PDA

View Full Version : is there any foodstuff that can be sent to Australia??

dehro
2013-05-20, 07:50 AM
by which I mean that it won't be stopped by customs or health and safety inspectors?

my family has had an Australian kid staying with them for 2 months a couple of winters ago, and occasionally he sends us a packet of timtams or similar stuff. we'd like to do the same and send something typical from Italy, but, as far as I know, most foodstuff gets stopped at the border, which makes it more difficult.
any suggestions other than "send him something else"?

SarahV
2013-05-20, 08:01 AM
I'm not Australian, but in general food imports are restricted only for fresh/preserved foods that could potentially carry some kind of bacteria, virus, insects or that could contain seeds that could germinate a non-native plant accidentally: seeds, nuts, meat, eggs, dairy, fruit/veg, etc. I think packaged foods like chocolate or cookies wouldn't normally be a problem.

This page might be helpful, it lists restricted food items for import into Australia:
http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia/cant-take

Serpentine
2013-05-20, 08:16 AM
If it's packaged it's usually alright. I'll check out customs in a sec.
You're right to be cautious, though. Our rules are pretty strict (just a few natural disasters too late).

edit: I think this (http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/mail/cant-mail) is the sort of thing you want.

Archonic Energy
2013-05-23, 03:26 AM
What about cake... can I send cake?

dehro
2013-05-23, 03:59 AM
thanks for the help.. great link, serpentine..
I guess we'll figure something out

Killer Angel
2013-05-24, 06:04 AM
Yeah, if I have to judge by Border Security (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Security:_Australia's_Front_Line), they're pretty strict about foodstuff. :smallwink:

Serpentine
2013-05-24, 11:09 AM
What about cake... can I send cake?if it's packaged, I believe so. And you totally should :smallwink:

Archonic Energy
2013-05-30, 01:19 PM
if it's packaged, I believe so. And you totally should :smallwink:

I'd need some kind of location to send any items to.

gurgleflep
2013-06-03, 12:30 AM
This post is relevant to my interests. One of my friends from Australia went on vacation with her boyfriend and his family this most recent Christmas and sent some Teevee snacks (now my most favorite snack that I can't easily obtain) and Kinder surprises (I got a dinosaur! :smallbiggrin:) to me via mail once in the states. I'm happy I stumbled across this, now I know (for the most part) what I can and cannot send to her :smallsmile:

dehro
2013-06-03, 01:41 AM
ooh.. kinder surprises!
I only relatively recently (as in, less than a year ago, and apparently it's always been like that) found out that they don't make them in the summer.. on account of how they melt in the store-shelves.

gurgleflep
2013-06-03, 02:26 AM
That kinda makes sense. Couldn't they just put them in the one of the various cold sections though? :smallconfused:

dehro
2013-06-03, 03:04 AM
That kinda makes sense. Couldn't they just put them in the one of the various cold sections though? :smallconfused:

it tends to be placed nearby the exit..counting on impulse buying..also, I don't think they make enough money with them to warrant placing it in a cold section, which is more expensive and/or takes away room for products with higher margin.

also, in the hot season they swap it for another product, which keeps better..and of which I don't know the name.

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/2855587_700b.jpg

Serpentine
2013-06-03, 04:46 AM
Uh... No, I'm pretty sure we can buy Kinder Surprises all year round. Grocery stores are almost always air conditioned, after all...

gurgleflep: Dagnabbit, now I want Teevee snacks...

Archie: That can be arranged :smallwink:

dehro
2013-06-03, 05:14 AM
Uh... No, I'm pretty sure we can buy Kinder Surprises all year round. Grocery stores are almost always air conditioned, after all...
the stores, yes, mostly.. houses, not so often, at least here...and I guess most people here frown on the idea of keeping chocolate in the fridge.. (not so my dad's wife, but she's weird and keeps it in the freezer)..or maybe it depends on some health regulation.
I guess that means that Ferrero is making them in Australia, and they follow different guidelines.
or they keep selling their leftover stock during the summer, which also makes sense.
what we get instead during the warm season is this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3d/Kinder-Joy.jpg
a poor substitute, even though the ingredients, down to the toy element, are the same.
abroad it's called a Kinder Joy.

Serpentine
2013-06-03, 05:18 AM
:smallconfused:
Uh... Yeah, no. Dunno if where you are is hotter than here or what, but Kinder Surprises are available exactly the same all year round in Australia. Never even seen those things before (though granted I haven't been looking).

Iruka
2013-06-10, 04:04 PM
:smallconfused:
Uh... Yeah, no. Dunno if where you are is hotter than here or what, but Kinder Surprises are available exactly the same all year round in Australia. Never even seen those things before (though granted I haven't been looking).

Maybe they don't switch in Australia because air conditioning is more common? I can't imagine Italy being that much hotter than Australia.

Scarlet Knight
2013-06-18, 08:21 PM
by which I mean that it won't be stopped by customs or health and safety inspectors?

my family has had an Australian kid staying with them for 2 months a couple of winters ago, and occasionally he sends us a packet of timtams or similar stuff. we'd like to do the same and send something typical from Italy, but, as far as I know, most foodstuff gets stopped at the border, which makes it more difficult.
any suggestions other than "send him something else"?

How about Nutello?