PDA

View Full Version : Gear for a sniper

Fyermind
2013-05-20, 12:05 AM
I am building a L/E gestalt sniper for play from 1-20. The build is Strongheart halfling Mystic Ranger 4 / Targetteer fighter 1 / Deepwood sniper 10 / Cragtop Archer 5 // Artificer 20

Item familiar has been allowed for the artificer slot at 4th level and I will be using sacrifice rules from BoVD so low cost items are essentially free, and everything can basically be considered to be half price or less depending on the level I craft it.

So the big question is what should I make and in what order?

I know archers are highly gear dependent, and having the best bow and arrows possible is important, but what other items are most helpful?

Custom items may be permissible, so spells that are worth trying to make into items (such as find the gap and prestidigitation) are also of interest.

Edit: Current Gear Ideas
Wand of Hunter's Mercy
Permanent flying magic of some sort
Teleportation of some sort
The dream bow (+1 Distance Splitting Collision Magebane, force [given force as surpressable] dragonbone combosite longbow with a want chamber)
Scrying either in the form of a crystal ball or a wand of enlarged clairvoyance.
A Glass of Distance from Sandstorm
A mundane spyglass (halved distance penalties sign me up)
Ability score boosting items
Skill boosting items for Knowledge religion and spot
Wand of Find the gap
Item of at will prestidigitaion

dantiesilva
2013-05-20, 12:21 AM
In a game I am just in I added a simple Spyglass to my bow and it helped a lot. Your DM may not go for it but mine made such a simple yet smart trick allow me to

Move action to gain the benefits of, free action to maintain, doubles the range increments.

Flickerdart
2013-05-20, 12:55 AM
If you're sniping, you may be better off with a crossbow (Gnomish Crossbow Sights make firing at high distances a lot easier).

As for other items, anything that increases damage is great. Worship Hextor, make an item of Greater Bracers of Archery + those war gauntlets whose name I forget. There's a tidy little damage boost for you.

Mystia
2013-05-20, 06:18 AM
Dragonbone Composite Greatbow of Distance.
Elf-flight arrows.
Crystal ball, so that you can properly see your targets, since you can probably shoot them from over a mile away, now.
I'm afraid I don't know many good items for sniping/archery specifically besides these. (...and I'm actually serious with the Crystal Ball) Anything raising STR and DEX should be useful thought. Besides that, maybe something giving you flight and that made it possible to hover, so you can always fly up and benefit from the Cragtop Archer's bonus damage.

Dirac Lotus
2013-05-20, 06:43 AM
I actually built a sniper not too long ago, and they're great fun. Glass of Distance from Sandstorm lets you see up to ten miles, and works as a quick getaway if need be.
A wand of Find the Gap (draconomicon) lets your next attack strike as a touch attack. If you can get sneak attack a wand of Sniper's Shot let's you remove the range limit on SA for a turn.
If you can fit precise shot in there, consider adding Splitting (CoR I think) to your bow - which splits each arrow you fire into two (each doing damage).

ArcturusV
2013-05-20, 06:50 AM
I suppose the one thing not mentioned is some form of Teleportation on a stick. Wands with Dimension Door or the like. The reason I mention this is, well... all the Range Tricks in the book and such don't mean much if you face the typical Standard Encounter Range problem where your guy that can shoot a mile away has initial contact with the enemy within 100 feet like most encounters I've seen.

So you need some way to open up the range after your DM says "Okay, and you all spot a band of ____ 100 feet away, slinking through the trees" or the like.

Otherwise all the range trickery was entirely pointless. Might as well have saved all the effort.

Fyermind
2013-05-20, 02:40 PM
So I added a list of items I'll try to keep make.

I'm thinking about scrolls and wands right now though. As a seventh level character when I gain the ability to craft wands, I will have a Knowledge Religion modifier of +10 from ranks, +10 from item familiar, +6 from the best books in the world on it, +4 from intelligence, and +2 from education (I burned the feat to get it as a class skill). Lets say I burn 2500 go on an item to boost this check by +5 and I make a sacrifice under ideal conditions for another +5 bonus. This means on an average day I have a modifier of +42 for a total of 52 on my check and all items under 520 gp are essentially free (at the cost of two potentially innocent lives near you).

That lets me make a scroll of Divine Insight caster level 9 for "free" for a +14 bonus on the next check.

I should be able to purchase any item magic item of 660 gp or less for free. Any magic item of less than 4950 gp won't even touch my XP reserves. At eighth level I will take a feat to reduce magic item production costs and my maximum modifier will go up by at least 3 (ranks, familiar, divine insight) such that items of under 940 gp will cost only 4 not necessarily innocent lives.

I should be loading up on useful low levels wands and even high level scrolls. At seventh level a scroll of a fourth level spell caster level seven costs me all of 20 gold, four days, and four lives at an altar.

So what scrolls and wands are worth killing commoners to a sniper? This character should be something of an assassin and the whole party will likely have people who want them dead so ways to keep up to date or stay in hiding are also probably good. Magic arrow effects are also worth while.

Xervous
2013-05-20, 05:37 PM
There is the much lampooned tactic of videogame snipers: run a few miles away and then shoot the guy. This could be accomplished with teleportation and/or flight.

Be sure to get a golfbag of slaying arrows for every occasion. Barring DM stupidity, this will grant you a nice way to coup de grace at ranged against sleeping targets who will automatically fail the save.