PDA

View Full Version : how useful would you rank the various mount PRC's?

CyberThread
2013-05-20, 10:03 AM
How sort of score would you give the varoius mounted prc options?

thethird
2013-05-20, 10:11 AM
There are quite a lot of them, what do you intend to do?

For example I will mark the Zentharim sky mage as a really useful PRC for a wizard, while marking the halfling outrider as not helpful for a wizard. Still the halfling outrider is the best PrC for the devoted tracker.

CyberThread
2013-05-20, 12:11 PM
Honestly, am sort of looking at all my options right now, for what can be done.

Deepbluediver
2013-05-20, 12:16 PM
My experience is that they are situationally dependent on whether or not the DM lets you take your mount into tight spaces. Your heavy warhorse will be kind of a waste when you're crawling narrow passage-ways and sneaking through the keep.

That being said, if you goal is just damage, charging/ride-by-attack can generate some impressive numbers and (usually) keep you pretty safe from counter-assault. I would look for a PrC that either contributes to your other melee class features as well, or that you can gain most of the best benefits with just a few ranks.

WhatBigTeeth
2013-05-20, 01:28 PM
I think Zhentarim Skymage has a pretty firm grasp of the #1 slot: full casting, can pick any flying monster with HD = class level + Charisma + 1. With high charisma and/or class-level-stacking shenanigans, it opens up all sorts of directions for abuse.

CyberThread
2013-05-20, 02:28 PM
skymage is pretty awesome, but also pretty evil, lol.

thethird
2013-05-20, 02:36 PM
It doesn't require you to be evil. Looking at it (again)... It would make a great PrC for archivists.

Gwendol
2013-05-20, 09:08 PM
Cavalier and the OA mounted PrC's are good for fighter types, while Aglorandan griffon riders do well as Paladins. Moonsea sky sentinel is another rather cool mounted PrC, of the light cavalry type.
Ashworm dragoon is often mentioned as one of the better mounted PrC's, but that could be because it's so exotic...

ArcturusV
2013-05-20, 09:16 PM
That and almost every "Dragoon" in fiction tends to be an incredible badass. :smallwink:

I'll toss in Divine Celebate. It's a 5 level PrC, gives you a unicorn as a paladin-esque mount. Does not actually require you to be female unlike most Unicorn PrCs. Allows you to keep advancing Paladin if you came into it from the Paladin Class. Gives you stuff like Turning Evil Outsiders as a cleric of your Character Level. A smattering of spellcasting off a unique list.

Your mount gets the usual Paladin-esque abilities, Empathy, Share Spells, Improved Speed, etc. Your Unicorn doesn't have a Home Region so it can't Greater Teleport to it at will. It does get a 1/day Greater Teleport at 5th level. It also gets the Celestial Template, and DR 5/Evil, which helps with the usual "Mounts are insanely fragile" issues.

There's worse you could do.

CyberThread
2013-05-20, 09:24 PM
isnt div celb, a umm erotic fantasy book?

ArcturusV
2013-05-20, 09:28 PM
Yeah. No reason it can be used though. *shrug* Still a valid book. And the class in question has absolutely nothing to do with "Hurr hurr, sex". In fact, quite the opposite. You Fall if you fool around. So yeah. No reason not to use it. Even if your group is juvenile and can't handle it, it just won't come up.

Vaz
2013-05-20, 09:34 PM
Zhentarim Skymage.

Magic Blooded Human Fighter 1/Sha'ir 1/Skymage 5/Uncanny Trickster 3/Legacy Champion 10/

Requires Int 14 for Skills.

H) Magical Training
F1) Mounted Combat
1) Versatile Spellcaster
Flaw 1) Heighten Spell
Flaw 2) Combat Casting
Otyugh Hole)Iron Will

Congratulations. You now have a ~29HD Flying mount as your Slave.

For further shenanigans, have as part of the party something able to cast any spells to get a Charisma score of around 52, and have a 37 HD Mount.

My favourite of the moment is a Purple Dragon (Dragon Mag), who can use his Breath Weapon as a Sword with Iterative attacks doing ~11d10 damage with each hit or something daft.