain fro +4La in my eyes.

So do you think you can help?

Debihuman
2013-05-20, 02:44 PM
I'd forgotten they updated the Zin-Carla Template in the Player's Guide to Faerûn Web Enhancement with LA +4. I'm pretty sure that's screwed up because WotC had horrible proofreading.

Since the original template allowed base creatures to keep their special qualities, I think the template should grant darkvision 60 ft unless the base creature has better darkvision, and then the base creature should keep its better darkvision.

DR 5/magic makes sense to add.

As templates go, it's pretty sparse. Maybe you should just redesign the zin-carla template to make it something a bit more impressive but keeping true to the books. I have to admit that I haven't read the books so I'm sure how powerful the template should be.

Here is my suggestion:

Zin-Carla Template

See text from Faiths and Pantheons.

Creating a Zin-Carla

The zin-carla template can be applied to the body of any formerly living creature with Intelligence 3 or higher. It uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type: Size remains unchanged. The base creature’s type changes to Undead and it gains the Augmented Subtype. Do not recalculate base attack bonuses, saves or skill points. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice: Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d12s.

Speed: As base creature.

Armor Class: As base creature.

Attack: The zin-carla retains all the base creature’s attacks, and its weapon and armor proficiencies.

Special Qualities: The zin-carla retains all the base creature’s special qualities and gains the following:

Darkvision (Ex): The zin-carla gains darkvision 60 ft., unless the base creature’s darkvision is better, in which case use the better darkvision.

Damage Reduction (Su): A zin-carla’s undead body is tough, giving the creature damage reduction 5/magic.

Turn Resistance (Ex): A zin-carla has +2 turn resistance.

Abilities: As an undead creature, a zin-carla has no Constitution score.

Skills: Same as the base creature.

Environment: Any land and underground.

Organization: Solitary.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +1.

Treasure: Same as the base creature.

Alignment: Always neutral.

Advancement: —.

Level Adjustment: —.

Debby

dantiesilva
2013-05-20, 09:45 PM
I could see it being a LA+1 as it dose gain undead immunities as well as DR5/Magic, but not more then that.

What about the class though for the drow priestess? Have you thought about anything for that?

Carl
2013-05-20, 10:05 PM
Can you link any lore sources on said priestesses, a bit bored atm so if i can find suitable info to know what i should be making i'd be happy to take a stab at it.

dantiesilva
2013-05-20, 10:25 PM
1 of the three classes I would like to use as a base Named Drow priestess of Lolth
http://www.dnd-gate.de/gate3/page/index.php?id=371

2nd of the three classes I would like to use as a base named Arachne
http://drowcampaign.roleplaynexus.com/prestigearachne.html

3rd of the three classes I would like to use as a base named Arachnomancer
http://drowcampaign.roleplaynexus.com/prestigearachnomancer.html

Drow priestess Lore
http://www.realms.force9.co.uk/UD/drow/dcult.htm

http://amiawiki.shatuga.com/index.php/Drow_Tips:_the_Yath

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drow_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29

hope this helps thank you.

Debihuman
2013-05-21, 07:54 AM
Undead don't normally get LA since you can't play them as PCs.

Debby

dantiesilva
2013-05-21, 07:59 AM
Well technically speaking you can not play a Zin-Carla either, you can only tell one what to do. But that is not what this thread is for. Its to make a PrC for drow priestess of Lolth, so any ideas?

Debihuman
2013-05-21, 09:14 AM
Since you seemed to like the Arachne Prestige Class for the most part, why no just go with that? It's not like it needed much fixing :-)

Until you decide exactly which features you want and which features you don't want, there's not much anyone can do for you.

For homebrew, you kinda just make it as best you can and then when you are done, ask for help at that time. We can always fix it later but until we actually have something to look at there's not much to do.

Debby

dantiesilva
2013-05-21, 09:21 AM
Example
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
0|
2|
0|
2 | Gift of lolth, whip, Weapon foucs, Familiar, +1 caster level

2nd|
1|
3|
0|
3|Spider cloak armor +1, Smite infidel,Spider eyes, +1 caster level

3rd|
2|
3|
1|
3| Summon Yochlol, Web spinner,Spider magic +1 caster level

4th|
3|
4|
1|
4|Spider form (S,M,L), +1 caster level

5th|
3|
4|
1|
4| Spider mount,Smite infidel 2/encounter +1 Caster level

6th|
4|
5|
2|
5| Spider cloak armor (+4), Kiss of Lolth (1d6str damage), +1 caster level

7th|
5|
5|
2|
5| Wall of webs 1/day, Dominate male drow, Spider summoning

8th|
6|
6|
2|
6|Spider form (T,H), Smite infidel 3/encounter, +1 caster level

9th|
6|
6|
3|
6| Zin-carla, Spider blast +1caster level

10th|
7|
7|
3|
7|Spider cloak armor (+5),Transcendence, Yochlol Form +1 caster level [/table]

Gift of Lolth
Due to their extensive training as well as affinity to spiders, Lolth grants these priestesses the ability to speak with all spiders and spider like creatures as well as being immune to any sort of spider or spider like creature poison. Spiders, on the other hand, don't harm these priestesses in any way, except if desired by Lolth.

Whip of Fangs
As those priestesses are the elite among the academy students, they are usually rewarded with a powerful version of the dreaded Whip of Fangs as a sign of graduation and symbol of rank. Usually , those whips have 4 or more heads.

Weapon focus
A priestes of Lolth gains weapon focus with her whip of fangs

Familiar
A Priestess of Lolth can gain a hairy spider as a familiar. Treat like a sorcerers familiar of the same level as the priestess of lolth.

Spider cloak Armor
Once per day a priestess may invoke this special ability which changes her skin to a hardened chitine armor of an spider, increasing her natural armor bonus by +3. The longer the priestess stays in the service, the more the armor improves. The bonus becomes +4 at level 6 of the prestige class, +5 at level 10. This ability works stays for 10 minutes per level.

Smite infidel
Exacting the will of Lolth is one of the prime tasks of the members of this class and they may use this ability to do so against anyone who oppose them or show disrespect to Lolth. Once per encounter, the priestess may add her Charisma bonus to her attack roll and deals 1 point of extra damage per HD level. This ability can target undead as well as golems controlled by those who disrespect lolth.

This ability increases by 1 at 5th level, and once again at 8th.

Spider eyes
At 2nd level, a priestess of Lolth can see through the eyes of any spider within 400 feet + 40 feet per divine caster level.
In addition, this ability strengthens the link with her familiar. As long as the arachne and her familiar remain on the same plane, she can see and hear as if she were standing where it is, no matter the distance, and during her turn she can switch her perception from its location to her own or back again as a free action.

Summon Yochlol
In a special ceremony, a priestess may summon a Yochlol to ask for advice or help, in rare cases for assistance in a task. This spell is only cast within the compounds of a sanctuary of Lolth and may be used only once per month. Casting this spell is a strenuous affair, lasting at least an hour as well as taking it's tall on the spellcasting powers of the priestess. Summoning the Yochlol uses up all fourth level spells the priestess can prepare for the day in addition to the Summon Yochlol spell. If the priestess decides to put in more effort, i.e. sacrifices fifth or higher level spells as well, the information given by the Yochlol may be more accurate, the outsider as such more powerful (add one HD for any fifth or higher level spell used in the casting, up to 12 HD) and be more willing to stay.

Apart from what was said above, the spell works like Summon Monsters, but either Lolth or the Yochlol herself decides how long it remains on the prime material plane. In any case, it is always the Spider Queen who allows the Yochlol to answer the summoning, thus the priestess' attempts may be in vain, if she lacks Lolth's favor at the time. While the spell use has certainly some considerable back-draws, the information or even fighting power gained may outweigh this several times, not least because the tanar'ri has hundreds of years of experience to dwell upon.

Web spinner
At 3rd level, a priestess of Lolth can ignore Web spells and spider webbing as if affected by a Freedom of Movement spell. She can walk along webs as if on solid ground (no Balance check required). The Web spell becomes part of her spell list as a 2nd level cleric spell.

Spider magic
Add the following spells to the character’s spell list (or to each spell list, if he has more than one)
0 level
Stick
1st level
Summon Small Monstrous Spider
2nd Level
Spiderskin
Summon Medium Monstrous Spider
3rd Level
Neutralize Poison (spiders only)
Poison
Summon Large Monstrous Spider
4th Level
Giant Vermin (spiders only)
Repel Vermin
Summon Huge Monstrous Spider
5th Level
Spider Plague
6th Level
Summon Gargantuan Monstrous Spider
7th Level
Spider Shapes
8th Level
Summon Colossal Monstrous Spider
9th Level
Shapechange
* For the summon spells listed it is as summon monster except the spell summons one monstrous spider of the indicated size, 1d3 monstrous spiders one size category smaller, or 1d4+1 monstrous spiders two size categories smaller.
* Spider plague is as insect plague but summons spider swarms instead of locusts swarms.
* Spider shapes is as animal shapes but allows transformation into monstrous spider form only.
Spider magic spells are added to the character’s class list of spells, so he may choose them whenever he has the opportunity to acquire new spells of the appropriate level. He does not automatically learn them (in the case of a spellcaster who keeps spellbooks) or know them (in the rare case of a spellcaster who does not keep spellbooks).

Spider form (S,M,L)
Beginning at 4th level, a priestess of lolth may transform himself into a Small, Medium, or Large monstrous spider three times per day. At 8th level, he can also take the form of a Tiny or Huge monstrous spider. This ability functions like polymorph, except the indicated forms are the only ones available and the duration of the change is up to 10 minutes per Priestess of lolth level. Resuming normal form requires a standard action, but does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Spider mount
At 5th level, a Priestess of lolth can call an unusually intelligent, strong, and loyal spider to serve her as a steed. Such mounts are always monstrous spiders, with medium size (for Small creatures) or large (for a Medium size arachne) being most common. In all other respects, such spider mounts are identical to a paladin's mount as discussed in Chapter 3 in the Player's Handbook.
Should the priestess of lolths spider mount die, she may call for another one after a year and a day. The new mount has all the accumulated abilities due a mount of the prestige class level of the Priestess of lolth.

Kiss of Lolth
At 6th level a Priestess of Lolth can as a free action secret a poison to cover her lips. this ability deals 1d6str damage to anyone kissed by the priestess of Lolth. In each case, a successful Fortitude save (DC 10 + Priestess of lolth level + Priestess of lolth Con modifier) halves the damage, to a minimum of 1 point. The Priestess of lolth poison cannot be harvested or saved for any purpose.

Wall of webs
At 7th level, a priestess of lolth gains the ability to make a wall-like barrier of webs once per day. Unlike the webs produced by the web spell, those in the wall of webs are resistant to fire and as tough as steel. A wall of webs functions like a wall of iron spell (caster level equals the priestess of lolth level), except that the Priestess of lolth can use her Webspinner ability to move through the wall unhindered, and any other creature can use freedom of movement to do the same.

Dominate male drow
At 7th level, an priestess of lolth can cast Dominate Person once per day, affecting only male drow.

Spider summoning
This spell calls 1d4 large size fiendish monstrous spiders (detailed in the MONSTER MANUAL tome) + 1 for every level the priestess has gained beyond the 7th in the prestige class to serve her (1d4+3 at level 10). Only true arachnids are summoned by this spell, not similar insect creatures or beings using magic to take arachnid form (such as Lolth or a wizard using spider shape). They appear within 100 feet of the caster on the round of the spell's casting and obey the caster's command on the round thereafter. They have their natural maximum hit points and poison reserves and fight to the death for the caster with utter loyalty, following the caster's silent mental urgings as to targets, direction to move, and tasks to do. The caster can cast other spells without ending this spell's control. When the spell expires, any surviving spiders disappear, returning whence they came.

(Note: The spiders may be substituted with Sword Spiders detailed in Monsters of Faerun.)

Zin-carla
At 9th level, a priestess of lolth can create a special form of undead called a zin-carla; see sidebar at bottom of page. A zin-carla, or spirit-wraith, cannot be made to cast spells without the priestess of lolth losing control over its mind entirely, but can fully use its combat abilities and any skills possessed in life.
The priestess of lolth maintains a telepathic link to the spirit-wraith over any distance (as long as both remain on the same plane) that allows her to communicate with and control it. The priestess of lolth must make a successful Concentration check opposed by the spirit-wraith's Will saving throw once per day and whenever the spirit-wraith enters combat in order to continue to maintain control. Control is also severed if the priestess of lolth and the zin-carla are on different planes or if the priestess of lolth dies.
If control is ever lost for any reason, the telepathic link between priestess of lolth and spirit-wraith ends immediately and cannot be restored. The zin-carla then becomes a free-willed undead, seeking only vengeance against its creator, and against the supernatural ability to know the direction and distance to the priestess of lolth that animated it. If it manages to slay the priestess of lolth, the zin-carla crumbles to dust. In the rare circumstance when the priestess of lolth dies without the zin-carla killing her, the zin-carla becomes a free-willed undead.
The zin-carla ritual requires 8 hours and the intact corpse of the creature to be animated. The priestess of lolth must expend 50 xp per hit die of the creature to be animated.

Spider blast
Once per day, a 9th-level priestess of lolth can produce a 50-foot-long, cone-shaped blast of extremely poisonous, normal sized spiders. Every creature within the area of the blast takes 5d4 points of damage and must make 1d4 Fortitude saves against poisons (DC 10 + priestess of lolth level + priestess of lolth Con modifier; 1d6 points of Strength damage for both initial and secondary damage). Each creature is allowed a Reflex save at the same DC for partial effect: Success means the victim takes half damage and need make only one Fortitude saving throw against poison (although the second saving thrown normally required against a poison’s secondary effect still applies.) The spiders fade away at the end of the priestess of lolth turn

Transcendence
At 10th level, a priestess of lolth becomes a creature blessed of Lolth, transcending her mortal body and becoming a divine creature (a native outsider). Her type changes to Outsider (chaotic, evil), which means she is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than a humanoid. For instance, Charm Person doesn't affect her, but Banishment and similar spells can affect her.

Yochlol Form
Once per day the priestess of lolth may take the form of a yolchlol, a large monstrous black spider, or a cloud of noxious gas (as a yolchlol does), as if using a Shapechange spell. She may change form among these shapes or her own shape for a period of 1 minute per caster level.

dantiesilva
2013-05-21, 10:13 AM
Ok I have a base layout now for it to be made balanced please.

Debihuman
2013-05-21, 09:34 PM
That is kinda ridiculous since all you did was combine prestige classes into one with way too many abilities. At most a Prestige Class should grant one or two abilities per level and if one of those is spellcasting levels then it should be just one thing.

Balance....learn it.

Debby

dantiesilva
2013-05-21, 10:05 PM
...I am sorry did you not read my first post...I came here asking all of you to help me build a class. Now I do like criticism but when you told me if I wanted help to draw up an idea that is what I did. If I was good at homebrew I would not have come here asking for help. So if you could help me constructively that would be great.

dantiesilva
2013-05-22, 12:06 AM
Remove spider blast, Spider form, Spider eyes, and kiss of Lolth seem like it would make it better if we spread the abilities around?

Debihuman
2013-05-22, 03:36 AM
Here is the most updated version:

Priestess of Lolth Prestige Class

To qualify to become a Priestess of Lolth, a character must fulfil all the following criteria.

Only female Drow clerics of Lolth can become priestesses.
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Skills: Concentration 6 ranks, Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks.
Domain: Must have access to the Spider domain.
Spellcasting ability: Ability to cast 4th level divine spells.

CLASS SKILLS: The priestess's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (alchemy) (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int)

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier

Table: Priestess of Lolth
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting

1st|
0|
2|
0|
2 | Gift of Lolth, Whip, Weapon Focus| +1 spellcaster level

2nd|
1|
3|
0|
3|Spider Cloak Armor (+3), Smite Infidel| +1 spellcaster level

3rd|
2|
3|
1|
3| Summon Yochlol, Spider Magic| +1 spellcaster level

4th|
3|
4|
1|
4|Web Spinner| +1 spellcaster level

5th|
3|
4|
1|
4|Smite Infidel, Spider Mount |+1 spellcaster level

6th|
4|
5|
2|
5| Spider cloak armor (+4), Kiss of Lolth | +1 spellcaster level

7th|
5|
5|
2|
5| Wall of webs 1/day, Dominate Male Drow|—

8th|
6|
6|
2|
6|Spider Summoning, Smite Infidel | +1 spellcaster level

9th|
6|
6|
3|
6|Zin-Carla| +1 spellcaster level

10th|
7|
7|
3|
7|Spider Cloak Armor (+5), Yochlol Form|+1 spellcaster level [/table]

CLASS FEATURES: All the following are class features of the Priestess of Lolth prestige class.

Weapons Proficiency: A Priestess of Lolth is proficient with Exotic Weapons and specifically drow weapons and armor. All priestess of Lolth carry a scourge of fangs.

Gift of Lolth (Ex): Due to their extensive training as well as affinity to spiders, Lolth grants these priestesses the ability to speak with all spiders and spider like creatures as well as immunity to any sort of spider or spider-like creature's poison. Spiders, on the other hand, don't harm these priestesses in any way, except if desired by Lolth.

Whip: As priestesses of Lolth are the elite among the academy students, they are usually rewarded with a powerful version of the dreaded scourge of fangs as a sign of graduation and symbol of rank. See stats for scourge of fangs in Serpent Kingdoms p. 152.

Weapon Focus: A priestess of Lolth gains weapon focus with her scourge of fangs as a bonus feat.

Spider Cloak Armor: Once per day as a standard action, a priestess may invoke this special ability which changes her skin to a hardened chitin armor of an spider, increasing her natural armor bonus by +3. The longer the priestess stays in the service, the more the armor improves. The bonus becomes +4 at level 6 of the prestige class, +5 at level 10. This ability works stays for 10 minutes per level.

Smite Infidel: Exacting the will of Lolth is one of the prime tasks of the members of this class and they may use this ability to do so against anyone who opposes them or shows disrespect to Lolth. Once per day , the priestess may add her Charisma bonus to her attack roll and deal 1 point of extra damage per HD level. This ability can target undead as well as golems controlled by those who disrespect Lolth. This ability increases by one at 5th level, and once again at 8th level.

Summon Yochlol (Sp): In a special ceremony, a priestess may summon a yochlol to ask for advice or help, or, in rare cases, may ask the yochlol for assistance in a task. This spell is only cast within the compounds of a sanctuary of Lolth and may be used only once per month. Casting this spell is a strenuous affair, lasting at least an hour as well as taking it's toll on the spellcasting powers of the priestess. Summoning the yochlol uses up all fourth level spells the priestess can prepare for the day in addition to the summon yochlol spell. If the priestess decides to put in more effort, i.e. sacrifices fifth or higher level spells as well, the information given by the Yochlol may be more accurate, the outsider as such more powerful (add one HD for any fifth or higher level spell used in the casting, up to 12 HD) and be more willing to stay.

Apart from what was said above, the spell works like summon monster spells, but either Lolth or the Yochlol herself decides how long it remains on the prime material plane. In any case, it is always the Spider Queen who allows the Yochlol to answer the summoning, thus the priestess' attempts may be in vain, if she lacks Lolth's favor at the time. While the spell use has certainly some considerable back-draws, the information or even fighting power gained may outweigh this several times, not least because the tanar'ri has hundreds of years of experience to dwell upon.

Spider Magic (Sp): Add the following spells to the character’s spell list (or to each spell list, if he has more than one)

0 level: Stick
1st level: Summon Small Monstrous Spider
2nd Level: Spiderskin, Summon Medium Monstrous Spider
3rd Level: Neutralize Poison (spiders only), Poison, Summon Large Monstrous Spider
4th Level: Giant Vermin (spiders only), Repel Vermin, Summon Huge Monstrous Spider
5th Level: Spider Plague
6th Level: Summon Gargantuan Monstrous Spider
7th Level: Spider Shapes
8th Level: Summon Colossal Monstrous Spider
9th Level: Shapechange
* For the summon spells listed it is as summon monster except the spell summons one monstrous spider of the indicated size, 1d3 monstrous spiders one size category smaller, or 1d4+1 monstrous spiders two size categories smaller.
* Spider plague is as insect plague but summons spider swarms instead of locusts swarms.
* Spider shapes is as animal shapes but allows transformation into monstrous spider form only.
Spider magic spells are added to the character’s class list of spells, so she may choose them whenever she has the opportunity to acquire new spells of the appropriate level. She does not automatically learn them (in the case of a spellcaster who keeps spellbooks) or know them (in the rare case of a spellcaster who does not keep spellbooks).

Web Spinner: At 4th level, a priestess of Lolth can ignore web spells and spider webbing as if affected by a freedom of movement spell. She can walk along webs as if on solid ground (no Balance check required). The web spell becomes part of her spell list as a 2nd level cleric spell.

Spider Mount: At 5th level, a priestess of Lolth can call an unusually intelligent, strong, and loyal spider to serve her as a steed. Such mounts are always monstrous spiders, with Medium size (for Small Priestesses) or Large (for Medium size Priestesses ) being most common. In all other respects, such spider mounts are identical to a paladin's mount.

Should the priestess of Lolth's spider mount die, she may call for another one after a year and a day. The new mount has all the accumulated abilities due a mount of the prestige class level of the priestess of Lolth.

Kiss of Lolth: At 6th level, a priestess of Lolth can as a free action secrete a poison to cover her lips. This ability deals 1d6 points of Strength damage to anyone kissed by the priestess of Lolth. In each case, a successful Fortitude save (DC 10 + Priestess of Lolth's level + Priestess of Lolth's Constitution modifier) halves the damage, to a minimum of 1 point. The Priestess of Lolth's poison cannot be harvested or saved for any purpose.

Wall of Webs: At 7th level, a priestess of Lolth gains the ability to make a wall-like barrier of webs once per day. Unlike the webs produced by the web spell, those in the wall of webs are resistant to fire and as tough as steel. A wall of webs functions like a wall of iron spell (caster level equals the priestess of Lolth level), except that the Priestess of Lolth can use her Webspinner ability to move through the wall unhindered, and any other creature can use freedom of movement to do the same.

Dominate Male Drow (Sp): At 7th level, an priestess of Lolth can cast dominate person once per day, affecting only male drow.

Spider Summoning (Sp): This spell calls 1d4 Large-size fiendish monstrous spiders + 1 additional spider for every level the priestess has gained beyond the 7th in the prestige class to serve her (1d4+3 at level 10). Only true arachnids are summoned by this spell, not similar insect creatures or beings using magic to take arachnid form (such as Lolth or a wizard using spider shape). They appear within 100 feet of the caster on the round of the spell's casting and obey the caster's command on the round thereafter. They have their natural maximum hit points and poison reserves and fight to the death for the caster with utter loyalty, following the caster's silent mental urgings as to targets, direction to move, and tasks to do. The caster can cast other spells without ending this spell's control. When the spell expires, any surviving spiders disappear, returning whence they came.

(Note: The spiders may be substituted with Sword Spiders detailed in Monsters of Faerun.)

Zin-Carla: At 9th level, a priestess of Lolth can create a special form of undead called a zin-carla as an Arachne from Faiths and Pantheons with the following Template.

Zin-Carla Template

Creating a Zin-Carla

The zin-carla template can be applied to the body of any formerly living creature with Intelligence 3 or higher. It uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type: Size remains unchanged. The base creature’s type changes to Undead and it gains the Augmented Subtype. Do not recalculate base attack bonuses, saves or skill points. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice: Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d12s.

Speed: As base creature.

Armor Class: As base creature.

Attack: The zin-carla retains all the base creature’s attacks, and its weapon and armor proficiencies.

Special Qualities: The zin-carla retains all the base creature’s special qualities and gains the following:

Darkvision (Ex): The zin-carla gains darkvision 60 ft., unless the base creature’s darkvision is better, in which case use the better darkvision.
Damage Reduction (Su): A zin-carla’s undead body is tough, giving the creature damage reduction 5/magic.
Turn Resistance (Ex): A zin-carla has +2 turn resistance.

Abilities: As an undead creature, a zin-carla has no Constitution score.

Skills: Same as the base creature.

Environment: Any land and underground.

Organization: Solitary.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +1.

Treasure: Same as the base creature.

Alignment: Always neutral.

Advancement: —.

Level Adjustment: —.

Yochlol Form: Once per day as a standard action, a priestess of Lolth may take the form of a yolchlol, a large monstrous black spider, or a cloud of noxious gas (as a yolchlol does), as if using a shapechange spell. She may change form among these shapes or her own shape for a period of 1 minute per caster level. See Fiendish Codex 1 for Yochlol stats.

Let me know if I missed anything.

CinuzIta
2013-05-22, 05:27 AM
don't have much ideas about the class itself but, if you want to create a whip-using character, you could take a look at the whips' feats and alternative class features I created. You can find them in my signature!

dantiesilva
2013-05-22, 07:49 AM
@CinuzIta The whip is there mostly for the fact it is a traditional cleric of Lolth weapon that all high priestess gain upon graduation from Arach-Tinilith. I will however look at the whip feats you have as I will be making a whole house once this class is complete.

@Debihuman

1. On the contrary I explained that the priestess of Lolth link I showed had very few of the abilities that the traditonal drow women had in their society and used the other classes to point out key things that it was missing. The Zin-Carla Template being one of the most major ones it was missing (And your template is about the same as the one in the web enhancement just it has no LA now and is not a playable race, though in truth they should not be so I do appreciate it).

2. In the main books I have read (The legend of Drizzit series) The drow priestess seemed all to be adept at calling a Yochlol as the ability says but much more then that they did not point out. They could create the Zin-Carla, call a Yochol. I would assume that it was implied that spider cloak was in there just well they kind of can't write in a story a +3 ability boost.

I was suggested by a friend to change it per encounter so I did so, but if it would be more balanced to have smite infidel as a per day ability thats fine.

I in truth threw in Spider form because I saw it appear on two of the classes and as such tried adding it in, Just like each class had a for of the gift of Lolth as well as Webspinner so I kept them.

So we could remove
Spider form at 4th and 8th level
Take the familiar of at 1st level and just keep the mount
Spiderblast at 9th
And transcendence at 10.

Now we would have things a lot more spread out.

Table: Priestess of Lolth
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting

1st|
0|
2|
0|
2 | Gift of Lolth, Whip, Weapon Focus| +1 spellcaster level

2nd|
1|
3|
0|
3|Spider Cloak Armor (+3), Smite Infidel| +1 spellcaster level

3rd|
2|
3|
1|
3| Summon Yochlol, Spider magic| +1 spellcaster level

4th|
3|
4|
1|
4|Web Spinner| +1 spellcaster level

5th|
3|
4|
1|
4|Smite Infidel, Spider mount |+1 spellcaster level

6th|
4|
5|
2|
5| Spider cloak armor (+4), Kiss of Lolth | +1 spellcaster level

7th|
5|
5|
2|
5| Wall of webs 1/day, Dominate male drow, |—

8th|
6|
6|
2|
6|Spider summoning, Smite infidel | +1 spellcaster level

9th|
6|
6|
3|
6| Zin-carla| +1 spellcaster level

10th|
7|
7|
3|
7|Spider cloak armor (+5),Yochlol Form|+1 spellcaster level [/table]

Dose this seem more balanced?

Also I only copied and pasted the ability of spider cloak so not exactly sure myself what was going on.

Debihuman
2013-05-22, 09:41 AM
Yes, that does look a lot better.

Actually you just presented 3 classes but didn't say specifically take ability A from Class A, Ability B from Class B, and Ability C from Class C and make me a Prestige Class. That what you ultimately, did but I couldn't get you to write it down until you had completed it. I'm glad you did because you were the one able to decide what to keep and what to let go. I'm not sure it would have worked if I had made other suggestions :-). I am not familiar with the books so I couldn't guess as to what a Drow Priestess could do and how to make the class resemble the books (which is what I guessed you really wanted).

I've updated the class now. Please just look it over and see if anything was missed or messed up.

Thanks!
Debby

dantiesilva
2013-05-22, 10:44 AM
All that was missed was Spider summoning being removed from 7th level.

Would removing Craft (Weaving) 5 ranks from the prerequisites be a bad idea as well as dropping it to 3rd level spells?

Debihuman
2013-05-22, 01:32 PM
All that was missed was Spider summoning being removed from 7th level. thanks. It's gone now.

Would removing Craft (Weaving) 5 ranks from the prerequisites be a bad idea as well as dropping it to 3rd level spells?

It depends. It's not like any PCs would be likely to join this class so this is mostly a class that DMs will use. I think it should be a difficult class to enter. 5 ranks in a skill isn't much. Being able to cast 4th level divine spells is the bigger factor. A cleric gains 4th level spells at 7th level. If you drop the spells to 3rd level that means it can be entered at any time after 5th level. However, you are giving each Priestess a major weapon. Have you looked at what a scourge of fangs can do? It's in Serpent Kingdoms page 152 not Expedition to Demonweb Pits as I previously mentioned. . You have to decide when it is more appropriate to be giving that out for essentially free. It is worth 32,000 gp (according to that book). I'm not sure it was updated in the Magic Item Compendium. There is a scourge of pain in the MIC at page 59 which suggests that the scourge of fangs is grossly underpriced.

Debby

dantiesilva
2013-05-22, 10:49 PM
Well upon graduation from the academy they are given the scorage of fang by Lolth herself. How many heads it has depends on how much favor she shows that person, the most being 8. So I could see perhaps level 2 or 3, but not really any higher as it would play with the idea to much. Perhaps move whip and spider magic around?

As for the craft weavinng, I just have never seen it brought up in drow society, like at all ever so I found it a bit odd. Would say add more ranks to intimidate and handle animals are not on the class skills list. Perhaps up the ranks in knowledge needed so you can not enter before 4th level spells are cast as well?

Debihuman
2013-05-23, 08:01 AM
Let's leave whip where it is. I was just concerned about the implication of giving out scourge of fangs and how it would balance, but I've decided that the issue resolves once the skill prerequisites and class skill lists are sorted out.

The skill prerequisites should be changed as follows: Since no PC would have a specific Handle Animal (spiders) that should be removed from the prerequisites and skill list. A priestess doesn't even get a spider mount until 5th level, so that skill should be fixed to match standard 3.5.

Since members of this class are are coming from clerics and both Handle Animal and Intimidate are cross-skills for clerics, the new skill list below is more appropriate. Speaking of skills, alchemy isn't a skill in 3.5 either; it's now Craft (alchemy).

If you wanted to make the class even more difficult to enter add more ranks to Concentration and Knowledge (Religion) and remove the other requirements. You could add a feat requirement as well although, I'm not sure which feat would be most appropriate to require. Here are the new skill requirements for a priestess of Lolth:

Skills: Concentration 6 ranks and Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks.

Now that the prerequisites for the skill list are fixed, we can move onto the Class Skill list. I think the following is a better Class Skill List as it is fits the priestess's other abilities better.

CLASS SKILLS: The priestess's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (alchemy) (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int)

Listen and Move Silently would still be cross-skills for priestesses as they are for clerics. I replaced Craft (weave) with Craft (alchemy). It's still a very big skill list but one that I think works better.

It should also be noted that a drow priestess of Lolth is immune to her own poison kiss but is not immune to the poison kiss of other drow priestesses. This is important because 1. Drow have no immunity to poison and 2. Drow life is based on survival of the fittest.

I'll make the changes once you give me the go ahead.

Debby

dantiesilva
2013-05-23, 08:41 AM
You have the go ahead from me. It looks much better that way.

As for feat prerequisites that is where it gets hard as the drow feats presented are not very...impressive to say the least, one of the better ones being Lolth's meat, but saying it would not help, but dose fit theme wise we could add it.

Debihuman
2013-05-23, 09:25 AM
The Priestess of Lolth Prestige Class is now complete.

Debby

dantiesilva
2013-05-23, 10:48 AM
Thank yo very much for your time and patience in this matter.

Debihuman
2013-05-23, 09:43 PM
You're welcome.

Debby